Time to consider reapplication: No MD II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClashRoyaleKing

Medical School Applicant
Reaction score
Well, it's almost Thanksgiving, and I still have to receive an II from any MD school. I applied broadly and early, but still nothing. I've included my previous WAMC below and included updates to the WAMC in bold. In addition, I attached my school list below with the current cycle result. Hours are as of right now November 20th, not including projected hours at all.

Feel free to ask any questions for follow-up.

*(Non?) Traditional. I graduated in April 2022. I now have about 1.5 gap years.

* California Resident. Attended private college in Northern CA.

* ORM (?) Caucasian/White

Stats:

* uGPA: 3.84 (AMCAS)
* sGPA: 3.95 (AMCAS)

* MCAT: 509 (129/123/128/129)
* Is the 123 CARS holding my whole application back?
* Scheduled retake in May, 2024 Practice tests were 509 (diagnostic) but poor studying only got my FL to 513. Did not do enough FLs or UWorld for first attempt. Never even heard of Anki until a few months ago.

* Will take the Altus Suite because of the schools I am applying to.
Scored a 4 on Preview and 2nd quartile Casper.

Work/Volunteering

* Now 3000 Hrs complete: Behavioral Health Technician. Lots of clinical experience running treatment groups, assisting medication administration, vitals, progress notes, taking patients to labs, and crisis de-escalation.

* Now 3,000 complete: Assistant Director of a behavioral facility described above. BIG leadership role. Training staff, admissions/discharges from facility, coordinating with psychiatrists information on patients/scheduling evaluations/re-evaluations, discharge planning, coordinating with social workers and other clinicians, meetings with the state and county to ensure regulation adherence. Wrote lots of essays about this experience.

*400 hrs: Emergency Room Volunteer. Restocking items in rooms, wheeling patients to discharge window, pharmacy, to the car, wiping down wheelchairs, bringing patients meals, feeding patients, bringing patients drinks and blankets, assisting nurses by helping guide gurneys, walking visitors to rooms or different areas, wiping down gurneys and making beds.

* 50 hrs: Emergency Room Volunteer Trainer: I trained a new cohort of ER volunteers and taught them the basics of the position and how to assist ED staff.

* 400 hrs: Volunteer at Food closet "Homeless Services Volunteer": I facilitate the homeless that come to our food closet to take showers, obtain a day's worth of food (limits waste/trash), and talk with them about their life experiences/whatever comes up. Wrote lots of essays on this experience.

*Tutor: 40 hours doing college chemistry. 40 hours doing high school. 2000 hours for elementary.

*Research: 300 hrs with public university doing fMRI analysis, ADHD studies and virtual reality. No pubs/presentations.

* Shadowing: 300 hours of Psychiatry from a behavioral health job. 40 hours with Internal Med/PCP. 50 hours Emergency Medicine.

Extracurriculars/Other

* AMSA while in college. Toured medical schools, attending online meetings with current medical students, suture clinic, primary care q and a, physical examination workshop, schools would also do presentations and try to sell on their schools.

* Big golfer, runner, working out.

* Pickleball (100 hrs): Fun activity I picked up during the application cycle to distract myself.

* Type I diabetic. Well-controlled and not a red flag for ADCOMs. A big reason I am going into medicine. In my personal statement.

* My Rubik’s cube solve record is 36 seconds. Can do it in a minute consistently.

* Letters of Rec: 2 science, 1 psychology, 1 MD (self-written for this one), and work supervisor (knows work ethic, leadership, integrity, character). For the upcoming cycle, I will have to swap the MD (psychiatrist) for another psych who knows me since the other no longer works at my job. I also plan to add my emergency room volunteer manager.

*PS themes: Disparity in treatment for low-income/homeless (I have lots of stories). Also tying in how being a type I diabetic has affected me personally and how I believe it would make me a better person.

