Touro Cali/nyc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think sbomb was one of the few rejected without an inteview to Touro. Just ignore this hypocrite.

no, the funny (sad) thing is that sbomb got in and is holding the place of our friends who are still waitlisted and really want and deserve this.

Members don't see this ad.

I know half of Touro's class was from UC Davis last year. Whereas for USC, the feeder schools into that is UCLA and USC. The GPA average for both schools is pretty much the same ~3.4. But the caliber of students is obviously different. UCLA/USC are much more competitive schools than Davis. The attrition rates for both schools are both pretty low, which possibly means that Touro is an easier school. And even if you are at the top of the class at Touro, you'd be a crappier pharmacist than if you went to USC and felt more challenged to try even harder. I'm not sure how this factors into employment, but I would almost say USC students are better than Touro students on average and employers will probably know this. Any opinions on this?

Wow, it is comment like this that make you a crappy pharmacist and no way can the USC education helps you. I wanted to leave this one alone but it is comment like this that make a fellow bruin feel all crappy. A better GPA does not make a better pharmacist and if you feel that way, I'm guessing that you are either full of it or a hypocrite in order to get pass the application process.

UGH...

IMAO
"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still ******ed"

Members don't see this ad :)
I must admit that I feel pretty horrible being told how people are ashamed of going to UCLA and how it is "sad" that I got into to Touro. I didn't think that I would be put down like this just for expressing an opinion. I guess I'll attempt to refute your arguments one at a time.

For whitedc5:

To me, your logic makes no sense because you are basically basing a pharmacist's skills off of his undergraduate studies rather than his professional studies.

Since the majority of pharmacy school applicants don't have doctorates of any kind yet, the only thing that pharmacy schools use to assess your future performance is from your performance of undergrad studies. Thus, your undergrad studies is a good indication of how well you can perform in professional school. I'm quite sure pharmacy schools take account of what undergrad school you went to (competitiveness, etc.) when they look at your GPA. Sure, it's fair game when you start matriculating in pharmacy school and everyone has a chance to show how good they are, but for someone who went to a more competitive school, they are more prone to try harder and be more challenged. You can choose to challenge this belief also, but I think its harder to get A's in more competitive schools. Thus, a more competitive atmosphere trains you to become a better pharmacist, at least from an academic point of view. Does this mean all UC Davis students are crappier than UCLA/USC students? No, it doesn't. But is it easier to get a 3.4 at UC Davis versus a 3.4 at USC/UCLA/UC Berkeley (with the same major of course)? I would have to say yes. If you disagree, I would like to know why.

For FutureFarmDee:

the only way u can be a crappy pharmacist is if u take your education for granted and dont take advantage of opportunities. yes, all schools can produce equally good pharmacists. why doesn't it happen? because each student uses their education differently. sbomb you are from ucla, does that make you better than all students from uc davis, ucsb, uc riverside, uc irvine, and all the other schools ranked below ucla? are we crappier undergraduates? my dad went to community college and thats it...is he a crappier person than i am?

Academically, if I had the same major as someone from the other schools you mentioned and the same GPA, I would say yes, I would be stronger academically. If this opinion offends you, then you'd have to enlighten me on what is wrong about it. Does that make me a better person? No, it doesn't. But what does that have to do with being a pharmacist?

again, pharmD is a pharmD and if you pass your exam you can be a pharmacist. usc, ucsf are the best schools with best reputations. but if you go there and just study and pass the exam but have no social interaction skills, then yes you can be a crappy pharmacist and employers will see that. when it comes to graduate schools, rankings don't play a big role. i think i made my argument 5 different ways now from all my posts on this thread.

Right...so you agree that USC and UCSF are among the best schools in the nation. But you just don't like my reason of why they are the best. I have no doubt that there are people from USC and UCSF who will make crappy pharmacists because they have no social interaction skills. But for every one person who lacks social skills at USC/USCF, there is another one at the other California schools that I "bashed". Social interaction skills are tested during interviews for all skills. I know UCSF has a really tough interview. And you have to sell yourself for the USC interview. And same for Touro. I think every student who gets into pharmacy school has good communication (both writing and verbal) skills. That being said, your argument about the small instances where students from USC/USCF are bad at communication are not relevant to my argument. Because I'm talking about averages. On average, I'm going to say everyone who goes to a pharmacy skill can communicate well. The only other determinator is grades, what school you went to, and your extracurriculars (which I assume everyone has).

