TouroCOM-NY D.O. Class of 2014/ 2009-2010 Admission Cycle Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurnoutGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I should start a new school specific discussion for the D.O program at TourCOM-NY for the class of 2014 as the other threads seems more like a battleground for current student politics. This thread is to help those who have not interviewed, interviewed and are waiting, or accepted. :)

Here's a few questions to start it off:
Are there any accepted students out there?
What do accepted students feel about the curriculum and faculty?
How soon after your interview did you get you acceptance letter/email?
Has anyone looked into housing yet?
What did you guys like least or best about your interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, accepted student here, I'm glad you started this thread, the other one defiantly seemed to turn into a battleground between current students and pre-meds haha. There is a lot if information on the other threads about how soon you hear back after your interview but personally I heard back exactly 2 weeks after and around 5pm (which seems to be the usual). The interview itself wasn't too stressful, Obed did a good job of making us feel prepared and keeping the stress level down. I really enjoyed my tour of the school and felt that the facilities were great! I didn't get to meet much of the faculty other than my interviewer however :(

I started looking into housing, I heard that Upper West Side is a good place to look, http://www.citi-habitats.com/ is a good site to preview a bit :)

Hope this helps!

Hi, accepted student here, I'm glad you started this thread, the other one defiantly seemed to turn into a battleground between current students and pre-meds haha. There is a lot if information on the other threads about how soon you hear back after your interview but personally I heard back exactly 2 weeks after and around 5pm (which seems to be the usual). The interview itself wasn't too stressful, Obed did a good job of making us feel prepared and keeping the stress level down. I really enjoyed my tour of the school and felt that the facilities were great! I didn't get to meet much of the faculty other than my interviewer however :(

I started looking into housing, I heard that Upper West Side is a good place to look, http://www.citi-habitats.com/ is a good site to preview a bit :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tip. If I may ask when was your interview? I just interviewed recently and I am literally biting my nails off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was wondering, for all of you that have been accepted recently if you wouldn't mind sharing your stats (GPA, MCAT, etc.)
I interviewed recently and I'm really nervous
-thanks!

I interviewed on 2/1 and heard back on 2/16

Here's a few questions to start it off:
Are there any accepted students out there?
What do accepted students feel about the curriculum and faculty?
How soon after your interview did you get you acceptance letter/email?
Has anyone looked into housing yet?
What did you guys like least or best about your interviews?

I guess as with any new school I was skeptical about the curriculum since the board scores weren't very impressive (we were told that only 70-something percent of the students passed).
I interviewed in January and received the acceptance call about 2 weeks later.
Some things I liked about the interview was that it was pretty laid back. They didn't ask anything that I didn't expect.
Things I didn't like about the interview was that the people who interviewed me were new faculty so they couldn't answer my questions as thorough as I would have liked. Also, while all the applicants were in the conference room, faculty and staff members would walk in and out to get food that were supposed to be for the applicants - I found this to be disruptive and unprofessional. Another thing I didn't like were the students who gave the tour. When asked what they didn't like about the school, they mentioned nothing, like everything is perfect - what BS. All they wanted to do was show off and teach us OMM, which I thought was annoying. I didn't want to learn OMM, I wanted to learn more about the school for crying out loud.

Hey I was wondering, for all of you that have been accepted recently if you wouldn't mind sharing your stats (GPA, MCAT, etc.)
-thanks!

MCAT: 28P
cGPA: 3.4ish
sGPA: 3.6ish

Good luck!

I'm on the "high" section of the waitlist.

GPA/sGPA: 3.4

MCAT 28 "O"

Good EC's and letters.

I really enjoyed my interview. I have a hard time understanding the complaints put forward by many of the other interviewees here on SDN- Yes, the faculty members come in to the conference room to say hi and grab some coffee. Why is that bad? :confused:

In addition, the students who gave my tour were very honest and forthcoming about their negative experiences. They said that the school was very receptive to student concerns regarding professors that were not up to par, and had already replaced many.
My interviewers were a Neuro/OMM clinical faculty member and the library/clinical resources director.

As for housing- there is not a lot available in harlem, but as you go further north into the washington heights/inwood area, prices often come down.
That being said, I think quite a few people live in midtown or the upper west side.
Hope that helps. I really hope I get in.

I can't understand why people had a problem with faculty coming in for food either, we didn't eat all of it, so why let it go to waste? Plus it was nice to feel like we weren't isolated in a little room waiting for the interview, it made waiting around more interesting.

Overall I was left with a very positive experience of the school after my tour/interview and it seems like what problems the school does have they are working very hard to fix. They are a new school, so naturally they are going to have problems starting out, the important part is that they are making an effort to fix them.

On a different note: has anyone heard anything from Trevor regarding financial aid? I keep e-mailing him but never get a response, I have already filled out the FAFSA I just don't know what to do next.....

On another note, to people waiting for results from their interviews, I heard from another student that decisions are coming out late this week because of the jewish holiday.

-thanks!

