U of Hawaii-Hilo Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ang136

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else received an interview from the University of Hawaii at Hilo?
I was told there would be 3 sites; San Fran, Honolulu, and Hilo. Since no one has written about it I wondered if I would be the only one.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone even apply there?

my interview was 3/3 in SF. what did you think of the school when you visited it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was okay. The campus is in the middle of residential area, and there seems to be construction going on in one part of the campus. The women who interviewed me were really nice. I wouldn't mind going there if there.

I had an interview scheduled for 3/3 in SF, as well. But, I ended up declining it.

The people in the admissions office were really nice whenever I called. They were probably one of the most courteous schools that I corresponded with.

If you are a new school, you better be extra nice and courteous to students, otherwise you are not going to attract a strong student body. Also when most people hear the words "Hawaii" and "pharmacy" they think scandal and students getting ripped off, even though this is a completely different school they have to overcome that by trying to really shine with the students at first. Once a school has been around for awhile they can treat you like a number, like most schools do, just have to give them a few years to realize they will get your money either way. Cynical but I think its true.

Yeah, that may be true for the most part. But you may not be too familiar with islandstyle living. I grew up on an island an also lived in the states; there is a big difference in hospitality and manners in the states and on the island.

There is also new law that were passed because of the Hawaii incident that UH is taking very seriously.

So I wouldn't necessarily say their courteousness is absolutely due to them being new.

Yeah, that may be true for the most part. But you may not be too familiar with islandstyle living. I grew up on an island an also lived in the states; there is a big difference in hospitality and manners in the states and on the island.

There is also new law that were passed because of the Hawaii incident that UH is taking very seriously.

So I wouldn't necessarily say their courteousness is absolutely due to them being new.

I did not consider the fact it could be islandstyle. Now thinking about that I agree that could be a contributing factor. One thing i do know is that it would be a great environment to get your PharmD. at.

i agree, the interviewers were really nice. does anyone know if they sent out acceptance/rejection letters yet? isn't the last interview date 3/16?

Its a nice campus but its also around tourists area. I was there when i was on the island for the "other" pharmacy school interview. Can that ever be mentioned again?

So did they say they were having a class this Fall 2007? It seems like not many applied to even have a starting class this fall. :confused:

i was under the impression that they feel strongly about having the first class in 2007. they seem quite ambitious in trying to become one of the leading pharmacy schools. besides, Dr. Pezzuto wouldn't give up Purdue if he wasn't planning something. it wouldn't surprise me that if they will be just as picky as U of Purdue, unless their applicant pool is small to begin with.

If you are a new school, you better be extra nice and courteous to students, otherwise you are not going to attract a strong student body. Also when most people hear the words "Hawaii" and "pharmacy" they think scandal and students getting ripped off, even though this is a completely different school they have to overcome that by trying to really shine with the students at first. Once a school has been around for awhile they can treat you like a number, like most schools do, just have to give them a few years to realize they will get your money either way. Cynical but I think its true.
I don't think it's true and there is nothing wrong with being nice. UH Hilo is a state funded school under the University of Hawaii system, so definately it is not a scandal and people shouldn't worry about that. Plus, they got the dean from Purdue to go there. Also, their ultimate goal of starting pharmacy school is not to make money, but to start the "first" pharmacy school in Hawaii to educate future pharmacists to serve the people in Hawaii and the Pacific .
I want to reply to this message partly because I am from Hawaii and I don't want people to think that we have the Aloha spirit for some ulterior motive. We just want to show how much we like Hawaii :) Good luck to ppl who got interviewed!

Members don't see this ad :)
chubbiepuppie, would you mind giving me some advice on how to find housing and the expected cost of living in hilo?

Hello everybody, I got an interview on 3/1 in San Francisco. After waiting for over a month, I am officially on the Alternate list. Hopefully I'll ultimately get accepted.

UHH is still accepting applications since they have rolling admissions policy. I think they are seeking a larger applicant pool but is it me or are people still scared about the HCIP thing? Anyone with some insight on what they think about UHH.

Good luck intellimouse and post us on how it goes.

Everybody I met during my time there, both pharmacy and non-pharmacy, were very professional. There will not be another catastrophe there like the last school that tried to open.

Islandstyle is much different than anything seen on the mainland. How much of that can be attributed to the new school? It's hard to tell where they hired their staff...so it's impossible to know at this point.

Its a nice campus but its also around tourists area. I was there when i was on the island for the "other" pharmacy school interview. Can that ever be mentioned again?

