UAMS vs. FIU HWCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chchch123

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get into both of these schools! I was wondering if I could get some help on deciding which of these schools is better!

University of Arkansas Medical Science College of Medicine
Pros
  • Lots of research, shadowing, etc opportunities as UAMS has a monopoly over all of Arkansas medical facilities basically
  • Tuition would be affordable
Cons
  • Little Rock versus Miami
  • Larger Class size

FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Pros
  • Honors in Clerkships
  • NeighborhoodHELP clinic- unique clinical opportunity
  • New Partnership with Baptist Health

Cons
  • Internal Ranking
  • Expensive

Both do fairly well in the Match. Overall, my goal is to get it to a competitive and reputable residency program later on and I want the school that’s going to help me the best. Both did have great schools and competitive residencies on their Match List. But wanted to know which school would help me succeed in this goal the most. If anyone has any specific advice about either school would be much appreciated, Please let me know which choice is better.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there, FIU is P/F in pre-clinicals, internally ranked, but still P/F with a 72 needed to pass blocks. I am not familiar with UAMS so I can't comment on which I recommend, but FIU is P/F pre-clerkships which is much better than graded if thats what you initially thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there, FIU is P/F in pre-clinicals, internally ranked, but still P/F with a 72 needed to pass blocks. I am not familiar with UAMS so I can't comment on which I recommend, but FIU is P/F pre-clerkships which is much better than graded if thats what you initially thought.
My mistake thank you for catching that. I will modify my post. Do you have any other insights regarding FIU HWCOM?

My mistake thank you for catching that. I will modify my post. Do you have any other insights regarding FIU HWCOM?
Biggest pluses: Miami weather/lifestyle, good if you're really into community work/SDOHs etc., good faculty support with new curriculum that is an improvement on the previous, Baptist partnership will not fully kick up for a couple of years but you might get some of the benefits soon, good match into solid programs for noncompetitive specialties

Biggest downsides: rotations all over miami with not too much of an academic setting, low research, will need to work you behind off to match into competitive specialties.

Like I said , I have no insight into UAMS, so I cant give a good comparison. But my best friend goes to HWCOM lol so I know a bit