General Admissions & OTCAS TWU Denton/Dallas/Houston Mot Applicants Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, yesterday I dropped my Biomechanics class! (it was a prerequisite for my backups - UTHSCSA & TTUHSC 2016). Even though I only got 70% tuition back I have all the notes, labs and text. So I'll study it on my own.

I'm also going to take the extra time I have now this Spring/Summer to review A&P - especially Neuro, and start reading the 1st semester textbooks for MOT. I've been told by students and faculty that the 1st semester is by far the hardest - lots of reading! One student told me that you simply can't read all of the assigned material so you end up having to skim and get the highlights. I'm hoping I'll get all the reading done in this extra 7 months, so in the Fall it will just be review of what I already read.

When I get a booklist together with assigned readings I'll post it here if anyone is interested. I have an inside source ;)

Can you tell I literally can't wait to start? HA!

Congrats on getting in! I also received my acceptance letter to TWU-Dallas and I'm so excited!! :soexcited: If you are able to post the booklist and assigned reading list, I would be really interested in starting that too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, yesterday I dropped my Biomechanics class! (it was a prerequisite for my backups - UTHSCSA & TTUHSC 2016). Even though I only got 70% tuition back I have all the notes, labs and text. So I'll study it on my own.

I'm also going to take the extra time I have now this Spring/Summer to review A&P - especially Neuro, and start reading the 1st semester textbooks for MOT. I've been told by students and faculty that the 1st semester is by far the hardest - lots of reading! One student told me that you simply can't read all of the assigned material so you end up having to skim and get the highlights. I'm hoping I'll get all the reading done in this extra 7 months, so in the Fall it will just be review of what I already read.

When I get a booklist together with assigned readings I'll post it here if anyone is interested. I have an inside source ;)

Can you tell I literally can't wait to start? HA!
Thank you!! That would be really helpful, I would like to begin reading just to be prepared. I'm so excited to start!!

Congrats everyone! I was accepted by both TWU Dallas and TTUHSC (still deciding on which program to attend, but leaning towards TWU Dallas at the moment).

I noticed a lot of things in the email that kind of threw me off as well. The title of the email was "TWU School of Occupational Therapy Acceptance", but then within the email they say you will subsequently receive a notification of acceptance OR denial from the Graduate School following the recommendation.

Even though everything I've heard/read has basically told me that there's almost no chance of being denied after being recommended, I can't avoid focusing on the fact that there is still an implied chance of being denied.

Oh well, I should probably start preparing for the first semester too... :)

Also, the official notifications are supposed to go out around February 1st, correct?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who have received letters! I am anxiously awaiting news if I made the cut, the wait list, and or if it is time to focus on a plan B. This is my first time applying (TWU Dallas only) as I am a later in life student with a family who decided to take a leap of faith on myself.

Thank you Pandanator for giving the title of the email. I am trying to remain cautiously optimistic, but the wait is so nerve wracking.

PS- for those that do not get in, what is your plan B? Not getting into the OT program in Dallas is not an option for me. I am considering going for a second bachelor's degree from TWU if necessary as in my mind that would trump the 12 hours of grad school. Can you tell I am obsessing?

Last edited:
Hello everyone! First, congrats to everyone that got accepted! I also was accepted to the Dallas MOT program. My stats were actually not as impressive as most are, so I want to give hope to those who are still looking at schools.

I am currently finishing up my last semester of undergrad - graduating this spring. This was my first time applying.
- overall GPA when I applied was 3.55, but now I have a 3.6 overall.
- pre-req GPA - 3.67
- last 60 credits when I applied - ~ 3.9
- had about 100 volunteer hours under elderly and children OT practitioners.

Hello everyone! First, congrats to everyone that got accepted! I also was accepted to the Dallas MOT program. My stats were actually not as impressive as most are, so I want to give hope to those who are still looking at schools.

I am currently finishing up my last semester of undergrad - graduating this spring. This was my first time applying.
- overall GPA when I applied was 3.55, but now I have a 3.6 overall.
- pre-req GPA - 3.67
- last 60 credits when I applied - ~ 3.9
- had about 100 volunteer hours under elderly and children OT practitioners.

Aesamuels- are you graduating from TWU?

