General Admissions & OTCAS TWU Denton/Dallas/Houston Mot Applicants Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By chance has anyone emailed or called to find out possible dates we should expect to get decisions. If not, I'll email next week. Last year, people were calling up there left and right. Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
By chance has anyone emailed or called to find out possible dates we should expect to get decisions. If not, I'll email next week. Last year, people were calling up there left and right. Lol
No. I was probably going to wait two weeks from the deadline to get a more accurate assessment of the timeline :) kinda give them time to sift through our applications! But if you do email let us know!

As far as TWU goes, I am avoiding obsessively checking webadvisor like I did last year- I found that it stressed me out so much more. They expected last year to contact us about acceptance by thanksgiving, and were very accurate considering the ice and snow storm we had which pushed the notifications back a few days. I remember they notified everyone in one or two days in the first week of December if they were accepted or waitlisted. At that point, if you heard nothing, denial was most likely.

To save everyone some sanity, I suggest only checking up on TWU around thanksgiving. And by email. I remember mine from Lawana about the waitlist went to my junk email so be sure to check that too starting then!
Otherwise, unless they really hone the process since last year, I'd save yourself the stress and check up around thanksgiving :)... Good luck to everyone again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I was thinking as Denton
Applicant. It had been a month already. Last year I did Dallas. I didn't bother to call and check because tons of others were doing so already and readily posting it on here. I figure I'll only email Lawana once as not to get on her nerves. Lol

And I totally agree on the Webadvisor checking. It doesn't update there until way later after you have found out via email. Although I sometimes still can't help but check occasionally.

Last edited:
Btw we have made it to a 2nd page on here. Slow start but it looks like others are coming out of hiding! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, I was thinking as Denton
Applicant. It had been a month already. Last year I did Dallas. I didn't bother to call and check because tons of others were doing so already and readily posting it on here. I figure I'll only email Lawana once as not to get on her nerves. Lol

And I totally agree on the Webadvisor checking. It doesn't update there until way later after you have found out via email. Although I sometimes still can't help but check occasionally.

I forget y'all are much closer to finding out. especially good luck to you as a fellow second year applicant! It's such a stressful process, I hope we get the chance to work towards a career we're willing to pursue for 2 years if not more!

Okay, I've been reading this board for the last two application cycles and now for this one. Guess I'll share my experience. :) This is my 3rd time applying to TWU. I was also rejected twice from UTMB and chose not to apply there again this time. Basically, my cumulative GPA is HORRIBLE. It's barely a 3.0, and the reason is because I have F's on my transcript from 2002 from classes I failed to withdraw from. I have no real excuse except that I was young, not ready for college and not well informed about the consequences of these things. Anyway, I managed to pull it together for my last 60 and my pre-requisites...but this obviously leaves me limited to where I should apply for school, especially if they go by overall GPA- like UTMB who cited my overall GPA as the reason I was not considered for admission the last 2 times. Hard pill to swallow, especially when these grades are 13 years old, but that is life.

When I first applied to TWU, I was still taking my second anatomy course and had only done about 60 observation hours at a pediatric clinic but had recently been hired as a tech there. I will admit my experience was quite minimal. I didn't even get an interview (this was for Fall 2013 entry, the last cycle they did interviews for). During the year after getting rejected the 1st time, I continued working at the pediatric clinic and finishing my second Anatomy course. I also took Biomechanics in the spring of that year because it is required by UTMB and many other programs. When I applied the 2nd time (last fall), I got rejected again. Both times I applied with Houston as my first choice and Dallas as my second choice. I was (and kinda still am) heartbroken. BUT I was (and still am) determined.

So, I moved from Austin to Houston in October of last year to be closer to the school and to try to get some more experience in the area. When I first got here, I landed a job as a rehab coordinator/tech at a Skilled Nursing Facility with the geriatric population. I wasn't making enough money there, so I got lucky and also got a weekend rehab tech job at Methodist Hospital in The Medical Center. I worked 7 days a week from the beginning of November until the end of February when I left my job at the nursing home and started looking for a weekday PRN tech job to supplement my income, as I learned I can make so much more money as a PRN employee and not have to work every single day. Did a brief PRN gig with Healthsouth until Methodist trained me on the acute rehab unit and has since been giving me full-time hours. So now I just work at Methodist and have been here since November 2013. But what I have really gained during this year is priceless knowledge and experience in the field. I would say at this point, from total tech experience, I probably now have at least 2500-3000 observation/work hours, and many of those come from a hospital that happens to be just a couple of blocks away from the TWU Houston campus- I pass it everyday on my way into work. I am hoping what I have done this year will help me now that I am applying for the third time. I can't get my hopes up too much because I have already been let down twice, but I have worked my butt off, and I really would like for it to pay off this time around. I won't give up if it doesn't, but it would mean everything to me to be accepted.

