Tulane Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im actually seriously considering living in Deming's. My gf won't be moving in with me until probably my rotations start, and living so close to the campus definitely kills off the expenses I'll need to be spending, on things like having a car/gas, furniture, utilities, air conditioning, etc.. etc.. I honestly don't mind living in a dorm type situation, having been in both, its actually seeems less of a hassle, i honestly can live anywhere and have no problem with it unless its in a ghetto or something. It also seems like a good way to get to know a few med students alot better. Suggestions? whats the rent like?

I lived in Deming and thought it was fine. While it is dorm-like because students live there, it isn't loud and smelly like a college dorm. It's more like an apartment building. Families of patients at Tulane Hospital are also given rooms there. But you should know, there is not a grocery store within walking distance. So you will either need a car or a friend with a car to make groceries. I'm not sure what the rent is like now; you should check the website to see if they have prices listed, or just email them.

Members don't see this ad.

Im actually seriously considering living in Deming's. My gf won't be moving in with me until probably my rotations start, and living so close to the campus definitely kills off the expenses I'll need to be spending, on things like having a car/gas, furniture, utilities, air conditioning, etc.. etc.. I honestly don't mind living in a dorm type situation, having been in both, its actually seeems less of a hassle, i honestly can live anywhere and have no problem with it unless its in a ghetto or something. It also seems like a good way to get to know a few med students alot better. Suggestions? whats the rent like?

I'm considering moving in to Deming as well, but it seems like a lot of people dont dig it so much. Whats the problem with this place? Braluk mentioned a few pros to living there, so what are the actual cons?

Also, If I didn't live in Deming I think I would get a place in uptown. Any advice on average rent in this area and what type of place I should be getting for my money? Also, are there any places I should definitely avoid living that are near the undergrad campus or the med school (i.e not safe)?
Oh yea, how early do people start looking for a place around tulane? Some cities (mostly college towns) you gotta start looking like 8 months in advance. is this the case in new orleans and around the university? I'm from chicago and we usually look for a place ~ 2 months in advance.

any other advice about new orleans would be appreciated.

Im guessing that the main problem is, that for the type of money that you're spending on rent there, you could probably find something better at an equivalent rent. Thing is, I think by living so closely, it would cut down on expenses big time. I also wouldn't mind being in that "college-type" dorm room situation like freshmen year of college- it would be a big upside to getting used to having fellow students around me. Right now, I live in a really nice apartment with two of my classmates, and though the situation is nice, and I wouldn't have it any other way, it's alot different than living in a dorm- that is, I'll probably be more excited to start off the year by living with fellow students than not. I also think that it would probably help me focus studying, just an intuition though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal opinions -

If you're coming from a dorm type situation and don't mind it, you probably wouldn't mind deming - positives: very close to school (you can use the bridges), close to other classmates (lots of first years live there). That's all I can think of, I wouldn't live in Deming but I'm used to living on my own. Downsides: shopping options aren't close, area is a little shady.

Here's the website, there seem to be some other options for grad students: http://housing.tulane.edu/arrive/opt_grad.html

As far as costs - for a one bedroom apartment uptown, it can be pretty expensive (check http://neworleans.craigslist.com) although prices have begun to come down a bit. I think choosing to share an apartment/house usually is the cheapest option, definitely cheaper than deming - you could share a two bedroom for $500-600 a month easily. A one bedroom apartment seems to be around $700-1100 whereas a two bedroom $900-1300 and up depending on the area. They were a LOT cheaper pre-Katrina and it does seem to be coming back down.

Also, you can't really tell which is a bad area and which is a good one, they are somewhat mixed in with each other, so you need someone here to help you out or go yourself. Definitely between St. Charles and Magazine is a pretty good option. Between Magazine and Tchoupatoulis is a good option closer to the park, but can be shady in some areas. Around the university you'll find a variety - usually good but close to a lot of partying undergrads. Some houses in this area flooded and have been renovated.