27Q
GPA 3.55
sGPA 3.44

And the interview went really well I think. Good luck!

My stats are very similar to yours halebop,
27M
sci-3.41
nsci-3.62

I hope I get in! I should here back this week sometime.
When did you interview halebop and when did you hear back?

-thanks!

I interviewed about two weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Here is the breakdown:
31P
3.3 Overall
3.1 Science

I go to a pharmacy school with classes with the medical students also within the school. So, my GPA is a bit deflated as a result. I am also a TA for an analytical chemistry course and so far have four publications.

In terms of the interview itself, I found that the faculty that came in and out of the break room were easy to talk to. However, my interview was more of a grilling of my research and education. I was really taken aback when one of labeled my institution as a vocational school. My school has housed within it a PA program, pharmacy, medical, law, nursing, physical therapy, cytotechnology, biomedical engineering, and a host of other graduate programs. To say the least, I question the intelligence of an individual who uses terms like "vocational school" without actually knowing the background or definition. The women even went on to say that a masters degree in any of the biological sciences was for those who failed to get into medical school or individuals who are looking to a higher pay. In addition, she did not know much about the school itself and the research opportunities it had to offer. She was the anatomy professor. At the end of the interview I was astounded and really did not know what to say her.

However, luckily, I was able to talk to the other interviewer, a biochemistry professor. He was very intelligent and knowlegeable about his area of expertise, the school itself, and his research.

I guess each school has its strong professors and some that come off as a bit of a flake. The school itself was very new with the most up to date equipment especially in the labs. :)

Yes, the faculty members come in to the conference room to say hi and grab some coffee. Why is that bad? :confused:

It wouldn't have been a problem if all the applicants were sitting in the room waiting, twiddling their thumbs, however, that wasn't the case. The door was shut and Obed was talking, so having the faculty and staff walk in and out for the food while Obed was talking to everyone was quite disruptive.

Members don't see this ad :)
when did you interview BurnoutGirl?
I interviewed March 17th, exactly two weeks ago

I interviewed about two weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Here is the breakdown:
31P
3.3 Overall
3.1 Science

I guess each school has its strong professors and some that come off as a bit of a flake. The school itself was very new with the most up to date equipment especially in the labs. :)

:scared: :scared: :scared: 31P and not yet accepted by TouroCOM .. looks like Touro is increasing its standard as compared to the stats of those accepted in class of 2011 ... Good for TouroCOM ...
Inspite of all these rumours, I CANNOT see this place failing :xf:

Those of us who interviewed on March 15th were informed by email by Obed that Touro is on Spring Break and notifications will go out when they return on the 12th of April. Our interview group started an email list that Obed was on, which is how we came to learn this information. Just wanted to pass it along to anyone who interviewed after the 15th.

Those of us who interviewed on March 15th were informed by email by Obed that Touro is on Spring Break and notifications will go out when they return on the 12th of April. Our interview group started an email list that Obed was on, which is how we came to learn this information. Just wanted to pass it along to anyone who interviewed after the 15th.

I was forwarded the same email after I contacted his secretary. I just want to know now so I can be put out of my misery. I really do not want to put down a deposit for $2000 for a west coast school. <sighs> :xf:

Last edited:
Hello! I'm an accepted student looking out for any other accepted students who are looking for a roommate in the city. PM me if you are looking for a roomate and want to get a 2 bedroom together!

Thanks! I was anxiously waiting

Does anyone know how they contact you if you have been rejected/waitlisted/accepted? I have heard a variety of things I am just trying to clarify if its mail, email, or phone, thanks!

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear this week! Let's keep this board updated!

Does anyone know how they contact you if you have been rejected/waitlisted/accepted? I have heard a variety of things I am just trying to clarify if its mail, email, or phone, thanks!

You'll get a phone call followed by an email with the acceptance letter if you've been accepted. Not sure about waitlisted or rejected - hopefully you'll get the former and not the latter. Good luck!

You'll get a phone call followed by an email with the acceptance letter if you've been accepted. Not sure about waitlisted or rejected - hopefully you'll get the former and not the latter. Good luck!

Do they send all the acceptance emails out in a batch? Is there a time they prefer to call prospective students?

Last edited:
An email was sent out at 4:15pm to me. I interviewed March 15th. It looks like I am going to Vermont instead. :( The following is what the letter read:

Thank you for recently meeting with members of the TouroCOM-NY Admissions and Standards Committee.

Your candidacy was discussed in a meeting of the Committee and I am pleased to inform you that you have been placed on the Wait List (High) for the Fall 2010 entering class.

There are a number of variables which may affect our being able to ultimately accept you unconditionally for Fall 2010. Some of these variables include, but are not limited to, the number of candidates we will continue to interview during the remaining portion of this admissions cycle, of those-the number that will be accepted or wait-listed, of those-the number who will accept our offer, and finally the number who will ultimately follow through and actually matriculate. It is a complicated process, but I will begin sending you regular updates once the interviews have concluded in May. All I ask in return is that you advise me if you take a seat in an alternative medical school so that I can be more effective with these update.