First, I would like to congratulate everyone who got accepted! I was also accepted for the Houston MOT program.
My acceptance came as a pleasant surprise and totally unexpected...I nearly cried ! :)
A reading list will be really helpful since we have a lot of downtime until the program starts. Thank you to EquineTherapy who suggested it.
Can't wait to start...eekkk!

First, I would like to congratulate everyone who got accepted! I was also accepted for the Houston MOT program.
My acceptance came as a pleasant surprise and totally unexpected...I nearly cried ! :)
A reading list will be really helpful since we have a lot of downtime until the program starts. Thank you to EquineTherapy who suggested it.
Can't wait to start...eekkk!
Hello there future classmate! Welcome to the forum! I will see you there :highfive: So excited to start!! :soexcited:

Does anyone know if the official letters of acceptance are what will be sent out by February 1st? Or were they just talking about acceptance emails? I'd imagine since they're using the words "letters" that maybe we will receive letters from the graduate school by then.

I'm almost tempted to call the graduate school and ask about how that process works.

I know I'm worrying too much but it just seems too good to be true- I've waited 3 years for acceptance! Ijust want to have that letter, put it on my fridge and take the last big sigh of relief!

Congrats to all who got accepted! I'm currently in TWU Dallas MOT program right now. Feel free to ask me anything.

Congrats to all who got accepted! I'm currently in TWU Dallas MOT program right now. Feel free to ask me anything.

Thank you so much- do you mind answering these questions on this board or would you rather a private message?

1. Is there one thing you wish you knew/ were prepared for prior to beginning the program?
2. how do you and the other students feel about the course load?
3. Is there anything you would change about the program?

Thanks!!

OTWannabe15 --those are the same questions I would wanna ask. Thank you.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated for us future OT students :)

I am thinking of starting an official Facebook group page for TWU MOT 2015 Houston students...what do you guys think?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Besides the questions otwannabe15 asked, how approachable are the faculty? And which is the most challenging semester?

OTWannabe15 --those are the same questions I would wanna ask. Thank you.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated for us future OT students :)

I am thinking of starting an official Facebook group page for TWU MOT 2015 Houston students...what do you guys think?
I would like that! So we can all get to know each other (I personally don't have a Facebook but I would make an exception).

1. Is there one thing you wish you knew/ were prepared for prior to beginning the program?
2. how do you and the other students feel about the course load?
3. Is there anything you would change about the program?

1. I know students who had taken A&P online or who had taken the class many years ago wish that they had come into the program more prepared over anatomy. If you come into the program familiar with the structure/function of the nervous system and names/general location of all the muscles/joints, you'll be better prepared with the tougher courses in the first semester.

2. I felt like the professors kind of babied us for the first half of the semester, even going so far as to spread midterms into 2 weeks instead of the customary 1 week. Don't come into the program expecting to get bogged down with assignments immediately. Try to keep up with readings, but even if you can't (like me), becoming highly familiar with the powerpoints will get you very far. Group projects will come piling in, but they are manageable. You'll have to be careful not to overwhelm yourselves toward the latter half as you memorize all the muscles for a practicum while trying to finish the projects. Keep on top of those projects and don't let yourselves procrastinate because your class members are depending on you as well.

3. I have no idea how other OT programs are, so I don't have something to compare it to. I have to say that the only thing is I wished my program were a little less research-oriented and more clinical-oriented, if that makes sense. The readings can get pretty dry, especially if you were in a research lab in undergrad and already familiar with research.

Hi! Besides the questions otwannabe15 asked, how approachable are the faculty? And which is the most challenging semester?

The professors are wonderful. A couple may seem intimidating at first, but really, they are all very approachable people. They like to crack jokes, share stories, and they are generally likable. About the most challenging semester...maybe the first? I'm not very sure. My current semester contains double the reading assignments, so I'll have to get back to you on this :)

btw, this will be your neuro-best friend:
https://evolve.elsevier.com/cs/product/9781455707461?role=student
Questions from this resource are similar to exam questions.

Reactions: 5 users
1. I know students who had taken A&P online or who had taken the class many years ago wish that they had come into the program more prepared over anatomy. If you come into the program familiar with the structure/function of the nervous system and names/general location of all the muscles/joints, you'll be better prepared with the tougher courses in the first semester.