I would start looking around before summer and if you do plan to come in summer (many come to start on anatomy or histology or take public health classes), you could probably easily find a great apt uptown. The housing crunch is, like most cities, just around when school starts.

thanks for the help. I was checkin out the website that talks about Deming and it seems like it would actually be cheaper than getting a place in uptown, considering your utilites and internet are included in your rent at Deming. Plus, I don't have to buy any furniture. I am starting to lean more toward living at Deming, at least for my first year.

What's the parking situation like around Deming? THe website states "affordable parking thru parking services." anyone know how much money it costs to get a parking spot around there?

I'm sure I will be getting more info on this in the future, but how does the summer school work?

If I take Anatomy/Histo over the summer does it just mean I have a lighter load during fall and spring semester as a T1/M1?

thanks for the help. I was checkin out the website that talks about Deming and it seems like it would actually be cheaper than getting a place in uptown, considering your utilites and internet are included in your rent at Deming. Plus, I don't have to buy any furniture. I am starting to lean more toward living at Deming, at least for my first year.

What's the parking situation like around Deming? THe website states "affordable parking thru parking services." anyone know how much money it costs to get a parking spot around there?

I'm a first year who currently lives in Deming. The parking is pretty convenient here. As a Deming resident, you would pay $80 per month to park at Saratoga garage that is connected to Deming through the hospital and skybridges.

I'm pretty sure I won't live in Deming next year though. It's nice and all, but I just want to have a bigger place for myself (yes it means I have to pay more.) If you're uncertain, you can probably sign a 6-month lease with Deming instead of 1-yr lease. So if you want to bail, you can do it earlier :cool:

I'm sure I will be getting more info on this in the future, but how does the summer school work?

If I take Anatomy/Histo over the summer does it just mean I have a lighter load during fall and spring semester as a T1/M1?

Yes you would have a lighter load during the first semester. It does come in handy though since some parts of histo and anatomy are a b!tch to study for and they add burden during the 1st semester. It'd be great to get it out of the way ;)

But don't fret over it... most T1s did other fun stuff over the summer before med school started, like traveling and relaxing. this is probably the last summer that is pressure-free.

ps. I didn't take either class last summer.

I unfortuantely am here in my masters program until late July so I wont have the option of taking any classes to get them out of the way. I doubt I would have anyways had I had an entire free summer. i think I'm going to take out a loan and fly all over Europe before entering into another 10 years of my life into books =/

I unfortuantely am here in my masters program until late July so I wont have the option of taking any classes to get them out of the way. I doubt I would have anyways had I had an entire free summer. i think I'm going to take out a loan and fly all over Europe before entering into another 10 years of my life into books =/
That's OK. I worked at my job until the middle of July, so I couldn't take the summer school classes either. Most people won't have done so, and the first semester is less intense anyway. It feels difficult because it's so different from anything you've done before, and you just feel ill-equipped to learn spatially at such a complex level. Or at least, I did.

However, as I've said before, once my poor little neurons adjusted to the task, they learned whatever I told them to. And the rest of the first two years didn't feel nearly as difficult. But looking back now, I can see that my perception of how hard I was working didn't match the reality of the workload. The workload kept increasing, but I also got better at learning.

So take a good vacation. You won't have many opportunities to do so again.

Oh definitely. Im in a special masters program now, and i am about 75% of the way through medical biochemistry and medical physiology (at the university of cincinnati medical school), and i already tired as it is. Any suggestions where to go :)

Personal opinions -

If you're coming from a dorm type situation and don't mind it, you probably wouldn't mind deming - positives: very close to school (you can use the bridges), close to other classmates (lots of first years live there). That's all I can think of, I wouldn't live in Deming but I'm used to living on my own. Downsides: shopping options aren't close, area is a little shady.

