Tired of Waiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mr. McDuck

Who else is glad that February is only 28 days, and March will be here soon? :D I'm going crazy waiting! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm in the same situation...do you think it will be early March or mid-late March?

God, I hope it's early March. I submitted my application in August. It's been friggin five months already. I don't think I could wait a whole seven without going nuts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am anxious/curious/excited as well. I just retook the MCAT this past Monday (it was rather intense on the PC); I really hope that it will turn out well since the Irish schools need that score. It should be out by the end of February. I still have not had my diploma mailed, or an updated transcript....still not updated by the University.
Oh dear. I hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

So, on the whole, what is everybody up to this semester/next few months??
I feel as though I were in limbo. :oops:

I have an interview on Monday to teach at a surg tech program, so if that goes well, I may do that at least through August (hopefully, I'll be moving to Ireland thereabouts!). Other than that, I've got nothing else going on besides a few classes really.

This weekend, I'm going skiing in VT. Feb 16, I'm going to San Fran for V-Day Weekend and to present a poster.

My birthday's in March, so I'm hoping I get a nice surprise from Dubin.

I have an interview on Monday to teach at a surg tech program, so if that goes well, I may do that at least through August (hopefully, I'll be moving to Ireland thereabouts!). Other than that, I've got nothing else going on besides a few classes really.

This weekend, I'm going skiing in VT. Feb 16, I'm going to San Fran for V-Day Weekend and to present a poster.

My birthday's in March, so I'm hoping I get a nice surprise from Dubin.

Sounds like a plan. :luck:

What about you? Besides the obvious school stuff that your university should have taken care of already, I mean. Was there a problem with your transcript that you had to have them fix, or did they just not post new grades? It's the end of January. They should have taken care of something like that already.

What about you? Besides the obvious school stuff that your university should have taken care of already, I mean. Was there a problem with your transcript that you had to have them fix, or did they just not post new grades? It's the end of January. They should have taken care of something like that already.

Well, they said that within 8 weeks, the updated transcript (featuring graduation acknowledgements/honors) would be sent out. However, it has not been 8 weeks just yet. But I will contact them tomorrow when I am on campus. Because I was preparing for the January MCAT these past few months + helping a visiting family member from far away, I have been taking additional courses in preparation--more Genetics, Biochemistry and Molecular. Now I am just studying for courses, shadowing a physician and hoping to train as a tech in a hospital here--
however, I have put this on hold in light of the MCAT since I do not want to commit myself to a full-time job just in case. I am taking precautionary measures...I will continue prepping until I receive the score.
Other than that, I am enjoying a semester that is a bit lax compared to the past four years. I did contact the ABP about my updated transcript, as I mentioned a while back, and they said that they would make note of the honors I received. anyhow, :luck: and it sounds like you have interesting activites. What courses are you taking??

Yes, waiting to get through February too...I wonder which school typically sends out their responses first? (RCSI, UCC. UCD, Trinity?) Best of luck to all of you:luck: The worst part for me is putting my life on 'hold' right now--can't accept another job offer, can't move to another city or buy a new car (my current car is on its last wheels) until I find out whether or not I'll got in somewhere. Well, hang in there guys and gals!:)

I'm just taking a discrete mathematics course right now. I'm taking another math course as well, but if I get the teaching job, I'm going to drop it and possibly take it over the summer at a CC just so I can take it. I'd much rather teach than take a bunch of courses I don't need--especially if I get into UCD or RCSI. I'm not sure whether to mention it in the interview on Monday or to wait until I find out whether I've been accepted or not. It'd be a shame to blow a great job if I don't even get accepted (knock on wood that that doesn't happen).

I think RCSI is one of the last to send offers, since they are the only school that interviews. I think I read somewhere on here that UCD is one of the first. I hope they send them out bright and early in March so these ants in my pants can settle down. Do they communicate through ABP, or will they send stuff directly to us? Anyone know?

I'm with you guys. I am anxious for the letters to come out. I hope it's sooner rather than later. I have a bunch of plans waiting on whether or not I get accepted somewhere. I was talking to someone the other day who said that the Aussie med schools are on a different schedule and that if I'm not successful this go round to apply to Aus. this summer and then back to Ireland this fall if things still aren't going my way. Is there anyone else thinking of doing this?