2. I felt like the professors kind of babied us for the first half of the semester, even going so far as to spread midterms into 2 weeks instead of the customary 1 week. Don't come into the program expecting to get bogged down with assignments immediately. Try to keep up with readings, but even if you can't (like me), becoming highly familiar with the powerpoints will get you very far. Group projects will come piling in, but they are manageable. You'll have to be careful not to overwhelm yourselves toward the latter half as you memorize all the muscles for a practicum while trying to finish the projects. Keep on top of those projects and don't let yourselves procrastinate because your class members are depending on you as well.

3. I have no idea how other OT programs are, so I don't have something to compare it to. I have to say that the only thing is I wished my program were a little less research-oriented and more clinical-oriented, if that makes sense. The readings can get pretty dry, especially if you were in a research lab in undergrad and already familiar with research.

The professors are wonderful. A couple may seem intimidating at first, but really, they are all very approachable people. They like to crack jokes, share stories, and they are generally likable. About the most challenging semester...maybe the first? I'm not very sure. My current semester contains double the reading assignments, so I'll have to get back to you on this :)

Thank you for your input!!

Wow thank you! Great advice!

Congrats to all of you who have been posting about acceptances! I'm just going to put this out there one more time for those of you just joining the thread. It's the TWU Dallas FB group!

Reading List! I started a Pinterest Board based on required texts for Fall 2014 course schedule. I'll update this as I get new info. This week I will see my friend who is starting 4th Semester in MOT Dallas in Aug. So hopefully I'll get some guidance as far as reading assignments, and update ya'll.

http://www.pinterest.com/mandiegayle/twu-mot-textbooks/

Reactions: 5 users
Reading List! I started a Pinterest Board based on required texts for Fall 2014 course schedule. I'll update this as I get new info. This week I will see my friend who is starting 4th Semester in MOT Dallas in Aug. So hopefully I'll get some guidance as far as reading assignments, and update ya'll.

http://www.pinterest.com/mandiegayle/twu-mot-textbooks/

I am so happy you posted this...thank you! Also, I want to add that for anyone who needs a refresher on anatomy. A student whom I asked for advice recommended the Acland anatomy dvd (which can also be found on Youtube Part 1-6). I found this really helpful!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anybody's webadvisor changed to something other than "awaiting department review"? And when should we expect more emails or an official acceptance?

Has anybody's webadvisor changed to something other than "awaiting department review"? And when should we expect more emails or an official acceptance?
Hi there! I guess you are also waiting on reply. I am guessing since today is the deadline for telling if someone is going to accept their offer that we should find out tomorrow or at least by the end of the week. Best of luck!

I checked my TWU Pioneer page and my status still shows "Awaiting Dept. Review--last updated 9/03/14).
I replied to their acceptance email and received a reply back saying they will "forward it to the graduate school...and Notification of official acceptance or denial will come by mail." Hopefully, we will receive the official letters soon.

They are not very quick to update pioneer portal. I was rejected last year in january and my pioneer portal was not updated to 'denied' until April.

The best way to find out your status in real time is to call or check your emails (don't forget to check spam folder! )

Hey everyone! Just an update - I called yesterday regarding the email that says we will receive an official acceptance or denial because I was worried about dropping other prereqs with any lingering uncertainty. Tomeka Nolen said I wasn't the first to call, and she is suggesting they change the wording since it causes so much apprehension for us applicants. She told me that receiving the acceptance email was cause for celebration, I could with 100% confidence drop my prereqs, as they have never offered a spot and later revoked it. Also, official letters should go out by Feb 1 from the graduate school.

Hope this helps anyone else who was worried! Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear news!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks to see if/when people started getting acceptance letters!
I got accepted to TWU Dallas yesterday! YAY!
I just wanted to offer a few pieces of advice. I received my acceptance email midday yesterday and then got a scary voice mail that said they had sent out acceptance emails last week (I never got mine!) and that they hadn't heard from me yet, and if I did not respond by today (1-27) they were going to give my spot away!
I called the department this morning and the woman I spoke with said that a lot of people we're not getting their emails, especially people with gmail accounts. Check your spam folders!! Call if you feel like you need to!!
I thought I would share my stats like aesamuels121 did. I thought that was a great idea!

I applied last year with these stats (and got wait-listed, then rejected):
Overall gpa: 3.9
Prerequisite gpa: 4.0
Last 60 hours gpa: 4.0
Hours of observation: 30

So this year, I had the exact same GPA's because I graduated in May, but I had over 600 hours of observation. I think that made a huge difference.

