Transplant Hepatology Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GastriqueGraffin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked this question on a different thread and received a reply but not exactly a full answer so I thought I'd ask it on a separate thread. Is it possible to be a private transplant hepatologist? If anyone knows firsthand of this please let me know. I will be starting fellowship and genuinely am interested in the field but worry that I don't want to be in academics, especially if it must involve research. I would not mind working with fellows and teaching but again, my interest is almost entirely clinical.

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this question on a different thread and received a reply but not exactly a full answer so I thought I'd ask it on a separate thread. Is it possible to be a private transplant hepatologist? If anyone knows firsthand of this please let me know. I will be starting fellowship and genuinely am interested in the field but worry that I don't want to be in academics, especially if it must involve research. I would not mind working with fellows and teaching but again, my interest is almost entirely clinical.

Those two things might not be mutually exclusive. At least where I’m from (a major academic center) and a nearby institution (a large community program) that both have fairly high volume transplant programs, there are several faculty members that do no research. I imagine that it’s hard to advance without research and harder to finder jobs that don’t require it, but I asked this on most of my interviews in one way or another (ie job opportunities as faculty, growth etc) and most places commented that they are very very busy and either don’t have much time for research or they do need people to do straight clinical/educator work.

I really have no data to back this up, but I wouldn’t be surprised if over the years the trend of large centers buying up small local practices and in general building this satellite system that transplant will over time get even more focused on just major centers.

If you’re interested in a transplant place not associated with a university then most of those “community” places I’ve noticed do seem to be “academic like” in that they have lots of trainees and try to do research. Obviously the impetus to publish is somewhat less there so advancement or job opportunities might be easier. Again all speculation.

Reactions: 1 user
Those two things might not be mutually exclusive. At least where I’m from (a major academic center) and a nearby institution (a large community program) that both have fairly high volume transplant programs, there are several faculty members that do no research. I imagine that it’s hard to advance without research and harder to finder jobs that don’t require it, but I asked this on most of my interviews in one way or another (ie job opportunities as faculty, growth etc) and most places commented that they are very very busy and either don’t have much time for research or they do need people to do straight clinical/educator work.

I really have no data to back this up, but I wouldn’t be surprised if over the years the trend of large centers buying up small local practices and in general building this satellite system that transplant will over time get even more focused on just major centers.

If you’re interested in a transplant place not associated with a university then most of those “community” places I’ve noticed do seem to be “academic like” in that they have lots of trainees and try to do research. Obviously the impetus to publish is somewhat less there so advancement or job opportunities might be easier. Again all speculation.

I appreciate your reply and sharing your experience. It will be interesting to see what effect this trend of large university centers buying up community programs will have. Whether it will be more of a formality for purposes of being more profitable and more competitive against nearby university rivals with a larger cache of patients, or if it will truly change those hospitals to be run by the academic departments from the main campus with docs who will cover these satellite locations on a permanent or rotating basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your reply and sharing your experience. It will be interesting to see what effect this trend of large university centers buying up community programs will have. Whether it will be more of a formality for purposes of being more profitable and more competitive against nearby university rivals with a larger cache of patients, or if it will truly change those hospitals to be run by the academic departments from the main campus with docs who will cover these satellite locations on a permanent or rotating basis.
Did you decide to do transplant and find a job in PP?

What's actually interesting from the institutions I have interacted with, is that transplant hepatology seemed much more clinical than I would have thought. I was interested in being more of a split researcher with maybe 25% clinical and the majority of academic centers I interviewed with said it wasn't possible since transplant requires so much time with patients, which i understand. Many places had faculty members who didnt do any research or maybe a small clinical study, and would just teach or something. I also know several transplant hepatologists who went to private practice with large GI medical groups and they basically just see liver patients and have privileges at a local hospital that does a few transplants just to keep their skills up. Just my experience so far.