I also want to advise you that you will be considered as a candidate for Early Accept to the Class of 2015 should you ultimately not be offered acceptance to the Class of 2014. Irrespective of how positive this review has shown to be in the past and your position on the wait-list, I would never encourage you to reject an unconditional acceptance to another school.

Your interest in becoming a member of the Fall 2010 entering class is appreciated. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
Obed Figueroa

Good luck to everyone else. I read somewhere that phone calls are made around 5pm for those who were accepted.:luck:

I got the exact same email as Burnout Girl. Anyone else? I thought they might not have any spots left to offer, can anyone disprove that with an acceptance? My stats were 3.35 cum gpa, 3.33 sci gpa, 33R MCAT. I thought I might have had it just with my numbers. Anyway, I still hope to go.

Yea I got the exact same email today too. I'm hoping us high wait listers get in :xf:. Does anybody know what percentage of the high wait listers are granted acceptance?

I had the same email 3 months ago. Has anyone gotten any acceptances off wait list earlier than Jan?

I got the exact same email as Burnout Girl. Anyone else? I thought they might not have any spots left to offer, can anyone disprove that with an acceptance? My stats were 3.35 cum gpa, 3.33 sci gpa, 33R MCAT. I thought I might have had it just with my numbers. Anyway, I still hope to go.

My stats were very similar to yours. Mediocre GPA but high MCAT. However, they are extremely extremely competitive compared to the stats of the entering class last year. I was kind of disappointed. I guess they do not have very many seats left and are becoming more picky.

My theory is that most of the people who applied late are qualified applicants for MD programs across the country, but did not make the cut for various reasons. Thus, many applicants with high GPAs, great MCAT scores, and experiences are flooding the DO market following rejection and wait list for MD schools. The standards are artificially inflated.

Basically... lesson learned. Apply early.

I heard that the high waitlist usually is accepted..Obed still seemed to think that was the case this year!

My stats were very similar to yours. Mediocre GPA but high MCAT. However, they are extremely extremely competitive compared to the stats of the entering class last year. I was kind of disappointed. I guess they do not have very many seats left and are becoming more picky.

My theory is that most of the people who applied late are qualified applicants for MD programs across the country, but did not make the cut for various reasons. Thus, many applicants with high GPAs, great MCAT scores, and experiences are flooding the DO market following rejection and wait list for MD schools. The standards are artificially inflated.

Basically... lesson learned. Apply early.

One of our professors, an MD/PhD in OB/GYN, was part of the selection process and interview process, and told us the exact same thing, the competitive nature of applicants that is. Good luck guys, once the high wait list starts moving, you'll find that it moves really fast.

Has anyone that interviewed on April 12th heard back from TouroCOM NY yet? I'm getting itchy since it's been two weeks since the interview. Just curious... and itchy.

Has anybody looked into housing yet? I am from out of the area but many individuals have recommended that I live in the upper west side or the southern part of Columbia. I am looking to live with other girls in a two or three bedroom apartment.

Anyone looking for roommates?

Burnoutgirl,

Hey, I have a friend, a nursing student at Hunter College who is looking for a roommate in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The apartment is a 5 min walk to the train. You transfer 2 stops away to a D (same platform) and that will take you all the way up to 125th st. When I went on my open house visit to Touro, the trip took me about 45 minutes.

It is a great neighborhood, it's mad chill (especially compared to Manhattan) and it close enough. Trust me. I'm not sure if you are a New Yorker but the commute to and fro is nothing.

The apartment is quite spacious. Newly renovated brownstone, back yard, lots of light, hardwood floors. It's sweet. And the girl who lives there is super cool, knows her way around the city, and works her tail off in her studies (so she is super quiet so you can study too).

Let me know what you think. Her current roommate is moving to Cali soon, so it will be open very soon. I think you will like the place. At least check it out.

Peace,
Andrew

Btw i live in the same building (upstairs). It's a brownstone,3 floors, so each floor is it's own apartment. Apartment is 2br. Very large bedrooms. i think the rent is 800 a person (heat/hot water included). ( It may be be tiny bit cheaper but not sure. my floor is not renovated so i pay a little less than 800, but it is soooo nice downstairs). Great food in the neighborhood. Brooklyn's thriving Chinatown is one block the the east, loads of good latino food one block to the west, and bay ridge is a few blocks south. I sent you a link for the google map street view.

Last edited:
Has anybody looked into housing yet? I am from out of the area but many individuals have recommended that I live in the upper west side or the southern part of Columbia. I am looking to live with other girls in a two or three bedroom apartment.

Anyone looking for roommates?

hey! wanna be roomies? i was looking up apartments the other day and found this baby: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/nfb/1770475475.html

not the best neighboorhood...but super nice apt!

hey! I am actually looking for female roommates too
I am also out of town and I'm wanting to find a place in the upper west side!
Let me know if anyone is interested!