In the order that I applied to/complete date. The bold indicates schools I plan to reapply to.
Texas A&M (R)
NYMC
Kaiser
Wake (R)
St. Louis (R)
RFU
SKU (R)
Nova

UConn
VTech (R)
UCDavis
OUWB (R)
VCommonwealth
Vermont
Quinnipiac (didn’t submit secondary)

Rutgers Robert Wood (R)
Loma Linda (ties to undergraduate)
UNLV (R)
Albany
MCW
Penn
Wayne

UA Tucson (R)
Tulane (R)
George Washington (R)

Geisinger Commonwealth
Rush
Drexel
UC Irvine (R)
Temple
UWisconsin (R)
Tufts
UNR (ties to state)
TCU (R)

Iowa Carver (R)
Hackensack Meridian (Sad, because I got the "continued interest" email and then no II.)
Indiana (R)
Colorado (R)
Loyola (R)
NEOMED
EVMS

Maryland
Wright State
UC Riverside
Minnesota (ties to state/school)
CUSM
Belmont

In addition, I applied to, but did not submit my secondary for one reason or other...

USC
Toledo
Buffalo
UCLA
UWashington (born/raised in state)
UCSD
U Central M
Oregon

In addition, for the next cycle, I plan to apply to DO schools as well (but mostly only CA/ AZ). I did not apply DO last cycle.

Touro CA
Touro NV
California Health Sciences
AT Still
Midwestern UA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
UNR (since your WAMC said you were in a bordering county)
NYMC
Wake
RFU
SKU
Nova
UCDavis
OUWB (R)
VCommonwealth
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Loma Linda (ties to undergraduate)
Albany
MCW
Wayne
Tulane (R)
George Washington (Hold)
Drexel
Temple
Tufts
TCU
Hackensack Meridian (Sad, because I got the "continued interest" email and then no II.)
Loyola
EVMS
UC Riverside (only if you are from the IE)
CUSM
Belmont

The above are the schools you had a chance at. You applied to many schools that were unrealistic, either due to stats or the fact they admit few OOS residents. The only ties that are usually significant enough are if you graduated from college or high school in that state. The fact you applied to around 45+ schools means your secondaries were likely not the most polished or got turned in late.

The hours that matter for this app cycle were the completed ones as of June/July 2023 that you put down on AMCAS. All the hours since are considered projected, but you seem like you will have enough hours going forward. The 100 hours at the food bank was rather low since most of the schools you are competitive for stats wise are service oriented and expected a couple hundred hours. Rush expects several hundred from applicants usually.

The ER volunteer manager letter will not add anything to your app.

You could also apply to:
Creighton
Western
DMU
PCOM
KCU

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
The above are the schools you had a chance at. You applied to many schools that were unrealistic, either due to stats or the fact they admit few OOS residents. The only ties that are usually significant enough are if you graduated from college or high school in that state. The fact you applied to around 45+ schools means your secondaries were likely not the most polished or got turned in late.

The hours that matter for this app cycle were the completed ones as of June/July 2023 that you put down on AMCAS. All the hours since are considered projected, but you seem like you will have enough hours going forward. The 100 hours at the food bank was rather low since most of the schools you are competitive for stats wise are service oriented and expected a couple hundred hours. Rush expects several hundred from applicants usually.

The ER volunteer manager letter will not add anything to your app.

You could also apply to:
Creighton
Western
DMU
PCOM
KCU
I prewrote all of my secondaries and turned in all within 2 weeks, most of them within 1. I did not feel like the quality of my essays were poor. Yes, I took a shot at quite a bit of schools that might seem out of stat range. A lot of my employment had service in it and I felt like I was able to write about it well in my secondaries. So although the activity might say 100, there is plenty more “service” in my writing and descriptions.

That being said, I’ve accepted the high chance of reapplication and am planning am planning to retake the MCAT. The hours I listed above are current and most of them are still accumulating, although research will probably tick upwards and clinical volunteering and tutoring will tick downwards next semester.

May I ask why no Penn State, Loyola, and UNLV (tier 1 ties to NV)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every school program should have psychiatry and will emphasize behavioral health. To me your application is very clear this is the area where you are accomplished. What I'm not sure is your mission fit. If they all offer what you are looking for, why should they pick you? One of the challenges you have is to show you are teachable and your experiences are of value to their students and faculty. Do you express this humility in your essays that is in line with the culture of the schools that you toured?

It is peculiar your AMSA connections didn't help your application. Your description does not give me a sense you used those opportunities to network and narrow your school list.

