U of Hawaii-Hilo Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gosh, I hope UHH Cop and my fellow classmates wont judge me too harshly but here it is...

We have class every afternoons, lab in the morning one day a week, and IPPE another morning. Some people work as pharm techs, others joined the labs, but I 'm a loser (can't get a pharm tech job since I have no lic/exp) and ended up tutoring other undergrads @ the University every Mon, Wed, and Fri afternoons. I also tutor Vietnamese to a local pharmacist friend once in a while for food. Yes, I do study at the last minute often. Bad me! I need to cut something out of my schedule but I can't figure out what yet.

What I think about the school. It's a public university and got all the basic necessities: vending machines, cafeteria, and sometimes free cake/cookies in the career center (now that I've disclosed that, I hope my fellow classmates won't beat me to it). I like most of the faculties...they know their stuff. I'm scared of Dr. Okamoto's one on one q's, came late to IPPE once and Dr. Ma had to wait on me so now I am scared of her too, Dr. Chang is cute and funny in her own distinct way, Dr. Tan's lecture material is horrendous and is praying to keep my A in the class, Dr. Wright's exam q's are tricky and have to watch out for them, Dr. Fisher's funny but sometimes a cheezy one slips in there, Dr. C is really nice but it's hard to predict her test q's, and Dr. Borris is also really nice but I really have to work on those calculation problems. I guess it's to our advantages that we're getting used to how each of them tests.

Hilo. There's a lot of things to say about Hilo esp since I came from S. California. The air is a lot more clean, but it rains a lot here. At first, I found the rain really annoying but I realize that I study a lot better when it rains...the breeze and everything. I'm staying right on the shore with the coast as my backyard and can watch the surfers/canoers when I'm bored. Our dean did say that the rain is good since that will keep us indoors studying and he won't lose one of his students to the waters. There's really not much partying to do here if that's what you're looking for.

I do miss the comfort of home and all those people dear to me. Free rent, utilities and good food has never been more appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh, I hope UHH Cop and my fellow classmates wont judge me too harshly but here it is...

We have class every afternoons, lab in the morning one day a week, and IPPE another morning. Some people work as pharm techs, others joined the labs, but I 'm a loser (can't get a pharm tech job since I have no lic/exp) and ended up tutoring other undergrads @ the University every Mon, Wed, and Fri afternoons. I also tutor Vietnamese to a local pharmacist friend once in a while for food. Yes, I do study at the last minute often. Bad me! I need to cut something out of my schedule but I can't figure out what yet.

What I think about the school. It's a public university and got all the basic necessities: vending machines, cafeteria, and sometimes free cake/cookies in the career center (now that I've disclosed that, I hope my fellow classmates won't beat me to it). I like most of the faculties...they know their stuff. I'm scared of Dr. Okamoto's one on one q's, came late to IPPE once and Dr. Ma had to wait on me so now I am scared of her too, Dr. Chang is cute and funny in her own distinct way, Dr. Tan's lecture material is horrendous and is praying to keep my A in the class, Dr. Wright's exam q's are tricky and have to watch out for them, Dr. Fisher's funny but sometimes a cheezy one slips in there, Dr. C is really nice but it's hard to predict her test q's, and Dr. Borris is also really nice but I really have to work on those calculation problems. I guess it's to our advantages that we're getting used to how each of them tests.

Hilo. There's a lot of things to say about Hilo esp since I came from S. California. The air is a lot more clean, but it rains a lot here. At first, I found the rain really annoying but I realize that I study a lot better when it rains...the breeze and everything. I'm staying right on the shore with the coast as my backyard and can watch the surfers/canoers when I'm bored. Our dean did say that the rain is good since that will keep us indoors studying and he won't lose one of his students to the waters. There's really not much partying to do here if that's what you're looking for.

I do miss the comfort of home and all those people dear to me. Free rent, utilities and good food has never been more appreciated.

Wow, sounds like eveything is moving on pretty good down there. And u have the coast as ur background. As for partying, I'll say it's great there's none at all for that means less distraction. Thanks for the info

Wow, sounds like eveything is moving on pretty good down there. And u have the coast as ur background. As for partying, I'll say it's great there's none at all for that means less distraction. Thanks for the info

If you say that there's no partying going on, it's because you're not looking for it. I'm no partier myself, but UHH is just like any other college...they've got a few hardcore partiers...

Members don't see this ad :)
beav...how's the night life there? any bars/clubs etc? how about just a general place where the young crowd usually hangs or something?

Do they really only interview ~150 people and accept ~100? Does it say how many applied? and are there updated news about the chances of UHH becoming accredited?

The stats saying that UHH interviewed 150 are the stats for the first ever class. I am in that inaugural class. When the school first started interviewing for Fall 2007, there wasn't that much interest that's why. Interviews for Fall 2008 so far seem to be higher because there are over 1000 applications and lots of interest generated. Good luck if you're applying.