For panbabylon:

no, the funny (sad) thing is that sbomb got in and is holding the place of our friends who are still waitlisted and really want and deserve this.

So because I think USC is a more competitive/better pharm school than Touro makes me not deserve to go? Your comment was completely inappropriate. So if I don't get into any other schools even though Touro isn't my first choice, then I don't get to go to pharmacy school? I have every right to apply to as many pharmacy schools as I want and select the one I want just like any other applicant.

For madchemist2006:

Wow, it is comment like this that make you a crappy pharmacist and no way can the USC education helps you. I wanted to leave this one alone but it is comment like this that make a fellow bruin feel all crappy. A better GPA does not make a better pharmacist and if you feel that way, I'm guessing that you are either full of it or a hypocrite in order to get pass the application process.

I don't see how my opinion would make me a crappy pharmacist. If a better GPA isn't a good indication of the potential of a future pharmacist, then why is GPA so important in the application process. Sure, it's not everything, but it definitely plays a huge role in admissions. I don't see how my opinion makes me a "hypocrite" or being "full of it". That simply doesn't make any sense.

To everyone in general:

I think many of your comments are beyond argumentative to the point of inappropriateness. Not once did I make personal attacks on people on this forum and not once did I express resentment or anger. Those of you who think I don't deserve to have a spot at Touro, that is totally crossing the line. I've worked just as hard as you have to get here. Calling me a "hypocrite" and "full of it" is plain wrong.

If you want to debate me on this further, then I'm up for it. I want to go to the best pharmacy school and be around the most competitive students so I can maximize my own potential as a pharmacist. Since there is a lot of group work involved in pharmacy school, being around the best and brightest doesn't hurt. I merely threw out an opinion which may be right or wrong and to get some cool-headed feedback. But apparently, I have upset many people and I apologize if my opinion wasn't more tactfully phrased. But I certainly do not deserve these personal attacks.

sbomb u have debates going on with multiple members in this thread, so u may have to continue going at it one at a time.

as far as im concerned, the issue between us is about GPA and pharmacy schools that prepare you to be a pharmacist. GPA is not a good indicator of your quality of a pharmacist. surely, you have to have a solid foundation in the academics, which is why touro recommends 3.0 and up, as well as uop (stated in their website) personally, i know students at ucsf who hovered around 3.0 undergrad when they were accepted. they even accept a few students from community colleges! does a 4.0 vs a 3.5 have that much difference when talking about quality of a pharmacist?

who you are as a person has everything to do with being a pharmacist. personality, character, morals, will overtake one's pharmacy gpa anyday in the work field. and also, if gpa was such a HUGE factor for admissions, why doesn't touro just take the top 100 gpas from the best schools and make it their entering class?

i am willing to agree that a bio degree from ucla is more competitive than a bio degree from uc davis, but just remember that other aspects of one's application (work experience, letters of rec, essays) can put an applicant with a 3.5 from davis at the same level with another applicant with a 3.5 from ucla.

as far as im concerned, the issue between us is about GPA and pharmacy schools that prepare you to be a pharmacist. GPA is not a good indicator of your quality of a pharmacist. surely, you have to have a solid foundation in the academics, which is why touro recommends 3.0 and up, as well as uop (stated in their website) personally, i know students at ucsf who hovered around 3.0 undergrad when they were accepted. they even accept a few students from community colleges! does a 4.0 vs a 3.5 have that much difference when talking about quality of a pharmacist?

