Tulane Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in New Orleans right now. I'm using this long weekend to get to know the city and find a good place to live. I was pretty impressed with the area just south of the city park off of Esplanade St., but it looks pretty pricey. Metarie seem like a nice area as well. Does anybody else know of any other places I should look? It may seem a little early, but I'm planning to travel all summer and won't be back in time to search for places to live so I'm doing it now. So, any suggestions would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey just curious anyone here willing to share an apartment if you do decide to go to Tulane?

I'm in New Orleans right now. I'm using this long weekend to get to know the city and find a good place to live. I was pretty impressed with the area just south of the city park off of Esplanade St., but it looks pretty pricey. Metarie seem like a nice area as well. Does anybody else know of any other places I should look? It may seem a little early, but I'm planning to travel all summer and won't be back in time to search for places to live so I'm doing it now. So, any suggestions would be great.

Have you checked out the Garden District/Uptown areas yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the Dean's Letter work?

Does the Dean really write a letter of rec for EVERY student? That sounds like a pain in the ass. Is it just a brief synopsis?

Have you checked out the Garden District/Uptown areas yet?
Thank's for your suggestion. I checked those areas out yesterday, they seem really nice. From what I have experienced here it seems like there are no "good" or "bad" neighborhoods. One block looks really nice and then you drive a little ways down the street and it doesn't look so nice anymore. I guess once you find a good listing you really have to make sure to check it out.

Hey just curious anyone here willing to share an apartment if you do decide to go to Tulane?

Sorry, I just got married. Otherwise I would be looking for somebody to room with as well. You should check out the housing forum on the Tulane medical school website, I think I saw some "looking for roommate" posts on there.

The atmosphere here during and after the Saints game was awsome! A guy I saw on the street said it best: "It was just like Mardi Gras I saw about 50 people sleeping on the "cee-ment" when I was wallking home this morining". I have never seen that many Reggie Bush Jerseys in one place before.

I love the colts and have always rooted for them to win every year, but g*damn how can i not want the saints to win. GO SAINTS! America's Cinderella Team. If im not mistake the superdome is literally right across the street right.

I love the colts and have always rooted for them to win every year, but g*damn how can i not want the saints to win. GO SAINTS! America's Cinderella Team. If im not mistake the superdome is literally right across the street right.

I know how you feel. I grew up in Chicago and have always been a Bears fan. Although I still want the Bears to win I won't feel bad if the Saints win, the city definately deserves it. If they do make it past the Bears I'll be rooting for them in the superbowl.

Hey GA, have u decided if you'll be going to Tulane or Toledo?

Not yet, but I'm taking a trip out to Toledo this weekend. I'll probably make a final decision sometime next week. I feel like Tulane is either going to be incredible ( Great student body, Lots of things to do, an opportunity to help rebuild) or its going to fall short of expectations due to the effects of the hurricane ( lots of faculty are gone, hospitals closed own etc.). Toledo, on the other hand, is a safer bet ( I know I'll get a good education there, it not as expensive, and its safe). I'm leaning towrds Tulane though if feel like if I pass it up I'll regret it later. I guess I'll have a better idea after this weekend. How about you, would you passed up Tulane if you got an offer elsewhere?

I have an interview next month with EVMS. Even though it is cheaper, I probably wouldn't go there unless there is a decent financial aid package. Im leaning towards Tulane all the way- every student Ive met and all the students who have been accepted are all amazing- even if facilities and faculty fall short, Im more then certain that the student family would make up for that. I also have a soft spot for Tulane, they accepted me so early and were the first ones to show interest- Im usually pretty loyal to things like that lol (thats what happened with my UC SMP- first to respond and accept). Toledo is nice too, I live in Ohio, and Im used to the seasons here, but itd just be damn nice to live in NO weather :) Well anyways when you make your decision, and if its Tulane, we're heading out to a bar with a few other SDNers

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone! Just found out yesterday i'm in tulane too...and i'm definitely going there. where is everyone from btw?

I graduated from Tulane SOM. It's a very special place to go for med school. Even though we went through a hurricane, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else for medical school. Camraderie is sooo strong among students and you really feel like party of a family. Competition between students is really frowned upon. Makes those four years just fly by! I can honestly say that I actually enjoyed going to medical school. Work hard, play hard environment. Very very very special place. Good luck and congrats to all going to Tulane!!!!!!!

Congrats ttjan! where are you looking at for residency and in what specialty?
I believe this has already been answered but is there a second look weekend? And also, how much help has Tulane been with financial aid?

Also, how much did you guys have to borrow (including living+spending costs) oh...and is anyone planning to go to look for apts? Maybe we can all schedule a rendezvous. :)

I"m going into family medicine. I'm only applying in California since that's where I'm from.