Hey everyone! Just an update - I called yesterday regarding the email that says we will receive an official acceptance or denial because I was worried about dropping other prereqs with any lingering uncertainty. Tomeka Nolen said I wasn't the first to call, and she is suggesting they change the wording since it causes so much apprehension for us applicants. She told me that receiving the acceptance email was cause for celebration, I could with 100% confidence drop my prereqs, as they have never offered a spot and later revoked it. Also, official letters should go out by Feb 1 from the graduate school.

Hope this helps anyone else who was worried! Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear news!

I called Ms. Nolen this morning as well for the exact same reason! She said the exact same thing to me! I agree that they should change the wording, it doesn't sit well with us anxious applicants ;)

I heard this as well, and agree that the wording is pretty misleading. I was really excited to receive the email, but there was no way that I was going to ignore the fact that there was an implied possibility of still being denied by the Graduate School.

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks to see if/when people started getting acceptance letters!
I got accepted to TWU Dallas yesterday! YAY!
I just wanted to offer a few pieces of advice. I received my acceptance email midday yesterday and then got a scary voice mail that said they had sent out acceptance emails last week (I never got mine!) and that they hadn't heard from me yet, and if I did not respond by today (1-27) they were going to give my spot away!
I called the department this morning and the woman I spoke with said that a lot of people we're not getting their emails, especially people with gmail accounts. Check your spam folders!! Call if you feel like you need to!!
I thought I would share my stats like aesamuels121 did. I thought that was a great idea!

I applied last year with these stats (and got wait-listed, then rejected):
Overall gpa: 3.9
Prerequisite gpa: 4.0
Last 60 hours gpa: 4.0
Hours of observation: 30

So this year, I had the exact same GPA's because I graduated in May, but I had over 600 hours of observation. I think that made a huge difference.

Congrats! I am really glad that you were notified and able to respond in time--that could have ended REALLY badly. :wideyed:

Many people in this thread seem to be focusing on GPAs, but observation hours and experience are obviously critical factors in the application process as well. Not only does it look good to have the extra experience, but developing strong relationships with the OTs, patients, and families will likely have a significant impact on the observation forms, letters of recommendation, and essays; these are major components of the application. I know that TWU did not have an interview, but I constantly drew upon my experiences as I went through the interview process with TTUHSC (I was accepted there as well).

Last edited:
Are there any Denton people on here who may have started a FB page already?

Has anyone known or currently knows someone who works and does the program? Whether it be full or part time?

Has anyone known or currently knows someone who works and does the program? Whether it be full or part time?

I would love to know the answer to this too! I know of one person who is in the program who quit her full time job to go to school.. I remember someone at the information day saying that they really discourage having a job and being in the program at the same time...
However... that's asking a LOT from someone. I need to work!

Reactions: 1 users
I would love to know the answer to this too! I know of one person who is in the program who quit her full time job to go to school.. I remember someone at the information day saying that they really discourage having a job and being in the program at the same time...

When I attended the UTHSC interview we had a chance to meet with some of the current MOT students and they told me a few of their classmates worked part-time. They said it could be done but, you need to have strong time management skills in order to juggle work and the course load. Of course I don't know if the same can be said about the TWU program.

I feel the same way! Even if it is just part time. I'm fine with that. However, I am TYPE A personality and I stress over EVERYTHING lol. Sooooooo maybe it won't be a good idea to work.. See I'm already worrying lol

Good Morning! Congrats to everyone that has been accepted to the MOT program! For those still waiting for a response, any news on the waitlist?

I've heard them stress several times that it's really recommended that people do not work... But I guess in the end that all depends on your individual situation. They probably have experience with people who work being the ones who drop out or fail, otherwise they probably wouldn't discourage it.

Hi swayingaspen,

Three last questions related to cost:
1) what is the typical cost of books for a semester? Do they reuse any from semester to semester?
2) do we cover the cost of background check and drug screen? If so, do you remember the cost? I've heard hair tests are expensive and urine cheaper, but I have no idea what their range is
3) how much does parking cost?

Just trying to cover my bases as far as expected expenses go haha. Thanks again!