Curriculum-wise, I have heard that UCSF has one of the toughest of all the California schools. UCSD as well because of classes that pharm students have to take with their med students. I would imagine that the students with the lower GPAs must have very strong extracurriculars to show their ability to succeed in the didactic portion of pharmacy school. I think academics do matter a lot, because it reflects a pharmacist's knowledge and competence in the workplace. As well, it is a good indication of whether pharmacy students can keep up with the program. I have heard that USC loses 10 students every year because they simply can't keep their grades up and USC also has the 3.0 minimum.

who you are as a person has everything to do with being a pharmacist. personality, character, morals, will overtake one's pharmacy gpa anyday in the work field. and also, if gpa was such a HUGE factor for admissions, why doesn't touro just take the top 100 gpas from the best schools and make it their entering class?

I agree that personality, character, and a sense of right and wrong are definitely important for a pharmacist to have and those are definitely looked at during interviews and essays. Equally important is competence, particularly when you're under stress to think quickly when the pharmacy is busy. Competence can be reflected through your pharmacy grades I think since a lot of the coursework entails working knowledge you need as a pharmacist. True, interviews matter for Touro in final decisions. I get the feeling that a solid GPA/competitive school would make your GPA count a higher percentage compared to the interview (I have no evidence for this though). I'm not exactly sure the exact breakdown of how much the interview matters. In the past for USC, it was 50%, but I've heard they made the interview portion 30% from a previous USC post on this forum. I'm not sure how Touro does it, but I would say everything other than your personality, character, and sense of right and wrong counts at least 50% or more in decisions.

i am willing to agree that a bio degree from ucla is more competitive than a bio degree from uc davis, but just remember that other aspects of one's application (work experience, letters of rec, essays) can put an applicant with a 3.5 from davis at the same level with another applicant with a 3.5 from ucla.

Agreed that many aspects are taken account of an application and that a UC Davis applicant can be more competitive than UCLA applicant given the same GPA given more work experience. But by your reasoning, if Touro and USC students were, on average, equally competitive, then that would suggest that USC students have less work experience and extracurriculars than Touro students since the GPA averages are roughly the same but the majority of USC students are from UCLA/USC as opposed to UC Davis from Touro students. That USC pharm students, on average, have less work/pharm/extra curriculars than Touro students doesn't seem to make too much sense. This is also under the assumption (which I'm not sure about) that most pre-pharm people have a biochem or biochem related major.

:bullcrap:

sbomb, of course you have the right to apply to any pharmacy school. you even have the right to call everyone else here future "crappy pharmacists", as this is a free country. just don't expect us to thank you for it. i'm sure that when you graduate, you will also divide patients into being "somewhat crappy", "a little more crappier" etc., according to their status and your unbreakable "logic". i truly feel sorry for them, and that is what makes me sad.

Now that everyone has gotten to speak on this matter, lets bring this thread back on topic...

Now that everyone has gotten to speak on this matter, lets bring this thread back on topic...
I agree! If your goal is to become a pharmacist, any school is fine. Just do your best in school, and be the best pharmacist you can possibly be for yourself and the patients. Everything else is irrelevant. Case closed. Peace:luck:

Now, please allow other students to post their interview results or interview invites on here. We would like to hear some people's good news, and support the rest of them for their journey to become an excellent pharmacist.:D

This post reminds me of what was going through my head when I was a pre-pharmer. I wanted to get into UCSF because UCSF was the top school, so I thought that going to a prestigious school like UC Berkeley and majoring in chemistry would be the way to go. Lol, if you talk to any UC Berkeley student they are absolutely convinced that it is the hardest UC. I don't know, but what I do know is that I stayed in my room most of the time and studied all the time. My dad was a UC Davis alumni, so we had one or two fights about UC Berkeley being the most competitive UC ^_^' I actually only qualified for UCSF, UCSD, and UOP because of the prerequisites. I would have applied to Touro if I could have. Undergrad GPA was just used as a filter to screen out those people that they didn't think could handle the load. Anyway, now that I'm in pharmacy school at UCSF the attitude is totally different than it was in undergrad. At the end of the day, it is the passion for providing optimal therapy for the patients that is most important. In the future, UCSF pharmacists will be working alongside Touro, UOP, Loma Linda, pharmacists and it isn't about who is better anymore, its about working together as a team. The whole thing about a more prestigious UC increasing your chances of getting into a supposedly prestigious pharmacy school isn't all bunk though. The majority of students at UCSF this year came from UC Berkeley, followed by UCSD or UCLA, can't remember. . . Soooooo, yeah, the school you go to doesn't necessarily determine the kind of pharmacist that you will be. It seems as though each school has a certain kind of person that they're looking for; that's a huge factor. So if you look at different pharmacy schools, it isn't that one is better than the other, its just different. UCSF is ranked no. 1 because it has a huge amount of resources, which isn't really an indication of the kind of pharmacists they produce. Anyway, to those who have gotten into Touro, congratulations! It's super exciting to get into pharmacy school :)

