Ubc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shetland

pony
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when the start day for med1 at UBC will be this year? or when did they start last year. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

shetland said:
Anyone know when the start day for med1 at UBC will be this year? or when did they start last year. Thank you :)

Were you accepted this year? If so, congrats, and which other schools have started sending acceptance letters?

I am still waiting to hear. Just curious whether UBC start in August or September. I dont know about Cdn schools, but UBC is sending out mid May I believe. Did you apply this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
shetland said:
I am still waiting to hear. Just curious whether UBC start in August or September. I dont know about Cdn schools, but UBC is sending out mid May I believe. Did you apply this year?

Nope, but I will be applying next year for the first time.

akinf said:
Nope, but I will be applying next year for the first time.
good luck akinf. if you have any ques... just pm me

shetland said:
good luck akinf. if you have any ques... just pm me

Cool, thanks.

thatuvicguy said:
We started in late August this year.

Yes, thank you.

Do you know when we will get our registration package? (the one after we accepted the UBC offer) Thanks

hey thatuvicguy, I'm assuming you're at IMP from your username -- were any of your classmates people who were accepted at NMP initially and then switched to IMP once the waitlist started moving. any idea? This is my situation (accepted to NMP, my 3rd choice) and I'm just wondering what the chances of getting relocated are going to be.

jmnykrkts said:
hey thatuvicguy, I'm assuming you're at IMP from your username -- were any of your classmates people who were accepted at NMP initially and then switched to IMP once the waitlist started moving. any idea? This is my situation (accepted to NMP, my 3rd choice) and I'm just wondering what the chances of getting relocated are going to be.

jmny i heard they move about 20 off the waitlist as a whole not sure within site.

thatuvicguy said:
We started in late August this year.

and I heard little of you since then...

First year is almost over. How does it feel. 25% completed. Don't forget us little people.

Oooo! Another forum! Just what I was looking for :D LOL. See you Aug. 28th Shetland! How's the house-hunt going?

Members don't see this ad :)
tiger_lily said:
Oooo! Another forum! Just what I was looking for :D LOL. See you Aug. 28th Shetland! How's the house-hunt going?

lol. hey tiger. i am still looking. i found some nice ones but they are almost $1100 per month, incl utilities.

sdn is cool

shetland said:
lol. hey tiger. i am still looking. i found some nice ones but they are almost $1100 per month, incl utilities.

sdn is cool

Are you considering living with a roommate? I'm not sure what to do yet. I'd like to be on my own but it's freaking EXPENSIVE! Any current med students out there who can give advice on whether or not to consider having a roommate? :)

tiger_lily said:
Are you considering living with a roommate? I'm not sure what to do yet. I'd like to be on my own but it's freaking EXPENSIVE! Any current med students out there who can give advice on whether or not to consider having a roommate? :)

It really depends on the person, which determines the sanity of the house. I have always lived with my partner. I may want to try to live on my own. Or else share a 2 bedroom apartment.

Are you excited to start?

LOL - I'm practically tripping over my own feet in anticipation of just getting the Registration Package!!! :laugh: I lost my mailbox key on Thursday though so now I have to wait until my landlords check... and they only do once a week or so! ARGH!!! :D
I guess I'm mostly focusing on the student loans/Line of Credit end of things right now, as well as housing. I don't really know where to start for either!
Oh well, nothing like learning to swim by just jumping in!

do you have friends entering the same year?

thats rough losing your mailbox key. i remember our mailbox used to be down the hill and we depended on the landlord to get it for us because there is so much snow. lol.

shetland said:

thats rough losing your mailbox key. i remember our mailbox used to be down the hill and we depended on the landlord to get it for us because there is so much snow. lol.

Tiger_Lily - don't worry about the LOC thing; it's a real sinch to get at any Royal Bank. I think CIBC may have one too...

I got my LOC because I thought I was going to the US for school, and I'd be needing tons of cash. Also, RBC gives 150K, but if you want more off the bat, you can ask for it (I got 160K).

