UAMS NW vs OU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bvmedapp

Reaction score
Hey, got accepted at two schools in places where I’ve got family. Both are similarly ranked schools and are similar situations for me. UAMS NW is in a better place for me to pursue outdoor activities.

UAMS NW

Pros:
- family
- rotate in hospitals without surgical residents, I get more hands on during those rotations (I’m interested in surgical residency)
- small class size (20 per class in NW campus)
- close to outdoor activities, which I want to stay engaged in during med school
- in state tuition (basically the same)
- easy parking on campus

Cons
- does going to this small satellite campus look worse on a residency app?? - this is my main concern!
- no true cadaver lab - they use plasticated cadavers
- clearly not much of a student community, high percentage nontraditional students

OU

Pros
- also family
- also in state tuition
- full level 1 trauma center attached
- maybe slightly cheaper cost of living
- good connections with student run clinics
- affiliated residency programs for every specialty

Cons
- horrible parking and generally annoying campus
- huge class and apparently very competitive with each other (a bit toxic?)
- no outdoor activities nearby

Thanks for any help. I’m leaning towards UAMS NW because I like the area a lot more, but I’m not sure how it looks on a residency app. I’m most interested in general surgery as a specialty but perhaps want more options in sub specialization. I’m not sure these schools will care.

I have been assured that there are plenty of research opportunities and you can shadow/rotate basically any specialty there - it’s just not academic.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Having academic faculty write your letters at OU along with having home residency programs are probably the most important differences from UAMS.

Having academic faculty write your letters at OU along with having home residency programs are probably the most important differences from UAMS.

I understand this is a difference, I just don’t necessarily understand the significance of it.

I’d prefer to leave either state for residency anyways - I’d like to go west, where I’m actually from. But do academic letters hold significantly more weight? Can I get those letters from away rotations?

I understand this is a difference, I just don’t necessarily understand the significance of it.

I’d prefer to leave either state for residency anyways - I’d like to go west, where I’m actually from. But do academic letters hold significantly more weight? Can I get those letters from away rotations?
Yeah, you will need them especially if you would like to match a surgical sub specialty on the West Coast. Counting on an away to work out isn't the most ideal.