Toxicology Board Prep...Can you throw us a rope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.O.nysus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear beloved elder statesmen of medical toxicology,

Every year we hear that the boards are going to change to be more "reflective" of the current practice of toxicology. Yet still with each iteration of board-takers, we hear that the questions still value the traditional homage to the obscure and esoteric factoid. Any test-taker worth his or her salt knows that the majority of preparation is in knowing what's going to be covered and how it will be asked. This is usually best developed through vetted practice questions. Despite the best efforts of the ACMT question bank item writers, we hear plenty of anecdotal evidence of tox board failures despite dedicated review of the ACMT practice question "Q-bank". The reviews of the annual inservice questions and those found in the Q-bank is that they are often not indicative of what is tested on the actual board exam.

Nevertheless, every 2 years there are triumphant newly minted toxicologists who emerge on the other side of the Pearson VUE computer station with their sphincther intact. I am looking at you Board-passers! Please share your recipe for success. For those of you who have conquered the boards (especially those who misstepped on their 1st attempt) please share some lessons-learned on the high yield activities. We hear that Goldfranks is the bible but weak on Occ Med. We also hear that you have to look for that last line of the chapter that drops the indisputable factoid almost as an afterthought. I think everybody knows to go to the board review course but seemingly the amount of material presented is reported to be exhaustive. If you guys were getting ready to take the exam in 6 months, what would your plan be? Specific advice on highest-yield sources and areas of focus are GREATLY appreciated.

This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope - Princess Lea (and tox fellows everywhere)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. This test was a b*tch... first one in a long time I felt I was in jeopardy of failing.

Know GF cold. Structures are key (I made flashcards). The BRC sounds overwhelming, but by the time you're done with fellowship you know most of it... where the BRC is essential is for the stuff GF does poorly (e.g. occ med) and "instant association" review. PROFOUNDLY high-yield.

It's still a brute force test, and I still get PTSD thinking about it. Not looking forward to recertification in a few more years.

-d

Reactions: 1 user
I found the Tox Boards to be very Buzzword heavy. I actually blew through the first half in under 2 hours.

The board review course was very helpful and I made flash cards out of much of the material. I also read a fair amount of Rom and didn't find it that useful (but I know a lot about asbestos). Knowing the various pathways was important. It is a good idea to be able to identify some of the distinctive plants as there were quite a few questions with second order answers that showed a flower. I was able to puzzle out most of the structures, but I definitely studied some of the more important/distinctive one (none of the ones I identified as potentially important were on my test). The Tox Pearls book was useful, but it isn't a question bank and is more of a study lead. I also did all of the Goldfranks' online questions.

Not sure what else to say. I was quite worried about the exam. I studied quite a bit and passed with a decent cushion.