Here's the website, there seem to be some other options for grad students: http://housing.tulane.edu/arrive/opt_grad.html

As far as costs - for a one bedroom apartment uptown, it can be pretty expensive (check http://neworleans.craigslist.com) although prices have begun to come down a bit. I think choosing to share an apartment/house usually is the cheapest option, definitely cheaper than deming - you could share a two bedroom for $500-600 a month easily. A one bedroom apartment seems to be around $700-1100 whereas a two bedroom $900-1300 and up depending on the area. They were a LOT cheaper pre-Katrina and it does seem to be coming back down.

Also, you can't really tell which is a bad area and which is a good one, they are somewhat mixed in with each other, so you need someone here to help you out or go yourself. Definitely between St. Charles and Magazine is a pretty good option. Between Magazine and Tchoupatoulis is a good option closer to the park, but can be shady in some areas. Around the university you'll find a variety - usually good but close to a lot of partying undergrads. Some houses in this area flooded and have been renovated.

I would start looking around before summer and if you do plan to come in summer (many come to start on anatomy or histology or take public health classes), you could probably easily find a great apt uptown. The housing crunch is, like most cities, just around when school starts.

this is pretty valid (price-wise). it might be a bit confusing to go apartment shopping in NOLA if you dont know anything about the city. But you could just get a local to circle the shady areas on a map. i'm paying $800 a month for a nice one-bedroom. With gas+electric+internet it comes to about $900 a month. (For comparison's sake, a one bedroom in Deming is $800/month and includes everything). I'm willing to pay the difference to live in a nice neighborhood (uptown) that has coffee shops, trees, a beatiful park, and grocery stores. If you share an apartment uptown you can go as low as $500/month. There isn't really anything near Deming (kinda sketchy neighborhood). Well, unless you do your grocery shopping on Bourbon St... :laugh:

Also, in my experience if you tell landlords upfront that you are a medical student they suddenly get much more enthusiastic about renting to you...

Apparently we pay our bills on time :thumbup: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
kind of a random question, but are Tulane students required to find their own health insurance? thank you for any info...

kind of a random question, but are Tulane students required to find their own health insurance? thank you for any info...

You are required to have health insurance, but you can either find your own (probably the better option) or go with the insurance offered by the school.

Thank you. I was recently accepted to Tulane, though I've been keeping it to myself since I can hardly believe it!

For those of you who live off campus, how early did you look for an apartment? I know that in some cities you look days before you want to move and others rent weeks and months in advance...

Once May rolls around, and I hear nothing else from schools, I'm sending in my deposit and start looking for apartments around July. Most likely I'll be living in Deming anyways, but if I find a nice apartment situation nearby with fantastic rent, then I'll take it.

When do we find out about the summer school? Its closer than we think and I already need to be making arrangements if I am going to be moving there.

Do they have anything on the website about it? I haven't seen anything.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Any current Tulaners out there that can comment on Summer School and when we may hear something?

Also I heard through the grapevine that we cannot receive financial aid for summer school b/c when we complete FAFSA this January that is financial aid that can only be used starting in the fall b/c that is the start of the "school year". Old Wive's tale?

Any current Tulaners out there that can comment on Summer School and when we may hear something?

Also I heard through the grapevine that we cannot receive financial aid for summer school b/c when we complete FAFSA this January that is financial aid that can only be used starting in the fall b/c that is the start of the "school year". Old Wive's tale?

I don't think you'll hear about summer class until April or May. You only have the option to take Histo I think, and maybe anatomy. I don't think there is financial aid for it in any event, but I honestly never checked into it. MOST students don't take Histo the summer before, but if you feel like shelling out the money and want less work 1st semester, go for it.

I always thought doing summer classes before sounded like a good idea, and it certainly won't hurt you. I decided not to, and I am glad I didn't because i think it would have taken away from the true med school feel and course load. All of your friends will be taking those courses, and it is nice to be in the same boat together. The normal first semester load is not easy, but very doable along with having fun. Having just completed the first semester at Tulane, I can safely say that it won't kill you. The summer before first year I say relax, chill out, and if you really want to do something, start the MPH combined degree if that floats your boat.

