General Admissions & OTCAS TWU Denton/Dallas/Houston Mot Applicants Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that have been rejected before, how does that work? Or how does this whole thing work in general. On the site it says that initial acceptance letter should be sent out by Feb. 1, so if we don't hear anything by then should I suspect that I didn't get in?

Members don't see this ad.

By chance has anyone emailed or called to find out possible dates we should expect to get decisions. If not, I'll email next week. Last year, people were calling up there left and right. Lol
They said we should find out or letters should be sent out by Feb. 1 for acceptance.

They said we should find out or letters should be sent out by Feb. 1 for acceptance.
For those that have been rejected before, how does that work? Or how does this whole thing work in general. On the site it says that initial acceptance letter should be sent out by Feb. 1, so if we don't hear anything by then should I suspect that I didn't get in?

Here's how it worked last year, but it might not be the same this year since they seem to be changing things up:

People who were accepted received emails earlier in the morning, waitlist emails came later in the morning or afternoon. If you didn't receive any contact then it was safe to assume you were rejected, but you can call to check on your status if you receive no contact.

I was waitlisted last year and called to confirm my status. When I was cut from waitlist, they emailed me. We got the waitlist offer around December 13th last year and I was cut from waitlist sometime around January 30th.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's how it worked last year, but it might not be the same this year since they seem to be changing things up:

People who were accepted received emails earlier in the morning, waitlist emails came later in the morning or afternoon. If you didn't receive any contact then it was safe to assume you were rejected, but you can call to check on your status if you receive no contact.

I was waitlisted last year and called to confirm my status. When I was cut from waitlist, they emailed me. We got the waitlist offer around December 13th last year and I was cut from waitlist sometime around January 30th.
Thank you very much!. I will be glad once Dallas sends out their letters. Where did you apply?

Which TWU MOT program are you from?
I feel like difficulty with it all depends on your background in undergrad. Some people do better than others in certain situations. For example, I was required to take biomechanics classes at my school and some other classes. May I also ask is this your first year into the program at TWU and which campus are you at? It may just take some getting used to ....keep your head up and don't get discouraged. No matter where you go it's going to be a lot of information and a lot of time commitment.

Hi everyone! I'm a first time applicant to the OT program. I applied to UTMB (did not get in :(), TWU, & UTHSCSA. I got an interview for uthscsa, but I have not heard from them yet, and I'm waiting to hear from TWU. The suspense is killing me!! My stats are:
GPA: 3.3
Major: psychology
Last 60 gpa: 3.6
Observation hours: 120

My gpa is not that great so I am a little worried :unsure:

Hi everyone! I'm a first time applicant to the OT program. I applied to UTMB (did not get in :(), TWU, & UTHSCSA. I got an interview for uthscsa, but I have not heard from them yet, and I'm waiting to hear from TWU. The suspense is killing me!! My stats are:
GPA: 3.3
Major: psychology
Last 60 gpa: 3.6
Observation hours: 120

My gpa is not that great so I am a little worried :unsure:
Hey there! I am hoping that they tell us about TWU this week. I know they told Denton last week, but I guess we will see. Good Luck!

Hey there! I am hoping that they tell us about TWU this week. I know they told Denton last week, but I guess we will see. Good Luck!
Thanks!! I hope so too!!! I'll be stalking the mailman and checking my email every 5 min lol. Good luck to you as well :)

I GOT RECOMMENDED FOR ACCEPTANCE TWU DALLAS!!!!!!! yay! hope everyone else hears good news!

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, Dallas acceptance emails have started being sent out today. I got mine at 11:45am! Thank you, GOD! Of course I immediately emailed them back that I accept the recommendation.

I'm toward the beginning of the alphabet, but I'm not sure if they send them out in alphabetical order?

The email asked for us to respond with a commitment by Jan 27th, so that they can offer the position to another candidate. So I'm guessing they will send another round of acceptances out around Feb 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to Dallas, too!!!!! My heart is racing! I still can't believe it...

