Tripler VA DR Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve_Zissou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo, does anyone know anything about this residency? Just found out recently that they have the VA civilian spots and am highly interested but am having a hard time finding much info about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know anything specific about the Tripler program but just a heads up military residencies tend to be different than civilian residencies in a few ways. I have basically an N of 2, my close buddy of mine trained at naval station san diego and i knew a few people who trained at the army base in San Antonio.

1) the volume tends to be lower, sometimes significantly so. The people from the army base said they were reading about half the volume on their home residency body rotations vs outside rotations at the local tertiary care center.
2) with less volume, the size of the faculty is much smaller. You may only have 1-2 people teaching you any given sub-specialty.
3) the types of pathology are significantly different. Most military associated patients are young and relatively healthy. The military residents typically get great MSK training. Less so on tertiary-referral level basically everything else. Military hospitals are typically not transplant or level 1 trauma centers.
4) Somethings they get trained to do are just straight up not done in civilian programs. My buddy at San Diego got extensive training on how to actually acquire xray/US and even some CT images because the resources in forward areas are tighter and he may be called upon to the do tech-level work shortages arise.

Reactions: 1 user