Transplant Hepatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackson292292

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the reason for being trained in gastroenterology to apply for the ABIM certified transplant hepatology fellowship? Like what does the GI fellowship offer that makes it helpful for transplant hepatology

I know there are training programs that you can do after IM residency, but those are non-ABIM.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the reason for being trained in gastroenterology to apply for the ABIM certified transplant hepatology fellowship? Like what does the GI fellowship offer that makes it helpful for transplant hepatology

I know there are training programs that you can do after IM residency, but those are non-ABIM.
Protectionism.

Endoscopy. Management of sick hepatology inpatients. Endoscopy. We really want you to take your own ****ing call and you can't if you are a no scope noload.

Most people doing liver before GI were just trying to improve their GI apps. They moved it to only after to keep it to the true believers.

They are piloting bringing it back into the 3 year fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user

GI and Hep are not exclusive, people always forget every GI fellowship is required to have significant Hep exposure. Also it makes sense that on top of mastering all the basic endoscopy skills, Hepatologists ( especially at large transplant centers ) are frequently the ones who band varices, do liver biopsies, and place linton tubes. Basically its no different from having to do general cardiology felllowship if you want to do EP.