Reactions: 2 users
I never received an email, so I guess I didn't get in;however, then again...I am not sure they even reviewed my application. I had to send my dual credit transcripts late due to a mail issue, so it is possible that they didn't review my application, but they don't tell you that information so..but Congrats to everyone who got in! I am just waiting for a response from the University of Missouri.

@worriedgirl92 I wouldn't write it off yet. It's only midday, and this is just the first round. They will probably do another round of acceptances and then offer waitlist positions. It's still really early in the game. You never know what's going to happen!

Let us know when you HOUSTON applicants hear something! I'm curious if they are sending initial recommendations out today also.

Maybe I'm overeager, but I'd love to get a FB group started for those who are definitely attending TWU Dallas! Y'all should PM me so we can find each other. :)

Let us know when you HOUSTON applicants hear something! I'm curious if they are sending initial recommendations out today also.
I'm thinking they'll send them next week, although I'm eager to find out ASAP! Congrats to those who got in the Denton campus

Hello! I'm new to this forum but I've been following it for a few weeks now. I just received my acceptance recommendation for Dallas at 11:45am today! I was wondering if anyone has gotten a response after sending a reply saying you accept it?

I had a 3.9 last 60 GPA AND 2 B, rest A's on prerequisites. And no I didn't take over any bc I already graduated. They might accept new grades on perquisites but I know not on any other undergrad classes after you graduate. You might want to check with Lawana. Buut I didn't intend on re-taking. Not unless I didn't get in this year. And thank you. I'm excited but nervous bc I know it will be strenuous than undergrad. I'm married with 4 kids soooo.. Lol

Hi! I see you have been recommended for acceptance for the Denton campus, that basically means you're officially accepted right?

Congratulations to everyone on being accepted thus far! I wonder is it to early to call to find out if we were put on the waitlist or rejected all together. I feel as though I'd be at ease knowing "something" rather than nothing at this point. It is killing me.

Those accepted please share your stats if possible it would be great to see what TWU was looking for in candidates.

Last edited:
I'm definitely in stocking mode...Houston campus results cannot get here soon enough!

I called LaWana explained that we would all be notified via email of the results of our application (rejected/accepted or waitlisted). We will also receive a letter via snail mail (I have noticed programs almost never send out letters to those rejected)

Secondly, LaWana explained that Dallas must have sent theirs out sooner than Houston (as in they don't wait to release them in some order) just once those programs are done going through the applicant pool.

Houston could find out today, tomorrow, the next day! But definitely before Feb. 1st.

This makes me nervous and my anxiety to getting the best of me.

I called LaWana explained that we would all be notified via email of the results of our application (rejected/accepted or waitlisted). We will also receive a letter via snail mail (I have noticed programs almost never send out letters to those rejected)

Secondly, LaWana explained that Dallas must have sent theirs out sooner than Houston (as in they don't wait to release them in some order) just once those programs are done going through the applicant pool.

Houston could find out today, tomorrow, the next day! But definitely before Feb. 1st.

This makes me nervous and my anxiety to getting the best of me.
Omg that's good to hear!! Just a couple more days till we find out

Congrats to those that got in! I got a rejection email from Dallas today. :'(

Houston was my second choice, does anyone know if we are notified from them too? I'm not sure how it works since it's my first year applying.

Last edited:
Congratulations, everyone! If you didn't get in, don't give up hope!

I didn't think they would send out rejection letters this early.
I haven't received an email so I'm not sure what to think.
My heart's racing 200mph and I just want it to go back to normal pace....
I need to hear something >.>

Don't give up hope! I was a second-year applicant.

My first time around, I had an overall GPA of ~3.75, a last 60 GPA of 3.9, and pre-req GPA of 3.75. I was waitlisted and later accepted to Houston in the summer. My circumstances didn't make moving to Houston very favorable, so I said no.

This application cycle, my overall was 3.8, last 60 was ~3.9 and pre-req was ~3.9.

