Toxicology of sleeping pills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the lethal dose (in mg) for lorazepam was in an individual who is or is not habituated to the medication. Also, what is the lethal dose for Ambien (in mg)?

Which sources on the internet give precise toxicology reports of these medications ?

Members don't see this ad.

Smilemaker100 said:
I was wondering what the lethal dose (in mg) for lorazepam was in an individual who is not habituated to the medication. Also, what is the lethal dose for Ambien (in mg)?

Which sources on the internet give precise toxicology reports of these medications ?

Disclosing this information falls within the realm of assisted-suicide IMHO, and I wouldn't ever answer this question, nor would I refer to someone who would. Sorry :rolleyes:

Roxicet said:
Disclosing this information falls within the realm of assisted-suicide IMHO, and I wouldn't ever answer this question, nor would I refer to someone who would. Sorry :rolleyes:

Toxicology happens to be one of the fields that fascinates me. A friend and I were discussing this the other day. She is worried because her mother is addicted to sleeping pills (Ativan). I was just curious about good references.

Members don't see this ad :)
Roxicet said:

Wow. You thought of assisted suicide, and my first thought was "who does this guy want to kill??"

What's that say about me? :laugh:

Smilemaker100 said:
I was wondering what the lethal dose (in mg) for lorazepam was in an individual who is or is not habituated to the medication. Also, what is the lethal dose for Ambien (in mg)?

Without even looking anything up, I will answer "very high" and remind everyone that benzos are VERY safe compared to older agents (barbs, TCAs, or chloral hydrate). I don't think that I've ever heard of a pure benzo overdose killing someone. Benzos with EtOH, sure, but benzos only... doubtful if it's a healthy adult. My guess is literally several bottles, if any dose. The real danger usually lies in benzo withdrawal; not overdose.

Well I'm thinking it would be pretty hard to kill someone by sneeking hundreds upon hundreds of milligrams of Ativan into their food....but hey, who knows?!

And then if the OP was wanting to know for suicide...benzo OD seems a little risky to me, you might end up just being comatose or have a seizure.

As for Ambien, it would be pretty hard for you to get your hands on a lethal dose.

:thumbup:

Fill us in on the outcome.....