TUCOM - CA Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it just me, or does TOURO feel like the "Dharma Initiative" from Lost.:laugh: Hopefully, people are able to leave the island after two years.

I hope I get in!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me, or does TOURO feel like the "Dharma Initiative" from Lost.:laugh: Hopefully, people are able to leave the island after two years.

I hope I get in!
Good luck!
I'm glad i was able to conceal my BatCape during the interview!
Hope you get what you want, where you want.
I personally thought the entire island was cool. See, I write, so I thought What a Great Setting for a Thriller!!!

All I can say at this point is that everyone on the campus, even the security guards encountering me when I was 2 hours early, there milling around at 7am, were gracious, completely gracious.

I was excited to tour through this entire island and wonder why it is there, what amazing naval ships were built there, what force there was, which now is not...it was all reality to me.

I loved finding TouroCA in the midst of my next novel............

Members don't see this ad :)
All I can say at this point is that everyone on the campus, even the security guards encountering me when I was 2 hours early, there milling around at 7am, were gracious, completely gracious.

I was excited to tour through this entire island and wonder why it is there, what amazing naval ships were built there, what force there was, which now is not...it was all reality to me.

I loved finding TouroCA in the midst of my next novel............
So how did the interview go?!

So how did the interview go?!
It was my first group interview. I thought it was unique and different!
We'll see because they guaranteed we'd know by April 18. So just a few more days of waiting!!

It was my first group interview. I thought it was unique and different!
We'll see because they guaranteed we'd know by April 18. So just a few more days of waiting!!

I hope you get some good news shortly!!!:luck::luck:

Hey BTH7-

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about the 3rd & 4th years...Is there anything I can do to avoid some of the problems you have encountered?

Hey BTH7-

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about the 3rd & 4th years...Is there anything I can do to avoid some of the problems you have encountered?

1. Educate yourself as much as you can about USMLE/COMLEX, Step 1. Assume that everything you hear from anyone at Touro about this is way off. Assume that the most important thing about Years 1 and 2 is to prepare yourself to rock Step 1.
2. Focus on studying each topic as it is covered on USMLE/COMLEX throughout years one and two. Fight to get additional time off if you need it.
3. Block off as much time as you can at end of second year to study for USMLE/COMLEX, Step 1.
4. Choose a 3rd year site at a teaching hospital that has residency training programs.
5. Understand that what each person wants out of their medical career is totally different. Don't assume what other people at Touro are doing is right for you. Be proactive. Don't assume that Touro is going to magically reveal to you want you want and how to get there. They won't. Identify what is important to you. Go after what you want. Do your own thing. Follow your own interests. Make what you want a reality, and don't ask for the approval of Touro or your peers.
6. Connect with residents and attending that have recently gone through this process. Find them. Hang out with them. Talk to them. Do not rely on the advice of your fellow students (they have no experience), or attendings who went through the process 10+ years ago (their experience is out of date).
6. RELAX. Things work out. Touro students are matching very well. Everything's gonna be alright.

bth

1. Educate yourself as much as you can about USMLE/COMLEX, Step 1. Assume that everything you hear from anyone at Touro about this is way off. Assume that the most important thing about Years 1 and 2 is to prepare yourself to rock Step 1.
2. Focus on studying each topic as it is covered on USMLE/COMLEX throughout years one and two. Fight to get additional time off if you need it.
3. Block off as much time as you can at end of second year to study for USMLE/COMLEX, Step 1.
4. Choose a 3rd year site at a teaching hospital that has residency training programs.
5. Understand that what each person wants out of their medical career is totally different. Don't assume what other people at Touro are doing is right for you. Be proactive. Don't assume that Touro is going to magically reveal to you want you want and how to get there. They won't. Identify what is important to you. Go after what you want. Do your own thing. Follow your own interests. Make what you want a reality, and don't ask for the approval of Touro or your peers.
6. Connect with residents and attending that have recently gone through this process. Find them. Hang out with them. Talk to them. Do not rely on the advice of your fellow students (they have no experience), or attendings who went through the process 10+ years ago (their experience is out of date).
6. RELAX. Things work out. Touro students are matching very well. Everything's gonna be alright.

bth
I LOVE this advice! Waiting to hear on the 18th. Keep the good karma going, especially cuz you are a good old boy!
Us Texas girls love good old boy karma!!:laugh:

bth

Last edited:
Hii bth! Thanks so much for the advice. I'm starting touro this fall, and am finishing up my masters in 2 weeks. While I am doing a lot of fun things in my time off and working out etc., do you think it makes sense to start preparing in ANY way before first year? I know many people don't recommend this... what are your thoughts?