i agree 100%

now back to the original point of this thread...for those waiting for interview invites, preparing for interviews, or waiting for decisions, good luck to you all! it is a nervous and exciting time..id be glad to share my insights and advice if anyone asks. Go Touro!

so to those who submitted the supplementad several weeks ago...is it safe to assume that we wont get an interview?

invites are usually recieved within a week after submitting the supplemental.

has anybody recieved an invite after more than 2 weeks of submitting the supplemental app?

thanx!

congrats to those who got in!

i received my interview invite 10 days after my supplemental was sent. u never know, they might put your app on hold for later, they have until feb to take applicants. you can always email the school for status checks. just remember that touro expects 2500-3000 applicants this year, and they're gonna interview about 450...so the earlier you apply the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
i received my interview invite 10 days after my supplemental was sent. u never know, they might put your app on hold for later, they have until feb to take applicants. you can always email the school for status checks. just remember that touro expects 2500-3000 applicants this year, and they're gonna interview about 450...so the earlier you apply the better.

2500-3000 applications?? whoa, did someone in admissions tell you this?

established schools get less than 2000 completed applications ( i think)

i wonder why touro is attracting more applicants?..their requirements are just as rigorous as any other cali school.

^ Yes it is true, and yea it amazes me too. I think Touro's name is only going to get bigger and bigger. :)

their application deadline isnt till februrary...so theres time for more people to apply, i guess

Ok I have a question for those of you who had interviews already.

Were you told at any time during your interview day that you can only have a max of 600 intern hours arranged through Touro count towards the 1500 required hours in order to take the NAPLEX?

I really need to know because this is what my tour guide told us, and to me, 600 hours for a 2+2 program is a bit on the low side... OR am I mistaken and is 600 hours from ANY pharmacy school the cap that the CA Board of Pharmacy has given?

Does anyone know if students at other schools are allowed to have more of their school intern hours count towards the 1500 hours?

Ok I have a question for those of you who had interviews already.

Were you told at any time during your interview day that you can only have a max of 600 intern hours arranged through Touro count towards the 1500 required hours in order to take the NAPLEX?

I really need to know because this is what my tour guide told us, and to me, 600 hours for a 2+2 program is a bit on the low side... OR am I mistaken and is 600 hours from ANY pharmacy school the cap that the CA Board of Pharmacy has given?

Does anyone know if students at other schools are allowed to have more of their school intern hours count towards the 1500 hours?

I'd like to know also. It seems like we'd accumulate a bit more than 600 hrs with 2 yrs worth of rotations!

I talked to someone in admissions that visited UCSD, and I heard the same thing about receiving 3000 applications. I'm assuming that it is because people already have their PharmCAS finished, so they can designate Touro easily? Other schools require supplementals right off the bat (or so it seems), so I'm sure some people just turn in their PharmCAS to see if they can get a supplemental app.

Hello fellow Touro applicants!

Let's make this thread our official information headquarters.

Please post all Touro California questions and news here,

And I hope we'll see each other on Mare Island in September 2008!!!

:luck::luck::luck:

Hello!

Did any of you guys receive an invitation to submit the supplemental application to Touro Vallejo? Also, could anyone share any details about Touro New York: BS, PCAT required?

Thank you for the input!
I got invitation to send my supp. app. 3 months ago , but I am barely working on my supplemental right now and planning to send it next week.

Cogratulations to those who got in.

