UBC Pharmacy 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystal6055

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I thought I might as well start the thread for UBC's pharm application for the 2013-2014 school year since no one has started one yet and we are already into November! Feel free to discuss any related pharmacy questions. Goodluck to all of us this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!
I thought I might as well start the thread for UBC's pharm application for the 2013-2014 school year since no one has started one yet and we are already into November! Feel free to discuss any related pharmacy questions. Goodluck to all of us this year!

Moved to the appropriate forum.

If it would be possible to post the link to which this thread has been moved, it would be appreciated immensely!

Members don't see this ad :)
This a thread for students applying to the pharmacy program for September 2013.

Hahaha hello! I actually made a ubc pharmacy thread last week xD. I'm so confused hahaha....

If anyone knows the link for the forum and can copy+paste it here, it'd be really helpful, thanks!

What is the place where the pharmacy discussion in happening? I would really like to know since the application deadline is approaching very quickly and discussions about the process would be helpful.

What is the place where the pharmacy discussion in happening? I would really like to know since the application deadline is approaching very quickly and discussions about the process would be helpful.

Ohh me too! The deadlines coming up, but this thread is dead... Does that mean less people are applying o___o

Anyone in 3rd year or with a degree applying to UBC phar?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people are applying after 1st year sciences? I am one of them.. kind of nervous since 1st does not cover all the material necessary on the PCAT.

Why would u say that....are u a pharmacy student ?

ignore him.
Obviously he doesn't want ppl to get in to the pharmacy because he is very narrow minded.
I can't believe anyone who is this selfish got into the pharmacy program, and that this person is my classmate.
I don't know who you are dustfreeeraser but I hope that we don't get to be in a same lab or tutorial group.
This is what he posted on the other board:

"Why would students currently in these programs go out of their way to help current undergrad students get in? What benefits do they get?

Eventually, won't the ones that they helped take the jobs you initially could have had?

Yes, I understand I sound like a bigot that's ignorant but as a recently turned twenty year old who was recently accepted to one of the professional programs mentioned above, I feel my future may be threatened if I help people near me (friends, undergrads, highschoolers) and they, in the end, become my competition, forcing me to live a life that may be jeopardized in terms of financial stability.

Please try to be as constructive as possible because I know I'm being extremely one sided and not very considerate of anyone else but me. But I just haven't seen the other side and would really like to be enlightened. I want to help and I kind of started helping a friend get into the program I'm in but I feel I have made a huge mistake in guiding him to this career."

ignore him.
Obviously he doesn't want ppl to get in to the pharmacy because he is very narrow minded.
I can't believe anyone who is this selfish got into the pharmacy program, and that this person is my classmate.
I don't know who you are dustfreeeraser but I hope that we don't get to be in a same lab or tutorial group.
This is what he posted on the other board:

"Why would students currently in these programs go out of their way to help current undergrad students get in? What benefits do they get?

Eventually, won't the ones that they helped take the jobs you initially could have had?

Yes, I understand I sound like a bigot that's ignorant but as a recently turned twenty year old who was recently accepted to one of the professional programs mentioned above, I feel my future may be threatened if I help people near me (friends, undergrads, highschoolers) and they, in the end, become my competition, forcing me to live a life that may be jeopardized in terms of financial stability.

Please try to be as constructive as possible because I know I'm being extremely one sided and not very considerate of anyone else but me. But I just haven't seen the other side and would really like to be enlightened. I want to help and I kind of started helping a friend get into the program I'm in but I feel I have made a huge mistake in guiding him to this career."

I TOTALLY AGREEEE. I saw that post a while ago... Yeah... Just because someone says that doesnt mean im going to quit.... Soo rude and selfish..

How many people are applying after 1st year sciences? I am one of them.. kind of nervous since 1st does not cover all the material necessary on the PCAT.

Ohh i felt the same way in first year so i decided to apply in my 2nd year instead... BUT im not saying you shouldn't try... But if you study hard with the pcat books you should be fine. A friend of mine only had 1st year done and she got 95 on pcat.