Houston was my second choice, does anyone know if we are notified from them too? I'm not sure how it works since it's my first year applying.

Sorry to hear you got a rejection letter. I had no idea they'd send them out this early. Especially, because so many being accepted are probably going to pass on their acceptances (because they've paid deposits elsewhere). I thought for sure they'd have a long waitlist this year. Don't give up hope if being an OT is what you really want to pursue. God Bless.

I just received my acceptance recommendation for Dallas at 11:45am today! I was wondering if anyone has gotten a response after sending a reply saying you accept it?

I received a reply from Tomeka, the Dallas assistant, about 30 min after I emailed my acceptance of the recommendation. The form-letter reply said that they (OT admission committee) will send their recommendation of me to the Graduate school and I will receive an official acceptance or denial letter in the mail.

Hi! I see you have been recommended for acceptance for the Denton campus, that basically means you're officially accepted right?

Take out the "officially" part, and you are right. From my understanding, the School of OT admission committee decides who they want to recommend and sends that to the Grad school, the Grad School will not deny the applicant unless it's some major issue (like academic dishonesty discovered, or a felony? ...I'm getting carried away here. Ha!)

So "basically accepted," Yes. We have to wait for letter in the mail for "officially accepted"

Danggit! I'm sorry. I truly believe that just means there is something better for you. I wish I knew if Dallas rejection also means Houston, or if there is a chance there.

But I will say, though I wouldn't have chosen the break of several years between applying and re-applying, I'm in such a better place now to be an effective student and OT than when I first applied. I can see that this is so much better! As I said before: thank you, God!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you got a rejection letter. I had no idea they'd send them out this early. Especially, because so many being accepted are probably going to pass on their acceptances (because they've paid deposits elsewhere). I thought for sure they'd have a long waitlist this year. Don't give up hope if being an OT is what you really want to pursue. God Bless.

Thanks for your support. I am definitely reapplying next year and I've learned from my mistakes (I had disasteroius experience with OTCAS that caused me to miss a few deadlines).

I just wish I knew how I could improve my application for TWU. But, I am trying to stay positive.

Hopefully you hear back from twu soon.

Danggit! I'm sorry. I truly believe that just means there is something better for you. I wish I knew if Dallas rejection also means Houston, or if there is a chance there.

But I will say, though I wouldn't have chosen the break of several years between applying and re-applying, I'm in such a better place now to be an effective student and OT than when I first applied. I can see that this is so much better! As I said before: thank you, God!

Thank you for your kind words! I will be reapplying next year for sure.

Any advice you can give me? Tips?

Thank you for your kind words! I will be reapplying next year for sure.

Any advice you can give me? Tips?

I was rejected last year from the waitlist. I think I got in this year because I got some experience as a therapy tech (assisting OTs) and wrote a new essay based on my new experiences/knowledge. I also got different references, ones who took a bit more effort but who I felt would have truly positive things to say about me and the familiarity to back it up.

So do not give up hope. If your grades need improving, take some graduate level courses to raise your GPA. Gain some experience. Focus on finding strong recommenders, even if it means beginning volunteer work with the purpose of having your supervisor serve as your recommender. If you volunteer In an OT related field then there's your experience as an added plus.

Just don't give up and try again! Figure out if OT is what you really want, and if it is, do what you have to do to get there.

Does anyone know why someone who is recommended for acceptance wouldn't be accepted by graduate school? Now I'm worried that somehow something will mess up and I won't get in... It's only if you have like a criminal record or something huh? I am such a worry wart

I was rejected last year from the waitlist. I think I got in this year because I got some experience as a therapy tech (assisting OTs) and wrote a new essay based on my new experiences/knowledge. I also got different references, ones who took a bit more effort but who I felt would have truly positive things to say about me and the familiarity to back it up.

So do not give up hope. If your grades need improving, take some graduate level courses to raise your GPA. Gain some experience. Focus on finding strong recommenders, even if it means beginning volunteer work with the purpose of having your supervisor serve as your recommender. If you volunteer In an OT related field then there's your experience as an added plus.