I prewrote all of my secondaries and turned in all within 2 weeks, most of them within 1. I did not feel like the quality of my essays were poor. Yes, I took a shot at quite a bit of schools that might seem out of stat range. A lot of my employment had service in it and I felt like I was able to write about it well in my secondaries. So although the activity might say 100, there is plenty more “service” in my writing and descriptions.

That being said, I’ve accepted the high chance of reapplication and am planning am planning to retake the MCAT. The hours I listed above are current and most of them are still accumulating, although research will probably tick upwards and clinical volunteering and tutoring will tick downwards next semester.

All of this may be true but were you able to convey it in your essays? None of us like to read about issues that might be in applications but you asked and people answered. And you are lucky to have your replies from ADCOMS/people that actually work in Admissions. They know what they are talking about and how reviewers are looking at your application. So reread the advice with open eyes and less defensiveness. Nobody is criticizing you . Everyone is trying to help you.
Was the 509 MCAT your only MCAT score?

• Care
A lot of my employment had service in it and I felt like I was able to write about it well in my secondaries. So although the activity might say 100, there is plenty more “service” in my writing and descriptions.
The employment hours were clinical. You cannot really try to extend that to non-clinical volunteering in your community for people you do not have to treat.

You wrote Penn, which is different from Penn State.

You can apply to Penn State and Loyola, which I missed when deleting the schools above and below it. I don’t think UNLV is worth it as they’ll prioritize the few OOS spots for those who previously lived in NV (I assume for a significant time) and those with big ties like attending school there. They have a small class size to begin with.

Hello.
Anticipating having to reapply. I'm a little salty, but that's how the cookie crumbles. Feel free to look through my profile at my WAMC and school list if you want to comment about those, cool. I'm open to any feedback.
Most Recent WAMC

What I did want to share here is what I have worked on since submitting my application and what I plan to do to continue to improve my application in the (VERY LIKELY) event that I have to reapply. Since the submission of my primary in June, I have:

- Completed 150 hours of scribing for one of the psychiatrists I work with. We typically do not utilize scribes, however, with a psychiatrist shortage, he had to see many more patients. I assisted with note-writing under his supervision. No anticipated hours.

- Completed more research with major college. Maybe +200 hours. No publications/posters or anything special, but I did work on analyzing the quality of fMRI imaging, part of clinical assessments during the research process, and assisted with testing devices and logging their information/data/quality before use for subjects.

- Promoted to being a director (+1000 hours, but only 160 anticipated as I wind down to study for the MCAT again) at the psychiatric facility I work at. Big leadership and clinical role.

- Continued volunteering at the emergency department (+150 hrs), Foodbank (+150 hours), and community engagement (+100 hours). Tutor (+250 hrs).

- I am working on finding new specialties to shadow: Neurology, Allergy and Immunology, and Pathology. Applied for an observership program for premedical students.

- I am ramping down my activities because (1) I feel I have sufficient exposure to medicine/shadowing (2) I need time to study for the MCAT.

- Studying for the MCAT. The scheduled retake is in May. Previous score: 509 (129/123/128/129) through content review and UWorld, although, I did not use UWorld very well. Only took FL1 and got a 513 on it in March 2022. I am 100% sure I can improve my CARS and overall score. I will know where I'm at in February/March when I take FL practice exams.

What do you guys think of my reapplication plan/improvements to my application? What would I work on to put myself in the best position for the next cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
"I am 100% sure I can improve my CARS and overall score"
CARS is often the hardest to improve for most, so wishing you the best on that part.
You have a high GPA and decent EC's, just get a higher MCAT and your golden imo.

I don't know how your writing is but nailing mine was a literal game-changer for me. I applied very very broadly - I'm talking 70+ schools, all of which were MD. I've got 13 IIs so far, yet surprisingly, I don't have a single II from a school that I applied early on to. I think that's bc my writing improved during the application cycle, instead of before it.

A lotta ppl slack on secondaries, and that's exactly where I found my strength - and you can too brodie. I'd say I'm pretty similar to you when it comes to MCAT (124 for CARS but great in other sections) and, in some ways, your ECs

"I am 100% sure I can improve my CARS and overall score"
CARS is often the hardest to improve for most, so wishing you the best on that part.
You have a high GPA and decent EC's, just get a higher MCAT and your golden imo.
lol. I didn’t study at all for CARS. 0%. No practice outside of FL1 AAMC. I just winged it, tried my best to relax and I thought I did well. 123. Maybe with practice, some strategy, and some luck I can get a 125-127.