Also, when you say start preparing for the boards first year, do you mean with the "FirstAid" book, or other books as well?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there! Glad you found this helpful.

Do NOT, repeat do not do anything related to medical school until the day you show up at orientation. Do NOT buy any books. Do not open any books. Do not spend any more time on SDN. Do not think about med school. They will tell you that you need to do all this stuff, that you need to buy all this stuff. You don't. You can buy a $5 stethoscope at Walgreen's after school starts. That will be more than adequate to get you through your entire first year. You're life is about to be taken away from you. Enjoy every minute of it. Travel, have fun, relax, sit on the beach.

Once you do begin, yes, First Aid is an extraordinary useful resource. It really lays things out in the Introduction section, what to do first year, what to do second year, etc. Buy it, use it, refer to it, take notes in it. You will think this is stupid and pointless and wonder why I ever told you this, and then 2 years from now when you are studying for Step 1, you will thank me.

Good luck.

Bryan

Members don't see this ad :)
I thoroughly enjoyed your post, damn good insight I think. Plus, you ended with some Bob Marley. Good times.

KT7

I'm embarrassed to say I was thinking of Alicia Keys at the time. Bob Marley would have been way cooler.

Oh well . . .

bth

Hey Sherruns and Bliksem - If you guys remember me I was in your interview group on Monday at Touro. I just wanted to say hi to both of you =) Hope we all hear some good news!!!!:)

Hey Sherruns and Bliksem - If you guys remember me I was in your interview group on Monday at Touro. I just wanted to say hi to both of you =) Hope we all hear some good news!!!!:)
Hi!Hi!Hi!!!:hello::hello::hello:
Yeah this Friday! Did you email Haight to get him to send it to you by email?
That was so nice of him. I really hope all goes well for all of us!! The school is so unique, everyone there is so great. Let's hope we all get in!
Good Luck!
here's some good luck vibes for ya:
<<<<<<<<PAMT!!!>>>>>>>>

Yes I did!! Hopefully Friday will bring some good news our way :confused:

I wish us all good news this Friday. :luck:
You guys were awesome...made it the most enjoyable experience I had this application cycle.:)

I wish us all good news this Friday. :luck:
You guys were awesome...made it the most enjoyable experience I had this application cycle.:)
Back at ya Bliksem!
You two were a breath of fresh air. Even though we're all competing for the same seats, it didn't feel that way in the interview with both of you. I just loved the Rabbi, also:D. Such a cute, chuckling little guy. Very happy inside. The whole day was awesome! GOOD LUCK!!:luck:

bth

Thanks for all the great information bth!!!

yes... thank you bth7 for all your wonderful advice. i know you said not to come on SDN anymore or think about medschool... but im finding that almost impossible!!

goodluck to all waiting to hear... sending good vibes your way :)

Hey everyone!!! 2 more days of waiting huh? The suspense is killing meee!! I will be sending good vibes to all of you from now until FRIDAY :luck:

Is Touro everyone's number 1? I know it's mine for SURE! I hope for good news for all of us! Sherruns and Bliksem I really hope I see u guys again.. Is it me or is it REALLY hard to focus right now??...:confused:

Hey everyone!!! 2 more days of waiting huh? The suspense is killing meee!! I will be sending good vibes to all of you from now until FRIDAY :luck:

Just got the email. Although I'd prefer to be accepted, I'm on the high wait list, so I still have a pretty good shot. Touro-CA is my first choice. Good news to all that recently interviewed.:luck:

Is Touro everyone's number 1? I know it's mine for SURE! I hope for good news for all of us! Sherruns and Bliksem I really hope I see u guys again.. Is it me or is it REALLY hard to focus right now??...:confused:
I'm waitlisted too!
What about you, Pam??

Hey all! I am waitlisted too. Hopefully I still have a chance for a spot ! :luck: Good luck to you all!