So, now that you've heard the shortened version, which is still somehow this long, here are my stats:

BA in Psychology
Last 60 GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.84
Observation/Work Hours: 2500+
Worked in pediatrics and geriatrics as well as general adult populations

I wish you all the best of luck. I'm shaking in my boots...again. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I forget y'all are much closer to finding out. especially good luck to you as a fellow second year applicant! It's such a stressful process, I hope we get the chance to work towards a career we're willing to pursue for 2 years if not more!
I agree. I'll admit though this time has not been as stressful for me as last time even with the possibility of disappointment. Not yet, anyways. I guess bc I realize I will survive a setback and I was able to have application carry over. No worrying about missing docs and such. I realize there is nothing more to do than wait and read recent forum threads. Lol

Okay, I've been reading this board for the last two application cycles and now for this one. Guess I'll share my experience. :) This is my 3rd time applying to TWU. I was also rejected twice from UTMB and chose not to apply there again this time. Basically, my cumulative GPA is HORRIBLE. It's barely a 3.0, and the reason is because I have F's on my transcript from 2002 from classes I failed to withdraw from. I have no real excuse except that I was young, not ready for college and not well informed about the consequences of these things. Anyway, I managed to pull it together for my last 60 and my pre-requisites...but this obviously leaves me limited to where I should apply for school, especially if they go by overall GPA- like UTMB who cited my overall GPA as the reason I was not considered for admission the last 2 times. Hard pill to swallow, especially when these grades are 13 years old, but that is life.

When I first applied to TWU, I was still taking my second anatomy course and had only done about 60 observation hours at a pediatric clinic but had recently been hired as a tech there. I will admit my experience was quite minimal. I didn't even get an interview (this was for Fall 2013 entry, the last cycle they did interviews for). During the year after getting rejected the 1st time, I continued working at the pediatric clinic and finishing my second Anatomy course. I also took Biomechanics in the spring of that year because it is required by UTMB and many other programs. When I applied the 2nd time (last fall), I got rejected again. Both times I applied with Houston as my first choice and Dallas as my second choice. I was (and kinda still am) heartbroken. BUT I was (and still am) determined.

So, I moved from Austin to Houston in October of last year to be closer to the school and to try to get some more experience in the area. When I first got here, I landed a job as a rehab coordinator/tech at a Skilled Nursing Facility with the geriatric population. I wasn't making enough money there, so I got lucky and also got a weekend rehab tech job at Methodist Hospital in The Medical Center. I worked 7 days a week from the beginning of November until the end of February when I left my job at the nursing home and started looking for a weekday PRN tech job to supplement my income, as I learned I can make so much more money as a PRN employee and not have to work every single day. Did a brief PRN gig with Healthsouth until Methodist trained me on the acute rehab unit and has since been giving me full-time hours. So now I just work at Methodist and have been here since November 2013. But what I have really gained during this year is priceless knowledge and experience in the field. I would say at this point, from total tech experience, I probably now have at least 2500-3000 observation/work hours, and many of those come from a hospital that happens to be just a couple of blocks away from the TWU Houston campus- I pass it everyday on my way into work. I am hoping what I have done this year will help me now that I am applying for the third time. I can't get my hopes up too much because I have already been let down twice, but I have worked my butt off, and I really would like for it to pay off this time around. I won't give up if it doesn't, but it would mean everything to me to be accepted.

So, now that you've heard the shortened version, which is still somehow this long, here are my stats:

BA in Psychology

Wow! What dedication. I think your prereq GPA, last 60 hours, and experience will serve you well this round. Good luck!!

BA in Psychology

Thank you so much for sharing your journey! It is so much easier to talk about successes than our setbacks that often times we think it's just us few facing rejection.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Y

BA in Psychology

Goodness I almost feel as though I'd give you my spot if I got into TWU! Such heart, such GRIT! Good luck! Thank you for sharing your story on this thread, humility is such a beautiful thing.

