UC Davis CO 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They don't publish how many OOSers get interviewed either but people who've asked in previous years have heard about 20-25 are interviewed out of the approximately 500 OOS applicants they get every year.

You won't know if you have an interview at Davis for another month or so if they follow their normal timeline. Last few years they've notified of interviews in early Feb and conducted them from mid Feb to mid March. So I guess it depends on how far in advance you would need to use the voucher!

Members don't see this ad.

In killing time until Feb. I decided to check out the published "criteria for selection" on the UCD website.

One part says: "Because GPAs and GRE scores are weighted equally in the admissions process, a below-average GPA may be balanced by above-average GRE scores (greater than 70 percent). Conversely, GRE scores that are below average may be balanced by higher-than-average GPAs."

Does anyone know if they average the percentiles for the three components? I got a 92%, 69%, and 81%, which averages to 80%. I'm hoping this will make up for my bad o-chem grades which pulled my GPA down. Do you think the 69% in quantitative looks bad because the others are higher? I'm worried that it is an indication of my science "smarts".

How much should I believe what they say anyway? They also said they wouldn't consider fall grades, but then on the phone they said they will and they need transcripts.

Anyone with insider info want to chime in?
Thanks!

** * I wouldn't worry too much about gre vs gpa at this point. Start doing what you can to prep for an interview (stay positive, right?). *If your interview is so so you'll probably end up on the waitlist at best no matter what your other stats are (I'm sure there are execptions). *If you don't get an interview you'll have time to work on your gpa and/or gre. *Just my two cents. **

Members don't see this ad :)
my (very) general advice is don't bother trying to analyze the breakdowns of gre, gpa, interview, fall grades, previous grades, whatever, blah for any school. it will only trap you into thinking that you have a sure thing at some places and no chance at others.

i know pre vets are crazy and obsessed because i did my share of this stuff too and the school i thought i had no chance at, i got right in, and one of my "shoe-in" schools waitlisted me which was a huggggge shocker (but totally fine lol) so basically it was all a waste of time. besides once you get to vet school all those obsessive type-a behaviors will not really help you and will probably make you feel more crazy than you need to. so use this time to learn to RELAX and remember how to have FUN.

i don't know what your straight quant score was but it sounds like your overall GRE score was not bad. if o-chem is the only thing pulling your GPA down then i wouldn't spend too much time stressing about that either.

your application is submitted and you can't change anything on it now, so spend your time learning about the schools you've applied to that might interview you, prepping some interview skills, getting a hot interview outfit so that you feel like a million bucks, and generally pumping up your confidence. plus the relax and have fun stuff i mentioned before.

good luck everyone! hope to see ya at the interview workshop.

now time for sleep...

x

edit - i think its very likely that davis does consider fall grades in the application process. there is no reason that they wouldn't, especially since they leave their decision making right to the verrrrry end of the timeline LOL.

Last edited:
Thanks Starlene. I guess after three rejections, with only Davis left, I feel like I have allot riding on it. I'm so tired of feeling like I'm in a holding pattern. I'll be 30 in a few months, I'm married, and waiting to buy a house wherever I get in, and I'm ready already!!!

Last edited:
Sorry guys, don't know why this keeps reposting. I was just trying to reload the page!

Last edited:
Again, gosh I'm retarted.

Current students just got emails asking for volunteers to do the interview workshop. It's scheduled for February 20th.

Current students just got emails asking for volunteers to do the interview workshop. It's scheduled for February 20th.

That's soon! Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Was just about to give that same heads up! Good job, JustCats!

Awesome. So for those of us hoping to get an interview invite, do you current students know if all interviews are scheduled after that workshop, like the following week? 2/20 is a Saturday, so does the school try to plan it so applicants travelling far could come for the workshop on the weekend and then maybe do the interview on that Monday or Tuesday? I'd love to go to the workshop and I only live about a 7 hour drive away, but it would be nice to get everything done in one trip.