I'm going for the interview in Jan. Could your guys please tell me how the group interview works? Never had one before. When they ask a question, how do we answer, by volunteering, being assigned order to answer, or ....?

Cogratulations to those who got in.

I'm going for the interview in Jan. Could your guys please tell me how the group interview works? Never had one before. When they ask a question, how do we answer, by volunteering, being assigned order to answer, or ....?

whatever you guys prefer. it really doesnt matter.

hi everyone~ I got my interview invitation last week for the 12/12 interview. I'm in LA now and will fly up to oakland 12/11. Anyone in the same interview? Is the 1: 4 acceptance/interview rate true? :(I'm nervous for the group interview now. Crossing my fingers to get in! should I rent a car or take bas to the school? plz give me some advises~ thax. :luck:

hi everyone~ I got my interview invitation last week for the 12/12 interview. I'm in LA now and will fly up to oakland 12/11. Anyone in the same interview? Is the 1: 4 acceptance/interview rate true? :(I'm nervous for the group interview now. Crossing my fingers to get in! should I rent a car or take bas to the school? plz give me some advises~ thax. :luck:

If you are staying at the Courtyard or Quality Inn, they have shuttles that will take you to the school during the interview days.

The group interview was very relaxing. The interview is about 50 minutes (the last 10 minutes is your opportunity to ask the interviewers questions about the program). Because they are interviewing 5 applicants at once, I tried to keep my answers short and concise. During my interview, there was an applicant who rambled on and on about why he wanted a career in pharmacy.

Because they are interviewing 5 applicants at once, I tried to keep my answers short and concise. During my interview, there was an applicant who rambled on and on about why he wanted a career in pharmacy.

Yea, I had a rambler in my interview too and it was obvious that the interviewers wanted him to shut up because they had to keep cutting him off in the middle of his bragging.

I got my invitation last week too but when I called (Wed) they gave me Jan 10 not Dec. They said that the earliest day they have . I wish if I can have that week. I don't have experience about the group interview. Can some body tell us more specific about that? What airport are you flying from? I'm in OC and will fly to Oakland but haven't decided from LB or John Wayne

I just found out today that Touro did not contact me since October because my $50 check was returned due to a closed account. Anybody who hasn't heard anything should call the school and check!:(

Anybody have hints on the interview? Do they ask questions based on phamcas extracurricularrs? classes? Should you really try to keep your answers short? Thanks!

I'm going to be at the interview, congrats to you

For those who recently interviewed, have you emailed Mr. Davis yet?

Just got an interview invitation dated 11/29, yesterday! I was wondering if anyone knew the interview dates off-hand? I just know 12/6 and 12/12, so far...(wait so they interview on weekdays, not weekends?!?) Thanks!

Yes, they interview thursdays and fridays.

hi,
when did you submit your supplemental?

Just got an interview invitation dated 11/29, yesterday! I was wondering if anyone knew the interview dates off-hand? I just know 12/6 and 12/12, so far...(wait so they interview on weekdays, not weekends?!?) Thanks!

I think the California pharmacy schools are the best. Most difficult, most theoretical, and most like basic science. Pharmacy should be more like PhD in biochemistry in my opinion.

And yes, you should go to UC-Berkeley or Stanford as your undergrad. It is very prestigious, and it should make you feel proud about going there. With no PCAT in California and the only factor being GPA and major, I think one needs to go to UC-Berkeley, UCSD, UCLA, or Stanford to get accepted into UCSD and UCSF. This is because there is no PCAT to show your academic ability outside of your school, major, and grades.

THis is just honestly my opinion. And I am not bashing any other school or pharmacy school. I feel that the California schools of UCSF and UCSD rely on the reputation of the school to determine admissions more than any other of the pharmacy schools in the US. In fact, they prefer research experience. In undergrad, you need to go to a top school to get that type of experience. It is like applying to Scripps research institute in La Jolla for PhD in biochemistry, you need the research experience at a top university. Otherwise you are out of luck.

I think that this is just the reality of the situation over there from these postings that I have read.