Hi guys, has anyone gotten in from the waitlist this year? Any movement lately? I am on the high wait list, and very tired of waiting.:sleep:

Oh and is it true that people on the high wait list usually get in? and if not they are automatically get in the next year? is this policy uniquely applying to Touro?

Hi guys, has anyone gotten in from the waitlist this year? Any movement lately? I am on the high wait list, and very tired of waiting.:sleep:

Oh and is it true that people on the high wait list usually get in? and if not they are automatically get in the next year? is this policy uniquely applying to Touro?

They wait until they have finished interviewing before they start accepting people off the waitlist.

Not all schools take high waitlisters into the next years class. I believe Touro CA, Touro NV and NOVA are a few schools that do.

The best thing to do is send a LOI and keep in contact with the admissions team.

Good Luck!:thumbup:

I am wondering if anyone is interested in living in a house on the island? I'm looking for house mates. A room is available with a private bathroom (not a master bdrm) at a great price! Females preferred. If interested, please pm me with ur info Asap!
Where u're from, what yr at touro, what type of house mate ur looking for, etc..
Thank you. :)

Do any of you guys know if there has been any movement off of the wait list? And how many people are wait listed each year ( high, med, low) and the chances of getting in from these groups. I assume non of the low waitlists get in. thanks!

Do any of you guys know if there has been any movement off of the wait list? And how many people are wait listed each year ( high, med, low) and the chances of getting in from these groups. I assume non of the low waitlists get in. thanks!

I was wondering this myself. From the letter I received, it suggested that they begin to look seriously at the waitlist sometime after mid May. I don't know how many people are on the waitlist each year, but almost every year people on the high waitlist are excepted (one exception was last year), some are occasionally accepted off the medium waitlist, and no one has ever been excepted off the low waitlist. From what I understand, those still remaining on the waitlist after classes begin have the option of being reviewed for early acceptance for the following year without having to go through the entire application process again.

HI,

My name is matt. Just wanted to see if anyone is looking for housing yet? I am entering the COM class of 2012, and already a student at the university, completing the MPH program. I have a small dog and have to be proactive at finding a place to live. I live near campus already and have the luxury of knowing where the good places to live are at. If anyone is interested in living with me let me know. my email address is [email protected]

good luck to all

Matt

well im not a female, but would be interested in living on the island. I live 35 minutes away from campus and i'm already a student at Touro, completing the MPH program. I do have a small dog... she's about 15 pounds, and has a really sweet temperment. If you're interested my email address is [email protected]

so not all the people in high wait list got accepted last year?

I am very worried now...

I am very worried now...
do not worry. Dr. Haight said high waitlist people usually get in. They even took people on the medium wait list. Look at it this way, if you get in this year, great. If not, brush up your application and apply to other schools while you wait for the early acceptance from this school. You may even get into better schools on top of the early acceptance from this one. You have lots of option. It's a win win situation.:)

Does Touro have a 3.0 gpa cutoff? I have a 2.97 cul gpa, science might be just a tad lower. I'm applying for the MPH program for this august and planning on sending in my apps to touro right when the apps open.

I am wondering if anyone is interested in living in a house on the island? I'm looking for house mates. A room is available with a private bathroom (not a master bdrm) at a great price! Females preferred. If interested, please pm me with ur info Asap!
Where u're from, what yr at touro, what type of house mate ur looking for, etc..
Thank you. :)

Does Touro have a 3.0 gpa cutoff? I have a 2.97 cul gpa, science might be just a tad lower. I'm applying for the MPH program for this august and planning on sending in my apps to touro right when the apps open.

Can any Touro students help a brother out?

I am very worried now...

Hang in there. I was high waitlisted last year for the class 2011 because I went on the last interview date of the year. It was a tough wait from May until mid August. I was very disappointed when I was not selected for the class. But a week later (after the class of 2011 began) I got the phone call with the good news for a seat in the class of 2012. Being high waitlisted doesn't guarantee a seat for the year, but you have an extremely high chance of eventually being accepted for the school. I wish you the best. And hopefully I will get to meet you in a couple of months.

keep83

Hi everyone!