Good Morning! Congrats to everyone that has been accepted to the MOT program! For those still waiting for a response, any news on the waitlist?
Hi Srod, still no news for me either- so I am either rejected and or wait listed. I called yesterday to see if all rejections had been sent and was told they would be sent out by next week. It was my hope that they had been which would mean I still had a chance. I didn't ask by my name specifically as I can only imagine they are being overwhelmed with phone calls. I am trying my best to be patient but it is so hard. So, you are not alone. :xf:

Hi Srod, still no news for me either- so I am either rejected and or wait listed. I called yesterday to see if all rejections had been sent and was told they would be sent out by next week. It was my hope that they had been which would mean I still had a chance. I didn't ask by my name specifically as I can only imagine they are being overwhelmed with phone calls. I am trying my best to be patient but it is so hard. So, you are not alone. :xf:
Thank you Bellona for the update! I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us. ;)

Although a couple of people have posted here that they heard the program discourages students from working, when I went to the Dallas info session in September, Dr. Pickens actually said that the majority - I think she said 80% - of the current MOT students in Dallas are employed in some capacity, however you cannot work full-time during the program. Two students I talked with confirmed that most students have some sort of job with flexible hours like nanny, admin, even part-time therapy tech. I personally am self-employed and will continue to work as I have time during the program. Thankfully it's flexible!

Last edited:
Although a couple of people have posted here that they heard the program discourages students from working, when I went to the Dallas info session in September, Dr. Pickens actually said that the majority - I think she said 80% - of the current MOT students in Dallas are employed in some capacity, however you cannot work full-time during the program. Two students I talked with confirmed that most students have some sort of job with flexible hours like nanny, admin, even part-time therapy tech. I personally am self-employed and will continue to work as I have time during the program. Thankfully it's flexible!
Thank you for the input on work...I am not currently working but am considering working parttime, maybe 10-15 hours a week. My experience has been that I actually do a little better in school if I have something to distract me and take my mind off a subject, even for a couple of hours!

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group. I got an interview to UTHSCSA and I just recently got accepted to TWU Houston. SO what a relief it is to be accepted. Good luck to others who are still awaiting. I'm still waiting on San Antonio give their results.

As far to give info to the quote above....I met some OTs that went to TWU and they both said that it was a M-TH type program, but you may meet on fridays for a lab or group work. That there were people that worked part time. Mostly bartending or weekend jobs. I don't plan on working full time, but I have a friend that may need a dog walker lol, so I may have a daily job of doing that for an hour or so. Also, about 70% of their classmates commuted to TWU campus.

Are any of you who got accepted to TWU Houston going to commute or rent something closer to the medical center?

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group. I got an interview to UTHSCSA and I just recently got accepted to TWU Houston. SO what a relief it is to be accepted. Good luck to others who are still awaiting. I'm still waiting on San Antonio give their results.

As far to give info to the quote above....I met some OTs that went to TWU and they both said that it was a M-TH type program, but you may meet on fridays for a lab or group work. That there were people that worked part time. Mostly bartending or weekend jobs. I don't plan on working full time, but I have a friend that may need a dog walker lol, so I may have a daily job of doing that for an hour or so. Also, about 70% of their classmates commuted to TWU campus.

Are any of you who got accepted to TWU Houston going to commute or rent something closer to the medical center?
Hi!! I'm the same, got accepted to TWU and had an interview with UTHSCSA. Although uthscsa seemed nice, I'm glad I got into TWU. I would like to work, but maybe not the first semester just to get used to it. Luckily I have relatives I can stay with in Houston, so I won't have to worry about rent. See you soon!! :highfive:

Thank you for the input on work...I am not currently working but am considering working parttime, maybe 10-15 hours a week. My experience has been that I actually do a little better in school if I have something to distract me and take my mind off a subject, even for a couple of hours!
I agree, I focus more if I'm under pressure, but I don't think I'll work the first semester though. I look forward to meeting everyone!!

My good friend who was in a Speech therapy masters program also said that most of her friends held a part time job- also mostly babysitting. She babysat through the program. Moms would contact the school to be connected with students.

So I wonder if TWU has the same? She said it was the perfect match cause you could take the hours when you need it and skip when you were bogged down.

I live out in the 1960/willowbrook area and have considered renting something closer...not sure yet. If not, it would be great to carpool with some others from that area.....

Does anyone know approximately when they hold new student orientation?