So, I finally emailed about decision timelines and this is the automatic reply I received:
"I am currently processing applications and I will respond to your email as soon as I am able to do so. If you have questions about the application process please refer to our website: www.twu.edu/occupational-therapy/10081.asp. Thank you for your patience."

Hello everyone! I also put in my application to TWU for this cycle. I was wondering what everyone else has under their status in Web Advisor? My status says "Awaiting Department Review" and they received my application 9/15. Anyone else have anything different?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what it should say. :) And don't expect it to be the indicator of whether you get accepted or not. You will receive it via email or snail mail before webadvisor is updated.

Good luck!

That's what it should say. :) And don't expect it to be the indicator of whether you get accepted or not. You will receive it via email or snail mail before webadvisor is updated.

Good luck!
Awesome was just making sure! I thought maybe others had "Reviewed" or something along those lines. Thank you for the clarification! Its my first time applying..

Hello everyone! I also put in my application to TWU for this cycle. I was wondering what everyone else has under their status in Web Advisor? My status says "Awaiting Department Review" and they received my application 9/15. Anyone else have anything different?

Yep... I was even kind of worried by my lack of new 'documents' listed in the 'my documents' section. I called to check on whether my application was complete since last year all of my documents loaded. However, this year, nothing new was loaded. Lawana said that it's ok, that my application was complete. It still makes me nervous not seeing it loaded on there though!

Yep... I was even kind of worried by my lack of new 'documents' listed in the 'my documents' section. I called to check on whether my application was complete since last year all of my documents loaded. However, this year, nothing new was loaded. Lawana said that it's ok, that my application was complete. It still makes me nervous not seeing it loaded on there though!

I guess all we can do it wait and hope for the best. I just went through a whole bunch of threads from last year... in attempts at trying to get a better idea of a timeline for acceptances/interview invitations. It all seems so far away!!

Hi everyone! I've also applied for this cycle and is anxiously awaiting for any updates! Good luck everyone! Hopefully we'll hear back earlier than we expect!

Gosh, the anxiety is killing me! I hate this waiting game.. Oh and all of everyone's stats are AMAZING. I feel so sucky compared to everyone else, lol.

Hi everyone! I've also applied for this cycle and is anxiously awaiting for any updates! Good luck everyone! Hopefully we'll hear back earlier than we expect!
HI KAT! :p

does anyone know if they factor in your overall gpa or is it just your last 60?

does anyone know if they factor in your overall gpa or is it just your last 60?

From what I've been told, they don't completely disregard it. Your last 60 GPA is still much more important, though.

I realized that I forgot to post my stats...

Overall GPA: 3.5
Last 60 GPA: 3.74
Pre-req GPA: 4.0 at TWU
Observation hours: over 150 with one OT in particular during my time working as a therapy tech.

I'm really hoping to at least get higher up on the waitlist this year! so so nervous

I've yet to get a response from my email about when we might find out decision. I'm not sure if we have many Denton applicants on here but we should be finding out in a couple of weeks hopefully, based on last years timeline. o_O

I've yet to get a response from my email about when we might find out decision. I'm not sure if we have many Denton applicants on here but we should be finding out in a couple of weeks hopefully, based on last years timeline. o_O
AHHH, the wait is the worse part of this process.. Hopefully, you get into Denton!

Thanks! Yeah, I would really love the short drive to the Dallas campus. I just didn't want to risk being waitlisted and not get off it again.

Thanks! Yeah, I would really love the short drive to the Dallas campus. I just didn't want to risk being waitlisted and not get off it again.

I totally understand! At least you have a peace of mind knowing that you are guaranteed since you were a TWU student! As for me, I'd be happy to get into any campus BUT the move to Texas would be a big change because I am from California.

I totally understand! At least you have a peace of mind knowing that you are guaranteed since you were a TWU student! As for me, I'd be happy to get into any campus BUT the move to Texas would be a big change because I am from California.
I wish I did have that peace of mind but currently early entry have first consideration if stats are good enough. So, nothing guaranteed. But I think I'm in a good position though. I'm least I hope. Lol

Im hoping we find out sooner than last years applicants. I feel like they may have refined the process more seeing how it is the second year without interviews. Also, I've read many, many, many forums. Don't get to hung up on your GPA. I have seen people get in with sub par GPAs ~3.5s. I just think they were packaged correctly for what TWU was looking for to round out an entire group of those entering the program. Having a 4.0 is not the end all :) so just keep the faith. God does things on his own time, even if it is not on our time!