I am in a different major, but one prestigious graduate school gave me admission with no financial support for PhD because they claimed despite having a 3.98 and a very high GRE, my undergrad school did not show my ability enough. And that if I wanted funding, I would have to prove myself the first semester over there.

I think the California pharmacy schools are the best. Most difficult, most theoretical, and most like basic science. Pharmacy should be more like PhD in biochemistry in my opinion.

And yes, you should go to UC-Berkeley or Stanford as your undergrad. It is very prestigious, and it should make you feel proud about going there. With no PCAT in California and the only factor being GPA and major, I think one needs to go to UC-Berkeley, UCSD, UCLA, or Stanford to get accepted into UCSD and UCSF. This is because there is no PCAT to show your academic ability outside of your school, major, and grades.

THis is just honestly my opinion. And I am not bashing any other school or pharmacy school. I feel that the California schools of UCSF and UCSD rely on the reputation of the school to determine admissions more than any other of the pharmacy schools in the US. In fact, they prefer research experience. In undergrad, you need to go to a top school to get that type of experience. It is like applying to Scripps research institute in La Jolla for PhD in biochemistry, you need the research experience at a top university. Otherwise you are out of luck.

I think that this is just the reality of the situation over there from these postings that I have read.

I am in a different major, but one prestigious graduate school gave me admission with no financial support for PhD because they claimed despite having a 3.98 and a very high GRE, my undergrad school did not show my ability enough. And that if I wanted funding, I would have to prove myself the first semester over there.

so how does all this relate to Touro? :confused: :rolleyes:

I interviewed on Nov. 22nd and received a email from Mr. Davis...I was accepted, yay:)
But the deposit is so high!!!! I'm still waiting for other schools and debating if i should reserve my seat~
Good luck to everyone:)

congrats! i got in as well!
I interviewed on the 16th though~

Hey, congrats poopoo143 + pharmeea :hardy:. I got medium alternate, which is actually better than what I was expecting, but does anyone know how likely it is that I will be lucky and pulled, or should I just give up and hope for other options?

Hey, congrats poopoo143 + pharmeea :hardy:. I got medium alternate, which is actually better than what I was expecting, but does anyone know how likely it is that I will be lucky and pulled, or should I just give up and hope for other options?

I remember Steven Davis saying that in the past there were times when Touro pulled students from Medium alternate.
Oh and also during your waiting time, remember to keep Steven posted on anything that makes you a more competitive applicant.
Best of luck!

Hi viviapple,

I've the same interview day w/ you on Dec 12. Do you mind i'm asking you if you're girl? If so, could we share the hotel room, bus to go to school & airport? I'm living in orange county & plan to fly on Dec 11. Actually, i'm a little scared to stay alone in hotel. I'm looking for your response ASAP. Thanks

I just confirmed with Julie Lee about going to the Jan. 24 interview. Anyone else going on that day?

Hey guys I have a question.

Does anybody know if you are in higher place if you were placed in high alternate in november than let's say january?

So both people are in high alternate one was placed in november and one on january which one is higher or they both are the same?

Hey guys I have a question.

Does anybody know if you are in higher place if you were placed in high alert in november than let's say january?

So both people are in high alert one was placed in november and one on january which one is higher or they both are the same?

I have a hard time understanding your question. What are you asking exactly? What is high alert? Is that the high-alternate list you are talking about (aka waitlist)?

For those who completed an interview at Touro, do you think i may be able to stop by MARRIOTT hotel to get........the "Evans Airport Shuttle" together with students who are the guests of this hotel.

Thanks

I guess it depends on how competitive the pool of applicants within the high-alternative list. but I don't know if they have a number system to rank you and ranks according to when you were placed on the list, or if it's based on how qualified you are regardless of when they placed you on the alternative list.. it may be best to ask Mr. Davis. I remember him saying that there's a really good chance of getting pulled from the high-alts, so keep your chin up!

I just confirmed with Julie Lee about going to the Jan. 24 interview. Anyone else going on that day?

I will be there. You staying at the Marriott? I may try to find something less expensive and just have the hotel get me a taxi to and from the airport and to and from Touro.