The stats saying that UHH interviewed 150 are the stats for the first ever class. I am in that inaugural class. When the school first started interviewing for Fall 2007, there wasn't that much interest that's why. Interviews for Fall 2008 so far seem to be higher because there are over 1000 applications and lots of interest generated. Good luck if you're applying.

I'll got a question for you intellimouse. Do you know if there are still interviewing people in the month of April? I know the deadline was April 1st.... I was interviewed in LAS VEGAS at end of Feb and I got wait listed at end of March. Any info about waiting list or any seats open you give out will be greatly appreciated.

Hey UHers

I was wondering if any of you have any insights on apartments near school. I will be attending in the fall and I was hoping to hear about any experiences such as: "moving to Hilo", "finding a place", "staying at a place", etc.

THANKS!

I'll got a question for you intellimouse. Do you know if there are still interviewing people in the month of April? I know the deadline was April 1st.... I was interviewed in LAS VEGAS at end of Feb and I got wait listed at end of March. Any info about waiting list or any seats open you give out will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I do not know for sure if there are any seats open. I'm sure there will be seats open as people give accept other schools. I can tell you that last year I interviewed in March and got on the waitlist in April. I finally got accepted in May and waiting for 2 months was agonizing. Don't give up hope. Please check the responses in the Pre-Pharmacy forum under "University of Hawai'i College of Pharmacy" because other students applying with you may have better information. I think I saw a post stating 2 interview dates for April.

As for housing suggestions, please check out my response in the Pre-Pharmacy forum under "University of Hawai'i College of Pharmacy." Looking for housing on Craigslist and the Hawaii Tribune Herald Newspaper online is good too. Please ask the people listing the housing where exactly is the housing so you can get to school. Try to get a car if you want to live far away from campus such as downtown.

Most definitely, 4 wheels are a must. Public transit is unreliable, a bike isn't advisable due to the huge amt of annual rainfall.

UHH....is that you over at the Tribune board? Or do we have dozens of UHH user names cruising the web.
Not too sure why anyone would pick the name of an institution as though they represent the whole damn place. :eek:

Spoke with someone in admissions and she said they were expecting approximately 1600 applicants for the 2009 school year. Several schools I am interested in are around 1700 to 2000. A friend that is in his first year said there were about 600 to 800 that applied for 2007. He actually applied a bit after the application deadline and had 3.45 overall and a 3.3 science. They have rolling admissions, BUT, they will obviously pass up people that dont deserve to be there, and holding out spots in hopes of getting people that do. Plus there is the waitlist, so you never know.

Oh, he did say that they reserve half the seats for residents, which is really stupid, cause he says that most of them shouldn't be there. The resident students he has dealt with haven't been that bright(as compared to out-of-staters that should have been accepted). UH Hilo looks like a great school.

Spoke with someone in admissions and she said they were expecting approximately 1600 applicants for the 2009 school year. Several schools I am interested in are around 1700 to 2000. A friend that is in his first year said there were about 600 to 800 that applied for 2007. He actually applied a bit after the application deadline and had 3.45 overall and a 3.3 science. They have rolling admissions, BUT, they will obviously pass up people that dont deserve to be there, and holding out spots in hopes of getting people that do. Plus there is the waitlist, so you never know.

Oh, he did say that they reserve half the seats for residents, which is really stupid, cause he says that most of them shouldn't be there. The resident students he has dealt with haven't been that bright(as compared to out-of-staters that should have been accepted). UH Hilo looks like a great school.

wtf? hawaii was one of the few schools that didnt have a pharmacy school and now we have one. From what i understand its really hard to get into an out of state pharmacy school. and dont most other schools save spots for residents? i think its stupid that non residents would want to go to uhh, 30k a year is expensive, and im sure an in state COP would be cheaper. give us residents a chance

For all of you who didn't have cars, how did u manage to go to HMC?

Hi guys! I will be attending here next semester... YAy!!!!
Will you need a laptop for hilo? Should I buy on or wait?

Thx

I was fortunate that my rotation partners had cars so I asked for a ride to HMC.

As for a laptop, it's highly recommended since most lecture notes need to be downloaded. Printing at the library can be inconvenient. Some students preferred to follow along with the lectures so they bring their laptops to class and typed in notes. A printer would be good too if you want to print out the notes for studying (unless you prefer studying off the monitor like my friend does with his expensive tablet pc). There are lots of notes to print and I was able to print several slides onto one sheet of paper.

I was fortunate that my rotation partners had cars so I asked for a ride to HMC.

As for a laptop, it's highly recommended since most lecture notes need to be downloaded. Printing at the library can be inconvenient. Some students preferred to follow along with the lectures so they bring their laptops to class and typed in notes. A printer would be good too if you want to print out the notes for studying (unless you prefer studying off the monitor like my friend does with his expensive tablet pc). There are lots of notes to print and I was able to print several slides onto one sheet of paper.
How far from campus exactly is HMC?

How far from campus exactly is HMC?

according to google maps its about 4 miles, about a 10 minute drive

definately no walkable unless ur super motivated. could probably make it there on bike but its up a couple hills