Trignometry expert, please come in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessica22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys know what do I need to knwo for the Trigonometry part on the DAT? I'm really bad at this, and can't remember it from HS:(. Thanks you guys...

Members don't see this ad.

jessica22 said:
You guys know what do I need to knwo for the Trigonometry part on the DAT? I'm really bad at this, and can't remember it from HS:(. Thanks you guys...

you should probably start with the Unit Circle, SOH CAH TOA, and the trig identities

1. Unit circle: look up on google images and memorize it. ex. you should know the sin, cosine, tan, etc. at all major degree measure.

2. SOH CAH TOA:

Sin of an angle (theta)= Opposite over Hypotenuse

Cosine of an angle (theta)= Adjacent over Hypotenuse

Tangent of an angle (theta) = Opposite over Adjacent

and just remember that if you're looking for the cosecant, secant, and cotangent, it's the opposite:

cosecant of theta = hypotenuse over opposite

secant of theta = hypotenuse over adjacent

tangent of theta= adjacent over opposite.

3. get the identities from the internet or a precalculus book/dat study guide.

hope that helps.

I was not only really bad, I was horrible at this section of the QR. What helped tremendously improve my confidence on this section was REA Alegbra & Trignometry practice book...$25.00 at barnes.

I got it, and did the problems on a separate sheet of paper for about a month. Then returned the book...for in store credit. I know it sounds like I'm a cheapo, but seriously, $25.00 for a book I'm never going to look at again? Pshhh, save that receipt. It's well worth the investment though.

Best Wishes,
Indy

Check my old posts for serious advice on how to prep.

omg i HATE HATE HATE trignometric calculus, almost as much as i ate calculus dealing with series, whats the derivative of inverse tangent(5x), why the hell would i need to know!!, trig identity substitution, integral of hyperbolic inverse sine, booooo

Members don't see this ad :)
americanpierg said:
omg i HATE HATE HATE trignometric calculus, almost as much as i ate calculus dealing with series, whats the derivative of inverse tangent(5x), why the hell would i need to know!!, trig identity substitution, integral of hyperbolic inverse sine, booooo

intergral of hyperbolic inverse sine? don't think that's going to be on the test...most people said topscore's and datachiever's qr is a bit easier than the real thing...and they only have simple trig. know your trig IDs and the basics. got 17 at first but with practice i got about 20 right now.

mhl397 said:
you should probably start with the Unit Circle, SOH CAH TOA, and the trig identities

1. Unit circle: look up on google images and memorize it. ex. you should know the sin, cosine, tan, etc. at all major degree measure.

2. SOH CAH TOA:

Sin of an angle (theta)= Opposite over Hypotenuse

Cosine of an angle (theta)= Adjacent over Hypotenuse

Tangent of an angle (theta) = Opposite over Adjacent

and just remember that if you're looking for the cosecant, secant, and cotangent, it's the opposite:

cosecant of theta = hypotenuse over opposite

secant of theta = hypotenuse over adjacent

tangent of theta= adjacent over opposite.

3. get the identities from the internet or a precalculus book/dat study guide.

hope that helps.

Unit Circle? Is this it?

unit_circle.gif

burton117 said:
Unit Circle? Is this it?

unit_circle.gif

yes thats the unit circle, the way ive learned to memmorize it is by pi/6 increments, plus the 4 pi/4 sections, each pi/4 is root(2)/2, root(2)/2, with minus signs thrown in by its location in the quadrants, and if u break up the reamining sections into pi/6 sections, u can just memmorize root(3)/2 and 1/2 and where they fit for the first quadrant and go around the circle and fill everything in, makes life MUCH easier

Thanks you guys for those info. I think I got it now :).... This is my way of memorizing the info. 30:60:90 --1: sqrt3: 2, 45:45:90---1:1:2.... quardant 1, 2, 3, 4.... remember is A, S, T, C... which is All Student Take Calculus... so on quardant 1, everything is +, quardant 2 only Sine is positive...and so on... ahhh I know my english suck but hope u guys understand me....