Trying to rile people up again....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You ever want to put your cars in shows? As a kid, I idolized my uncle who always had an old classic he was restoring.

Nah...………………. You always get some dingus who will nitpick an essentially perfect car or say something like "that's not original"! Some of my cars are modified- some are not. If I don't like the way it was originally, I'll change it. Like on one of the woody wagons, I built a solid ash rear deck, rather than the original plywood and battleship linoleum. It looks far more cool, but is not original. If I don't like the ride, I'll change the suspension; no power or crappy shifting- change the engine and tranny. I keep the cosmetic look all stock, though. None of those had a shift on the floor, but I like that better, so I will change from column shift to floor shift.

I can appreciate a rusted heap someone is working on and never run down anyone's car. Too many 'tools" at car shows; I'll drive my cars on short vacations or to parks, ect on the weekends. The folks who seem them out on the street are usually more appreciative.

You can learn auto repair and do that stuff yourself. I brushed up some stuff several years ago at a community college auto repair class for mechanics. You just need patience and a large swear word vocabulary. It would help to drink, but I don't drink.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I can't tell you how close this hits home. They DESTROYED us for two years and nearly did it this year but we won. We had to spray mud packing out of the nooks and crannies Q4H. They would try and build while we were standing there - They were not afraid of us. Once the nest is built you can't touch them bc they're protected.

Here's what we did...

Garden screen material. Had to cover up any place that had a protruding screw (they build off tiny ridges and outpoking objects).

We tried everything else...Nothing else worked. Previously rigged up bird spikes (tried it in every orientation and angle possible) and spinning/hanging distraction devices. Irritants didn't work (basically fishing line hanging down to annoy them)...

The only reliable way is to physically prevent them a spot to pack mud.

Why don't you cook on top of the deck, or build a stone patio away from the deck and leave the underside for the birds?

If you do the stone work yourself, make sure to lay down gravel, then sand, then weed blocker wrap, then the stones. A level is your friend and use leveling stakes and strings (it's hard just to "eyeball" and you don't want a depressed area that collects water). Take a 50/50 mix of mortar and sand and push broom it into the cracks, then rinse off with a hose. The water will make the mortar right where you need it. Check the quality of the limestone, as it is not all created equal.

I will see if I can find some photos of the patio, grill, burn pit, and pergola I built. They look cool with wisteria vines. You can make a cool grill/oven out of stone and brick by using a window well piece of steel to use as a template for an arch at the base. You frame it in brick then do the rest in stone. You can use wood below to fire it up or charcoal above. You take rebar and place it 6 inch intervals at one of the higher mortar joints and then put steel mesh over it. Above that, you can put metal tabs in the next joint as a hinged place for rectangular cooking grill surfaces. That way you can lift them up easily and remove charcoal that is unused and/or load charcoal for your future grilling. The arch in the bottom creates a good draft to keep the fire going as well.

If you do a stone burn pit, make sure to put metal drainage pipe at the base. You are building a burn pit, not a swimming pool. Also line the inside of the pit with brick. Stone, when heated, will fracture. Ask Hannibal about that- he was able to break through rock in the Italian Alps using heating and vinegar. Limestone hates heat and acid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately nothing new at Fox. Just take a look at their track record of former and current Fox characters:
- Roger Ailes
- Bill O'Reilly
- Glenn Beck
- Hannity

you still lose in the more important debauchery department....by far. So much for #metoo

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you cook on top of the deck, or build a stone patio away from the deck and leave the underside for the birds?

If you do the stone work yourself, make sure to lay down gravel, then sand, then weed blocker wrap, then the stones. A level is your friend and use leveling stakes and strings (it's hard just to "eyeball" and you don't want a depressed area that collects water). Take a 50/50 mix of mortar and sand and push broom it into the cracks, then rinse off with a hose. The water will make the mortar right where you need it. Check the quality of the limestone, as it is not all created equal.

I will see if I can find some photos of the patio, grill, burn pit, and pergola I built. They look cool with wisteria vines. You can make a cool grill/oven out of stone and brick by using a window well piece of steel to use as a template for an arch at the base. You frame it in brick then do the rest in stone. You can use wood below to fire it up or charcoal above. You take rebar and place it 6 inch intervals at one of the higher mortar joints and then put steel mesh over it. Above that, you can put metal tabs in the next joint as a hinged place for rectangular cooking grill surfaces. That way you can lift them up easily and remove charcoal that is unused and/or load charcoal for your future grilling. The arch in the bottom creates a good draft to keep the fire going as well.

If you do a stone burn pit, make sure to put metal drainage pipe at the base. You are building a burn pit, not a swimming pool. Also line the inside of the pit with brick. Stone, when heated, will fracture. Ask Hannibal about that- he was able to break through rock in the Italian Alps using heating and vinegar. Limestone hates heat and acid.

Top deck is screened in, and my Traeger puts out too much smoke. Back porch is 2nd story and off the back of my living room. It just wouldn't work.

Besides, you literally cannot go under the porch when they're down there bc they're flying in circles in groups of 5-7. Confined space. They come in at light speed and it is wild.

Top deck is screened in, and my Traeger puts out too much smoke. Back porch is 2nd story and off the back of my living room. It just wouldn't work.

Besides, you literally cannot go under the porch when they're down there bc they're flying in circles in groups of 5-7. Confined space. They come in at light speed and it is wild.

Beretta silver pigeon 6-8 shot

you still lose in the more important debauchery department....by far. So much for #metoo

No not me. But you go right ahead and choose racism, sexism, sexual harassment, conspiracy theories over "debauchery."

No not me. But you go right ahead and choose racism, sexism, sexual harassment, conspiracy theories over "debauchery."

no i wont be choosing the democrat party. Not to mention i dont like commies.

Read it and weep again.....especially Brennan and Clapper.

gotta give CNN some credit....they released the transcripts too. Funny how they dont give any commentary about it. Ive never seen an empty CNN story like this. Instead they have a video clip of coverage of Flynn?!?!?! Why do you think that is? I guess it didnt rile up their 18 viewers like their usual stuff.

Last edited:
Ohh poor covid brain. Hopefully there is treatment

I guess you didn’t read her goodbye letter. So much for your party of inclusion. Here’s a snippet.

“My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.”

"What do you tell parents and teachers who feel that it is unsafe to go back?" Herridge asked Mr. Trump.

"I would tell parents and teachers that you should find yourself a new person whoever is in charge of that decision, because it's a terrible decision," Mr. Trump said.

They won't peck you- swallows swoop, but don't attack. I would find that entertaining.

When I mow on my farm, there are about a dozen swooping around me, as the mowing stirs up their yummy bugs.

PS- place a stone or concrete square somewhere out in your yard when you use your smoker. You don't want it anywhere near your house. Do you brine all your poultry prior to smoking? Use any orange juice or coke to inject prior to smoking? As I love making things, I smoke a lot of meat and make home made ice cream. I give it all away, otherwise I would weigh 300 lbs. Homemade ice cream is YUMMY- gotta use eggs, condensed milk, and amaretto flavoring, in addition to the "usual" ingredients. Also, you have to cook it on the stove, then cool it in the frig before putting it in the ice cream maker. it takes longer, but the results are far better.

Can you tell I'm trying to get you guys to stop talking politics? It is a "no win" situation in which everyone walks away mad and provides no satisfaction or benefit.

Reactions: 1 users