I have no idea about a second look--but I'm sure if you contact the Office of Admission, they can let you know. They're super helpful.

Yes, Tulane was great with financial aid. The city has a very low cost of living, so rent's damn cheap. I bought almost all of my books from students in the classes above me. My cost of living was very low for how much fun I had in New Orleans. The med school has on campus housing, which is actually expensive. It's much cheaper (and funner) to live Uptown, which is still only 5 minutes to the health sciences campus. Hope this helps!

well, i've refrained from posting here, as i'm still undecided about tulane. i loved the student body and my interviewers and felt that the atmosphere at tulane would be a great fit for me. however, i'm hesitant about whether new orleans would be as good a fit for me. i feel like the city could totally have its post-katrina revival and be stronger than ever or could just sink into oblivion. i know that the current situation affords a lot of opportunities as a med student, but i'm worried about actually living within them for 4 years. anybody feeling similar concerns, or any current students that can alleviate these concerns for me?

it doesn't help that i was only in the city for a brief period of time when i interviewed and didn't get an opportunity to explore, so only saw the immediate surroundings of the med school. i'm planning on heading down in april to get a better feel for the city...

i've been following this thread since i got accepted to tulane about a month ago. the info about housing has been particularly helpful, as i peruse craigslist daily. :)

braluk,

I believe a T1 was on the thread earlier and said there was no second look day but the staff could arrange for anything you wanted to see.

cali,

Congrats on your acceptance. Let me say the only Tulane-acceptees not feeling exactly what you feel are local New Orleans applicants (for the most part). We LOVE the students and the camraderie, its something that seems to be of primary importance to all Tulane students. On the other hand, most of us are scared shiitless of the crime, failed city leadership (I apologize in advance for offending anyone), and overall New Orleans post-Katrina blight (there is a silver lining with this last complaint b/c I think we will get to do some pretty cool stuff in this environment).

I have a number of acceptances and Tulane is at the top of my list b/c of the students. It is so important to me that the next 4 years of my life be spent with non-gunner, laid back, down-to-earth ppl. I immediately felt at home on my interview. Students were going WAY out of their way to come talk to us. Its not a front either, its just who they are.

Back to the pessimistic side, 2007 New Orleans, per-capita, is more dangerous than any previous timeframe in Compton. More ppl were murdered in New Orleans than Iraq in the first week of 2007. My general take on this is that we are all going to be together though so much during our 4 years. I don't have any friends or family in NO so if I attend Tulane I am going to be going out almost all the time with my classmates. This is a strength in numbers mindset I guess. Most of what I have seen lately is the murders have been drug-related so its one of those things where you don't put yourself in compromising situations and you will dramatically decrease your chance of becoming a victim in any sense of the word.

<back to the positives>

Also have you had a chance to look at Tulane's match list? The 2005 list looks amazing and the 2006 list is impressive as well. Someone on this thread said that the admissions staff believes Tulane grads over the next few years will be some of the most sought after for residencies b/c of post-Katrina (admittedly biased).

Finally I like what the school is doing with the move to 1555 Poydras. It is clear they want to get over there ASAP. I think at the least we will be over there for our 2nd year.

With ALL that said <wipes brow> I still don't know what my final decision will be...but I do know where I am leaning.

Best of luck...

2007 New Orleans, per-capita, is more dangerous than any previous timeframe in Compton. More ppl were murdered in New Orleans than Iraq in the first week of 2007. My general take on this is that we are all going to be together though so much during our 4 years. I don't have any friends or family in NO so if I attend Tulane I am going to be going out almost all the time with my classmates. This is a strength in numbers mindset I guess. Most of what I have seen lately is the murders have been drug-related so its one of those things where you don't put yourself in compromising situations and you will dramatically decrease your chance of becoming a victim in any sense of the word.

I'm really looking forward to using my stethoscope one day and my gat the next.

Lol i can imagine you only using your gat if your writing out illegal prescriptions and dealing on the side while in Tulane :laugh:

On another note, for current Tulane students or perhaps those in the know, how has crime affected the students? Has anyone been held at gunpoint? knifepoint? robbed? even injured or infinitely worse, killed?

Also, are there are any scholarships that are offered at Tulane?

Also, are there are any scholarships that are offered at Tulane?

Yes. In the past, students were notified when they got their acceptance letter if they also received a scholarship. Not sure if this has changed or not.

