Transfer problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Queasel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

just registered and starting right away with a question :)

I'm a second year medical student in Germany (preclinical year), 28 years old. Before starting medical school I was a paramedic and also worked for several years in EMS, ER (trauma team), ICU and so on. My school finals were not that brilliant, so I had to wait for university admission that finally came in 2011. Because my study grades from the paramedic were great I got a scholarship and my university grades are also fine, so everything could be nice, IF NOT...

As I said I am a paramedic - I have a german and a international qualification. The international one is running out soon but the institution where I could renew it is currently going bankrupt. My german qualification will be worthless in 2014 because of a new EMS law starting here - unless I take part in a 6 month programme further studying (I don't have the time due to med school really). But I do not want to lose all my qualifications I worked for all my previous life. And after all there is still the possibility of failure in med school and then I have nothing left to start again.
My possibilities now are to seek accreditation elsewhere. Actually I always wanted to leave, so maybe this is the time. The accreditation is not the major problem, I've found out so far. But transfer is. For example British med schools hardly accept international transfers looking at their webpages - the Irish ones neither. I'd also take the USMLE Step 1 next summer and take the step over to the US if I knew this was a possible way to carry on.

Has anyone got experiences with transferring to another country? I know it is not going to be easy and it is a big step. But I do not want to lose my qualification and the license to work in my job until I graduated...

By the way my final goal is - fitting my previous job and experiences - A&E/Emergency Medicine. A specialty that is not available in my country anyway, so maybe another reason for seeking transfer...

I'd be very grateful for - maybe encouraging - advice!

Regards

Queasel

Members don't see this ad.

The carribean will take transfer