Transfer to UK from Caribbean!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rajmith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey good day everyone I am currently a second year medical student at The University of the West Indies Mona, and I was just wondering how and is it even possible to transfer to the UK for med school.
If so what would be some of the requirements in terms of of Exam Qualifications etc.
The MBBS programme here is 5yrs, 2yrs pre-clin and 3yrs clinical rotations, then finally one yr internship.
I am currently in the top of my class but I really need to know how to get away to the UK as soon as possible(better to know from an early stage rite?)

I would really love to get into a Nuero residency!! in the UK

hope these details help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey good day everyone I am currently a second year medical student at The University of the West Indies Mona, and I was just wondering how and is it even possible to transfer to the UK for med school.
If so what would be some of the requirements in terms of of Exam Qualifications etc.
The MBBS programme here is 5yrs, 2yrs pre-clin and 3yrs clinical rotations, then finally one yr internship.
I am currently in the top of my class but I really need to know how to get away to the UK as soon as possible(better to know from an early stage rite?)

hope these details help!

Wonder if you got the answer you were looking for !?

I am a potential dental student in uk and heard some story of uni transfer within the uk and not from abroad..I would suggest phoning up the uni you are interested and ask them. If you have already done it by any chance please let me know what you come up with :)

also I have the option to come to your uni ( well I was thinking as a back up ) so why you want to leave it?

hope these details help!

No, it is essentially not possible. A UK student at another UK med school would have extreme difficulty transferring, it is almost unheard of, in your situation it just wouldn't happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ I agree. Normally transfers can only happen if a current medical student in the same year as you drops out, fails out, transfers or dies. Phoning the school couldn't hurt though, so you may want to give that a try anyway.

With the way the system in the UK works most med schools end up taking more people than they have space for. Everywhere loses people the first couple of years but that still doesn't mean they have space. Even if they did they still wouldn't take the OP. Transfers essentially do not happen in the UK and in the few cases where they ever have it was from another UK school, education elsewhere would not be considered equal, it just wont happen. Applying to start as a first year is a different story but dropping out of another course to apply would not be looked upon favourably.

With the way the system in the UK works most med schools end up taking more people than they have space for. Everywhere loses people the first couple of years but that still doesn't mean they have space. Even if they did they still wouldn't take the OP. Transfers essentially do not happen in the UK and in the few cases where they ever have it was from another UK school, education elsewhere would not be considered equal, it just wont happen. Applying to start as a first year is a different story but dropping out of another course to apply would not be looked upon favourably.

Ok so I am a bit confused, perhaps I conveyed the question in a mileading fashion, I was wondering If perhaps I do graduate in 2015, is it possible to do IM in UK? and what would be the requirements for a Caribbean student?
Also I am thinking about doing an elective at a school in Tottenham or nearby(as I have family living in the area) any advise?

First of all, you are at a legit, actually a highly legit caribbean medical school. There are people that are plastic surgeons from that school, and it is not considered an offshore school. I've seen people from Australlia have degrees from there. Check austrillia, check different places associated with the uk. If you are at the top of your class you have a much better shot of transfering than somebody else. However, I bet MBBS to MBBS transfer would be easier, than lets say trying to swing a MBBS to MD transfer, as I definetely haven't heard of this. Even though, essentially you have been admitted to basically doctoral level study after an remedial / intro classes have been finished. This is like the states in that 2 years in BA/MD program is intro stuff, followed by direct enrollment in MD, but you are pretty much I think in the MD program from the start.

Ok so I am a bit confused, perhaps I conveyed the question in a mileading fashion, I was wondering If perhaps I do graduate in 2015, is it possible to do IM in UK? and what would be the requirements for a Caribbean student?
Also I am thinking about doing an elective at a school in Tottenham or nearby(as I have family living in the area) any advise?

If you have a non-EU passport and trained outside of the EU then no basically, you cannot train here. Also, IM as such doesn't exist here. For medics, the path is generally 2 years foundation, 2 years CMT - core medical training then ~5 further registrar years within a specific medical specialty before you are fully trained.