I have an interview next month with EVMS. Even though it is cheaper, I probably wouldn't go there unless there is a decent financial aid package. Im leaning towards Tulane all the way- every student Ive met and all the students who have been accepted are all amazing- even if facilities and faculty fall short, Im more then certain that the student family would make up for that. I also have a soft spot for Tulane, they accepted me so early and were the first ones to show interest- Im usually pretty loyal to things like that lol (thats what happened with my UC SMP- first to respond and accept). Toledo is nice too, I live in Ohio, and Im used to the seasons here, but itd just be damn nice to live in NO weather :) Well anyways when you make your decision, and if its Tulane, we're heading out to a bar with a few other SDNers

It's settled I'm going to Tulane. I'm sending in my deposit tomorow. You are right, the students at Tulane were by far the nicest I met on the interview trail, and the school just felt right to me. See you in NO, it's going to an experience unlike any other in the country.

NICE DUDE!! Im pretty certain that Ill be heading to Tulane soon sometime as well. When are you going to go down and explore a little more for apartments? What made you make your decision today?

Anyways we should get a bunch of SDNers togetehr and head out to a bar :)

holden,

i couldn't have asked for a more thoughtful, genuine response. it's your sort of attitude that allows tulane to remain a serious consideration in my book. the truth is that it's the school i felt most at home so far also. no doubt about that. but i still have to weigh out the other aspects of my life for the next 4 years. can this little northeast girl handle new orleans? jury's still out.

but it's nice to know that if i do, i'll be in the presence of people like you. you seem to be a true representation of exactly what tulane is looking for. good luck to you too.

Congrats on your acceptance. Let me say the only Tulane-acceptees not feeling exactly what you feel are local New Orleans applicants (for the most part). We LOVE the students and the camraderie, its something that seems to be of primary importance to all Tulane students. On the other hand, most of us are scared shiitless of the crime, failed city leadership (I apologize in advance for offending anyone), and overall New Orleans post-Katrina blight (there is a silver lining with this last complaint b/c I think we will get to do some pretty cool stuff in this environment).

I have to be honest with you, I am actually Dr. Beckman. I hope you decide to attend our school.

Best wishes!

near princeton?

this year i'm living in california for americorps though. and last year i was living in nyc for a job at weill medical college (even though i never wanted to apply there... too many gunners :p ) i haven't "lived" in jersey since high school.

NICE DUDE!! Im pretty certain that Ill be heading to Tulane soon sometime as well. When are you going to go down and explore a little more for apartments? What made you make your decision today?

Anyways we should get a bunch of SDNers togetehr and head out to a bar :)

Just got back from Toledo, and although it's a good school, it just didn't feel like it was the right place for me. I feel bad sending them a "rejection" letter, they were nice enough to accept me, and if I didn't get into Tulane I would be there in a heartbeat.

I should be back in NO in early April to check some places out. I have my eye on this complex called Forest Isle apartments across the river. Since I'll be away all summer and don't plan on moving in until August this might be the best option, but I'll keep my eye on craig's list to see if anything pops up.

We should definately all get together and have a couple drinks. I should be in NO for good on Aug 1st.

Awesome, yea I wont be there until early-mid august seeing that my program here doesn't end until then. Im still torn a little between goin to deming or going to a diff area (uptown or whatever other places you might recommend). Are you bringing a car with you?

Hey y'all I'm at LSU down the street but very familiar with tulane (did undergrad there and worked for the medschool for two years as a clinical research assistant before medschool). I just wanted to let you know that the current murder spree in new orleans is a bit scary, and certainly needs to be dealt with, but its not something I walk around scared about on a daily basis. The only change in my behavior is that I don't leave the front door open for fresh air and I don't chill on my front porch when I'm home by myself without my hubby which I used to do. Most of the crime is still confined to certain circles of people and certain areas of the city that are easy to avoid as a medstudent. The only area that seems to have a very altered safety status since Katrina is the Marigny which has had a very high crime rate this year and used to be a pretty classy place to live. I live off Esplanade near city park and the fairgrounds and it is a beautiful neighborhood with nice neighbors and is close to everything in the city. It is easy to get both uptown and to the french quarter, to the highway to go to the burbs and the neighborhood itself has nice eateries etc. I lived uptown for undergrad and it is beautiful up there too, probably with more young people because of the college scene. The rent in the city is still cheap, even after the katrina rent hike, and you can still find some landlords who have kept pre-katrina rates if you hunt around. My place is a 2br with cable and high speed included for 1100/mo, its a bit over the top as far as how nice it is and you could probably find something for cheeper if you were willing to give up some architectural details. 1 bedrooms are a bit hard to find and not a whole lot cheeper so trying to find roomates is a good idea if possible. Hope this helps :luck:

PS: After seeing the above post . .. please dear lord bring your car with you if you are moving to New Orleans!!! Makin groceries is not easy to do without one, there are things that can only be found in the burbs (i.e. barnes and noble, a decent mall, movie theaters, target .. . ), and in your 4 years you will probably evacuate a few times (not saying that Katrina will happen again, but there are always some close calls and the city is planning on evacuating for much smaller storms than ever before, last season they were going to evacuate for Category 2s because the pumps on the levees aren't up to snuff yet). I lived all 4 undergrad years with no car and would never wish upon anyone the stress of an evacuation where you are depending on others to get you out of the city, it makes it so much more stressful than it needs to be.