I agree with the other posters - if you want to spend your summer with family and friends, do it; if you have a fun job or have money to travel, go for it. However, if you don't have anything else you'd rather be doing for the summer and are raring to go (and you can stand a sweltering New Orleans), then it's something to think about. I don't think it'll separate you from the other students - it seems like most students who did histo or anatomy during the summer were TAs or tutors for those that didn't and they had a lot more free time.

Here's the deal: you probably won't hear about the summer options, I don't think they're widely advertised so it's something you'll have to stay on top of yourselves. In the past, only histology was open to incoming students. I think, because they didn't have ACP last year (a semester-year program for students on waitlists but not accepted for med school) they did allow incoming students to take anatomy for the summer but no one's sure if they'll do that this year or reserve it for remedial students or students in other programs or from other med schools. Both classes are 6 weeks and you can only take one of them.

Here's the website from the course a year and a half ago to give you an idea: http://www.som.tulane.edu/departments/scb/summer.htm - I'm not sure if they'll update it or not. There is an email address at the bottom.

I'm not sure if financial aid covers it and I don't think that it'll give you any tuition reduction for the fall semester, even though you're taking less classes (but I'm not sure).

Hey, I think I asked this somewhere else, but wanted to ask Tulaners now... how useful is the MPH for residency placement in a specialty like surgery? Im considering it, because its a good learn, but might ultimately may not be worth it if I could be using my summers for something else like research

Thanks guys. Solid input.

Anyone know what Tulane's average Step 1 score is?

For you current students. What problems do you have with the school?

I certainly know what I like about the school. The most appealing thing to me is the student body. Certainly the most amazing bunch I met on all of my interviews. The kids I met were way more concerned with talking to the interviewees than their classes, studying, etc. It seemed to be the highlight of their day to talk with us.

Also, the school's past couple of match lists have been very impressive.

As far as places to live are there any concerns safety-wise with the Garden District or Uptown? Those seem to be the top two most suggested places to live. Were either flooded? What about Lakeview? I haven't ruled out many places besides the 9th Ward.

Would I be crazy to think about living in Covington, across Lake Ponchatrain?

Looking at Craigslist and apartments.com it is amazing how much rent is in New Orleans.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

I can't really speak to the advantages of the MPH, especially for surgery applications, since I'm interested in neither. Sorry! My guess is that you would be better off doing research if you plan to go into surgery or a competitive specialty. You might check the Residency Forums to see what they say.

Not sure what the average Step 1 is. I think last year they told us the previous class was above the national average. I can say from experience that you'll learn what you need to know, and the rest you'll learn on your own.

I don't really have any problems with the school, but I admit I'm pretty laissez-faire and went to undergrad here. Maybe someone else can give a more objective opinion. As to where to live, it has been said many times: don't arrange to live somewhere without seeing it first or having a trusted friend in the city go by to check it out. Even within the Garden District/Uptown area there are shady areas. I used Craigslist last summer to make a list of places to go look at (since we were living in Houston last year), and I ended up in a nice place but with a high rent. More and more houses are coming up for rent every month around the uptown campus. If you can find roomates to live with, that will open up more affordable options. I wouldn't recommend living on the Northshore (Covington). That's quite a trip to make everyday, especially your first year.

Thank you.

Anyone know anything about a 2nd look day?

Lol...I think every school tends to have a step score above national average- at least thats what I've heard from every school Ive come across- I know that at my SMP- University of CIncinnati's avg step score was 225 or something like that. 218 Is the national avg this year (I think?)

Word.

For every Wash U. or UPenn that is pushing a 240 average there has to be a school barely floating above 200...yet they never seem to surface.

If you are living in Deming, you will need a car for things such as grocery shopping, etc. . It's possible to do without one, but you will need to find people to bum rides off of. Also, the neighborhood around Deming/TUHSC isn't quite a ghetto, but not too far off if that is a concern for you.

