Tulane Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BabyDoctor said:
Hi all! Count me in for 2009, too! I fell in love with Tulane at my interview and was over the moon when I got my acceptance... a few months later, and now it's down to practicalities like where to live!

I saw some housing being debated -- I'm personally planning on buying a place, probably a double. I'm tired of renting! Anyone else doing the homeowner thing?

Anyway, yay us! :laugh:

Dude! Congratulations indeed! I don't think I'm gunna be buying a place, though. I have enough debt to worry about for the time being! I dig yer logic on it tho, I'm sick of renting, myself. I'm so excited about this, you guys! I really think our class is gunna kick ass. Seems like such a cool crew a peeps arready.

Ya know, we should ahve t-shirts made, like:
'Tulane kids have more Fun', or 'Tulane kids puff more nugs' :p

Naw, jk. But congrats, and be well. Woohoo Tulane!

Members don't see this ad.

BabyDoctor said:
Hi all! Count me in for 2009, too! I fell in love with Tulane at my interview and was over the moon when I got my acceptance... a few months later, and now it's down to practicalities like where to live!

I saw some housing being debated -- I'm personally planning on buying a place, probably a double. I'm tired of renting! Anyone else doing the homeowner thing?

Anyway, yay us! :laugh:
i totally want to buy. have you investigated re yet? i thought it might be too $$$ to be possible in NOLA.

eckertle said:
One of the papers or booklets with the financial aid stuff says to submit the FAFSA by March 15. I haven't started it, but will probably do it this week. Does anyone know if you need to submit your $500 deposit or FAFSA in order to be considered for merit scholarships?
i think they say in that booklet (admissions guide) that you need to fill out the tulane finaid to be considered for scholarships. i got one before with my acceptance, so i doubt the deposit counts. i haven't paid that yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
seethrew said:
i think they say in that booklet (admissions guide) that you need to fill out the tulane finaid to be considered for scholarships. i got one before with my acceptance, so i doubt the deposit counts. i haven't paid that yet.

Thanks for the info, and congrats on the scholarship! :)

seethrew said:
i totally want to buy. have you investigated re yet? i thought it might be too $$$ to be possible in NOLA.

Hey everyone, I’m actually in New Orleans right now. I just drove down from Michigan yesterday to start looking around for places. I quickly learned a few lessons about renting down here. I come from a small college that doesn’t ever have enough housing, so I’m used to reserving a place in November for the following August. Not the case down here, if you pick up a paper or search for apartments everything is available right now! I talked to some people and they said that there is so much stuff available at any given time that you would pretty much be ok just driving down here not knowing where to stay, and find a place within a matter of a day or two. So now we are just driving around checking out what are some good areas to live so I will know for later. I checked out the Saulet today, and I think it’s a rip off for a one bedroom. The bottom of the pack one bedrooms they had were $860 and you had to rent a washer and dryer for an extra $50 a month. The grounds were awesome though, there were pools and hot tubs, with a nice gym. But still over $900/month is crazy if you ask me, plus its in kind of a crap area. I also went back to the med school today and talked to a lady named Charlotte Steyar. She worked at the admissions office, but was also a realtor and gave me some good tips. She said some time in may or so Tulane is going to send us a password to a link on the SOM website that advertises housing, she said this is basically a classified ad for medical students. They review different places and I guess you can find roommates. She gave me a generic password if I wanted to check it out, which I will of course share. If you go to www.som.tulane.edu go to students- office of admissions- entering class of 2005 (she said it still says 2004) – housing and roommates . The user ID is Admissions, password is Tulane2004, all case sensitive. Most of the things on there now are only immediate availability, but keep an eye on it later. She also told me that if you go looking for places make sure you look at the street behind the apartment. New Orleans is very polarized. You might live on a great street, but the hood might be right behind you. Let me know if anyone wants me to check out anything while I’m here.

do any of ya'll know about waitlist activity at Tulane? is there a large portion of the class that gets in off waitlists? i got my waitlist letter and it said that peak activity is in May but i could be accepted at any time. this waiting could lead me right to Betty Ford....thanks.

hey guys, I just got back from New Orleans too. I liked the Garden District a lot. I will probably live in one of the smaller apartment communities there. I ended up going around with a realtor so I didn't see a lot of the bigger complexes like the Saulet, but I did see the Georgian apartments and some of the other complexes in the garden district and they were all very nice! I think you can't go wrong with the Garden District, feels like a nice safe residential area. Well, safe for NO :p

aegis said:
Everyone keeps talking about how expensive Tulane is. Sure 30k a year is a lot of $$, but I went on three other interviews and every school was in the same price range, and two of them were in state! So what is considered a fair price? It just seems like the majority of med schools will put you 200k in debt no matter how you play your cards.. Unless you sell your soul to the Air Force like I did.

