U of T Pharmacy 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. Low 70's?

The interview must be a huge component then.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I also got a call from U of T admissions today offering me a spot!!! I saw they called while I was driving and I had to pull over I was so excited. I was originally on the upper half of the waiting list.

GPA - 79
PCAT - 80

For all of you on the waiting list, there's hope!

See you all in September :)

Hey, I also got moved off the wait list and offered acceptance! For those of you that also got moved off the wait list, have they sent you the email to confirm the offer yet? I know they sent us the acceptance form on pharmsis, but the due date says July 9.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's legit you guys. I WORKED as a tech for a pharmacist who got in with a 68% average. That was before the PCAT days though.

Ahem, U of T...please call. haha

68%... wow... I don't feel so special for getting in then... I worked my ass off eh...

68%... wow... I don't feel so special for getting in then... I worked my ass off eh...

I think you are missing a key point: the person was a pharmacy technician. I think the lower end of the GPA scale isn't an automatic decline as long as you have some form of way of making up for your shortcomings. You never know what the person with a 68 went through in their personal life etc.

I think that a student who hasn't even completed Undergrad yet and is ~18-22 years of age would need a 78+. Granted this is just speculation, but it seems to make sense.

On a more depressing note: I was looking over the curriculum and I think I pissed myself after seeing the course load for 2nd, 3rd and 4th years. First year isn't as bad because I have a at least 3 exemptions, but for 2nd and 3rd years I only really have 1 each :thumbdown:.

the exact reason why i dont want to go to UofT right now

I attended UofT as an undergrad for 4 yrs, and its not hard material per se, but the amount of attention and the quality of teaching is by far superior at UBC (Since I have taken courses at UBC for a year now). I feel like at UofT, I am just "one of them".

It really depends. If you want to go on with your studies, I'd say choose UofT. They have a wide range of specific programs that will enable you to specialize in a certain area.

Yeah I ahve some friends who are int he UofT pharm program right now, one of them happened to go to UBC for 2 years before going to Pharm at UofT...says the teaching is far superior at UBC... iunno and where did you hear about this PharmD thing? I dont think it would apply to us...?

I think you are missing a key point: the person was a pharmacy technician. I think the lower end of the GPA scale isn't an automatic decline as long as you have some form of way of making up for your shortcomings. You never know what the person with a 68 went through in their personal life etc.

I think that a student who hasn't even completed Undergrad yet and is ~18-22 years of age would need a 78+. Granted this is just speculation, but it seems to make sense.

On a more depressing note: I was looking over the curriculum and I think I pissed myself after seeing the course load for 2nd, 3rd and 4th years. First year isn't as bad because I have a at least 3 exemptions, but for 2nd and 3rd years I only really have 1 each :thumbdown:.

at least you are getting 5 in total, there are first years who get no exemption...

I'd rather have a better education than a bunch of exemptions...

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno, you were saying that there weren't a lot of exemptions in later years.

I dunno, you were saying that there weren't a lot of exemptions in later years.

Nah... maybe I wasn't clear. I was saying that I'm scared and excited (which I didn't write :() for 2nd year onwards because that will be the first time I'll have a full course load. If I didn't want to do pharmacy I would've just done 2 more semesters at U Waterloo and graduated.

:EDIT: I can't seem to write out what I want, so regardless I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Wow. Low 70's?

The interview must be a huge component then.

I'd rather have a better education than a bunch of exemptions...

Can you try not to sound like an elitist douche? Who's to say that the guy with a 68 didn't work his ass off either? And why is getting exemptions an example of not getting an education? Why sit through a class learning that you already know when you could using your time more wisely? Who's to say that the person with the exemptions isn't using their spare time for a job to finance their education or to get more pharmacy experience? Don't talk if you don't know, and don't think you're better than anyone else.

Can you try not to sound like an elitist douche? Who's to say that the guy with a 68 didn't work his ass off either? And why is getting exemptions an example of not getting an education? Why sit through a class learning that you already know when you could using your time more wisely? Who's to say that the person with the exemptions isn't using their spare time for a job to finance their education or to get more pharmacy experience? Don't talk if you don't know, and don't think you're better than anyone else.

I'd rather pay $13,000 and spend my time learning about pharmacy rather than pay $13,000 and have less classes. Obviously I don't want to sit through class learning what I already know, I'd like to sit through class and learn something new and useful. But I have three exemptions and the rest of the first year classes are, according to last year's class, way too easy. I thought I was paying for the best education. I wish there was educational stuff I could do in the mean time. Is that hard to understand?

