Nerve plexus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airrick16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the term 'nerve plexus' used to describe joined neuron processes of motor (efferent) division only ,,,,OR is it also used to describe sensory (afferent) neurons/nerves?

If the later is true, can one plexus (nerve bundle) have sensory and motor neurons within it,,,running side by side?

Members don't see this ad.

The OP has me curious, and I don't have homework for another two weeks. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the term 'nerve plexus' used to describe joined neuron processes of motor (efferent) division only ,,,,OR is it also used to describe sensory (afferent) neurons/nerves?

If the later is true, can one plexus (nerve bundle) have sensory and motor neurons within it,,,running side by side?

I believe it is also used to describe sensory(afferent) neurons/nerves. Take the cervical plexus for example, this is the joining of several ventral branches of the spinal nerves arising from the cervical region. Ventral branches of spinal nerves supply sensory and motor to areas ventral to the transverse process of the vertebrae. Someone let me know if I am wrong/correct on this one. I looked it up quickly just to double check, but I could have misunderstood.

I was so curious that I posted your question on VIN and this is what I got back

First a few definitions so we're all on the same page.

"Never fibers" usually refers to axons, which are long processes from a single neuron. Axons in peripheral nerves are usually either affernt (conduct toward the CNS) or efferenct (conduct away from the CNS) but not both.

Peripheral nerves are composed of a bunch of axons surrounded by connnective tissue. Most nerves contain both afferent and efferent fibers.

A nerve plexus is an anatomic groupd of nerves in which the axons of the differnt nerves intermingle. This will typically contain nerves that have both afferent and efferent axons.

I hope this answers your question but if not, please let us know.

[Name withheld for privacy]
Dipl.ACVIM(Neurology)

Dont know if that answers your question, but I tried. :shrug:

I know that this has been discussed here before, but to reiterate - posting anything from VIN on any other posting board is a violation of the VIN TOS. There is a lot of concern in the VIN community about things being quoted out of context (and there have been several message threads on VIN about that), as well as confidentiality issues. To my knowledge, the TOS restrictions cover anything from message boards, case files, reference sections, etc.

If any of the above has changed, please correct me . . . :)

Re: VIN, it has recently been discussed on a current thread over there that if you remove the poster's name, then you can share the content. Surprising to me and not sure if it only applies to sharing within a clinic/hospital or what, but that's what they say.

wow. thanks for the clarification/update - i find that surprising as well, in light of recent issues, but there you have it. :)