Matched at a place with low scope volume, how can I prep for private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IM_to_ortho_hopeful

Reaction score
I matched at a place where fellows graduate with 600 total endoscopies including both EGD and colonoscopy. My goal is to go into private practice but unfortunately can't control the match algorithm. How can I make the best of the time I do have during fellowship to get additional volume/get good at endoscopy? Is there any other way for me to practice colonoscopies or get additional volume? Am I doomed to academics forever by ending up at a low volume place or will I be able to still escape the academic rat race?

Members don't see this ad.

That is definitely low volume but just do the best you can and suffer for a year or two as an attending. Lots of jobs out there right now. You'll be ok

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched at a place where fellows graduate with 600 total endoscopies including both EGD and colonoscopy. My goal is to go into private practice but unfortunately can't control the match algorithm. How can I make the best of the time I do have during fellowship to get additional volume/get good at endoscopy? Is there any other way for me to practice colonoscopies or get additional volume? Am I doomed to academics forever by ending up at a low volume place or will I be able to still escape the academic rat race?
I graduated with 1000+ cases but the learning curve in independent practice is unsurpassed. my first year was spent fine tuning and can see a huge difference in efficiency of scopes. you will be fine. dont get too greedy with your first job, go with a place that will allow you to ease in, do 10 cses a day to start and you can ramp up slowly

Reactions: 1 users
That is definitely low volume but just do the best you can and suffer for a year or two as an attending. Lots of jobs out there right now. You'll be ok
What do you mean by suffer?

Does everyone’s endoscopic skills eventually even out? Can an attending with 600 scopes eventually catch up? I assume some of you may be doing 50-100 scopes/week, would a couple of weeks of higher volume scoping eventually help with catching up with endoscopic skills?

What do you mean by suffer?

Does everyone’s endoscopic skills eventually even out? Can an attending with 600 scopes eventually catch up? I assume some of you may be doing 50-100 scopes/week, would a couple of weeks of higher volume scoping eventually help with catching up with endoscopic skills?
skills reach a big level by 5000 and max level by 10000 scopes and will continue as long as one is doing scopes regularly.

Reactions: 1 user