As for housing, I've been renting in Vancouver for $900/mo. I got a 1 bdrm in Kitsilano (sweet location), but I'm moving back home for the summer, as I'm not going to be working anymore. It's time for a vacation.

I think I gotta start looking for housing again...I may be staying at uBC afterall. I still have 24 hrs to decide btwn UBC and Queen's..haha..

ridiculous question, I know, and totally off topic (apologies), but any idea what kind of time off ubc students get the summer after second year?

jmnykrkts said:
ridiculous question, I know, and totally off topic (apologies), but any idea what kind of time off ubc students get the summer after second year?

They have the yearly schedules up on the faculty of medicine website; I was looking at them last night, and if memory serves me, 2nd year ends right at the end of May.

ubcredfox said:
They have the yearly schedules up on the faculty of medicine website; I was looking at them last night, and if memory serves me, 2nd year ends right at the end of May.

Which school did you pick fox??

ubcredfox said:

True, but it's not entirely clear when 3rd year starts. It says september on the website but there is a rural med stint that is 4-8 weeks and I'm not sure if that starts in the summer.

jmnykrkts said:
True, but it's not entirely clear when 3rd year starts. It says september on the website but there is a rural med stint that is 4-8 weeks and I'm not sure if that starts in the summer.

congrats jmny,
hope you'll get your first choice.
cheers

shetland said:
congrats jmny,
hope you'll get your first choice.
cheers

Thanks shetland. congrats to you too ;)

yeah, this site thing is stressing me out big time. my girlfriend will not be able find a job in her line of work up in PG. basically, what the situation boils down to is that if I decide to go up there it could mean disaster for our relationship :(

ubcredfox said:
Tiger_Lily - don't worry about the LOC thing; it's a real sinch to get at any Royal Bank. I think CIBC may have one too...

I got my LOC because I thought I was going to the US for school, and I'd be needing tons of cash. Also, RBC gives 150K, but if you want more off the bat, you can ask for it (I got 160K).

As for housing, I've been renting in Vancouver for $900/mo. I got a 1 bdrm in Kitsilano (sweet location), but I'm moving back home for the summer, as I'm not going to be working anymore. It's time for a vacation.

I think I gotta start looking for housing again...I may be staying at uBC afterall. I still have 24 hrs to decide btwn UBC and Queen's..haha..

Thanks for the advice, Redfox! So... what did you decide?!

shetland said:

Nope, I don't know anyone entering. Plus I'm moving from the Island to the mainland, which is going to be a huge change for me, being Island-born-and-raised and all. Now that it's sinking in, and I'm finding out there won't be any HOCKEY!, I'm wondering if I should have chosen IMP...
I think I'm going to have to bug my landlords for their key, LOL. I'm going mental!

jmnykrkts said:

yeah, this site thing is stressing me out big time. my girlfriend will not be able find a job in her line of work up in PG. basically, what the situation boils down to is that if I decide to go up there it could mean disaster for our relationship :(

What line of work is she in? Is she willing to work in another line of work for a couple of years?

jmnykrkts said:

Please dont assume that long distance will be disasterous. You'll never know, and you can deal with issues when you cross that bridge. I firmly believe if she is right for you, things will work itself out. Perhaps not financially, but thats another story...

tiger_lily said:
Nope, I don't know anyone entering. Plus I'm moving from the Island to the mainland, which is going to be a huge change for me, being Island-born-and-raised and all. Now that it's sinking in, and I'm finding out there won't be any HOCKEY!, I'm wondering if I should have chosen IMP...
I think I'm going to have to bug my landlords for their key, LOL. I'm going mental!

Yeah they tore the hockey ring down, to build a new one.

Tiger... you'll know me!! kinda, your ubc sdn friend... lol. And I can introduce you to my friend.

Shetland23, TigerLily:

Sorry for the long delay, but I've been agonizing over this decision for a while!

