Reapplying After Dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was dismissed from optometry school last year for failing one practical in one class. I passed all my other classes. I was going through emotional abuse while trying to extricate myself from what I now realize was a cult, and was having panic attacks and terror when performing the particular practical, which I associated with everything going on at the time. Besides this mental health issue, I have another physical disability, which I had asked for accommodations for and was denied.

I am trying to apply again (not to the school I was in), but last year I did and wasn't accepted anywhere. I explained my situation and got quite a few interviews, but no dice. My OAT score is great, my undergrad GPA is a 3.7, and when I initially applied before I attended I got into every school I applied to.

My question is - does anyone know anyone who has been dismissed but then reapplied and was accepted to another school? How did they do it? How did they make their application strong? What school were they dismissed from and which one are they at now (or which one did they graduate from?)

I'd love to speak with anyone who has experience with this. I feel like this dismissal on my record is an automatic blacklist.

Also, what is your school's culture? Are the doctors supportive? Mine was not in the least. Not a single person was on my side (kind of like what happened with the cult - in fact it felt remarkably similar). No one wanted anyone to succeed. See the post about a school being emotionally abusive from 2021.

Members don't see this ad.