Awesome. So for those of us hoping to get an interview invite, do you current students know if all interviews are scheduled after that workshop, like the following week? 2/20 is a Saturday, so does the school try to plan it so applicants travelling far could come for the workshop on the weekend and then maybe do the interview on that Monday or Tuesday? I'd love to go to the workshop and I only live about a 7 hour drive away, but it would be nice to get everything done in one trip.

If everything is the same as in the past, the interviews will start on Monday, 2/22 - you schedule your interview based on availability.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year they spread them out over the three or four weeks after the workshop. There is or will be a link to watch a video of a past workshop. I did that last year instead of making the long trip up.

So I know an in-state 2nd time applicant who apparently got a rejection already (not me).

Oh yeah, apparently I skipped this:

If your interview is so so you'll probably end up on the waitlist at best no matter what your other stats are (I'm sure there are execptions).

No, that's wrong. It really is the case that if you're near the bottom of the list of people they're interviewing in stats your interview will definitely need to go better than so-so. My interview was not awesome, but it was not terrible either - in fact the exact feedback I got was that it was "okay.." which seems like a synonym of "so-so," and I was flat out rejected post interview, mostly because of my GPA and a somewhat unclear personal statement/experience connection.

Last edited:
So I know an in-state 2nd time applicant who apparently got a rejection already (not me).

:eek: Are you serious? I was just getting used to NOT obsessing about school for a little while. I was under the impression that people didn't really hear about rejections, that is if they didn't get invited for an interview, until much later, like after they were done with the interviews and stuff. Am I wrong?

Well, the person I know got rejected around the same time last year too (early January). And there were other people on here who mentioned knowing people who had already been rejected by the time interview invites went out in previous years, but they seem to be few and far between.

edit: She's a decent applicant, waitlisted at CSU OOS.

Well, the person I know got rejected around the same time last year too (early January). And there were other people on here who mentioned knowing people who had already been rejected by the time interview invites went out in previous years, but they seem to be few and far between.

So I guess at this point no news it good news.

I thought your personal statement this year was excellent and focused. I've got my fingers crossed for you. :xf:

My interview was not awesome, but it was not terrible either - in fact the exact feedback I got was that it was "okay.." which seems like a synonym of "so-so," and I was flat out rejected post interview, mostly because of my GPA and a somewhat unclear personal statement/experience connection.

It really is the case that if you're near the bottom of the list of people they're interviewing in stats your interview will definitely need to go better than so-so.

Yeah, that's what I meant by making it on the waitlist "at best". The point I was making is that no matter what your stats are if your interview is so-so (or worse) you're probably not going to get a straight acceptance. Obviously if your stats are iffy you need to "wow" in your interview and if your stats are awesome you might be okay with a pretty good interview. Just my opinion. ;)

Oh, I read it as "at worst" for some reason. That's what I get for not paying attention. :D

My professor (who was adcom the year I applied) actually said that there pretty much are people who are sure-shots as long as the interview isn't completely terrible, though.

I just had a question for Davis people - do we need to send them a Fall transcript? I couldn't find anything on the site other than a statement saying Fall 09 grades will not be used to calculate GPA, but I don't actually see anyplace where it says a Fall transcript must be received by XYZ date.

I just had a question for Davis people - do we need to send them a Fall transcript? I couldn't find anything on the site other than a statement saying Fall 09 grades will not be used to calculate GPA, but I don't actually see anyplace where it says a Fall transcript must be received by XYZ date.

I'm pretty sure we need to send them, although I don't remember where I found that out. It's written on a sticky on my computer right now.

I called Davis last week and they said to send them ASAP -- didn't give me a date but just said ASAP.

I would most definitely send in fall transcripts. Invites will probably be going out in a month (give or take) so get them in fast if you haven't already!

I just signed up to host a couple interviewees during February so I am super excited to meet the next batch of vet-wannabees (who will turn into vet-will-be's!). For the rest of you who might not sign up for a host student or are close enough to Davis to drive in for the interview only, I wanted to offer myself as a guide around town or on campus. :D Just PM me if you want!

