TouroCOM-NY Class of 2015--Official Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsFateHasIt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome, one and all to a future together! Congratulations to the future class of 2015! Let us embark!

:love::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP for a school that is on its way to becoming one of the top DO schools...

COME ON TOURO '15...fill this space with love:love::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is some more love! Even though I haven't been accepted yet. Who else is in the class of 2015?

Oh hey, when this this thread get here?
Well I'm here now. Excited to start August 1st :D

Love here! Will be attending touro this august! :)

I'm in the class of 2014.

Looking forward to meeting many of you next fall. Enjoy your summer.

I'm in the middle of getting all my Touro medical forms completed for starting this fall, and I just found this thread. Hello, Everybody.

btw, if anyone has any questions, i'll throw myself out there to answer them. ask the silly questions you're normally afraid to ask now. You're gonna be doctors now! Time to ask those silly questions.

Congratulations everyone for getting accepting into TUCOM NY. Good news for someone. after a long debate, i decided not to attend Tucom & will be attending a LCME MD school. I'll miss all the cultural events & awesome Chinatown at the big apple. Good luck to everyone.

So did everybody in here vote to have that anatomy class over the summer? what do yall think? Spend your last summer relaxin' or studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
So did everybody in here vote to have that anatomy class over the summer? what do yall think? Spend your last summer relaxin' or studying?

I voted for it. My interviewers asked whether I had taken anatomy yet, and both STRONGLY recommended (and re-recommended) that I take it before matriculating ... if not at Touro, then someplace else. This echoed the advice I've received from 4 close college friends who are docs, and I plan to follow it. I think I saw that the Touro tuition is 1000.00, which is a bit less than my local community college's summer A&P I & II courses, so I guess I'm in.

I voted for it. My interviewers asked whether I had taken anatomy yet, and both STRONGLY recommended (and re-recommended) that I take it before matriculating ... if not at Touro, then someplace else. This echoed the advice I've received from 4 close college friends who are docs, and I plan to follow it. I think I saw that the Touro tuition is 1000.00, which is a bit less than my local community college's summer A&P I & II courses, so I guess I'm in.

I voted for it as well. Although I have taken anatomy before, I don't think I remember much.

Although I have a close friend in her second year of med school who says that she'd rather just enjoy her last month of freedom before heading to med school.

So TouroCOM-NY released the locations they matched to. We don't have a list with the field matched into becaus <insert FERPA reason here>. We're supposed to have in the next month as we figure out for the first time how to do a opt-in vs opt-out system on releasing our graduate information publicly. Here are the matched hospitals though.

Cleveland Clinic (OH)
Mayo Clinic (MN)
Brooke Army Medical Center (TX)
Nassau University Medical Center (NY) x7
Wyckhoff Heights Medical Center (NY)
Eisenhower Army Medical Center (GA)
Aria Health (PA) x3
Danbury Hospital (CT)
St. Michael's Hospital (NJ)
St. John's Episcopal (NY) x4
University of Wisconsin/St. Lukes Milwaulkee x2
Metro Health Hospital (MI)
St. Joseph's Regional (NJ)
United Hospital Systems (WI)
Magnolia Regional Health Center (MS)
Stamford Hospital/Columbia University (CT)
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore (MD)
Indiana University School of Medicine x2
Walter Reed Army Medical Center (D.C.)
Maimonides Medical Center (NY) x4
Baystate Medical Center/Tufts University (MA)
Hofstra/NSLIJ (NY)
Greenwich Hospital (CT)
St. Luke's Roosevelt (NY) x2
Peninsula Hospital (NY) x3
Stony Brook Teaching Hospital (NY)
Maine Medical Center
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital (NY)
St. Barnabus Hospital (NJ) x3
Hospital of St. Raphael (CT)
SUNY Health Science Center/SUNY Downstate (NY) x2
Philadelphia College of Medicine (PA)
St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center (AZ) x2
East Carolina School of Medicine (NC)
Metropolitan Hospital Center (NY)
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center (CA)
Westchester Medical Center (NY)
McMaster University Medical Center (Ontario, Canada)
St. Elizabeth's Medical Center (NY) x2
University of Minnesota Medical School
Downey Regional Medical Center (CA)
Jamaica Hospital (NY)
Univerity at Buffalo School of Medicine (NY)
Jersey City Hospital (NJ)
Good Samaritan Hospital (NY)
St. Peter's University Hospital (NJ)
Columbia Hospital/Palms West Hospital (FL)
Wilson Memorial Regional (NY)
St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital (MI)
Naval Hospital Porsmouth (VA)
TUCOM-CA/Valley Hospital Medical Center (NV)
Pitt County Memorial (NC)
Madigan Army Medical Center (WA)
San Diego Medical Center (CA)
University of California (CA)
William Beaumont Army Medical Center (TX)
Southampton hospital (NY) x2
Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital (MI)
Coney Island Hospital (NY)
Santa Barbara Cottage (CA)
Inova Fairfax Hospital (D.C.)
University of Hawaii
Genesys Regional Medical Center (MI)
Berkshire Medical Center (MA)
Case Western/Metrohealth Medical Center (OH)

Its amusing that we sent the most people, 7, to Nassau, where we don't really have any affiliation. Its just a nice hospital in Long Island.

Good Evening Everyone!