Reactions: 3 users
Starting to get nervous! I really wish we had some idea when we might find out. I've yet to get a response by email. And I don't have the guts to call and bother Lawana. I don't want bad karma. Lol

Starting to get nervous! I really wish we had some idea when we might find out. I've yet to get a response by email. And I don't have the guts to call and bother Lawana. I don't want bad karma. Lol
Lol, I want to email her too but I'm scared for bad news. I'd hate to anticipate the worse! Haha

Yeah. And you probably would not get reply beyond automated response. Lol

Hi everyone,
I actually just called today and was told that we should expect to receive an answer by the end of Febuary. Those who are accepted will first receive an unofficial response via e-mail followed by an official letter in the mail.

That is a lot later than usual. If you are accepted into TWU they usually let them know a week or so before the Christmas break. Is the end of February timeline (meant for those waitlisted or waiting for spot of those who may have declined admission)?

I think they are referring to the official acceptance. They said that last year but they will email unofficial notifications (recommendations) well before. Lawana just emailed me back and said for Denton it will most likely be end of December. I hope that's not the case. I was really hoping it would be same as last year. In November. :(

Yeah, I was told that applicants will be notified "by the end of February" as well.

February seems like such a long time to wait since the application deadlines were in September/October.

Gosh february really is a long time... I wonder if they thought the process was too rushed last year? Or if they are just saying february so that people don't hound them come December... Who knows. I'm sick of trying to read admission committees minds haha

Well, just to clarify.... there is a 2 part process. The school of occupational therapy emails initially if they recommended you to the graduate school. Then the graduate school gives the actual acceptance by mail. However, anyone who is recommended is generally accepted. So it is safe to say if you get the recommendation that you have been "unofficially" accepted to the program.

With that said I believe February is the approximate time when the graduate school confirms an official acceptance into the program but we should find out if we were recommended or not before then.

But we shall see... Good luck!

Hi there!

When did y'all get your webadvisor account? I thought mine would be reactivated by now (I'm a former TWU undergrad student) because tech services told me they do that once the application is in. Granted I squeaked mine in on October 14th!

Now that my question is out of the way...

Hi! First time poster here, but I've followed this forum for a year.

Here's my history:
Applied for TWU Dallas MOT 2009 admission
- Interviewed (Dec 5 2008)
- Wait-listed (notified Dec 18 2008)
- Offered Admission/Accepted offer (notified mid-March 2009)
- Summer 2009 - took Neuro A&P at Dallas Presby campus (at that time it was a prereq but could be taken during the first semester, so I took it early with other MOT students entering Fall 2009)
- Pulled out last minute from MOT program for health reasons (July 2009)​

Fast-forward 5 years, major health diagnosis/recovery later...

So excited to be healthy and applying again to TWU for 2015!
(Dallas preferred but willing to go to Houston.)

Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.68
Last 60 GPA: 3.75
Prerequisite GPA: 3.68 (updated to reflect "A" in Statistics - completed Fall 2014)

A&P prerequisites are 11 years old (But Lawana said they don't have a recommended time limit or "expiration").

I have strong recommendation letters from the OT I observed (same one in 2008 & 2014 for about 30 hours), and a PT I've worked with doing Hippotherapy for the past year.

Have worked several stints as a PT/OT Tech. Been a massage therapist for 9 years. Currently a therapeutic riding instructor for equine-assisted activity/therapy, and have been the program director for a non-profit therapeutic riding center and board member there.

We shall see what happens! Best wishes to all :)

Last edited:
Hi everybody!
This is my second year applying to OT schools, but it's my first time applying to any programs in Texas. I have applied to TWU, UTMB, and ACU (as well as a few schools out of state). I actually just interviewed at UTMB yesterday but won't hear the results for a few weeks.
I graduated in May with a bachelors in Psychology.
My overall GPA: 3.77
I'm not sure what my prereq GPA is since different schools have different prereqs, but it's probably lower than most because I made a C in anatomy which was a 5 hour course :(

I just discovered this thread yesterday and I think it's a great way to connect with others going through the same horrible waiting game!

Hello everyone!
quick question about the kines/physics class required by UTMB. Can it be any kinesiology course? Or specifically like a human movement-the four year institution I'm looking at calls it motor learning...I'm guessing that's okay?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks!

Hi there!

