Thinking of UBC med after completing an unrelated masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanmrm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here but I wanted to get a few opinions on what a good plan of action would be.

Currently, I'm 23 yo and in a graduate program at SFU in natural resource management and planning. I've always pondered the idea of medical school and I know I could be a successful physician. I'm mostly interested in being a GP and working in a semi rural area. I wouldn't describe medicine as my passion, but I enjoy problem solving and helping people and I really value job security, flexibility, and growth.

My s/o is about to begin his career in Prince George, BC and my degree lends itself to that region, however my career would likely culminate in Victoria. His job also has the added benefit of funding education for himself and family members, which has refreshed the idea of medical school in my mind.

However, I have a few reservations:

1. If I apply this year or next year, I would have just finished my masters and will have not given that career path a fighting chance. I would be starting med school as age 25/26 and if I did a GP residency, be finished by the time I'm 31/32. I could always wait and apply 2-3 years after I have finished my masters, but then I wouldn't be finished school until my mid thirties.

2. I always thought I wanted kids in my late twenties, but how I would attend medical school and have children is beyond me. I know it's possible, but I feel like I would be missing out on a lot of things both with school and family. Does anyone have experience with having kids while in school or having really young kids? How did you manage that?

I'm also curious about my chance of being successfully admitted to UBC...
My undergrad is in Forest Science at UBC and my average was 87.7%. I will grad from SFU with close to a 4.0 GPA based on my first semester marks. I have not written the MCAT so I can't comment on that. I would like to work with Aboriginal communities/rural communities and I have a really diverse range of experience from agriculture, to forestry, to politics.

Do y'all have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I did AP English and when I went to UBC they gave me 6 english credits for it. Do you know if UBC med will recognize AP English as 6 credits or only 3?