I just found this thread, and will also be a Class of '15 member. I'm really looking forward to meeting and working with all of you, and (quite frankly) have a serious case of "tunnel vision." I'm finishing everything out at work right now, training my replacement and handing my cases over, and I can't stop thinking about school! Let's DO this!

Take Care!!!
-Eric :D

are most people in the facebook group?

I haven't joined that yet

are most people in the facebook group?

I haven't joined that yet

There are about 118 or so in the group. Many are upperclassmen, who contribute useful information about school, places to live, etc. Obed also relays leads he receives about housing opportunities as well as other interesting stuff. It's a very diverse, friendly group.

Does anyone know if the 2nd deposit due in mid May is refundable?

Does anyone know if the 2nd deposit due in mid May is refundable?

For what it's worth, the following was stated in the attachment to the TouroCom Acceptance letter I received on Feb. 9:

"NOTE: All accepted applicants are required to submit two deposits in order to secure a place in the Fall entering class. This includes a $2,000 non-refundable acceptance deposit (payable within two weeks after the date of the Letter of Acceptance) and a $1,000 tuition deposit due by May 16, 2011. These deposits will be fully applied toward your first semester’s tuition. The tuition deposit (1,000) is refundable provided cancellation is made prior to the first day of mandatory orientation. Please return the ‘Response Form’ first, via scan and e-mail or via mail. Upon receipt you will receive an e-mail from Mr. Berrios with instructions on how to complete your enrollment deposit. His contact information is [email protected]

Any refund request must be submitted in writing by registered mail, return receipt. The postmark on your request determines the applicable date for refund calculations. There are absolutely no exceptions to the refund policy."

Good Luck.

I was just accepted last week-- can anybody tell me what anatomy class you're talking about? Is TouroCOM offering a prep course for gross anatomy? If so, where, when, how long, how much, how often, and how awesome.

I'm pumped!

I was just accepted last week-- can anybody tell me what anatomy class you're talking about? Is TouroCOM offering a prep course for gross anatomy? If so, where, when, how long, how much, how often, and how awesome.

I'm pumped!

Congratulations!:thumbup:
You should get an e-mail about it soon, maybe. Go ahead and ask Obed about it. Also ask him about joining the fb group. Its invisible and you need to be invited by him to join. here you go,
----
Introduction to Anatomy is a four week course that is taught by the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine faculty that starts July 5th. This course covers Anatomic terminology and all the systems of the body and their function. By the end of this course you will have a sound foundation of the basic systems and their functions. This course will also provide you with study techniques, and teach you how to answer multiple choice questions. There will be a lab component with demonstration of prosected cadavers and dissecting techniques.. Classes will run Monday to Thursday from 9.00 am to 3.00 pm. You will take a few exams that will not be graded, but are administered to give you an idea as to where you stand with understanding the material that is being presented. You will receive a certificate at the end of the four weeks.
Cost:$1,000

Congratulations!:thumbup:
You should get an e-mail about it soon, maybe. Go ahead and ask Obed about it. Also ask him about joining the fb group. Its invisible and you need to be invited by him to join. here you go,
----
Introduction to Anatomy is a four week course that is taught by the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine faculty that starts July 5th. This course covers Anatomic terminology and all the systems of the body and their function. By the end of this course you will have a sound foundation of the basic systems and their functions. This course will also provide you with study techniques, and teach you how to answer multiple choice questions. There will be a lab component with demonstration of prosected cadavers and dissecting techniques.. Classes will run Monday to Thursday from 9.00 am to 3.00 pm. You will take a few exams that will not be graded, but are administered to give you an idea as to where you stand with understanding the material that is being presented. You will receive a certificate at the end of the four weeks.
Cost:$1,000

Thanks a ton, I'll be giving Obed a call right after work.

Hi,

First, I'd like to thank DocEspana for all his generous input on the TouroCom forums. Next, I was wondering if anyone knows details about orientation. Do we need to bring our laptops that day? Some schools require them on the first day so that they can be set up for classes. Any details would be great. Thanks!

Hey guys,

So I heard there have been some pretty interesting changes to how the school handles its educational curriculum in the first two years. Tell me about them! I'm really curious to hear how this is working out for you guys, since its so different from the format the classes of 2011-2013 (and one year of 2014) went through.

We have itunes podcasts for lectures in physio, OMM, and the half of biochem taught by Binstock. Instead of lectures, we'll have one hour a week of question/answer sessions with iclickers that rarely work.

So far, I like the lectures, and think the q/a is a joke. Additionally, histo lab has been cut down, and now most histo labs will be online, at your leisure, with virtual microscopy.

In return for this information, I humbly ask that you tell me what on earth I should do for histo, because I'm not even clear on what the exams consist of.

In return for this information, I humbly ask that you tell me what on earth I should do for histo, because I'm not even clear on what the exams consist of.

Histo Time. Of course you might not desire to pay the $75 (or whatever it costs now) to get it. There *might* be certain less than legitimate methods most people use to get it. If its hard to get Histo Time, then the next best thing is shotgun histology. Really good program, but not quite as quick and efficient as histo time.

Histo Time. Of course you might not desire to pay the $75 (or whatever it costs now) to get it. There *might* be certain less than legitimate methods most people use to get it. If its hard to get Histo Time, then the next best thing is shotgun histology. Really good program, but not quite as quick and efficient as histo time.

If by 'certain less than legitimate methods' you mean cell phone guy, you are correct. Check it out :whistle:

for those of us applying this summer, what were your guys stats like???