Hey Psipina, i specifically remember you because I had talked about, in preallo, how I would never sign a prenup given that my significant other had busted her ass along with mine for the next 10 or so years, and would be a terrible thing to ask her to sign one, and you agreed with me lol.

Anyhow, thanks for the informative post, I guess this means I should be looking for a car. It looks like I'll have to purchase it there then.

Awesome, yea I wont be there until early-mid august seeing that my program here doesn't end until then. Im still torn a little between goin to deming or going to a diff area (uptown or whatever other places you might recommend). Are you bringing a car with you?

Yeah I'm definately bringing a car. Prispina is right there are not alot of grocery stores around. The city seems pretty spread out.

I just got this comment on my medapps profile:

be very wary about tulane and their facade. they just lost their accreditation for their entire general surgery program and they closed down all the affiliated surgery sites too. the NICU is about to get shut down, and who knows which senior administrator is bound to leave next. and don't pick a school just because the students seem friendly and chill, that's your first mistake.

Is there any truth to this?

Thats funny, i got a very similar comment too

be very wary about tulane, considering they just lost the accreditation for their entire general surgery program. the NICU is about to be shut down too, and who knows which senior administrator will leave next. apparently their first year class is incredibly obnoxious and problematic, some of the worst students they've had in years. you've been warned.

Personally im not worried.

Hey Psipina, i specifically remember you because I had talked about, in preallo, how I would never sign a prenup given that my significant other had busted her ass along with mine for the next 10 or so years, and would be a terrible thing to ask her to sign one, and you agreed with me lol.

See, people at tulane are just cool, even if we're from the undergrad program :D

As to the smack talking about tulane, it seems just like all the smack thats getting said about the city in general. The city is struggling including the entire healthcare infrastructure, yes there is a chance that things will go horribly awry and things will get worse, but there is an equal chance that things will get better. If you love the city enuf you are willing to take that risk, some people don't and thats fine too, but I think this city is unique and great in so many ways that we shouldn't just give up on it.

I can't speak about surgery programs (although I feel like we would have heard about this if it was true), but the med school itself is definitely still accredited. The LCME came in the fall to check on us after resettling in NO, and Tulane passed with flying colors and is still accredited for the full 7 years, no provisional status or anything. Father Don told me this directly, so I believe it. If you do have questions about things like this, I would email him - he's very honest and would probably be happy to relieve your concerns.

As far as the T1s being annoying...I'm biased because I am one. But I strongly disagree...we're amazing. :)

Every T1 class I've ever heard discussed (including my own) has been the most annoying T1 class in the history of the school. When the class of 2011 arrives, you all will suddenly be the cool kids.

Dr. Beckman emailed me back about Second look- they do not have one. She just apparently came back from Antarctica :confused: lol, quite a random place to go if you ask me lol

Anyone get a scholarship attached to their acceptance letter?

Forgive me for being jealous and curious at the same time.

Anyone get a scholarship attached to their acceptance letter?

Forgive me for being jealous and curious at the same time.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say I got a "scholarship" with my acceptence letter, but what I did recieve were some naked polaroids of some guy named Dr. Vigh. At first I was a little scared and confused, but now I wouldn't trade them for a full ride!!

Well, I wouldn't exactly say I got a "scholarship" with my acceptence letter, but what I did recieve were some naked polaroids of some guy named Dr. Vigh. At first I was a little scared and confused, but now I wouldn't trade them for a full ride!!

Lucky! I got ones of some Jeter guy? Wanna trade?

Not in a million years. But seriously for all you upcoming first years, I wouldn't worry about a scholarship, we just got a pack-man arcade game in our student lounge, and not to mention I hear Rebectar is pretty "friendly" to all the new male students.

Hm.. interesting. I got an audio tape recording of Jeter congratulating me. I was so determined to come to Tulane because of it. I wouldn't trade mine, either.

Not in a million years. But seriously for all you upcoming first years, I wouldn't worry about a scholarship, we just got a pack-man arcade game in our student lounge, and not to mention I hear Rebectar is pretty "friendly" to all the new male students.

What?! How could you do that Bectar?! I thought we have something special going on! You have my ring.......

this is so becoming a TU Class of 2010 thread.

Ohhh, that's who you are. Hi dear. :)

Ignore whatever Kai98375934 says...he's jealous because my undying hero worship is aimed at the great Julius Levy, the pimpingest surgeon to ever pace the 3rd floor halls.

And we're just showing the 2011 people how much fun Tulane is. I mean, if it sucked would I be posting on here an hour before our neuro test? Speaking of which, what am I doing? Bye.