Tulane waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MErc44

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the waitlist works at Tulane? I interviewed there at the beginning of October and was waitlisted 10 days later. It was a slap in the face especially since they don't rank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey- First time caller, long time listener...

I had the same experience. Apparently, they claim it isn't a "waitlist" per say, but that they only accept the occasional student right off the bat and rereview most peoples. It's not a waitlist in that it's not ranked and that you could be accepted at any time; when I was there, I was waiting for an interview in a room that had a crapload of files of acceptances and rejections from the previous year that were sent out, like, every 3 days to groups of students (the dates were on the folders, and no I wasn't snooping, they were in plain view :) ). So I think there way of doing things is strange.

Anyone who's interviewed there, I can't remember the guy's name, but did you have the CRAZY old, tall doctor who swore a lot and would interupt you 4 words into your reponses to questions as one of your interviewers? The first thing he said to me was "They got me getting out of bed so g**d*** early to interview you kids."

Originally posted by longlakeboy
Anyone who's interviewed there, I can't remember the guy's name, but did you have the CRAZY old, tall doctor who swore a lot and would interupt you 4 words into your reponses to questions as one of your interviewers? The first thing he said to me was "They got me getting out of bed so g**d*** early to interview you kids."

I interviewed there early October, and I think I had the same guy. For some reason, he kept calling me Higgins. It was by far the easiest interview I've had so far because he did all the talking for me. But I'm on that alternate list too. Kinda don't get how they work either. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Their waitlist is geared toward letting in those applicants who most want to go there. So if you're on it, it means you had a good application, and a good interview, and they're willing to admit you, if you really want to go there and they have a spot open at the end of the year.

So go to the rest of your interviews and see how those turn out, and whether you like those schools better. If Tulane still ends up your favorite, then keep sending periodic updates. One for the whole fall semester, and then every month or so in the spring. As the day approaches when people have to commit to one acceptance at a time, send updates more frequently--every week or so if you actually have something to say, and maybe call or visit again. A large number of people in my class got in this way, and as far as I know, none of us EVER got the sense that we were annoying the admissions staff with too many calls and letters.

The bottom line: Tulane likes students who like them.

However, please don't do this unless you really do want to go there, because there's nothing worse than having people in your class who don't actually like the school and were just "playing the game" to get in somewhere.

That tall guy's name is Dr. Akers. I remember his name because he gave me the best interview I have EVER had.

His attitude about everything sold me on Tulane. I definitely want to go there next fall.

Yeah, that was his name. Really funny man. How'd you fare at Tulane, exgatr?

Does most everyone who has interviewed at Tulane have really high MCATs? (above 30?) I really want to visit & interview there, but I have not heard back from them yet. (LA resident). Hmm.

i got a 30 and im in....:clap:

Hey everyone

I was wondering for those who have been interviewed or rejected post secondary how long did it take for you all to hear something? I dont mean to upset people if they were rejected but its been a while and i havent heard anything either way so I was just wondering what that could mean thanks!

Bbawco1,

I got a 29 and have a 3.84 GPA w/ quite a bit of EC and currently researching. (LA resident as well). Do you think I will get an interview?

I got in, it was my first acceptance.

I got my 10/8 interview invite letter on 9/11. I know my LOR packet was sent to them on 8/18, so I was probably complete late August. And then I got the acceptance range letter on 10/18.

I sent my secondary in on 8/15 and received the invite for an interview on 9/9 . I was probably complete at the end of August. I got put in acceptable range on the 17 of october and my interview was on the 9th. I have a 33 and 3.23 but I have reasons for my GPA being low. I also got a 4.0 last year and started doing cancer research at a lab at my school. I volunteered in a hospital and at a local clinic. There is hope.

With the quick turnaround time I'm seeing between interview and waitlist notification, I wonder if admissions has already sealed your fate before the actual interview?

Also, any word on how full the class is yet?

boom- absolutely, positively not. In fact, the interview is of vital, vital importance to getting in here.

millie,
I have around the same gpa and mcat so based on that I would say why not; however, you have to remember how random the process is. Last year there was less than 4 people accepted from LSU (where I am right now) so I really don't think that they give LA residency much importance. The reason that they do have quite a few LA residents is b/c of their early acceptance programs where the kids from Loyola, Tulane, Xavier know that they are in early in their undergrad education. I also had quite a few good EC's and really good LOR's, but of course the moral of the process is nothing is for sure.
Good Luck though...