When did y'all get your webadvisor account? I thought mine would be reactivated by now (I'm a TWU alum) because tech services told me they do that once the application is in. Granted I squeaked mine in on October 14th!

Here's my history:
- Summer 2009 - took Neuro at Dallas Presby campus (at that time it was a prereq but could be taken during the first semester, so I took it early with all MOT students entering Fall 2009)
- Pulled out last minute from MOT program for health reasons (July 2009)

So excited to be healthy and applying again to TWU and Texas Tech for 2015!

Stats:
Prerequisite GPA: 3.6 (Statistics is in progress)

A&P prerequisites are 11 years old (But Lawana said they don't have a recommended time limit or "expiration").

I have strong recommendation letters from the OT I observed (same one in 2008 & 2014 for about 30 hours), and a PT I've worked with doing Hippotherapy for the past year.

Have worked several stints as a PT/OT Tech. Been a massage therapist for 9 years. Currently a therapeutic riding instructor for equine-assisted activity/therapy, and have been the program director for a non-profit therapeutic riding center and board member there.

My webadvisor didn't update all of my materials like it did last year... I called Lawana and emailed and they said that my application was complete. So I'm guessing maybe they're just not being as meticulous with that side of the process? Have you called to make sure they received all of your materials?

Good luck, glad you're healthy now!

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if there is a thread going somewhere for those who are also waiting on hearing something from UTMB and Texas Tech. I interviewed at UTMB and have an interview at Texas Tech this Saturday. I just wanted to see if anyone had any words of Wisdom for the Texas Tech interview. Good luck to everyone! I also applied to TWU- Houston first choice and Dallas 2nd.

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if there is a thread going somewhere for those who are also waiting on hearing something from UTMB and Texas Tech. I interviewed at UTMB and have an interview at Texas Tech this Saturday. I just wanted to see if anyone had any words of Wisdom for the Texas Tech interview. Good luck to everyone! I also applied to TWU- Houston first choice and Dallas 2nd.

Hi! Check out the thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ot-texas-schools-2015-entry.1096750/page-2

Actually, it looks like you've already posted there. Devinharris09 posted a great summary of the interview at Tech and some advice. Hope that helps!

My webadvisor didn't update all of my materials like it did last year... I called Lawana and emailed and they said that my application was complete. So I'm guessing maybe they're just not being as meticulous with that side of the process? Have you called to make sure they received all of your materials?

Good luck, glad you're healthy now!

Thank you! I was able to log in just today. They must have reactivated my account in the last couple of days. Webadvisor didn't show any of my materials for this year, other than that I applied. However, Lawana did email me and say they have received everything, so I assume it's all in order.

I'm so grateful to finally have opportunity with my health to apply again. Even though I know I'm probably not the best candidate with GPA etc, I thought I'd at least try this year :)

Hi there!

When did y'all get your webadvisor account? I thought mine would be reactivated by now (I'm a TWU alum) because tech services told me they do that once the application is in. Granted I squeaked mine in on October 14th!

Here's my history:
- Summer 2009 - took Neuro at Dallas Presby campus (at that time it was a prereq but could be taken during the first semester, so I took it early with all MOT students entering Fall 2009)
- Pulled out last minute from MOT program for health reasons (July 2009)

So excited to be healthy and applying again to TWU and Texas Tech for 2015!

Stats:
Prerequisite GPA: 3.6 (Statistics is in progress)

Wow your s
Thank you! I was able to log in just today. They must have reactivated my account in the last couple of days. Webadvisor didn't show any of my materials for this year, other than that I applied. However, Lawana did email me and say they have received everything, so I assume it's all in order.

I'm so grateful to finally have opportunity with my health to apply again. Even though I know I'm probably not the best candidate with GPA etc, I thought I'd at least try this year :)

I completely understand your concern about your stats compared to our peers, it's hard NOT to think that you are not competitive enough! I am in the same boat.. But, I do think that your stats are great and that you'll be OK. Also, glad to see that you've gotten your health back and you're ready for another try. :) This waiting game is awful though..!

Still no news from Denton campus? I hope that's not a sign that the other campuses might take until february to let us know anything at all!

Nooooo. Nothing. :( I've been busy with a new job that I've just not paid attention to the days. I was just hoping I'd be suprised with an email. So I guess we (Denton) really shouldn't expect anything until next month. And then Dallas/Houston would be a month after.

Augh, I was just going to post and ask if anyone has heard anything, it looks like nothing so far from what everyone has reported.