Twelve Cranial Nerves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBRGrl

CSU PVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone

So I'm in the midst of first year anatomy and am trying to come up with a good mnemonic for the twelve cranial nerves. Anyone have a good one? I know there are some great ones out there, now's your chance to share them!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha the only thing i remember from undergrad A&P:

Oh oh oh to touch and feel virgin girls vagina's, ahhhh heaven. :D

Actually, if you make the last five words: ooottaf Veronica's Glossy Vagina And Hymen the words are closer to the names of the nerves.

remembered something else

some say marry money but my brother says big boobs matter more.

If it starts with an M, it has motor functions, S = sensory, B = both

Hey Everyone

So I'm in the midst of first year anatomy and am trying to come up with a good mnemonic for the twelve cranial nerves. Anyone have a good one? I know there are some great ones out there, now's your chance to share them!

Anna did not tell you that one? She or Dr. Lee was the one who told me.

The one our anatomy teacher taught us:
On old Olympus' towering top a fat vicious goat violated a hat.

I just had an (undergrad) anatomy practical and knew all my nerves! My teacher told us one similar to that one:

On old Olympus towering top a Finn and* German viewed a hop.

*Of course it's not Auditory anymore it's vestibulocochlear, but remembering that those are related to auditory helped me anyway.

I think a dirty one might me more memorable, though!

yeah... try to forget that one...

we had a nice, let me say religious woman tell us this one. too funny.

a couple years later, our physiology lecturer put it on a slide. our lectures are recorded, and when someone asked him to read it, he refused. wonder why...

haha the only thing i remember from undergrad A&P:

Oh oh oh to touch and feel virgin girls vagina's, ahhhh heaven. :D

from a vegetarian- oh oh oh to taste and feel very green vegetables after harvest.

also, am I the only one confused by the old olympus towering thing? I find it easier to memorize the nerves than to recite that one! haha!

Yeah Dr. Fails gave us one in the notes but it doesnt match current nomenclature so I thought I'd go fishing for another one! :) I definately like the functions one:

A++ :)

Members don't see this ad :)
remembered something else

If it starts with an M, it has motor functions, S = sensory, B = both

The one I remembered was:

Students Seldom Manage Money But Mike Basically Saves Bucks Becauses Mikes Married

also, am I the only one confused by the old olympus towering thing? I find it easier to memorize the nerves than to recite that one! haha!

Yes, I learned to Olympus one in undergrad, and a few years ago, i actually used the cranial nerves to remember the damn mnemonic!

ahah Classic.

We also use these tricks (but instead of feel we use **** :p ), and girls say brain instead of boobs.

Actually, if you make the last five words: ooottaf Veronica's Glossy Vagina And Hymen the words are closer to the names of the nerves.

:laugh:

I have a 'friend' who knew it as "virgin girl vagina and hooters."

:banana:

The dirty ones just have so much more of a flow to them...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

ahah Classic.

We also use these tricks (but instead of feel we use **** :p ), and girls say brain instead of boobs.

We do? I use the "big boobs" version of that mnemonic.

I will NEVER forget the cranial nerves or their functions. Everything else is probably slipping away at varying rates, but that? That's in for good. :)

Off topic, but I was thinking about mnemonics and I remember this from high school:

sine cosine cosine sine cosine cosine sine sine sign!

My teacher went around the room and we all had to say it like a cheer. I can't remember what it means now, though...

Off topic, but I was thinking about mnemonics and I remember this from high school:

sine cosine cosine sine cosine cosine sine sine sign!

My teacher went around the room and we all had to say it like a cheer. I can't remember what it means now, though...

LoL

Sin(a+b)=Sina Codb + Cosa Sinb
Sin(a-b)=Sina Cosb - Cosa Sinb

Cos(a+b)=Cosa Codb - Sina Sinb
Cos(a-b)=Cosa Cosb + Sina Sinb

Remember this for the eye:

**DO4 LR6 AO3**
Dorsal Oblique - 4 (trochlear)
Lateral Rectus - 6 (Abducent)
All Others - 3 (Oculomotor)

Some others:

PAGE the OBTURATOR (P.A.G.E. are the muscles innervated by the Obturator nerve)
DTT --> AXILLARY (it rhymes - D.T.T. are the muscles innervated by the Axillary nerve)
BOST = Accessory Nerve
PZ = G (Palatine and Zygomatic salivary glands are innervated by Glossopharyngeal - also rhymes when you say it) all other salivary glands plus the lacrimal gland are Facial N.
LIMBA - these are the branches of the Mandibular nerve V3
PIMMSZ - these are the branches of the Maxillary nerve V2
IF - branches of Opthalmic V1
CAN TOM HOP - the order of the pharyngeal muscles: Crico, Thyro and Hyo. Also remember Crico is Caudal (both begin with "C")

Helped me immensely on my dog anatomy final today!

Remember this for the eye:

**DO4 LR6 AO3**
Dorsal Oblique - 4 (trochlear)
Lateral Rectus - 6 (Abducent)
All Others - 3 (Oculomotor)

VI also innervates the retractor bulbi.

I remember "sine sine cosine sine! 3.14159!"
That was from 3rd Rock from the Sun. :)
Then there's this one (modify as needed to rhyme with school name):
e^x dx dy, e^x dx. secant, cosine, tangent, sine, 3.14159. PI! PI! Radical Mu! Beat 'em, Beat 'em MTU!

Yes, I'm a nerd. I didn't remember the exact sequence, so I googled it.

The one I remembered was:

Students Seldom Manage Money But Mike Basically Saves Bucks Becauses Mikes Married
This one obviously not written by a married man. I told my wife that it's a good thing she's going to be a pharmacist because she's expensive. I cite the $50 she spends on her friend's b-day present. Guys stop getting their friends b-day presents after about age 8. :D

Oh Oh Oh topless tiffany and fat veronica got vaginitis and hepatitis

This one obviously not written by a married man. I told my wife that it's a good thing she's going to be a pharmacist because she's expensive. I cite the $50 she spends on her friend's b-day present. Guys stop getting their friends b-day presents after about age 8. :D

LOL. In my experience that is cause guys spend the money on thier own new toys! I gave up even trying to figure out gifts for my husband because if he even thinks he wants something he is likely to get it for himself.

LOL. In my experience that is cause guys spend the money on thier own new toys! I gave up even trying to figure out gifts for my husband because if he even thinks he wants something he is likely to get it for himself.
Guilty as charged. For some reason, she doesn't beleive me when I tell her it's for both of us - like more hard drives or motorcycle parts for "her" vintage BMW that she can't ride yet.

It actually is her motorcycle. She wanted a BMW with a sidecar. I wanted a '64 Triumph Bonneville. She won. She also doesn't have a license, so I have to exercise the bike every week or so. Life is full of compromises.

A more modern version of the 12 cranial nerves mnemonic:

Our
Only
Option
To
Try
And
Find
A
Guilty
Verdict
Seemed
Hopeless

Old Opie Occassionally Tries Trigonometry And Feels Very Gloomy Vague And Hypoactive

This one I learned tries to implement the first two or three letters of the nerves into the words.