It took summer MPH classes in July but I didn't get my refund until mid-August. Some people got their money earlier though (June), so I think you just have to be a pain in the ass.

For MPH classes you can get financial aid, but I don't know about summer classes for the med school. The med school only charges tuition in the fall and spring, anyway, even if you go to school all year round. So you may only need living expenses.

You should definitely ask someone official how that all works.

Thanks guys.

I have a million questions.

1. Did Tulane offer a second look day for your class?
2. I have heard the workout facilities for the med students are either at the undergrad or at the superdome. Is that correct? Are they included in tuition?
3. Cost of tuition looks to be 42K, can you get loans in excess of that to pay for living expenses? That is incredible amount of money.
4. Are 2nd year classes in the new auditorium in 1555 Poydras yet?
5. Where do you park and how much is it?
6. Does anyone use the new student lounge at 1555 Poydras? It seemed desolate when I visited for interview in September.
7. On average what is your day like during the first year (i.e. what hours are you in classes)
8. Is that anatomy lab open 24 hrs a day?
9. What is the bar most tulane med students visit?
10.Where do you park and how much is it?
11. Do first years do anything in 1555 Poydras as of now?
12. Did you guys lose any professors during the semester?
13. How often do you have to participate in PBL at Tulane?

Thanks!

1. Did Tulane offer a second look day for your class?
--Nope, they encouraged us to make sure to visit New Orleans if we hadn't interviewed there (not an issue for you) but there was no second look day

2. I have heard the workout facilities for the med students are either at the undergrad or at the superdome. Is that correct? Are they included in tuition?
--I've never heard of the superdome but Reily is at the undergrad and it's included in the tuition

3. Cost of tuition looks to be 42K, can you get loans in excess of that to pay for living expenses? That is incredible amount of money.
--Yes, look further on the financial aid webpage - they decide how much it costs to live here and buy books and that + tuition is how much you can borrow. No doubt, it is an incredible amount of money.

4. Are 2nd year classes in the new auditorium in 1555 Poydras yet?
-- Not now.

5. Where do you park and how much is it?
-- There's a parking garage attached to the med school and I believe it's $80/month

6. Does anyone use the new student lounge at 1555 Poydras? It seemed desolate when I visited for interview in September.
-- I don't know! I like it there and want to go over there more often but I like studying at coffee shops.

7. On average what is your day like during the first year (i.e. what hours are you in classes)
-- http://www.som.tulane.edu/classware/t1/f06/index.html - you can click through our schedule week by week, it didn't change much from the posted schedule. PBLs are broken up so if you see three sets, only a third of the class attends each one. Also, when you see Foundations in Medicine posted, we usually had a few lectures towards the beginning and then the class is broken up into groups and rotates - one day you might meet with your preceptor, another you might have an ethics class or be doing your community service and of course, some days are free.

8. Is that anatomy lab open 24 hrs a day?
-- Yes, you can get the keys from security but don't go alone - it's creepy.

9. What is the bar most tulane med students visit?
-- Depends on where you are - New Orleans has plenty!

10.Where do you park and how much is it?
-- See above

11. Do first years do anything in 1555 Poydras as of now?
-- We do standardized patients there and also some do ethics classes there (part of Foundations in Medicine). Don't worry so much about Poydras - the old med school building has everything you need, even if it's not as pretty.

12. Did you guys lose any professors during the semester?
-- One of our professors for neuro next semester just died but we never were taught by him and we also have one anatomy and one histology professor retiring at the end of the year.

13. How often do you have to participate in PBL at Tulane?
-- Check out the schedule - we had 6 PBL sessions for anatomy during the semester, it seems like there will be more next semester for physio and neuro. It's nice - they generally schedule it towards the end of the block and the PBLs usually incoroporate a few topics of what we've learned so they're not adding more info on us just before exams and it's good review.

Thanks Myrtle!

