To accept a pre-match offer or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlaw06

Just Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Just out of curoisity, how many of you guys out there have interviewed @ places that are NOT participating in the match. Not sure, but I think there are like 20-30 programs not in the match.

And of these, some of them are not interviewing through ERAS but are still "in" the match. What the hell does that mean?

Anyways, for those who have interviewed @ these places, how do you know what to do next. These programs tell you when they will make a decision, but then how do you approach the sensitive issue of whether or not to accept a contract when you still have the match around? Do you take the contract...even IF it is @ a place you MAY not wanna be? Do you risk it and go for the match? Is telling the PDs that they are your #1 choice and stuff still considered PC or no? Do you call them back, and if so, how long after the interview is done that you call them? Should you get one of the GI MDs to call them too?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, but just wanted to see what your thoughts were on places that are not participating in the match and how you guys are handling these issues!

Thanks guys! Good luck on the interview trail!!

Members don't see this ad.

That is a difficult issue...
I think it all depends how competitive you are and how many interviews you are getting.
If the program has all that you are looking for and you would not mind living in the area, I would go ahead.

Is there a list of what programs don't participate?