I soooo hope experience is worth something for Ireland, because none of the Canadian schools I applied to thought it was. Just MARKS, MARKS, MARKS. I'm getting sick of hearing that my GPA was not competitive enough.

I soooo hope experience is worth something for Ireland, because none of the Canadian schools I applied to thought it was. Just MARKS, MARKS, MARKS. I'm getting sick of hearing that my GPA was not competitive enough.[/QUOTE]

Canada is tough tough tough. One of my family friends got in the second time around; in the end, she was the one to revamp the curriculum at one of the medical schools. There is a course that she, herself started! Anyhow, maybe someone can give you input on the Australia idea. I looked into Australia but it is a tad too far pour moi.

I didn't think about Australia and the difference schedule. That's not a bad idea, but hopefully neither one of us will have to worry about it. :luck: I hope experience counts for something too, because my GPA this semester blew. I got like a 3.4 this semester, dropping my cum down to a 3.81. That sucks ass. My experience is killer though, so hopefully they'll be cool. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well for starters I have no faith that i will get into UCD lolll at all like zero chance i will get in loll. The only thing i might get in and this is like 2% chance that i will get into RCSI I hope :( :luck: anyways good luck hope all of you get in :luck:

It would wonderful if we all got in somewhere....this is the first and last time I will apply to med schools (U.S. and abroad). It has been nerve-wracking to say the least. :( My boyfriend had to apply 3 times before he got into a U.S. med school and it took him 7 years (and one costly Master's degree in Public Health) to finally gain admission. Sorry to sound so 'woe is me' but I guess that's why we're all here on this particular thread? Anyway, I hope everyone has a great day. :thumbup:

Well for starters I have no faith that i will get into UCD lolll at all like zero chance i will get in loll. The only thing i might get in and this is like 2% chance that i will get into RCSI I hope :( :luck: anyways good luck hope all of you get in :luck:

Keep the faith!!! I am sure you will get noticed. My number one is Trinity, and for the most part, any one of the schools would be fantastic. :luck:

I didn't think about Australia and the difference schedule. That's not a bad idea, but hopefully neither one of us will have to worry about it. :luck: I hope experience counts for something too, because my GPA this semester blew. I got like a 3.4 this semester, dropping my cum down to a 3.81. That sucks ass. My experience is killer though, so hopefully they'll be cool. :luck:

A 3.8 is perfect! My cum. is just over a 3.5; I had a rough freshman year that was hard to overcome numerically! Experience is super important. It says more about you compared to grades alone.
Speaking about experience---I know quite a few students who run into medicine blindfolded or sometimes for the wrong reasons, doing some dabbled volunteering as a requirement, but not understanding what lies beneath. :thumbup:

It would wonderful if we all got in somewhere....this is the first and last time I will apply to med schools (U.S. and abroad). It has been nerve-wracking to say the least. :( My boyfriend had to apply 3 times before he got into a U.S. med school and it took him 7 years (and one costly Master's degree in Public Health) to finally gain admission. Sorry to sound so 'woe is me' but I guess that's why we're all here on this particular thread? Anyway, I hope everyone has a great day. :thumbup:

Oh My. I have heard multiple stories like your's. Most of my colleagues that are not in/or are working toward getting in are in a post-bacc or thinking about a master's. best of :luck:
I must say that attending school in Ireland is a very, very costly endeavor!!!! :laugh:

I'm in the same boat as you guys and am also applying to Australia in June. The upside for the Aussie schools is that the application process is a whole lot easier, no essays, no references, just MCAT and gpa.... that does not help much for people like me for whom experience definitely outweighs the gpa.

Does anyone actually know the likelihood of getting in to any of the Irish schools? Or stats of #accepted/#applied?

Whoa, I was the first to reply to this thread yesterday and suddenly I log on and see 18 replies...

We're lucky Australia's on a different schedule so that we can apply AFTER we know our status to NA and Irish schools.....that is, Australia's deadline is in June...

Hey McDuck...my birthday is in March as well! Late March, so hopefully we will have heard good news by then...

What date? I know a lot of people with March b-days. Mine's 18, the day after St. Patty's. :luck:

10 days after yours :D

Haha, that's great. So what does that make you, a Taurus or something? Maybe we'll be able to celebrate each other's b-days in Ireland.