Sorry about repeating question 5.:)

Here is something that has been weighing on my mind for awhile:

Since close to half the population of New Orleans has left, resulting in less patients, does this mean a good portion of the doctors in the area have also left, since there are not as many patients to treat? I'm aware the USMLE scores play a big role in residency placement, however, don't reccomendations from doctors within the field you are applying to, and research, play a role as well. In other words, since a good number of doctors have left the area, will this effect the ability of medical students to get research opportunities, and competative residency placements?

For any current TU med students:

Unfortunately I've been placed on the acceptance range list after what seemed to me like a couple of fantastic interviews, with one of the faculty interviewers saying I was in as far as he was concerned.

I'm curious how many people you know in your class that were pulled off that list and when. Do you know what the chances are at this point, with one of my interviewers strongly backing me?

I feel disappointed but am determined to keep in touch with adcom because I liked Tulane more than any other school, even if TU did not immediately take to me.

Ubermu: I don't think any of us can tell you what your chances are at this point. Many of my classmates weren't accepted until the Spring or even after the May 15th date, even though they interviewed in the fall. Just be patient and continue to show interest.

Green Arrow: I really don't know the answer. Many of the clinical faculty were let go last year for the very reason you mention. I know the school is currently trying to work out a way for students to have better access to faculty for conducting research. I think this was a problem even before Katrina, as there hasn't been an official process for finding someone to work with. Students basically have to search out faculty on their own to start up research projects. I don't really know if the process is much different at other med schools. As far as LOR's, you can always do an away rotation at another institution to get one in the field that you ultimately decide on, if for some reason there are no doctors in that area here. I don't see that being a problem by the time you are a 3rd year, though.

its goin to be a pretty interesting place to live, to say the least. personally im stoked.

I got your back braluk if anything goes down;)

Hey, quick question for a current T1/T2:

I thought I remembered the Dean and some of the students mentioning that since the storm the entire preclinical curriculum was graded P/F. But I was browsing some of the SOM website and some of the actual course websites and saw a couple references to an H/HP/P/F system. I know this used to be the grading for the preclinical years, but am I incorrect in thinking it had changed?

Basically, are y'all P/F or not during the first two years?

Thanks!

Most of our class syllibi say the same thing! We're P/F for the first year and I've heard it will stay that way with our second year to be decided - I'm not sure what the 2nd years have right now, actually. 70% is a pass.

Hey, quick question for a current T1/T2:

I thought I remembered the Dean and some of the students mentioning that since the storm the entire preclinical curriculum was graded P/F. But I was browsing some of the SOM website and some of the actual course websites and saw a couple references to an H/HP/P/F system. I know this used to be the grading for the preclinical years, but am I incorrect in thinking it had changed?

Basically, are y'all P/F or not during the first two years?

Thanks!

How does the P/F work?

If a student makes all 100's on their tests for their first year and another student makes all 70's on their tests for their first year will ANYONE be able to distinguish between the two at any point in the future?

How does the P/F work?

If a student makes all 100's on their tests for their first year and another student makes all 70's on their tests for their first year will ANYONE be able to distinguish between the two at any point in the future?

The school ranks the students (but doesn't really share the rankings with us, supposedly) and I think a line or two goes on the residency letter and it's important for AOA, but I've mostly heard that the first two years don't matter so so much.

Of course, the better students will probably get higher board scores and THAT makes a big difference.

The website course descriptions are a few years out of date. I'm sure it's a high priority to keep them updated, but that priority has been eclipsed by a few other more pressing concerns these last couple of years.

As far as I know, everything is P/F in the preclinical years. Back when it was H/HP/P/C/F, the classes we honored and high passed would be mentioned specifically in our Dean's Letters, but if you never honored anything, the lack of such grades would not be noted. I guess now it'll be an even smaller section. Which is fine, because I doubt anyone reads that part anyway.

What they care about are the narrative evaluations you got for your third year rotations. That and your class rank are the only two new things any residency program will learn from it.