Toxicology Research Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funkless

Apatheist, Anestheologist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I've spoken with a doc with Vandy's EM dept. He said that I'm more than welcome to come to Nashville over the summer to conduct research through his dept, and that he'd help me with whatever I needed. However, there was a clear insinuation that I need to bring a fairly specific set of ideas for the topic of research.

I'm interested in toxicology, especially the toxic effects of "recreational" drugs (coke, meth, even EtOH). But, as a first year student, how do I know what needs to be explored in more detail? I'm planning on going to the library to look through relevant journals to get a feel for what's being done already, but I'm not sure that doing so will provide fresh ideas for research (I'm not too stupid or unimaginative, just too inexperienced, as an M-1).

Is there a known resource where people contribute ideas for student projects? Should I just try to translate an existing study to a new environment or new sample population? Does anyone here have any ideas (doesn't have to be toxicology-related, any EM facet will do)?

Thanks for your input. You guys are always a great help.

--Funkless

Members don't see this ad.

There've been a lot of case reports on wound botulism from injecting heroin but I don't know of any info on risk factors for this such as where the drug is from or how it's transported. Has it happened with other injected drugs such as meth? Might be a topic in that.

Do what you're interested in. Don't attempt some groundbreaking research that's never been done before. Remember, this research takes YEARS and often requires prior research experience, large grants, and numerous personnel for data entry. Keep your project simple -- something you can do over the summer. Trying to get information on a particular subject in a prospective manner would take years in toxicology, unless it's something common like drug abuse.

If you are doing a retrospective review, then do what's interesting to you.

Donna Seger is the director of the toxicology services and tox fellowship at VUMC. She's very nice and very useful for tox-related stuff. I would try to contact her.