You know what though? There are people with high 70s and low 80s who didn't get in. So if someone got in with a 72 it must mean that the interview is weighted a lot. (How is that an douchy comment? huh)

Last edited:
Just a thought: those folks with lower gpa's might have some REAL personal and family issues going on. Why should a simple grade determine your future? Once you start professional school, you will learn to let go of grades. It really does not matter once you get in and it makes sense why they are not a "huge" component of ur application. There are many aspects to being a successful pharmacist and the ability to regurgitate on a test is definitely not a significant part.

byork, maybe you learned for sake of learning =)? hard work and extra learning can't hurt you :D.
if you are still troubled by the thought of students getting offer with low 70s, think about the students who got in with grades higher than you. i doubt most of those students don't feel animosity towards students who didn't achieve high as grade as them.
as for the interview, i don't think its "silly". i think communication and interpersonal skills are just as indispensable as earning good grades in becoming a good pharmacists.

we are going to be future classmates, lets not try to get under each other's skin :highfive:

Good idea. Sorry. I've got a million things on my plate right now and I'm not in a positive mood.

interview must count for a lot. I'm sitting on 84% gpa and 89 pcat, and i'm still waiting on the call....
Wow, that's interesting. Both numbers real solid, I hope you get in. My gpa and pcat weren't much higher than yours, I thought I did badly on the interview, but still got in (and no I have no family connections, ha). Then again, I completed my undergrad degree.

It might depend on the precise makeup of the gpa as well. I'm sure they weigh science courses more, and I know they really take a good look at your chemistry marks.

I'd rather pay $13,000 and spend my time learning about pharmacy rather than pay $13,000 and have less classes. Obviously I don't want to sit through class learning what I already know, I'd like to sit through class and learn something new and useful.

LOL, wait till you get to thid year where you will realize there are actually just one or two classes that have anything to do with pharmacy practice. Most of school is, as they say, BS :thumbup:.

as for the interview, i don't think its "silly". i think communication and interpersonal skills are just as indispensable as earning good grades in becoming a good pharmacists.

we are going to be future classmates, lets not try to get under each other's skin :highfive:

professionalism at its finest. Good for you!

You'll find as you move along in professional school that good grades count for very little. What people will remember long after your interaction isn't did that pharmacist know the names of all 80 000 drugs and the side effects and components of each, but was s/he pleasant? Did I feel like s/he cared about me? That is what will keep the people you take care of coming back to you, not whatever 4.3 you got in school. The interview IS and SHOULD BE a huge component

I'm also going to point out, just in general, that before you belittle someone, think about how you'd feel in a role reversal. Don't discount their achievements please - it's not professional - as a pharmacist, doctor, or dentist. One day you might end up on the other end.

Do you guys think since they accepted ppl from the wait list early, that they will be accepting more people soon?
Im so nervous now :(

^ I certainly hope so! But, for me, I'm still having a hard time trying to believe they accepted at least 3 people on Friday- either that many people already rejected before Friday... But i mean if they did actually get to the WL- that's awesome. Good luck guys!!! :xf:

I know, mabye this year they got the wait list faster cuz of the pharm cuts, people straying away perhaps? Or mabye just more of the usual wait list acceptances: choosing other pharmacy schools/professions

Good luck :)

I know, mabye this year they got the wait list faster cuz of the pharm cuts, people straying away perhaps?

Good luck :)

that's what i was thinking. bad logic imo, but good for us since were on the wl :xf:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why can't UofT send us our stuff already?!?!?!? :confused:

I've been checking my mail like everyday expecting something from U of T...are they gonna send us a package of some sort by the end of the month?

Individuals who got of the waitlist will you please post your stats if you dont mind? Thanks

hey guys,
so i decided to apply again next year to toronto, and i know its not my marks that didnt get me in but probably the interview. so i was wondering to those who got in (if u still check this forum) how did you answer your mmi questions? like i mean did u look at the question posed from different points of views, assess both advantages/disadvantages?? because when i did mine i simply answered it and waited for the follow up questions so im not sure in what way they wanted us to answer it. If anyone can reply to me so i can be better prepared for next time, i'd really appreciate it because I really want to get in.
thanks

will be sending my decline tomorrow morning.

Congrats to the next person in line =)

hey guys,
so i decided to apply again next year to toronto, and i know its not my marks that didnt get me in but probably the interview. so i was wondering to those who got in (if u still check this forum) how did you answer your mmi questions? like i mean did u look at the question posed from different points of views, assess both advantages/disadvantages?? because when i did mine i simply answered it and waited for the follow up questions so im not sure in what way they wanted us to answer it. If anyone can reply to me so i can be better prepared for next time, i'd really appreciate it because I really want to get in.
thanks

I answered it the same way you did, just directly to the point and waited for follow up questions. However, don't be scared to go "outside the box". I remember there were some questions where I asked the interviewer to clarify some things which weren't explicitly outlined in the question and further posed other hypothetical situations which might have served as extensions to the original question. Do NOT be afraid to talk to the interviewer about what may seem like irrelevant things.

Lol @ my 5 line sentence.

I answered it the same way you did, just directly to the point and waited for follow up questions. However, don't be scared to go "outside the box". I remember there were some questions where I asked the interviewer to clarify some things which weren't explicitly outlined in the question and further posed other hypothetical situations which might have served as extensions to the original question. Do NOT be afraid to talk to the interviewer about what may seem like irrelevant things.

Lol @ my 5 line sentence.