Best of luck!

I just signed up to host a couple interviewees during February so I am super excited to meet the next batch of vet-wannabees (who will turn into vet-will-be's!). For the rest of you who might not sign up for a host student or are close enough to Davis to drive in for the interview only, I wanted to offer myself as a guide around town or on campus. :D Just PM me if you want!

Best of luck!

I'm offering my services as "host" as well (both formally through the school and informally on here). Incendium04 and I are friends, so there's no competition between us! :p

I am also informed that I will be one of the students on the interview workshop panel - so for those of you that make it to the workshop, don't be shy, come and say hi and introduce yourselves!

Feel free to PM me as well before or after the workshop...I'm usually near a computer...

P.S. Incendium04 - You missed some awesome powder today at Kirkwood! :p

Ugh! Don't even mention the powder! I've given up snowboarding the last two years for my studies. That's allot, considering I used to live in Tahoe. Did you not have class today?

Ugh! Don't even mention the powder! I've given up snowboarding the last two years for my studies. That's allot, considering I used to live in Tahoe. Did you not have class today?

Wow - that's a big sacrafice, squibby! Hopefully you'll get accepted and can join us on the slopes!

We didn't have class on Friday (making this a 4-day weekend before 2 exams) but 1st years were the only ones that didn't have class. I'm not going to complain as it gave me a free day to ski! :D

I'm not officially a host, but I'm also offering to show people around campus and our facilities and answer any questions. I'm extremely proud to be a student here, and would love to show people why! Just send me a PM :)

I'm offering my services as "host" as well (both formally through the school and informally on here). Incendium04 and I are friends, so there's no competition between us! :p

I am also informed that I will be one of the students on the interview workshop panel - so for those of you that make it to the workshop, don't be shy, come and say hi and introduce yourselves!

Feel free to PM me as well before or after the workshop...I'm usually near a computer...

When is the workshop? They haven't posted anything online. Do you know when they might start sending out interview notifications?

Does anyone know when UC-Davis prereqs are due? I still need to take Advanced Physiology, but UCD is the only school that required that prereq. I'd rather not spend the $1250 for the distance course if I dont need to (ie. rejection). On their website they simply say that all courses must be finished prior to matriculation, so I take that to mean I can take the course in the late spring/early summer once we know we've been accepted or not? I'll probably try to remember to send them an email tomorrow and ask but I figured if someone here knows that would be great.

Does anyone know when UC-Davis prereqs are due? I still need to take Advanced Physiology, but UCD is the only school that required that prereq. I'd rather not spend the $1250 for the distance course if I dont need to (ie. rejection). On their website they simply say that all courses must be finished prior to matriculation, so I take that to mean I can take the course in the late spring/early summer once we know we've been accepted or not? I'll probably try to remember to send them an email tomorrow and ask but I figured if someone here knows that would be great.

I was told by the admissions office that finishing the remaining coursework in the summer is fine.

I was told by the admissions office that finishing the remaining coursework in the summer is fine.

Yep - a couple years ago when they sent my acceptance they listed the missing prereq I needed to take before starting, and the admissions office was pretty helpful in helping me figure out where I could take that class (they are much more helpful once you're accepted, probably b/c there's fewer people/?s to deal with.)

Yep - a couple years ago when they sent my acceptance they listed the missing prereq I needed to take before starting, and the admissions office was pretty helpful in helping me figure out where I could take that class (they are much more helpful once you're accepted, probably b/c there's fewer people/?s to deal with.)

That's how it was last year too - they told me the remaining classes they were still waiting for me to complete (5 at the time - sheesh!)

And to reiterate, the workshop is scheduled for February 20th - morning through early afternoon.

told me the remaining classes they were still waiting for me to complete (5 at the time - sheesh!)

