All Branch Topic (ABT) Tuition Assistance for MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried obtaining an online MPH with tuition assistance? Are there any programs that you know of that would be completely covered by tuition assistance? All the programs I am finding for online MPHs are either from crap online Universities, or are requesting truly insane amounts of tuition. I'm curious if anyone here has found anything better.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone here tried obtaining an online MPH with tuition assistance? Are there any programs that you know of that would be completely covered by tuition assistance? All the programs I am finding for online MPHs are either from crap online Universities, or are requesting truly insane amounts of tuition. I'm curious if anyone here has found anything better.

Penn state has an online program for either an MPH or masters of health care administration on their world campus. Might want to look into it

I think TA covers only up to $4-6k per year. Most programs cost more than that, so you'll have to pay something out of pocket.

Cheapest ones I could find (from reasonably well named schools) were San Jose State ($24k for the entire 2 years) and Cal State Northridge ($30k). In Ca, there are other good well named schools like USC and Loma Linda, but they're expensive (~$50-70k)

A useful website: http://ceph.org/accredited/search/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You could apply for RAM in the last year before this tour is up and get your MPH concurrently with the residency. Fully paid with no additional commitment on top of the normal residency. It is through the University of West Florida.

TA, in the Air Force anyway, cannot be used for "lower or lateral degree programs" so unfortunately, your MD or DO prevents eligibility. But things might be different in your branch.

TA, in the Air Force anyway, cannot be used for "lower or lateral degree programs" so unfortunately, your MD or DO prevents eligibility. But things might be different in your branch.

It's the same for the Army. You won't be eligible for TA if you have a DO/MD degree.

It's the same for the Army. You won't be eligible for TA if you have a DO/MD degree.
There is a waiver process for all three services. In the medical corps it is most commonly used for MBAs and MPHs. You just need to prove it is relevant and you don't already have the skillset. I have never heard of an MPH getting turned down.

If you want a degree in art history it might be a harder sell.

http://www.navycollege.navy.mil/docs/NETCINST_1560.3_(VOLED).pdf

page 2-5, paragraph g(4).

It is odd that they'd consider an mph as a 'lower' educational level....I mean, I know it's a masters, and a masters<doctorate...but still, an mph (or a masters in any subject for that matter) is a different degree.

So I guess no joy for a 'certificate' in public health? (I only need 5 classes).

There is a waiver process for all three services. In the medical corps it is most commonly used for MBAs and MPHs. You just need to prove it is relevant and you don't already have the skillset. I have never heard of an MPH getting turned down.

If you want a degree in art history it might be a harder sell.

Good to know!

I believe Oklahoma state drops masters tuition to $250 a credit. So you can work on an online masters over 2-3 years and it would all be covered with ta
Incorrect. I just finished my MPH at OSU and FTA does not cover post baccalaureate education according to the education officer I worked with throughout undergrad. GI Bill can still be applied but not FTA.

FTA meaning Tuition Assistance?
Ah nevermind. I wrote that post while studying for an exam and wasn't thinking straight. FTA (federal tuition assistance) can't be applied to medical school. The $4500/year CAN be applied to an MPH. My bad.