Just don't give up and try again! Figure out if OT is what you really want, and if it is, do what you have to do to get there.

Hi!

Thank you for your advice! I'm still analyzing what I could've done differently, lol. I think my personal statement needed more work, but I'll never know. The email sent to me pretty much said that a lot of people applied to the Dallas campus and that space was limited.

I work at a non-private special education school that is OT based, so I have experience running OT goals and I work with the OT on site. So, I have plenty of experience and volunteer experience at other clinics on top of that.

Here are my stats:

Pre-reqs: ~3.6
Last 60: ~3.85-3.9
Overall: ~3.67

I thought I was competitive but, I'm not allowing that to deter me from applying again. I thought maybe my residency may have affected me being accepted (I live in California). I'll just never know

Does anyone know why someone who is recommended for acceptance wouldn't be accepted by graduate school? Now I'm worried that somehow something will mess up and I won't get in... It's only if you have like a criminal record or something huh? I am such a worry wart

Don't worry! It really is a formality. You are in. I've never heard of anyone being denied by the Graduate School.

Now go have a good day and get excited that you really are going to be an OT!

YAY!!! I also received my e-mail notifying me of my recommendation for admission into the Dallas campus yesterday!! Very excited!!!! :) Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet. Now my problem is deciding between TTUHSC and TWU - is anyone else in this predicament?!

Hi,
Dont lose hope. I was denied in dallas but got admitted in Houston two yrs ago. Dallas is more competitive than Houston, so, Keep the faith.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to those of you who were rejected, and good luck to those of you who haven't heard back yet! I'm sure there will be more acceptances sent out after the January 27th deadline passes.

Last edited:
Will they release the results already. I'm dying on the inside!!!

I just received my acceptance email for Houston!

Reactions: 3 users
I've found it difficult to find total program costs for TWU MOT because the link just directs you to the calculator. So, here is what the estimator said, in case it helps anyone plan ahead or make a decision about which program to accept:

Using the Tuition and Fees Estimator based on 2014-2015 In-State rates:

Total program cost (Tuition and Fees): $26,744.26 or $27,164.26
This does not include books and parking.

Break down per semester:
Semester 1 - Fall 2015
12 credits = $4028.04

Semester 2 - Spring 2016
13 credits = $4328.71

Semester 3 - Summer 2016
7 credits = $2394.68

Semester 4 - Fall 2016
13 credits = $4328.71

Semester 5 - Spring 2017
12 credits = $4028.04

Fieldwork - Summer/Fall 2017
24 credits = $7636.08 (counted all in one semester) OR $8056.08 (counted as 2 semesters)

Reactions: 3 users
So if I don't get an email of rejection or acceptance does this mean I'm wait listed?

I am starting to really get nervous with no news at all?

I've found it difficult to find total program costs for TWU MOT because the link just directs you to the calculator. So, here is what the estimator said, in case it helps anyone plan ahead or make a decision about which program to accept:

Using the Tuition and Fees Estimator based on 2014-2015 In-State rates:

Total program cost (Tuition and Fees): $26,744.26 or $27,164.26
This does not include books and parking.

Break down per semester:
Semester 1 - Fall 2015
12 credits = $4028.04

Semester 2 - Spring 2016
13 credits = $4328.71

Semester 3 - Summer 2016
7 credits = $2394.68

Semester 4 - Fall 2016
13 credits = $4328.71

Semester 5 - Spring 2017
12 credits = $4028.04

Fieldwork - Summer/Fall 2017
24 credits = $7636.08 (counted all in one semester) OR $8056.08 (counted as 2 semesters)

Good to see it broken down. Texas really is a great state to receive higher levels of education due to lower program costs.

I just received my acceptance email for Houston!
@Enolee Congrats on your acceptance! Also I was wondering if you mind sharing your stats? I'm looking to apply to TWU Houston in 2016.

Congrats to everyone else who got in and for anyone that didn't make it don't give up hope!