Trust me...out of Hawai'i's major cities (counting Lihue, Honolulu, Hilo, Kona, the Lahaina "strip") there is by far the LEAST amount of tourists in Hilo.

chubbiepuppie, would you mind giving me some advice on how to find housing and the expected cost of living in hilo?

Lived in Waiakea Lagoon View off of Kilauea Ave in Hilo. (about 1.5 mi from UHH...it's OK...people are really nice (2000-2500/sem))

Cost of living is a bit increased...depending on how often you leave the islands, whether you have a car, etc.

Thanks everybody for the information about University of Hawaii. It is giving me more hope that I'll get accepted. It's pretty exciting to get into this new program and new environment. Beav, does Waiakea Lagoon have Internet access and stove and fridge? I was looking into off-campus housing. Thanks again.

Thanks everybody for the information about University of Hawaii. It is giving me more hope that I'll get accepted. It's pretty exciting to get into this new program and new environment. Beav, does Waiakea Lagoon have Internet access and stove and fridge? I was looking into off-campus housing. Thanks again.

Yes on Net Access. Yes on Fridge. Yes on stove..It's REALLY small though.

BTW, Thursday through Saturday nights there is a very good chance you will hear music coming from Mikey's. It's a dance club not far from there. But yeah, everybody I know there had no complaints. Just don't, for the love of God, move in to the Palms across from campus (on Kinoole St. I believe.)

Hello everybody,

I got accepted! Thanks Beav for the information about off-campus housing. I prefer on-campus housing, but every piece of information helps. Such a relief since I applied to 16 schools and only received the interview and acceptance from this school. Good luck to all who are still waiting.

Could you please share your stats....

Sorry, I'm not comfortable revealing my "stats." However, I can tell you that I hold a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry and a Minor in Biology.

Unfort. i'm pretty sure this school is not accredited yet.....They have submitted to be accredited but have not been granted accred. yet!

University of Hawaii-Hilo is a new school, so yes, it has applied for accreditation in October 2006. It is not accredited yet. Accreditation is granted after the first class graduates (in 2011). The school will hopefully be granted "Pre-Candidate" status in June 2007 after the accreditation counsel approves of the pharmacy program. Then the first class will be able to begin taking classes. After the first year, with the approval of the accreditation counsel, the school can be granted "Candidate" status. After four years, the school can finally be accredited.

It starts with the application for accreditation and the granting of Pre-Candidate status. All new pharmacy schools have to undergo this process.

Did anyone even apply there?

i heard from an int) the Univ. of Hilo is still accepting applications and interviewing in June, is it maybe students are turning them down :thumbdown:

The yearly tuition for the University of Hawaii-Hilo College of Pharmacy is roughly $30,000 for non-residents and $15,000 for Hawaii residents.

Everybody I met during my time there, both pharmacy and non-pharmacy, were very professional. There will not be another catastrophe there like the last school that tried to open.

So, there won't be a catastrophe? But but but ....there will be left over students who are not yet accepted (for ' " reasons) from the last school, is this really bad news :(

Yes on Net Access. Yes on Fridge. Yes on stove..It's REALLY small though.

BTW, Thursday through Saturday nights there is a very good chance you will hear music coming from Mikey's. It's a dance club not far from there. But yeah, everybody I know there had no complaints. Just don't, for the love of God, move in to the Palms across from campus (on Kinoole St. I believe.)

..what's up with the housing situation, fridge, and stove stuff issues ... is this a RED FLAGS....sounds like a third world island...the more people--the more merrier??? mo mo money!!

wow....MoLoSadness...aren't we being a bit harsh? seems as though Beavs@Hilo was just being helpful--offering details on his/her experience in Hilo....calling our home a "third world island" is IMO uncalled for...geeez...

wow....MoLoSadness...aren't we being a bit harsh? seems as though Beavs@Hilo was just being helpful--offering details on his/her experience in Hilo....calling our home a "third world island" is IMO uncalled for...geeez...

just being real...really, the earth is really a warm warm place...i can't say much but i can sense a shock even before i touch the water :luck:

..what's up with the housing situation, fridge, and stove stuff issues ... is this a RED FLAGS....sounds like a third world island...the more people--the more merrier??? mo mo money!!

probably true but what's wrong with breeding pharmacists where they are needed the most?

I'm trying to be helpful. One person's experiences do not make a trend.

Hawai'i is a great place. It is far from a third-world anything...I'm sure their school will do fine. Please don't use the things I say to write something which I clearly didn't mean.

