If on probation, how does it affect chances of a fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boriken Gas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my program were to be put on probation. How would that affect my chances of obtaining a fellowship? (ex: pain or etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not as good as a program that is not on probation.

If you want to do a fellowship in cardiac, peds, pain, regional, or CCM you should try to get off probation. Most fellowship programs want candidates who show promise of academic and/or clinical achievement. Being on probation is a huge "red flag" that your clinical and/or academic performance is poor. (Future employers/fellowships will interprete probation as "not going to graduate" or "not going to ever pass boards")

Hopefully, you still have time to show improvement. I would talk to your program director and find out specifically what you need to do to get off probation. Then you should find some mentors (either senior residents or faculty) to help you achieve these goals. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
masseter spasm, I don't think the poster is on probabation...their PROGRAM is.

Depends on what the program is on probation for and if it was a respected anesthesia residency before this-- as long as you can explain it on your interviews, it shouldn't be a huge disadvantage.

I'd bet the average fellowship director wouldn't know that your program is on probation, particularly if it occurred recently. In any case, there's nothing you can do to get your program off probation, and even if you could, it takes months to years for another review. If it were me, I probably wouldn't bring it up unless someone asks you.

It may hurt your chances, but there's literally nothing you can do to mitigate it, other than to be the best candidate you can be. That and maybe include a handful of "safety" programs, if such a thing still exists.

michigangirl: "masseter spasm, I don't think the poster is on probabation...their PROGRAM is."

Sorry about my initial response. I do not think coming from a program on probation necessarily should harm you, if the rest of your paperwork (LOR, application, and CV) demonstrates clinical competence.