Well, I don't have exactly comforting news, but I did want to share that as of now I will be attending TUCOM-CA this fall..HOWEVER, I'm from oklahoma, and I'm currently waitlisted at both medical schools here. If I get accepted into one of these (tuition purposes), I will sadly decline my offer from Touro and stay in-state. I just wanted to throw that in there so you know that there are still people holding acceptances that are waiting to hear back from other schools, so spots could open up at any time! This is my exact same situation at both schools I'm waitlisted for, and it's likely the situation at every level!! So it's layers upon layers of waiting and uncertainty!! Ahhh!

Anyway, I hope we all hear back positive things, and I hope to give one of you my spot (I'm so sad at the thought of not going back to CA...after all I'm CA bound!!) haha/...

Good luck to all!

Hang in there. I was high waitlisted last year for the class 2011 because I went on the last interview date of the year. It was a tough wait from May until mid August. I was very disappointed when I was not selected for the class. But a week later (after the class of 2011 began) I got the phone call with the good news for a seat in the class of 2012. Being high waitlisted doesn't guarantee a seat for the year, but you have an extremely high chance of eventually being accepted for the school. I wish you the best. And hopefully I will get to meet you in a couple of months.

keep83
wow that late??? did you miss orientation and the white coat ceremony??? Did you also reapply to other schools in the next cycle while you wait?

I wanna know if I should go ahead and retake the MCAT and reapply to this new cycle while I wait for their decision.

The last interviews were conducted this week. Waitlist spots will be considered starting the 2nd or 3rd week of June. Hope this helps those anxious about their situation.

The last interviews were conducted this week. Waitlist spots will be considered starting the 2nd or 3rd week of June. Hope this helps those anxious about their situation.
If this is so, I gotta ask:

Is it ok for me to retake the MCAT while I am waiting????
And hypothetically speaking, if I scored lower this time than the previous one, would the school see that and cut me off from the waitlist? Would they reject me when they see the lower score???

If this is so, I gotta ask:

Is it ok for me to retake the MCAT while I am waiting????
And hypothetically speaking, if I scored lower this time than the previous one, would the school see that and cut me off from the waitlist? Would they reject me when they see the lower score???

I think it will be fine if you decide to retake the MCAT. But you'll need to evaluate whether you'll be able to do well in a short period of time. Retaking the MCAT too many times will be against you, unless there's big improvements each time.

Hypothetically, I don't think the school will see your new score. But either way, you still need to do well the second time round if you decide to retake it, or it may be an issue if you decide, or rather have to to apply for the next cycle.

A lot of it also weighs on where you stand on the waitlist, and also how low is your MCAT score.

I think it will be fine if you decide to retake the MCAT. But you'll need to evaluate whether you'll be able to do well in a short period of time. Retaking the MCAT too many times will be against you, unless there's big improvements each time.

Hypothetically, I don't think the school will see your new score. But either way, you still need to do well the second time round if you decide to retake it, or it may be an issue if you decide, or rather have to to apply for the next cycle.

A lot of it also weighs on where you stand on the waitlist, and also how low is your MCAT score.
I am on high-waitlist. The reason for me wanting to retake the MCAT is that I know I can do better on both PS and BS. The verbal was my weakness, but I have improved a lot from last time. Plus, I didn't apply early, so I want to try my luck one more time with better preparation.
Thanks for answering my questions. Are you a future student at TUCOM?

I am on high-waitlist. The reason for me wanting to retake the MCAT is that I know I can do better on both PS and BS. The verbal was my weakness, but I have improved a lot from last time. Plus, I didn't apply early, so I want to try my luck one more time with better preparation.
Thanks for answering my questions. Are you a future student at TUCOM?

In that case, go out and rock your MCAT. Yea, the verbal was also my weakness, but luckily I did ok on the other sections.

I'm also a waitlist student at Touro-CA.....so take my advice with a grain of salt...:D It's funny though, I had ask the same question about retaking the MCAT last year, but fortunately I got into a school.

In that case, go out and rock your MCAT. Yea, the verbal was also my weakness, but luckily I did ok on the other sections.

I'm also a waitlist student at Touro-CA.....so take my advice with a grain of salt...:D It's funny though, I had ask the same question about retaking the MCAT last year, but fortunately I got into a school.
wait, so you got into a med school last year and you declined or are you still talking about this year waitlist at Touro-CA?
yeah I think the MCAT people hate science majors:laugh:. Seriously, I think if I can get 2 more points on the verbal, A lot of doors will be opened for me, and I mean A LOT. BTW are you on high, medium or low-waitlist?