Got in off the waiting list I see
And funny how you assume I'm a male

Last edited:
Got in off the waiting list I see
And funny how you assume I'm a male

We honestly don't care if your male or female... This thread is for people who actually want to help current science undergrads....not for people who arent willing to help others, so if you think helping other people getting into pharmacy is ruining your future im sorry but this isnt the place for you.

So how is the application going for you guys? What exactly are technical skills

Tell me this then:
What do you think pharmacists do and how do you think their scope of practice will change as time changes? Have you looked at the Blueprint for Pharmacy? Are they reasonable changes that will change the profession in a way that will benefit not just the healthcare but also pharmacists in terms of remuneration as well?
How do you feel about the fact that those that get in 2 years after you guys will have a PharmD as opposed to your Bsc. Pharm?
Give yourselves a thought about those questions as we will be the ones affected by these changes the most.

http://www.afpc.info/downloads/1/UBC1_Grad_of_2020_CPERC_School_Poster_June22.pdf

For the record, knowing a bit about the profession in terms how it will look like in the future will help for your interview.

So how is the application going for you guys? What exactly are technical skills

Its going alright. I have my one solid personal statement done, and i have yet to write the second thanks to my pharmacists ideas : D and still the pcat in january=( still worried... Hbu?!

Tell me this then:
What do you think pharmacists do and how do you think their scope of practice will change as time changes? Have you looked at the Blueprint for Pharmacy? Are they reasonable changes that will change the profession in a way that will benefit not just the healthcare but also pharmacists in terms of remuneration as well?
How do you feel about the fact that those that get in 2 years after you guys will have a PharmD as opposed to your Bsc. Pharm?
Give yourselves a thought about those questions as we will be the ones affected by these changes the most.

http://www.afpc.info/downloads/1/UBC1_Grad_of_2020_CPERC_School_Poster_June22.pdf

For the record, knowing a bit about the profession in terms how it will look like in the future will help for your interview.

I don't think ppl will necessarily have to know the answers to those questions.
They will learn this in PHAR 201 kindly from Dr. Fielding and other instructors once they get in.
The interview format is MMI and I believe that it is used to evaluate people's personality, their ability in speaking; not how much they know about pharmacist.
The majority of my friends who got in didn't even had experience in volunteering at a pharmacy.

From what I asked the instructors in the pharmacy faculty, in the future, student who will be earning PharmD will be required a lot more pre-reqs.
For example, in U of T's PharmD program, their pre-reqs consists of two years worthy of courses (BIOC 2yr level, STAT 2yr level, Organic chem).
For those who will graduate with BSc Pharmacy will just have to do 2 more yrs to earn Pharm.D.
I know that Pharm D. is not required in the community settings nor any priority are given to the pharmacist holding Pharm D.
Pharm D is more oriented toward clinical settings. It also concentrates on research.

Last edited:
I don't think ppl will necessarily have to know the answers to those questions.
They will learn this in PHAR 201 kindly from Dr. Fielding and other instructors once they get in.
The interview format is MMI and I believe that it is used to evaluate people's personality, their ability in speaking; not how much they know about pharmacist.
The majority of my friends who got in didn't even had experience in volunteering at a pharmacy.

From what I asked the instructors in the pharmacy faculty, in the future, student who will be earning PharmD will be required a lot more pre-reqs.
For example, in U of T's PharmD program, their pre-reqs consists of two years worthy of courses (BIOC 2yr level, STAT 2yr level, Organic chem).
For those who will graduate with BSc Pharmacy will just have to do 2 more yrs to earn Pharm.D.
I know that Pharm D. is not required in the community settings nor any priority are given to the pharmacist holding Pharm D.
Pharm D is more oriented toward clinical settings. It also concentrates on research.

In case you haven't heard, Fielding is retiring.
I never mentioned anything about volunteering in a pharmacy.
I'm positive you'd rather know about the profession than not. And personally, knowing about the future was beneficial for the interview, at least personally.

So is there a chance of getting in with a 73%gpa and a 85 on the pcat for this year...

So is there a chance of getting in with a 73%gpa and a 85 on the pcat for this year...