So here's my decision: UBC Class of 2010 :D !!

I personally delivered my admission forms this morning!

I'm really looking forward to meeting some new and incredible people in August.

hehe...UBC...ahh...another four years...

ubcredfox said:
Shetland23, TigerLily:

Sorry for the long delay, but I've been agonizing over this decision for a while!

but... but...
you got into dartmouth?
i can understand the lure of vancouver, and sure, school is cheaper here in canada...
but...

ubcredfox said:
Shetland23, TigerLily:

I look forwards to meeting you as well. Once again, Congratulations. Well done.

ubcredfox said:
Shetland23, TigerLily:

Yay! Two friends!

*Two, ah ah ah* (ala the Count)

Congrats Fox, can't wait to meet you :)

tiger_lily said:
Yay! Two friends!

*Two, ah ah ah* (ala the Count)

Congrats Fox, can't wait to meet you :)

Yes! TWO! :D

Ya, I know letting go of Dartmouth would make certain people in the US cry. Don't take me wrong, Dartmouth is an incredible - incredible - school. The facilities at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center are by far the very best I've ever seen. The students were incredibly friendly too.

But, I want to stay in Canada; it's my home, and I can always go to the US for residency if I like. But, for now, I want to stay here.

And yes, it was cheaper, which did play into it for me as I would have had to carry a lot of debt for 4 years.

ubcredfox said:
Yes! TWO! :D

Ya, I know letting go of Dartmouth would make certain people in the US cry. Don't take me wrong, Dartmouth is an incredible - incredible - school. The facilities at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center are by far the very best I've ever seen. The students were incredibly friendly too.

But, I want to stay in Canada; it's my home, and I can always go to the US for residency if I like. But, for now, I want to stay here.

And yes, it was cheaper, which did play into it for me as I would have had to carry a lot of debt for 4 years.

I don't think Dartmouth has that good of a medical school. Don't let the Ivy Leaguy thing fool you. It may be really good for undergrad., but I don't think it's one of the ones up there for medicine. If you want to go to a more prestigious school, UBC is the better choice. So I wouldn't feel that bad about rejecting Dartmouth, not that big a deal.

ubcredfox said:

I don't think it'll make anyone cry. In fact it will make one US student who gets in off the waitlist very very happy. I'm sending in my letter turning down my Columbia spot today and it does hurt just a wee bit as I felt the same way about Columbia as you do about Dartmouth. But the 12 page Columbia waitlist thread in the pre-med forum suggests that someone else will be thrilled to get my place.

I think you made the right decision and can't wait to meet everyone in Aug - Tigerlily sooner if we ever go climbing!

ssc_396 said:
I think you made the right decision and can't wait to meet everyone in Aug - Tigerlily sooner if we ever go climbing!

I know! Sorry about the long delay in my response... you did get my email on Wednesday though, yeah? Just want to make sure it went through. I'm *seriously* hoping that I can cut down on the work hours in the next few weeks. There's WAY too much fun to be had to be stuck doing something like making money or paying bills! :laugh:

These boards are awesome - I really feel so much more connected to my class already because of you guys. I was a little apprehensive about leaving behind everything I knew for a new city, a new school, and no friends! But we'll have to arrange to meet up on the first day of orientation, if not earlier. I'll wear a pink carnation :D

tiger_lily said:
I know! Sorry about the long delay in my response... you did get my email on Wednesday though, yeah? Just want to make sure it went through. I'm *seriously* hoping that I can cut down on the work hours in the next few weeks. There's WAY too much fun to be had to be stuck doing something like making money or paying bills! :laugh:

These boards are awesome - I really feel so much more connected to my class already because of you guys. I was a little apprehensive about leaving behind everything I knew for a new city, a new school, and no friends! But we'll have to arrange to meet up on the first day of orientation, if not earlier. I'll wear a pink carnation :D
Hey, it's you again! ;) Are you coming to the Airshow this summer or what?

I'm all for meeting up with you guys either first day of orientation or earlier - even better :)

I should be around in August, but I'm still finalizing a lot of my travel plans for the summer...so...I'll try to keep in touch.

SSC396 - turning down Columbia, wow. Yes, it will make someone on the waitlist happy; come to think of it, I'm on that waitlist..haha ;)

leviathan said:
Hey, it's you again! ;) Are you coming to the Airshow this summer or what?

LOL. Who knows?! I'll definitely let you know if I do though :)

ubcredfox said:
I'
SSC396 - turning down Columbia, wow. Yes, it will make someone on the waitlist happy; come to think of it, I'm on that waitlist..haha ;)

And I was on the Queens waitlist :laugh: At least we're both winding up somewhere we want to be.

hey ssc
are you the person I know from L'Angleterre?
looks like I'll be heading over to England and then to Portugal to catch some surf for Aug.
Hope all is well with everyone.
I am aiming for 100+ post before I go back to school. lol

hey shetland, you surf? that's awesome. I was really really hoping that if I didn't land the VFMP spot that I would at least get the IMP so I could go for post-class sessions at sombrio now and again... :(
oh well, heading to Australia for a month before class starts to get in some goods :) hope portugal delivers for you :luck:

jmnykrkts said:
hey shetland, you surf? that's awesome. I was really really hoping that if I didn't land the VFMP spot that I would at least get the IMP so I could go for post-class sessions at sombrio now and again... :(
oh well, heading to Australia for a month before class starts to get in some goods :) hope portugal delivers for you :luck:

jimny

did you get into the vancouver site? i remember you mentioned you got into the northern program.

You are going to have so much fun in Oz, my friend is doing his med school in Brisbane and he gets to surf before class.

I actually applied to med at Hawaii, but did not get accepted, I am hoping that they will let me do a elective there.

I look forwards to meeting you come August.

Take care

ps becareful, Oz is known for its (shallow) reef breaks, I had a bad experience in Fiji

Hey Shetland,

no, I didn't get the vancouver or island site unfortunately so I'll be heading to PG come January (unless I can find someone willing to switch - which apparently has happened in the past). A bit of a bummer in some respects but I certainly can't complain about a seat - ANY seat - in med school. I am psyched about the opportunity nonetheless.

How insane would it be to go to Hawaii for med school? I considered applying there but noticed that it's extremely tough for non-Hawaiians to gain acceptance. I also looked at a bunch of Cali schools but same story for non-residents there (except maybe USC Keck but I think you need to speak Spanish fluently to get in there), maybe even worse.

Yeah, I'm reallly looking forward to Australia. I spent a semester there during undergrad - very good times. Some of the reef breaks are indeed sketchy but if you're smart about tides and where you paddle it's rarely a problem. But it's going to be mid-winter when I get there so it will be BIG ... but that's where the fun lies (usually :scared: )

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you too.

Enjoy your summer.

Hey jimny

Congratulations on getting into UBC! How do you feel? I am starting to feel exciting for med school, as nerdy as it sounds.

Yah, its difficult but not impossible to get into Hawaii. I have a friend that got in as an out of state. But it was one of the best interviews I have ever had, and I made some fantastic friends there. We should get a group together and go during winter break (where the big waves are), providing we can afford it, before you go to NMP (I do hope you stay in Vanc tho). Do you dive too?

Whereabouts in Australia are you going to? I cant believe its a month and abit before I head towards Portugal... I am so excited. I hear Portugal is kinda a hit and miss (not as consistant as Oz, Fiji or Hawaii), so I hope I can catch a few good waves before coming home. You know in the UK, there is a BSc degree in surf science.

Anyways with regards to getting a place in VMP or IMP, try to get to know as many people as possible and then it will be easier to ask. And you dont want to miss the oportunity when they do want to switch, so ask early. and dont be nervous about asking, as what is the worse that could happen?

"Expect nothing and receive everything"

Take care.

Jx

ps I want to be on holiday now