So are you in the June class? I have a MEPS inspect in the morning and an interview left... we're cutting it close to the wire since the deadline is March 15!

Any other HPSP '09ers out there?

Davina3000 said:
I will be buying a home in NOLA, but I don't know how much advice I can really share since I am a complete novice to real estate. You can search the MLS to see what houses are on the market. Latter-Blum has a good site, but most any realtor with a website gives you access to the MLS. The more desirable the neighborhood, the higher the prices will be. If you are willing to move a bit farther out, there are nice properties at very affordable prices. There are also many condos available at good prices. The NOLA market is a little tricky b/c a newly renovated very nice property may strike your eye as being listed at a very reasonable price...until you realize that the area is NOT good at all and it is not worth the lower price to live there. But there is some good stuff out there!

I'd be happy to share notes with you, Babydoctor and anyone else who is looking to buy. Feel free to PM me, I've forsaken my SDN obsession for real estate site obsession, but I'll check my PMs on occasion ;)

I've found pretty much all of this to be true. Personally, I like the idea of rehabbing to some extent -- I'm looking in transitional areas for properties which are structurally sound but the cosmetics are less important. Painting is stress relief to me, as are things like moldings, fixtures, tile, gardening... I'm looking forward to this, can you tell? ;) I've moved 16 times in the last 10 years and am sick of renting and just inhabiting a house/apartment/room instead of living there. We'll see how this works out in practice, but I'm excited. :)

I am interviewing at Tulane next week and I was wondering about what time to expect to be finished with the interview and if anyone thinks it is possible to leave before noon (would work out much better with flights) i.e. would I only miss like a tour or nonmandatory presentations or do they interview into the afternoon (I wasn't given an actual time, just to be there at 8:15).
Also, does anyone know much about or has interviewed for the TRUmed program..is it difficult to get accepted to and how much $ do they typically offer? :confused:

Doxie said:
I am interviewing at Tulane next week and I was wondering about what time to expect to be finished with the interview and if anyone thinks it is possible to leave before noon (would work out much better with flights) i.e. would I only miss like a tour or nonmandatory presentations or do they interview into the afternoon (I wasn't given an actual time, just to be there at 8:15).

You definitely can't leave before noon... then you'd only be there for about three hours which isn't really appropriate :confused: The first half hour is introductions and a talk by Dr. Kahn; then you are taken off for faculty interviews throughout the morning. You have a (mandatory) student interview over lunch, then a tour, then you're free to go around 2:30/3:00. I think it would be application suicide to leave early, but that's just my opinion.

Also, does anyone know much about or has interviewed for the TRUmed program..is it difficult to get accepted to and how much $ do they typically offer? :confused:

I've actually never heard of that program, so unfortunately, I don't have any info. Good luck on your interview!

Are people who are interviewing for waitlist spots now at a disadvantage or is the waitlist unranked?

Members don't see this ad :)
Benign_foodtube said:
'Tulane kids have more Fun', or 'Tulane kids puff more nugs' :p
BFT... you are ridiculous. ;)

'Tulane kids cut it up'

indo said:
Are people who are interviewing for waitlist spots now at a disadvantage or is the waitlist unranked?
The waitlist is unranked. We'll probably see most of the movement around May.

I was at the med school yesterday just showing my dad around and I was really surprised by how many people were there interviewing. It was a full house, considering its full thats seems pretty wierd, or they enjoy torturing people.

BabyDoctor said:
So are you in the June class? I have a MEPS inspect in the morning and an interview left... we're cutting it close to the wire since the deadline is March 15!

Any other HPSP '09ers out there?

I'm in the June class. I got accepted in december and was sworn in the second week of january. Are you accepted yet? Or you are trying to meet the march 15th board?

I took some pics of the new medical school building on poydras. The guy in the lobby told me that Tulane bought 10 floors, but they havent started construction yet. Its in a pretty buisness area of town about 2 blocks away from the old school. There is a coffee shop next door, and a small mall across the street. You can check out the pics on my website heres a link.

http://public.fotki.com/jut305/random_stuff/new_medical_school/

aegis said:
I'm in the June class. I got accepted in december and was sworn in the second week of january. Are you accepted yet? Or you are trying to meet the march 15th board?

I'm waiting on the March 15th board. My recruiter got sick, so we barely got it in on time! I think I'm trying to get into the June class, but I'll cross that bridge, as the saying goes. ;)

For those of you who've been accepted already: How long after your interview did it take to hear back from Tulane?

I received my acceptance letter yesterday!!! Tulane is still sending out acceptances...I don't know how frequently. I interviewed on 3-11-05 and I was told 2 weeks, but it was more like 6 days. The letter was postmarked 3-16-05. Hand grenades all night!!!

i interviewed feb 28 2005, and got accepted March 2 2005. So no more than 2 days.

TD

MechE said:
For those of you who've been accepted already: How long after your interview did it take to hear back from Tulane?

i interviewed mid january and got my letter a couple weeks later in early feb. they're good and quick like that :-D

Babydoctor,
You said you got accepted a few months after you interviewed. I'm on the acceptable list. Did you send Tulane any letters or call or anything? I was thinking it would be hard to get off of the acceptable list because they probably have about 700 people on it. I sent an LOI. I was wondering if there was anything else I should do.
They can't look at all those charts again, so I thought a letter might get them to think about me again.
Thanks!
Marina

You're right about the party thing. We all know how to kick back and not take ourselves too seriously. There are a few people here who are competitive, but not in a bad way. They're just shooting for the more difficult specialties so they have to work harder.

My advice is DON'T GO TO CLASS!! (except maybe the first semester). We have a good note service and good note packets from the profs. Without class, you have much more time to do the things you enjoy. In my case, I golf at least once a week, fish from time to time, and during the season, I enjoy a very politically incorrect sport (which Louisiana is known for).

Get yourself a good group of friends and med school won't be hard on you at all.
clinick said:
Hey Guys - c/o 2009 here. I was hanging out with some students after my interview, and was taken to a really amazing apartment complex with a pool! I heard that it was only $50 a month more than living in Deming - so THAT is where I am planning on living (I'll post the name of the complex once I get it - I'll have to call the guy back).

And one more thing - as far as Tulane and the price. The plan right now is still to go to Tulane (seeing as my interview at UAB is in a few weeks..) because of this: average MCAT 31, average GPA 3.5. MCAT is high, GPA is low. Why is that? My theory: After my interview, I was drinking at a bar at 3pm on a Thursday with a couple current med students. It was a freakin' week day and the afternoon. These kids are partiers! Hence the lower undergraduate GPA. So I'm sticking with Tulane despite the price, because I want to have fun dammit. I think that Tulane is about as fun as medical school gets.
-Camille

Whatever you do, don't get a nice car. The roads in New Orleans are terrible and it'll get trashed. If I were you I'd get a pickup truck--they're about the only things that can take the beating of driving around here.
clinick said:
Q: I was a little concerned after reading a past post on this thread. I'm getting a new car for graduation -- how concerned should I be about theft? Do I need LoJack or a club for New Orleans?

What day of the week does the adcom meet?

I want to know because I'm going to either a) send 'em a butt load of donuts or b) kick in the door, jump on the table, and strip. My student interviewer told me she tried B and it really worked for her. I've got my fingers crossed.

dopaminophile said:
Well Tulane is officially full. I just interviewed on Thursday and this comes from multiple adcom members mouths. So, all interviews at Tulane from this point on are for waitlist spots.

damn.

-dope-

Funny story: I interviewed at tulane a little while ago and the dean referred to this post and said it was untrue. haha.

Hi -
Can anyone reliably confirm that class of 2009 is full??

Thanks

SwankyLove said:
Hi -

Thanks

I think that we can confirm by the posts above, with people getting their acceptance a week or two after interviewing, that they are still accepting people directly after interviewing. I'm sure the class is full or close to it, but people drop acceptances all of the time and it seems like there's some space left.

Also:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/show_entry.asp?ID=11083
http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/show_entry.asp?ID=10981

Also, I heard that a lot of people get in off of the waitlist...

The negative interview feedback for tulane all reports being interviewed by the same person. Have any of you had this person?

indo said:
The negative interview feedback for tulane all reports being interviewed by the same person. Have any of you had this person?

i think it's an older guy. i remember at my interview, everyone came out seeming pretty comfortable and confident...but the one guy that came out of his office looked awful. i can't remember his name for the life of me though... great lot of help i am :)

For those of you who don't live in New Orleans, when are you planning on moving down? I wanna get there early, like at least three weeks before classes start just to explore the city some more.

shirleses said:
i think it's an older guy. i remember at my interview, everyone came out seeming pretty comfortable and confident...but the one guy that came out of his office looked awful. i can't remember his name for the life of me though... great lot of help i am :)

I had him. I can't remember his name either. Harmless. Nice guy. He just monopolizes the conversation. It was first interview (second of the day). Definitely a learning experience.