Haha, that's great. So what does that make you, a Taurus or something? Maybe we'll be able to celebrate each other's b-days in Ireland.

That sounds so surreal. Have you considered where you will be living, etc???

I'm hoping to get into UCD, in which case I'll make a valiant effort to get campus housing. If I have to go to RCSI ("have" to :rolleyes: ), I haven't really thought about it yet. What about you?

I'm hoping to get into UCD, in which case I'll make a valiant effort to get campus housing. If I have to go to RCSI ("have" to :rolleyes: ), I haven't really thought about it yet. What about you?

Anything that bears the least bit of resemblance to a convent. :D However, whatever is most affordable. RCSI does sound amazing---from a tech. standpoint; in that case, I would live atop the roof of RCSI. :oops:
I honestly have no idea as to what the prices are these days for rent--apt or other.

Me neither. All I know is UCD reserves a specific number of places for international students on campus. If I get accepted there, I'm applying for housing the same day. I don't want to be running around looking for an apartment.

Anyone know if the financial aid offered is 'enough' to cover tuition costs, housing, etc...I know it certainly won't be cheap to go to school in Ireland, it would probably be comparable to going to a private U.S. medical school. Any reply is appreciated.

Anyone know if the financial aid offered is 'enough' to cover tuition costs, housing, etc...I know it certainly won't be cheap to go to school in Ireland, it would probably be comparable to going to a private U.S. medical school. Any reply is appreciated.

I think that you may borrow up to the cost of your graduate education. I would check out the loan offered by one of the companies listed by the ABP (in addition to Stafford loans). Check out their web site.

Well, coming from America (I don't know about Canada), the Stafford loans only cover like 18 or so grand. Tuition is 27000 euro so, no. Most people take out plus loans or a signature loan. At least, that's what most of my friends and I did for undergrad.

Well, coming from America (I don't know about Canada), the Stafford loans only cover like 18 or so grand. Tuition is 27000 euro so, no. Most people take out plus loans or a signature loan. At least, that's what most of my friends and I did for undergrad.

Yes, that is true...the Stafford's do not cover much. Let me see if I can find the link to the international loan.

http://www.studentloaninternational.com/index.php

That's the one on the ABP website. Sallie Mae also has a global health education loan program for students going abroad to study medicine. It combines the stafford loans and either a plus loan or a private loan, depending on what you prefer. They also have residency loans. I'm not sure what their payback policy is, but the international student loans on the link above gives you like a four-year grace period.

Here's Sallie Mae:

http://www.salliemae.com/international/us_students/ghelp.htm

Barely an Aries. :p Although I once mistakenly considered myself a Pisces for a long time...

Thanks everyone for your replies:) Yes, the Fed Stafford loans (U.S.) don't cover all, just $18,500 or equiv. I will definitely look into the other loans mentioned, thanks Docolive:) Take care everyone!

Does anyone know when TCD sends out acceptances.....Feb? Mar? I am confused.

I applied rather late,...december, and had completed my application end of January...

To say the least, I am very nervous.

Does anyone know when TCD sends out acceptances.....Feb? Mar? I am confused.

I applied rather late,...december, and had completed my application end of January...

To say the least, I am very nervous.

I am worried too. Leori might know when TCD generally sends out acceptances....
Let's hope for the very best! :luck:

Hey gmacpac,
Don't worry about having sent your application in January, the late deadline is actually February 1st, so anything before then is fine. I however, am very nervous seeing as a reference delay is causing my application to still be incomplete. :(

My application was also delayed because of reference letters. According to ABP, Irish schools are used to getting late reference letters, so hopefully things will work out.

One of my fears is that I just dont know what the applicant pool looks like, how many people apply, how many actually get in etc etc.

I am sure there are many competetive applicants.....I just hope I get in.

Good luck to everyone who is suffering with me in this cycle.

I'm also worried about the applicant pool. It kind of sucks not knowing what you're really up against. If there was somewhere we could look to see the average NA applicants, it'd make this process a lot easier (either in a good way or a bad way). We might still have to worry, but at least we'd be worrying for a reason instead of simply out of not knowing.

I can't believe it's only February 4. :mad: :(