Toledo and Probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepyTyme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cousin did medicine at Toledo and then went to do a fellowship he told me that Toledo's Surgery Program is on Probation. Anesthesia program just got off probation and the Chairman of surgery is abruptly leaving the instituition.

Info From ACGME for Gen Surg at Toledo

Original Accreditation Date: October 31, 1955
Accreditation Status: Probationary Accreditation
Accreditation Effective Date: October 28, 2004
Accredited Program Length: 5 years

Program Format: Standard

Last Site Review Date: October 15, 2003
Cycle Length: 2 years
Next Site Review Date (approximate): December 15, 2006

Members don't see this ad.

and this relates to the anesthesia forum how exactly.... you want a spot there and are trying to scare others away from applying maybe....

I happen to know a little bit more than someone who graduated from the Medicine residency a few months ago... So while the fact that University of Toledo School of Medicine's Chair of Surgery is leaving, they are currently interviewing 4 top-notch candidates for the new Chairman position, of which two are from highly regarded Surgery programs (Stanford...). Further, the Surgery residency program is on probation and is up for another review this upcoming winter. However, the situation in which they were put on probation has been markedly corrected and their Surgery residency now has all the requirements for ACGME residency. Also I have heard from the inside that none of the other general surgeons currently in place have any plans to leave. Also the Ortho and Uro depts are very strong and continue to remain so. Nevertheless, this affects the Anesthesiology Residency little because it is an exceptional institution with a wide variety of surgical cases. The residents complete a good number of regional blocks and are more than competent on completion of the residency. Nevertheless, they place graduates in competitive fellowships (i.e. pain at Michigan) if that's what you so desire. I believe that while the program is small (~5 residents yearly) you get more than adequate teaching and case diversity exposure. And while the surgery program is currently not at its best, there will be new leadership coming shortly that will no doubt take that program in a forward direction. You didn't hear it here but the Chairman of Surgery originally came to Toledo after leaving The Cleveland Clinic Dept of Surgery for "political reasons" and now after a short stay is leaving Toledo for "political reasons". What do the powers of deduction tell you??????

The Chairman to whom you are referring left CCF and then went to Toledo, OH. I have heard that he is incredibly arrogant, operates too quickly, and has a high complication rate. I am guessing he is leaving there for personality reasons, or maybe he used up their ICU budget on his patients.

The concern regarding the surgery program's accreditation is valid but I wouldn't focus on it excessively. If it did lose accreditation then the attendings would have to do their own cases. It is not like surgery would end at Toledo. In fact without surgical residents operating your life may even be better (the cases would go much quicker). :)

Lastly, I wouldn't refer to Pain at Michigan as competitive.