Medical toxicology program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolo2024

Reaction score
How to get into medical toxicology program with pharmD?

Members don't see this ad.

ok thank you but when I tried the website , it crashed :/

Strange, it's working for me. It's just a list of the Clinical Toxicology fellowship programs in the US, there are a total of 8 listed:

Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center
Carolinas Poison Center
Florida/USVI Poison Information Center
Georgia Poison Center
Indiana Poison Center
Maryland Poison Center
Upstate New York Poison Center
Utah Poison Control Center, University of Utah

PharmD's can either pursue a lengthy and involved practice pathway or go through a formal fellowship program to become eligible to sit for the American Board of Applied Toxicology exam which subsequently earns them the DABAT title. Some require residency training while a few will take applicants without it. The curriculum's vary a bit between programs but generally involve a combination of poison center work and exposure to bedside clinical consultation. There aren't that many DABAT's out there so it's hard to describe the typical career path post fellowship. A leadership role at a poison centers, clinical roles in the inpatient or emergency department setting, and positions in the pharmaceutical industry seem to be common.

I'm not a PharmD or DABAT so I can't offer much insite beyond the above. The best bet is to reach out to one of the programs listed above that is close to you. They can answer more detailed questions and maybe have some opportunities available to start working toward a competitive application if you decide it's something your interested in.