Wow, I've kinda been worried that the fact that I had unfinished prereques. would be a bad thing. I bet you had stellar stats though.

How much notice did you get for your interview?

Feb. 20 is only a month away! They will be doing interviews in the weeks immediately following the workshop, right?

If you don't get an interview, is it still worth going to the workshop? I'm afraid I would cry, looking around at those who did get interviews.

If you don't get an interview, is it still worth going to the workshop? I'm afraid I would cry, looking around at those who did get interviews.

I went last year, even though I didn't apply. It's still pretty worth it IMO if it isn't too much trouble for you to get here.

I am not sure after nyanko's response, but I was under the impression that it was an invite only kind of deal...there might have been part of it that anyone could attend, but I recall that there was a point that they said it was only for interviewing students.

I could be mistaken, so please correct me if I am wrong...

It's still pretty worth it IMO if it isn't too much trouble for you to get here.
~ 1hr. I might get tempted to keep driving and go to Tahoe, but I'll probably go if you say it is worth it.

I am not sure after nyanko's response, but I was under the impression that it was an invite only kind of deal...there might have been part of it that anyone could attend, but I recall that there was a point that they said it was only for interviewing students.

I could be mistaken, so please correct me if I am wrong...

It looked like the morning was for anyone, and the afternoon only for those with interviews.

It looked like the morning was for anyone, and the afternoon only for those with interviews.

Yeah, this is the case. The interview workshop is open to anybody, and the interviewee orientation afterwards is only for those with interviews.

The orientation is fun too, though I think it made the subsequent rejection sting even more.

wow, i wish they would give us OOSers a little more advanced notice so we could go to the workshop and interview if we were interested.

A week or less isn't really going to cut it for me, so IF i get an interview invite I guess I can throw going to the workshop out the door. too bad. It sounded like something I would really have liked to do plus it would have given me time to check out the area and just experience a little bit of California since I've never been there.

I'm a little dissappointed.

i'm with you, gellabella. it seems a little absurd that they can't plan for a bit more time between notifying interviewees and, um, interviewing. especially for OOS-ers, and those who have to make complicated travel plans. i'm probably getting preemptively annoyed because my chances of getting an interview are teeny-tiny--but if i do get that far, my bank account will have a few things to say about buying a plane ticket on such short notice...

anybody know if they send you an interview date automatically, or if interviewees get to choose?

Last year, they had us call the school to schedule the interview.

I know their timing is not exactly budget friendly, but feel free to use your student host or your contacts on SDN (myself, Pomona2006, jjohnston) to cut costs... I would be happy to pick people up from the airport, put people up for the night or whatever.

Good luck! I know everyone will be hearing from UC Davis soon!

Hah, typical UC. Completely not helpful. :thumbdown:
That's such a pain for you OOSers. I can at least drive 8 hours, spend the night at home and drive the last 2 hours to Davis the morning of.

I'm definitely excited for the interview workshop. I'm going interview or no (even though I will be considerably more bitter in the case of the latter). I have a class in Valley Hall this quarter and it's getting me PUMPED. You vet students are so lucky...swivel chairs and white boards??! :thumbup:

I know their timing is not exactly budget friendly, but feel free to use your student host or your contacts on SDN (myself, Pomona2006, jjohnston) to cut costs... I would be happy to pick people up from the airport, put people up for the night or whatever.

Aw, that's so nice! IF I get an interview I can offer a ride up there from the Oakland or SF airport that day.

CorporateFatCat, so you're one of the people occupying OUR seats. hehe, jk. I was wondering what all the people were doing in there, since I never recognized any 2nd years. What class is that?

I have to say, the chairs are awful nice... although the downfall is people falling asleep too easily. I just had a radiology lab in the VMTH and the old wooden chairs with the flip up desk (the size of a piece of paper) are no longer cutting it for me!

Things to look forward to in vet school: professor's explaining how an x-ray machine works by playing a budlight commercial on paintball. :D Radiology was awesome today!