Thank you for your advice :D

I got off the waitlist today! im still shocked!
Best of luck to the rest of ppl on the wait list!! I really hope u guys get in

Last edited:
hey guys,
thanks
Basically, yeah, I talked about advantages and disadvantages (for those questions where that kind of thing was applicable). Still, in most cases I was only able to talk for a couple minutes, and then the interviewer had to get into the follow ups. The whole thing was kind of a blur (I was nervous), and was almost two months ago, so it's a bit hard to recall.

The only thing I will say is this: when it comes to the ethical type questions, don't say only what you think the interviewer wants to hear, like some kind of golden upstanding answer that no one in real life would actually do. I think it would come across as fake. Say what you really think, and defend it with what you really feel.

I got off the waitlist today! im still shocked!
Best of luck to the rest of ppl on the wait list!! I really hope u guys get in

Hey congratz! Hopefully I get a call too ... :oops:

Btw, what were ur stats if u don't mind sharing and how many years of univ did you complete?

Thanks

hey guys,
thanks

I applaud your tenacity and wish you best of luck next year :xf:!
I feel like I thrived on the ones giving my personal opinions. For those ones, I briefly readdressed the problem first while assessing the advantages and disadvantages. ie. "This is the problem, this is why its a problem, and the solution needs to take account this and this" to show that I fully understand the problem at hand, and options available. I then picked a side and ARGUED it, not just answered it, while providing support.
I found lot of the prompts had a very broad themes about it allowing it to be discussed in various ways. My greatest interests are not sciences, but history, and social sciences. I related my answers as much as possible to what I feel most comfortable with and knowledgeable about when the prompt had a social aspect involved to it.
I noticed with one question, there was simply no definite winning answer with each choice having detrimental drawbacks. I highlighted the importance of both sides, and played along the line. I answered the question with If/ Then statements with IFs being a factor in which would make one choice a lot more viable than the other. The lady gave a big smile at the end so my guess is that it went very well.
Final tip: forget about the one interview you simply blew. There are 10 interviews. Unless you are a guru at interviews, its highly unlikely that you will do splendidly in all 10. Blowing 1 will not ruin your interview scores, but sitting on it will definitely have a negative impact on your future interviews.

I applaud your tenacity and wish you best of luck next year :xf:!
I feel like I thrived on the ones giving my personal opinions. For those ones, I briefly readdressed the problem first while assessing the advantages and disadvantages. ie. "This is the problem, this is why its a problem, and the solution needs to take account this and this" to show that I fully understand the problem at hand, and options available. I then picked a side and ARGUED it, not just answered it, while providing support.
I found lot of the prompts had a very broad themes about it allowing it to be discussed in various ways. My greatest interests are not sciences, but history, and social sciences. I related my answers as much as possible to what I feel most comfortable with and knowledgeable about when the prompt had a social aspect involved to it.
I noticed with one question, there was simply no definite winning answer with each choice having detrimental drawbacks. I highlighted the importance of both sides, and played along the line. I answered the question with If/ Then statements with IFs being a factor in which would make one choice a lot more viable than the other. The lady gave a big smile at the end so my guess is that it went very well.
Final tip: forget about the one interview you simply blew. There are 10 interviews. Unless you are a guru at interviews, its highly unlikely that you will do splendidly in all 10. Blowing 1 will not ruin your interview scores, but sitting on it will definitely have a negative impact on your future interviews.

how did you prepare for the interview?

Ughughughughugh I want my phone call :(

But I will be re-taking the PCAT which I think got me on the wait list. It was quite low in comparison to what you guys have been posting.

See you next year, Pharmacist1 and all those re-applying. And to those who got in next year...cant wait for the pharmacy student freshman hazing in 2011!

Thanks Kalium and CheeseCake :D
I definitely know what I did wrong now; I think my responses were too simple and just to the point. I'm very hopeful that I will get in next year now:) :xf:
Have fun in your first yr pharm you guys and hopefully the rest of us who didnt get in this year will join u soon :)

Ughughughughugh I want my phone call :(

But I will be re-taking the PCAT which I think got me on the wait list. It was quite low in comparison to what you guys have been posting.

See you next year, Pharmacist1 and all those re-applying. And to those who got in next year...cant wait for the pharmacy student freshman hazing in 2011!

you must not give up hope. I heard that some people got their phone calls at end of august so there's still hope till the first day of classes :) besides as for the pcat I don't think they needed very high marks since they weighed the interview very highly so im sure it wasn't the pcat. hehe yes i'm soo excited to get in too and for phrosh week ;)
Also, to those applying next year, I was thinking maybe we can start like an online chat once the interview invites go out and we can make up questions and practice them just to bounce ideas off each other that is if anyone would be interested? :)

Last edited:
Do you guys think there is the slimmest chance that they might actually dip into the lower WL half this year?? FML!!!!

Keeping my fingers crossed to the last day!

I don't think there is a way of telling. UofT's who thing is to not let being on the waitlist get in the way of making yearlong plans. It makes my heart ache.