Yes. I'm currently in the program. I know people who got in with a GPA around that. Your PCAT is good, all you have to do is practice for the interview. I recommend making practice MMI groups.

O crap, my gpa just took a dive, gpa only 68 should i even bother apply?

Just apply... You really have nothing to lose and see if you get in. Well that's what I'm doing.

Is there less people applying this forum feels dead....

That's what i'm thinking LOL. That's good if this year is dead : D

In case you haven't heard, Fielding is retiring.
I never mentioned anything about volunteering in a pharmacy.
I'm positive you'd rather know about the profession than not. And personally, knowing about the future was beneficial for the interview, at least personally.

My friend actually talked to Dr. Fielding at his workplace, turns out there might not be as much truth to his "retirement" as he lets on haha. From what I've heard, it's more of a "1 year vacation"

O crap, my gpa just took a dive, gpa only 68 should i even bother apply?

No harm in applying, just try to keep it above that point - they were definitely still accepting individuals with around 70% last year. And again, there is definitely a slowdown in applicants to the Faculty so chances remain solid to those that have a passion for the field.

So I should remain hopeful? Would I get an interview though?

So I should remain hopeful? Would I get an interview though?

I think the problem is being able to do well enough to get in as opposed to being invited to the interview. Definitely remain "cautiously" hopeful but also discourage them from saying 'no' to you by putting in a little extra effort into the PCAT and supplementals

I had a quick question.... If I had taken both physics 1 and 2... They wouldnt count physics one into the prerequisite gpa right? Im asking this because i remember seeing ubc only needed one semester of physics and i took a whole year of physics in first yr because i only had physics 11 in highschool.

UBC pharmacy only counts physics 101 in the prereq average. So if you took 100 or 102, it won't be calculated into your prereq avg (this is as far as my knowledge goes)!

THANKSS so much! I was so worried because i didnt do very well in the first term of physics.... And was worried how much itll affect my prerequisite average.=/.

So is it true that if I get 70-80 gpa, 80s pcat and decent ec im guaranteed an interview/acceptance?

So is it true that if I get 70-80 gpa, 80s pcat and decent ec im guaranteed an interview/acceptance?

From reading previous threads to other years, it seems like if you have at least 70% gpa and 70% pcat, people were given interviews and were accepted, so yes i would assume so unless you have some bad personal statements or something.

can someone plz verify?

Guaranteed is a strong word. Definitely very likely "guaranteed" an interview, wouldn't say the same for acceptance since that can vary by year based on how others fare on the interview portion.

Guaranteed is a strong word. Definitely very likely "guaranteed" an interview, wouldn't say the same for acceptance since that can vary by year based on how others fare on the interview portion.

For those who have already taken the pcat... Would i be doomed on the actual exam if i couldn't even finish kaplans or mcgraw hills chem portion under their time limit=(

For those who have already taken the pcat... Would i be doomed on the actual exam if i couldn't even finish kaplans or mcgraw hills chem portion under their time limit=(

don't worry, most of the people have trouble finishing the chemistry and math sections within the time limit. .

don't worry, most of the people have trouble finishing the chemistry and math sections within the time limit. .

Sigh... Yeah ive heard.... Kinda makes me feel uneasy if i needed to guess over 10 questions on chem and math:(

THANKSS so much! I was so worried because i didnt do very well in the first term of physics.... And was worried how much itll affect my prerequisite average.=/.

Don't worry! I didn't do well in physics either, just work on your other prereqs:)

Anyone else taking/have already taken bio201? How would you rate this course in comparison to chem233? (which I found quite difficult)

Such a dead thread... anybody here who is applying after first year of university sciences? I heard its pretty hard to get in with only one year behind your back.. any thoughts? I am applying after first year.. pretty nervous

Such a dead thread... anybody here who is applying after first year of university sciences? I heard its pretty hard to get in with only one year behind your back.. any thoughts? I am applying after first year.. pretty nervous

Yeah I'm nervous too not sure my avg is high enough...fmlfmlfml: Got punished in term1 mad: