Tulane Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About which side of the uptown St. Charles to live on varies quite a bit. As you get closer to downtown however it does start to get a little shady and much more commercial. And usually the riverside (southside) is a bit less shady than the lakeside of st. charles.

The MD/MPH is a great opportunity and is definitely one of those "might as well" kind of things for a lot of students here. I did not do it however mostly b/c it required getting more letters of recommendation from my undergrad which I was kind of over. It also costs a decent chunk of money at the end to actually get the degree.

The facilities next year are supposedly going to be awesome. The whole part of the building we bought (9 floors I believe) is supposed to be only for students. And we could definitely use a more aesthetically pleasing building!! You can google (image) 1555 poydras and the first picture is the one of our new building.

hope this helps...YA'LL

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much, bbawco1, for the heads up on N'awlins livin. I'm psyched as hell about the new facilities, too! It's supposed to be up and running this year right?

How tech-y is Tulane in general? I know we are not required to have a laptop or anything, but is there a good focus on tech-in-medicine, the use of handheld devices, the surgery robot, digital radiology images, etc?

And also-- is it a bad idea.com to bring one's car with em to N.O.? When I lived in San Francisco, I loved having may car with me, but it was also a massive pain in the @ss, becuse it was daily parking problems, friends asking to borrow 8 days a week, break-ins because there is no private garage space, not to mention so many parking tickets because haters roll around in those cushman ticket-mobiles like whoever gives the most tickets wins a cheesecake. What's the skinny on havin a car in New Orleans?

about bringing your car to new orleans....I definitely could not do without it. Unless you live in Deming (the dorms) public transportation is reliable if you don't mind getting anywhere on time (i.e. the french quarter/bourbon st.) but for school and public service I would say you definitely need a ride. Some people don't have cars but they are always trying to get rides. Parking does suck but most students pay like 60 or 65 bucks a month and park about a block away. I don't know what the parking will be like next year though b/c the new building is further away from the current parking.

As far as techy-tulane...laptops are not required however I would have a hard time functioning b/c everything is online and I study away from home at the uptown coffeeshops. They convert the class schedules to be downloadable on PDAs and a few people use them as planners mostly but I'm sure that will change 3rd year. We have a surgery model that I have not seen/used yet... and last but not least during there is a radiology program that we can use to study from online.

Alrighty,
peace out

Members don't see this ad :)
bbawco1 said:
about bringing your car to new orleans....I definitely could not do without it. Unless you live in Deming (the dorms) public transportation is reliable if you don't mind getting anywhere on time (i.e. the french quarter/bourbon st.) but for school and public service I would say you definitely need a ride. Some people don't have cars but they are always trying to get rides. Parking does suck but most students pay like 60 or 65 bucks a month and park about a block away. I don't know what the parking will be like next year though b/c the new building is further away from the current parking.

As far as techy-tulane...laptops are not required however I would have a hard time functioning b/c everything is online and I study away from home at the uptown coffeeshops. They convert the class schedules to be downloadable on PDAs and a few people use them as planners mostly but I'm sure that will change 3rd year. We have a surgery model that I have not seen/used yet... and last but not least during there is a radiology program that we can use to study from online.

Alrighty,
peace out

You rock dude, thank you again.

Thanks for all the info bbawco1! The new building looks great. Almost too nice to be a university building, but whatever, I'll take it. Are all of our classes going to be there, including labs? I have a hard time picturing them moving cadavers into that beautiful building, especially since there are other tenants using it as well.

The new building is beautiful! I was also wondering how they will deal with the anatomy lab. Either way, it is really exciting to have new space. :) Thanks for all the helpful tips on this thread! When I go in March, I will scope out as many housing places as possible, with pics. Hopefully we'll all find well-priced, nice housing without too much trouble. I cannot wait to visit NOLA again. :)

Can anyone post the link that has pictures. I did google 1555 poydras and didn't see any pics in the links I looked at. Thanks!

PookieGirl said:
Can anyone post the link that has pictures. I did google 1555 poydras and didn't see any pics in the links I looked at. Thanks!

Here is the website with the picture (I think):

www.bba-llc.com/html/contact.htm

You have to search under the Images category off of the google search page.
:thumbup:

Are you heading to Tulane in the fall as well?

As I understand all the labs will still be held in the old building and I think there will be a shuttle to and from the buildings. Also, the new student lounge supposedly looks over the Superdome which is immediately across the street. Good stuff!!!

dopaminophile said:
I'm interviewing on the 20th as well! Is the general consensus that the class is filled or do we still have a shot? If you think the former is correct, what's that based on?

cheers,

dope

dope, you definitely still have a chance, Tulanes pre-med society had some lsu and tulane med students hold a discussion panel and almost all of the Tulane ones were accepted after Jan. Tulane gets over 6000 apps, and while the class might have a lot of acceptances now, i think there will be a fair amt of withdrawals too, Cause i've heard of people interviewing as late as april and may at other schools and still receiving acceptances.

Q: I was a little concerned after reading a past post on this thread. I'm getting a new car for graduation -- how concerned should I be about theft? Do I need LoJack or a club for New Orleans?

clinick said:
Q: I was a little concerned after reading a past post on this thread. I'm getting a new car for graduation -- how concerned should I be about theft? Do I need LoJack or a club for New Orleans?

I would say it depends on where you're living and what your parking situation is. It can't hurt to get a club, or maybe go with LoJack if you're parking in an open area most of the time (as opposed to a garage). I am going to look for a building with a garage probably so that my car isn't out in the open all the time. We'll see what I can find when I go to NOLA to case the joint in March :)

i dont have a club, i have a similar device that you put on to cover the brake pedal. I used it last year when i had no off street parking to my place. This year I do and i only pull it out if i park on the street somewhere at night. It was $40 so not a bad idea. The thing about new orleans is just to use common sense in most areas. Once your here for 2-3 months you should be able to judge what places are alright and which are not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another New Orleans native here - I think it's a great city to live in. It's an old city, and it certainly has a very unique culture. It takes some time to get around and find the hundreds of hidden treasures and hole-in-the-wall places, but it's definitely worth wandering around the city (preferably with a local). My suggestion, on the safety side, is to stick with the main roads unless you know exactly where you're going, and don't walk around the French Quarter after 2am alone! (Similarly, with respect to the French Quarter, my suggestion would be not to go north of North Rampart Street unless you know where you're going.) Having a car in the city is nice, though parking can be a hassle at times Downtown (mostly because people in New Orleans often don't know how to make the best use of the available space). Audubon Park just across from the Tulane Uptown campus is really pretty, and the Lakefront (which tourists never make it to) is really nice too, particularly if you drive up Wisner alongside City Park (where there's a nice sculpture garden) to get there. If you get a chance, check out the following places to eat: Lebanon's Café for Middle-eastern on Carrollton and Jeannette (cheap, Uptown), Dante's Kitchen on River Road (Uptown), the ever-popular Camellia Grille at the River Bend (Uptown), and if you like Dim Sum and have a car, go to Royal China at the East End of Veterans Blvd in Metairie (the suburb to the west of New Orleans, and maybe a 15 minute drive from downtown or 20 from uptown). There's also a nice jazz club east of the French Quarter called Snug Harbor that has a lot of good regular gigs like Astral Project and various members of the Marsalis family.

Enough from me :)
~ Lester

vikaskoth said:
dope, you definitely still have a chance, Tulanes pre-med society had some lsu and tulane med students hold a discussion panel and almost all of the Tulane ones were accepted after Jan. Tulane gets over 6000 apps, and while the class might have a lot of acceptances now, i think there will be a fair amt of withdrawals too, Cause i've heard of people interviewing as late as april and may at other schools and still receiving acceptances.

This is very good news for me. I have an interview at Tulane on the 27th, and was thinking about withdrawing my interview since there have been so many posts about the class already being filled....

Hey folks - I just got accepted today! I'm not 100% sure if I'll be going yet, but I'm psyched to have the option. I had so much fun in LA. Love that zydeco.

I was looking for current tuition quotes... couldn't find any info in my folder from my interview.

congrats seethrew! What was the turnaround time?

I'm glad to hear too that they're still giving out accepts.

cheers

-dope-

dopaminophile said:
congrats seethrew! What was the turnaround time?

I'm glad to hear too that they're still giving out accepts.

cheers

-dope-

Thanks! :oops: I had an interview mid-December and got my acceptance today, dated last week. They offered me a scholarship, so I'm surprised and totally stoked. What a cool place to go to school! Liked how everyone was so friendly and fun. Love the artsy-ness of NOLA. :)

Lester said:
If you get a chance, check out the following places to eat: Lebanon's Café for Middle-eastern on Carrollton and Jeannette (cheap, Uptown), Dante's Kitchen on River Road (Uptown),
Enough from me :)
~ Lester

My vote for greek/lebaneese food goes to Babylon Cafe (on Maple and Burdette), The rack of lamb at Dante's is damn good too.

seethrew said:
Hey folks - I just got accepted today! I'm not 100% sure if I'll be going yet, but I'm psyched to have the option. I had so much fun in LA. Love that zydeco.

I was looking for current tuition quotes... couldn't find any info in my folder from my interview.

Congratulations, Seethrew!! That kicks @ss! You got a scholarship, too? Damn, they musta loved you. I hope you go.

WAIT A SECOND! How many of you got financial aid info in your acceptance letter? I got a single piece of paper that said "your in" - and that's it. Are they handing out scholarships already?

Yeah, that's news to me, too... I want some scholarship action! I'm gettin FAFSA in tomorrow, dammit.

seethrew said:
Thanks! :oops: I had an interview mid-December and got my acceptance today, dated last week. They offered me a scholarship, so I'm surprised and totally stoked. What a cool place to go to school! Liked how everyone was so friendly and fun. Love the artsy-ness of NOLA. :)

Congrats seethrew! And a scholarship too, nice!

There is another med school right down from where Tulane med will be you know!! :D
You guys will be very close to LSU Med so why don't you come over and have lunch with us LSU med students sometime. Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to Tulane.

Congrats to everyone on Tulane, especially seethrew. Thats awesome that Tulane is offering you scholarship. I, however, did not hear as favorable news today from Tulane :( . I was put in the "acceptable range" pool and was wondering if anyone (mainly the current Tulane students) knew if there is still a good chance that someone in the acceptable range will get accepted. Does Tulane accept a good deal of students who are in the aceptable range? I loved tulane, so im a little disappointed about not getting the thick envelope.
Thanks.

clinick said:
WAIT A SECOND! How many of you got financial aid info in your acceptance letter? I got a single piece of paper that said "your in" - and that's it. Are they handing out scholarships already?

definitely the best single piece of paper you'll get in the mail for a long time, cherish it!

Benign_foodtube said:
Yeah, that's news to me, too... I want some scholarship action! I'm gettin FAFSA in tomorrow, dammit.
I didn't do my fafsa yet - it was merit based. In their booklet they say the average scholarship for students is like 3K - there are more to come!

seethrew said:
I didn't do my fafsa yet - it was merit based. In their booklet they say the average scholarship for students is like 3K - there are more to come!

Thank you! Good news. Merit based, huh? You must kick particularly staggering amounts of proverbial @ss. Way to go!

Where in North CackyLacky are you from? Er, not that it's any of my business...

Benign_foodtube said:
Thank you! Good news. Merit based, huh? You must kick particularly staggering amounts of proverbial @ss. Way to go!

Where in North CackyLacky are you from? Er, not that it's any of my business...

:oops: Thanks. I don't know how much a$$ I kick. I'm not your usual overachiever. Got an interesting non-trad story. My undergrad was fine art. Did post-bac. Done zero research. Interesting work history.

They called it an Academic Scholarship. My #s are good, but there are so many equal or better #s out there. I'm not sure what made me stand out. I did feel a certain click with some of the people I met there. :thumbup:

I'm in Raleigh now.

seethrew said:
:oops: Thanks. I don't know how much a$$ I kick. I'm not your usual overachiever. Got an interesting non-trad story. My undergrad was fine art. Did post-bac. Done zero research. Interesting work history.

They called it an Academic Scholarship. My #s are good, but there are so many equal or better #s out there. I'm not sure what made me stand out. I did feel a certain click with some of the people I met there. :thumbup:

I'm in Raleigh now.

Who signed the scholarship letter? Was it Pisano, Kahn, or Beckman?

Someone I work with recommended the Lakeview area as a good place to live. Do any students live there? I get the impression that it is a more residential/suburban area (the woman who told me about it is older with a family, plus from what I'm seeing on the internet). Just wondering if the commute would be terrible from there, or if some people manage it. Any impressions of what it would be like to live there?

Sure, some people live there and there can be a significant commune (my guess would be maybe 20 min depending on which side of Lakeview). This is not quite as bad as if living in Metarie or Kenner where the commute can be as much as 45 min. or I heard of someone driving an hour regularly due to traffic. Lakeveiw is DEFINITELY much more suburban and residential which can be all the good reason to live there. Hope this helps...

I just found out today that I got an interview at Tulane for March 17. I'm excited even though it's really late in the season. The ironic part is that you guys will all be down there looking for housing for the upcoming school year, and I'll be just interviewing!! :D

akpete said:
I just found out today that I got an interview at Tulane for March 17. I'm excited even though it's really late in the season. The ironic part is that you guys will all be down there looking for housing for the upcoming school year, and I'll be just interviewing!! :D

Yay! Congrats on the interview akpete! March may be late in the season, but Tulane ends up taking a bunch of people out of the waitlist pool eventually, so regardless, you have a great shot. Enjoy your visit to New Orleans and good luck! :luck:

Yeah, good luck my dude! Haha! It's just what you were lookin for, huh? Make full use of your interview man, and tell them how much you're into the school and city, which it sounds like you are! :luck: :luck:

Hey include me on the list for class of 2009!!! I’m glad you guys are talking about housing, for the last few weeks I have been trying to search rent.com and places like that without much luck. I did find one place that looked pretty sweet called Julia St. apartments, although it looks a little pricy too. I was trying to find something fairly close to the school because when I interviewed a lot of students said they rode their bikes to school, which I thought would be a cool idea. I imagine it is fairly safe to ride your bike around the city?? Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Has any one found any one bedroom places that are decently priced, meaning under $800/month. I am also planning on heading down there the second week of march for spring break to check out some places, if anyone else is gonna be down there and wants to hang out let me know.

I'm an undergrad at Tulane now, and I'm living uptown. If you have a car and are looking for off-campus housing, I live in a pretty awesome complex. Apartments are:

$650 a month + utilities (for a one bedroom: includes bedroom, full bath, loaded kitchen+living room)
$900 a month + utilities (for a two bedroom: two bedrooms, two bath, loaded kitchen + living room + washer + dryer)
$1100 a month + utilities (for a larger two bedroom).

The complex is on S. Carrollton Ave, a pretty major street that runs into St. Charles. There is a street car stop right outside my door, and I am right around a lot of restaurants and stores and coffee houses. You can always take the street car or a bus downtown towards the medical school, but its a pretty decent ride, so i wouldn't really recommend it.

Oh, and parking is either $60 a month in a lot, or $5 per half a year for a residential permit as a student, which is clearly the better deal. There is a little-driven-on side street that is pretty awesome for parking.

Anyway, if anyone is coming down here to check out the town or wants to talk to my land lord, send me a PM and i'll send you his number. Usually at peak move-in times there is a waiting list (that is, beginning of may with the end of the school year or the end of august with the beginning) but if you set something up now, you'll probably get a place.

My landlord also has a few other properties in even better spots (closer to downtown and on st. charles) but for a lot more money ($900 for a single, 1500 + for a double).

Also, safety is definitely something to be aware of in New orleans, but i'm on a major street, and I've never heard of any problems around me. The apartments are also gated.

I have some pictures, too, so PM me if you'd like to see 'em.

How long does a post-interview response typically take?

Ditto on the response q! Also, did anybody come up with a firsthand indication that the class is full or is there reason to think straight accepts are out there still?

I sure hope they save some acceptances for me in March!!

I'm sure they've been giving out waitlists since oct, the question is if they are only giving out waitlists now because they've met their quota of accepts. There are rumors to that effect on this thread, but they don't seem to be substantiated. I'll see on thurs and report back next weekend!

-dope-

indo said:
How long does a post-interview response typically take?

My acceptance arrived about 4 weeks after my interview and that was the longest I have heard of (straight acceptance, not a wait list acceptance). Average is probably 2 weeks.

I have no idea if the class is "full" but even if it technically is, you could still get a straight acceptance as I'm sure people will be withdrawing from their seats as it gets closer to May. They don't have to fill a newly empty seat with someone on the waitlist, they could give it to a new interviewee, so I'm sure you guys all have a great shot. Good luck! :luck:

I dont know if this seems dumb and too obvious, but can you call the school and ask them if they are full?

Only one way to find out.

Let me know what they say!

aegis said:
I dont know if this seems dumb and too obvious, but can you call the school and ask them if they are full?

I have no idea...but they just accepted me on the 12th (got the letter on the 18th...). I was amazed at the turn around...I interviewed there January 7th. But, if they're still accepting people, the class probably isn't full, right?

Good Point. Of course they've probably given out more acceptances than seats in the class...they send out 400 acceptances for around 150 seats.

I wonder if that's 400 by March 15th or by the first day of orientation.

Either way...I'll be waiting.

Hey what do you guys think about laptops? I don't have one now and I'm debating if I will need one in med school. Since alot of stuff is online at tulane I thought it migtht be a good idea, like if I was studying in some coffee house or something. I know they are probobly a cool thing to have anyway, but I'm just debating if I really need it.

Well Tulane is officially full. I just interviewed on Thursday and this comes from multiple adcom members mouths. So, all interviews at Tulane from this point on are for waitlist spots.

damn.

-dope-

In that case, I think I'll cancel my interview. The Texas match results come out on Feb. 1 anyway....and I already have a spot at SLU. Thanks for that vital info!