I just applied there also. :) We'll see what happens!

I'm also interested in going to UHH, however, I would need to see if I can can financed for the tuition costs...$30,000 plus for non-residents and then the increased living costs. Hopefully, it all works out.......I would love to go there!

probably true but what's wrong with breeding pharmacists where they are needed the most?

are we talking about the old hawaii? there were some good students who were rob of their degree., its sad to see those potential are no longer applying, while those non-potential are in or still ... just my own personal thought :hardy: but does it matter anymore...what i am trying to say is that you are getting the left over or non-potentials :smuggrin:

are we talking about the old hawaii? there were some good students who were rob of their degree., its sad to see those potential are no longer applying, while those non-potential are in or still ... just my own personal thought :hardy: but does it matter anymore

I'm sorry you feel this way, sounds like you were part of the "old potential". However, it seems like most the old potential actually did re-apply and get in somewhere...and perhaps even in dental/med. You're entitled to your opinions...just a bit rash though. Take care.

University of Hawaii-Hilo is a new school, so yes, it has applied for accreditation in October 2006. It is not accredited yet. Accreditation is granted after the first class graduates (in 2011). The school will hopefully be granted "Pre-Candidate" status in June 2007 after the accreditation counsel approves of the pharmacy program. Then the first class will be able to begin taking classes. After the first year, with the approval of the accreditation counsel, the school can be granted "Candidate" status. After four years, the school can finally be accredited.

It starts with the application for accreditation and the granting of Pre-Candidate status. All new pharmacy schools have to undergo this process.

Sounds similar to this link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=101004
by 01-24-2004, 06:42 PM #4 LVPharm SDN Moderator

This isn't the same school in Hawaii......this is a brand new school.

I have a question for MoLoSadness..........
Did you even complete college level english? Looks like you can barely write a complete sentence. What are trying to say anyway?

Who is getting what? Left over of what? Shouldn't rob be typed as robbed?

I think you need to go back to elementary english class and learn verb, noun and pronoun usage. My 1st grade niece an write a better sentence than that!

And you want to be a pharmacist?

what's new on this blog....? it's getting hotter here

Hey pinkplum, fix yourself up first before telling others. It's funny how you have the nerve to tell others when the same problem lies within yourself.

What are trying to say anyway?
My 1st grade niece an write a better sentence than that!

Those two sentences make no gramatical sense at all, but you probably didn't know that. This is why I suggest ESL English. Forget college English, go back to elementary school.

And you want to be a pharmacist?

I have an interview over the telephone today with UofH-Hilo !!!! Im so excited!

Please keep the posting civil. We have many people who utilize this board - many of which English is not their primary language. Please be respectful of differences.

~above~

wth..sounds like the old hawaii style---telephone interview, dejavu...is this against ACPE standard and helno's policy?

Admission Process

Qualified applicants will be invited for personal interview. The interview will be conducted with a member of the Admissions Committee and an additional volunteer faculty or staff member. All interviews will be conducted during the month of February. ...

Will I be required to interview at the College before I will be considered for admissions?Yes, the College will require an on-site interview prior to admissions to the Pharm.D. program.

Don't see info on ACPE disclosure..just this "The accreditation application was submitted on October 1, 2006"

MoLoSadness, it seems like your whole objective is to bash on this school for some personal reasons you may have in the past with HICP. Not only that, you have also effectively insulted many students as well. Stop making a fool of yourself and let the ACPE decide in three weeks what is to become of UHH. You can post all the "I told you so's" afterwards.

May I ask you what your stats are?

Is this a secondary interview? I thought you were required to go to one of the 3 interview sites for it.

MoLoSadness, its sad how you can't seem to move on from the past....i know many people did and it just made them stronger. For you...it seems like it had the opposite effect. Okay...Im not responding to anymore ignorant people on this forum as of right now.

For those who are interested in attending UHH CoP, I don't think you should have any concerns about this school. I have faith in this school. Eventually they will receive their pre-can status. HICP was a private institution. UHH is a public institution, meaning that it's provided by the government. I dont think the government will cheat us out of our education. Dont forget...UHH has a medical program. I dont think they would do anything to jeopardize their reputation. I truly believe that they are legit and will eventually become one of the best pharmacy schools out there!

And to BackeyWackey, good luck on your interview! I hope to see you at UHH!!! Class of 2011!

this is found on their site: Students with more than one repeat of a course will not be considered for admission to the College of Pharmacy.

has anyone gotten accepted in spite of this? I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who has retaken a course at least once.