Questions about Financial Assistance Program (FAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvester500

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am interested in perhaps practicing medicine in the USAF down the road. Will be starting med school next year. Turned down HPSP because I'm just not sure what specialty I want yet, and want total freedom (for now).

I stumbled upon FAP recently and it kind of sounds too good to be true. Here is what I understand about it: ~$2k per month PLUS $45k per year during residency. 2 years active duty obligation for the first year of FAP, 1 year of obligation for each of the rest of the years. Total comp per year = 2kx12mo/yr + 45k = $93k per year. Am I correct? Just seems like pretty steep compensation.

Several more questions:
1) Can I pursue this program through the USAF, thus commissioning into USAF after residency completion?
2) Does anybody know if they will allow fellowship pursuit after residency completion?
3) What are obligations like during residency?
4) Is there anything else I should know about the program? Potential pitfalls, etc?

Thanks, y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes the Air Force has FAP. I would start looking at the regulation that governs this program for the DoD. The info for FAP starts on page 24. Let me know if the link doesn't work and I can send the PDF to you directly. Also, if it's confusing I can try to help you break it down. Looks like 14 days of active duty time (served at the nearest military installation) are required a year for FAP, but I only skimmed the regulation so I might have missed something.

As far as pitfalls, I would talk directly to someone who did the program. Take everything a recruiter/someone who didn't do the program says with a grain of salt.

I have no idea about the fellowships piece. It might be in the regulation and I missed it. If not, you can get that info from someone who manages the program, someone who did the program recently, or possibly a recruiter.

Reactions: 1 user