Trying to appeal for my academic dismissal, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go against the current

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did fine first two semester and the summer semester was a mess. Lots of things going on with me. There are racism people around my neighborhood giving me hard times, I developed this fear that I have to checkdoor locks every midnight. family got covid but I couldn't help, Got an F over all the A and Bs I had in the previous semester and that gave me quite a bit depressions. Many other small things built up and I thought I was strong enough to cope with that. my GPA, along with my personality and mood change proved me wrong, and I've only had one period in the last 6 month. So I went to the psychologist after my mesed up summer semester, made plans to change my behavior and the way I see things. I was eventually, at least before they decide to dismiss me from the program, got back to myself. I scored 14 above average on my last exam, doing good on other courses in this semester so far, and I feel I'm back on the roll. Then they sent me this letter of dismissal and I'm beaten to the ground, hard, but I don't want to give up just yet. They do have an appeal hearing, I reached out to the professors the register office suggested me to reach but no reply yet.
I'm basically on my own now. How do you guys think my chances will be? And what should I focus on the hearing? I mean, a psychological break down/ depression does not looks like a good reason as physically harmed, or your family member died sort of things. And it might appear to be "mentally not ready" in their eyes. Optometry is what I have passion with, and I've already survived the first year, at least for the most parts.
I gotta seek help from somewhere if my professors's not replying to me. So please guys, help!

Edit:
I did have many thought to suicide and a failed attempt... I don't know if I can mention that in the hearing or not?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I’m really sorry to hear what you’re going through. I just want to say you will be okay. Just breathe. Optometry is not worth it- as much as your LIFE is. You are important. You are smart. You are worthy. You made it this far!!!! You got through the major hurdle (1st year) so big kudos to you!! I am proud of you. For your hearing, I would suggest you focus on your good grades in 1st year. And how your grades (you scored 14 points higher than avg now-aka improved grades). I don’t think you should mention suicide attempt because optometry is a rigorous program and they might view it as a weakness. I would rather focus on how you will now improve your grades & mental health (ie. Counseling, different study plans, other outside conflicts). I would suggest that in the hearing you maybe ask for a year off from school, and you come back fresh next year!! (Instead of a dismissal). If you are really persistent on optometry, I know you can do it, if you keep pushing and never give up. I promise you so many students are struggling too but they aren’t brave enough like you to seek help, counseling, or advice. Good luck to you :) stay strong!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I’m really sorry to hear what you’re going through. I just want to say you will be okay. Just breathe. Optometry is not worth it- as much as your LIFE is. You are important. You are smart. You are worthy. You made it this far!!!! You got through the major hurdle (1st year) so big kudos to you!! I am proud of you. For your hearing, I would suggest you focus on your good grades in 1st year. And how your grades (you scored 14 points higher than avg now-aka improved grades). I don’t think you should mention suicide attempt because optometry is a rigorous program and they might view it as a weakness. I would rather focus on how you will now improve your grades & mental health (ie. Counseling, different study plans, other outside conflicts). I would suggest that in the hearing you maybe ask for a year off from school, and you come back fresh next year!! (Instead of a dismissal). If you are really persistent on optometry, I know you can do it, if you keep pushing and never give up. I promise you so many students are struggling too but they aren’t brave enough like you to seek help, counseling, or advice. Good luck to you :) stay strong!
Thank you so much for your support
Thank you for your support! I think I got desperated and lost my rationality. But my professors replied to me and they were helping me with this whole process now. I don't know what my chances are but I do believe in myself now. I'll update when the hearing's done :)
Greatly greatly thank you for your support again!