Transferring Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Che

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
New person here on SDN but looked and didn't see a thread discussing this. I'm a first year PCCM fellow at a decent university program, came from a top 10-20 IM residency and matched kinda low on my list. Giving it my best shot but it just doesn't seem like me education here is as good as in residency and not that varied. No transplant, not a lot of ILD, not a lot of PHTN. I guess I'm feeling like I will finish here and not really be prepped for practice, not sure if I want to do any sub-sub specialization but want to know how to tackle anything. Also thinking I may want to stay in academics.
So the question is, has anyone here transferred or have experience with someone transferring? I'm not sure I'm there yet but trying to figure out the steps if I were to look into it. I would want to transfer to a larger program, I would be kinda picky as to where I went, probably large top 10-20 programs with larger and more varied populations, transplant, big ICU's etc. I know it's a bit strange to not transfer for specific research etc. but I just can't reconcile the marginal practices and the feeling that I'm not really getting a good education and experience.
Also, ever heard of going somewhere else for a fourth year/pseudo fellowship junior faculty position? It might give me the opportunity to gain more experience teaching while giving them a workhorse who is board certified by then...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,
New person here on SDN but looked and didn't see a thread discussing this. I'm a first year PCCM fellow at a decent university program, came from a top 10-20 IM residency and matched kinda low on my list. Giving it my best shot but it just doesn't seem like me education here is as good as in residency and not that varied. No transplant, not a lot of ILD, not a lot of PHTN. I guess I'm feeling like I will finish here and not really be prepped for practice, not sure if I want to do any sub-sub specialization but want to know how to tackle anything. Also thinking I may want to stay in academics.
So the question is, has anyone here transferred or have experience with someone transferring? I'm not sure I'm there yet but trying to figure out the steps if I were to look into it. I would want to transfer to a larger program, I would be kinda picky as to where I went, probably large top 10-20 programs with larger and more varied populations, transplant, big ICU's etc. I know it's a bit strange to not transfer for specific research etc. but I just can't reconcile the marginal practices and the feeling that I'm not really getting a good education and experience.
Also, ever heard of going somewhere else for a fourth year/pseudo fellowship junior faculty position? It might give me the opportunity to gain more experience teaching while giving them a workhorse who is board certified by then...

Thanks!

Tough situation, but you may need to make the most of it and change your attitude, be an autodidact in the areas lacking would help.
In fellowship you will not be spoon fed anything anywhere ... If you want to make the most of your training you need to read up and engage your staff with the questions that arise for you if you can't find the answers, with any interesting or bread and butter cases. are you doing this?

It's difficult to switch and you have to consider that if you didn't end up in a top program as a 1st year it will be 2x as hard for you to end up there as a 2nd y.

You can always apply at another institution after you are done to try different waters, I'm sure they would love to have you in academics if that's what you like and work for during your training.

Best of luck man!
I have not been personally in your shoes, but it must be horrible.
Try to make the most of your dealt hand man.