Combined GI/Hepatology Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr8sian

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's ~20 places that have a combined program for GI and hepatology in 3 yrs, anyone doing this or can shed some light on it? I'll probably do a +1yr Hep fellowship after GI anyway, just wondering if its worth it to shrink it down to 3yrs. I assume you lose elective/research time but specific questions:

1. From your experience, would you do it again or do the Hep fellowship separately? (for those in this combined track).
2. Would it improve my chances of matching? Like a interview-twice-for-one-program deal (once for GI and once for GI/Hep)
3. Are there separate spots for combined fellows or it would take up a regular GI fellow spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean Pilot program for transplant Hepatology or Do you mean Gastroenterology and Hepatology (with some adding nutrition) on your degree when you graduate?

Answers to your questions )
1: IDK, maybe
2: No it does not
3: Separate spots or regular spots in case of the pilot, after two years they ask you to join the pilot program.

But the above answers is for Pilot program.

It can get you the same credential in 3 years that would otherwise take you 4 years. If you want to be a transplant hepatologist it is a no brainer. Worst case, you decide you hate transplant and you go take a general job with some hepatology and did not waste a year of your life and a year of attending salary.

Anything you can do to shorten your fellowship is a win.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do they sacrifice to fit in that year of transplant in the 3 years?