Typical Med School Candidate

Pre-med2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am currently a junior in High School and really stressing out about getting into Med School. I would really appreciate it if someone coulf please tell me what I should Aim for during Undergrad. I will most likely be going to the University of Florida and want to know the requirements for getting into john hopkins med and UF med school.

My guess: (john Hopkins)

3.9cGPA
3.8sGPA
521 MCAT
100 clincal hours
50 shadowing
3 years research

Members don't see this ad.

Ur not premed until u graduate highschool

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If this isn’t a troll it is very sad. Get into college do the best you can and we’ll see you in 5-6 years when you might be ready to apply to med school. Now go get ready for prom or something.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take a deep breath and enjoy the rest of high school. Focus on getting into college right now. Cross one hurdle at a time. Once you are accepted to college and start, take your first semester to get adjusted and then seek out a pre-med advisor to help you map out a plan for ECs. Until then, do nothing. This is like pre-meds worrying about how to position themselves for a residency spot before even getting into med school... there is zero point in having this be a stressor in your life right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Just do your best. Get involved, explore research, do volunteering you enjoy and be a well rounded person. Take classes seriously and do well. Don't try to assign numbers to anything right now. What is getting a 521 on the MCAT mean to you at this point? Do know what John Hopkins program is like? Don't get lost in looking too far forward. Enjoy the present and keep getting involved and doing well in school. Those are the only things you have control over.

Reactions: 1 user
Literily NOTHING you do until university will help you get into med school. Go be a high schooler, get into the undergrad you want and then come back. Please!! For the sake of your youth.

I can tell you that you will burn out if you enter college with the mindset you have right now. This will prevent you from accomplishing anything significant. Just focus in high school and enjoy your life.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. I am currently a junior in High School and really stressing out about getting into Med School. I would really appreciate it if someone coulf please tell me what I should Aim for during Undergrad. I will most likely be going to the University of Florida and want to know the requirements for getting into john hopkins med and UF med school.

My guess: (john Hopkins)

3.9cGPA
3.8sGPA
521 MCAT
100 clincal hours
50 shadowing
3 years research
Get into college and then ask these questions.

Your task list includes:

1. Post in hSDN forum
2. Chill out and embrace the fact that life is uncertain

Look, I agree with everyone else that you need to chill, enjoy high school, and get into college before getting all freaked out about all this, but some general advice:

john Hopkins

First, there is an "S". Make sure you get the school's name correct.

100 clincal hours
50 shadowing
3 years research

All of these are going to depend on the quality. You have to be able to talk about what you did, saw, learned, etc. rather than just the fact you did them for X amount of time.

3.9cGPA
3.8sGPA

This is difficult but not impossible. The most important thing for you to do as a high school student is establish good study habits and discipline before getting into college. I am sure you think you have good study skills - I though I did too in high school - but you may not have been tested like you will be in college courses. Learn HOW to study now and carry that into undergrad. Also, when you get into undergrad, try to pick a major that interests you, even if it isn't a traditional science major. You will do better if you are interested in what you are learning.

Don't think about this yet. Take undergrad courses that give you a good foundation in the sciences and take biochem before taking the MCAT. Otherwise, you will just have to study and take some practice tests to see how well you do and how much you can improve. Aiming for a number right off the bat is bad juju and is only going to set you up for disappointment and frustration.

Finally, once you are getting closer to applying to medical schools, you can check out each school's stats. Come back in a couple years and be overly obsessed and stressed then, but not now.