Anyone Transfer Into A UK/Irish School From Mainland Europe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slight365

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently attending a uni in Germany, but I'm a UK citizen.

I'm wondering about transfer, beyond an exchange basis. Has anyone successfully tried such a thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Not that I know of. I would suggest calling the admissions departments of each school and asking.

It is possible, but it's unlikely. I've done some research on it myself. I think if you contact every school about transfers, see who will consider it, and then apply to those schools every year until you graduate you've got a better chance.

It it very hard to transfer into UK/Irish schools but it is usually done on a case-by-case basis. If you can make a strong case for transfer (e.g. a close family member being gravely ill) then you've got a better shot.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. People DO transfer to UK/Irish schools, just work hard on being one of those who make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible, but it's unlikely. I've done some research on it myself. I think if you contact every school about transfers, see who will consider it, and then apply to those schools every year until you graduate you've got a better chance.

It it very hard to transfer into UK/Irish schools but it is usually done on a case-by-case basis. If you can make a strong case for transfer (e.g. a close family member being gravely ill) then you've got a better shot.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. People DO transfer to UK/Irish schools, just work hard on being one of those who make it.

People really don't transfer in, at least not anymore. It is so rare you honestly should pretty much forget about it. If you are a UK citizen I assume you applied to the UK in the first place? If you did and didn't get in your chances are even lower, it really just doesn't happen. If anyone did even consider you your next of kin would basically have to be living near the med school and dying for you to be considered. The vast majority of applicants don't get in. Why should they give a place to someone who already has one somewhere else? - That will be their thinking.

I'm currently attending a uni in Germany, but I'm a UK citizen.

I'm wondering about transfer, beyond an exchange basis. Has anyone successfully tried such a thing?
Keele School of Medicine, UK does consider transfers from EU/EEA medical schools (GMC-approved) but on their website, it has to be very extenuating circumstances. There has to be a compelling reason for why you need to transfer. I don't think they will accept reasons to do with 'financial' or being 'home sick'. Hope that helps. :)

http://www.keele.ac.uk/health/schoo...ntryrouteshowtoapply/admissionsfaqs/#transfer