Is anyone taking classes at Tulane this summer? A friend recommended that I take Histology.

2tall said:
I had him. I can't remember his name either. Harmless. Nice guy. He just monopolizes the conversation. It was first interview (second of the day). Definitely a learning experience.

Akers? A friend of mine had him.

SwankyLove said:
Hi -

Thanks

My interview group was told that the class was already full. That was on January 14th.

There is significant waitlist movement at Tulane once spots open at top 50 schools and some people say goodbye to beautiful new orleans. suckers.

Granted, its an admirable feat to receive and interview at Tulane, but does everyone who doesn't get an acceptance get waitlisted?

Also, how does the waitlist work. First come first serve? Randomly?

So many questions.

people get rejected, i've seen people on these forums say they were rejected. It would silly to have a waitlist of 800+ people anyways. Since the school is rolling, i would think those waitlisted earlier (oct-dec) would have a better shot than late ones (mar-apr). Maybe a current tulane student will reply

vikaskoth said:
Since the school is rolling, i would think those waitlisted earlier (oct-dec) would have a better shot than late ones (mar-apr). Maybe a current tulane student will reply
Although that’s not to say those who interview in the last few weeks don’t get accepted. The student host I stayed with interviewed on the last day of interviews last year. He was waitlisted and got an acceptance phone call on May 15th. There's still hope for us late interviewers.

my reply was pure speculation concerning the waitlist. maybe its a ranked one, thats constantly updated. either way, good luck to anyone waiting it out.

marina said:
Babydoctor,
You said you got accepted a few months after you interviewed. I'm on the acceptable list. Did you send Tulane any letters or call or anything? I was thinking it would be hard to get off of the acceptable list because they probably have about 700 people on it. I sent an LOI. I was wondering if there was anything else I should do.
They can't look at all those charts again, so I thought a letter might get them to think about me again.
Thanks!
Marina

I was accepted about a month after I interviewed, but that's mostly because I interviewed just before Christmas, and the adcom didn't meet again until January. I sent the usual thank you notes and all, but nothing beyond that. Wish I could help more! :/

I interviewed on 3-11-05 and still haven't heard anything (they said we would hear within 2 weeks and someone else who interviewed on this date posted that they got their acceptance on last week). Is it a definite bad sign that I haven't heard yet? I'm soooooo anxious, I'm waiting to hear about 3 schools and tulane is my top choice. Do you think it is too early to call?

meg, if i were you i'd give a call or send an email at least.

Meg603 said:
I interviewed on 3-11-05 and still haven't heard anything (they said we would hear within 2 weeks and someone else who interviewed on this date posted that they got their acceptance on last week). Is it a definite bad sign that I haven't heard yet? I'm soooooo anxious, I'm waiting to hear about 3 schools and tulane is my top choice. Do you think it is too early to call?
I interviewed on 3-9-05 and haven't heard anything either. :(

vikaskoth said:
Since the school is rolling, i would think those waitlisted earlier (oct-dec) would have a better shot than late ones (mar-apr).

I certainly hope so! Sorry recent peeps. October interviewees unite!

MechE said:
I interviewed on 3-9-05 and haven't heard anything either. :(

I interviewed 3/8/05 and heard that I was waitlisted last week (got the letter 3/28) so hopefully you two will have decisions soon.

call the office. But, make sure you do so when there won't be 12 interviewees sitting in silence listening to the lady inform you of your fate over the phone.

By the way, when you call in and she punches you up on the computer a giant picture of you appears on the center of the computer screen that faces toward the hallway that leads back to the conference room.

stinkycheese said:
See, to me, coming from Boston, these rents seem like a dream come true. Who knew there were places in the world where you could live in a concierge-d highrise one-bedroom plus study for less than $1000? DREAM COME TRUE!!! :) If I were going to school up here, I'd be paying $1000 for a tiny studio in a crappy neighborhood anyway, so this just feels so great to be able to pay the same amount of money for such a great apartment.

I haven't been on SDN for a while so I was going through the Tulane thread.. I am soo with you on this one. My place is 500 a month for a cardboard box in Waltham! I'm really looking forward to living in a nice place for a reasonable amount of money next year...

What are the financial aid packages like at Tulane? Are there any scholarships and grants or do you have to get by on only loans? $39,000 + living in loans sounds like a lot to me.