Just looking over your app, there's nothing wrong with it (someone call me out if I missed something), But you just might be at that weird threshold where you have a hard time getting an MD acceptance. You're quite competitive for DO.

Only retake your MCAT if you study your butt off for months. Doing worse is worse than just keeping a 509; a 509 isn't bad, it's just slightly below the average for accepted MD students.

I'll second the above advice- make sure your writing/interviewing don't suck.

Edit: removed my usual "DOs are doctors too" speech since I saw you'ra planning on applying to those next cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just looking over your app, there's nothing wrong with it (someone call me out if I missed something), But you just might be at that weird threshold where you have a hard time getting an MD acceptance. You're quite competitive for DO.

Only retake your MCAT if you study your butt off for months. Doing worse is worse than just keeping a 509; a 509 isn't bad, it's just slightly below the average for accepted MD students.

I'll second the above advice- make sure your writing/interviewing don't suck.

Edit: removed my usual "DOs are doctors too" speech since I saw you'ra planning on applying to those next cycle.
Definitely will abort MCAT retake if I can’t consistently score 514+ on FL exams. It’s a solid score, yes, but I think I have more in me. I had really poor prep (did not use UWorld correctly or ANKI at all) and took the exam during a busy time of the semester when I was in school.

Do you think 123 CARS is holding me back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely will abort MCAT retake if I can’t consistently score 514+ on FL exams. It’s a solid score, yes, but I think I have more in me. I had really poor prep (did not use UWorld correctly or ANKI at all) and took the exam during a busy time of the semester when I was in school.

Do you think 123 CARS is holding me back?
I know that some schools (like Emory) have cutoffs for at least 124 subsection scores. I know that Emory doesn't send 2ndaries if it's lower bc they pre-screen. Not many schools seem to do this tho

I know that some schools (like Emory) have cutoffs for at least 124 subsection scores. I know that Emory doesn't send 2ndaries if it's lower bc they pre-screen. Not many schools seem to do this tho
Same of Georgetown and Creighton. Other schools might not have explicit cutoffs, but I fear that they do look down upon low subsections. I mean, most applicants have 125+ cars, so I don’t think it would be difficult for them to use my 123 against me and dismiss my app. Who knows tho.

Same of Georgetown and Creighton. Other schools might not have explicit cutoffs, but I fear that they do look down upon low subsections. I mean, most applicants have 125+ cars, so I don’t think it would be difficult for them to use my 123 against me and dismiss my app. Who knows tho.
This seems super neurotic. But again, I'm at Mr.Rogers Family Med MD, not Harvard, so maybe the top schools do this

Much more likely to me is that they took the gal with a 526 over your 509 (hey, I didn't even get an interview at Emory, so I'm not throwing shade)

Also, people fail to realize how absurdly hard it is to get into out of state medical schools. I had a 520+ MCAT score, and I didn't get into any fancy schools. I got into 1 out of state MD school that's mid-tier.

This seems super neurotic. But again, I'm at Mr.Rogers Family Med MD, not Harvard, so maybe the top schools do this

Much more likely to me is that they took the gal with a 526 over your 509 (hey, I didn't even get an interview at Emory, so I'm not throwing shade)

Also, people fail to realize how absurdly hard it is to get into out of state medical schools. I had a 520+ MCAT score, and I didn't get into any fancy schools. I got into 1 out of state MD school that's mid-tier.
Is the OOS bias that bad? Most private OOS take 50% or more from OOS.

It's crazy to hear you only had the one A with 520+ MCAT, but that's the reality of it.

It's crazy to hear you only had the one A with 520+ MCAT, but that's the reality of it.
Private schools do but public/state funded schools often prioritize in state

Unfortunately (from what I've seen happen with friends who had strong ties to certain private schools), many of the OOS students at these private schools come with significant ties (i.e. went to undergrad at the institution, did research programs at the institution, etc.). It's very unfair but it is what it is.

OP: As you get closer to preparing your reapplication plan, look over your secondary essays. A lot of these suggestions I have may just be nibbling at the margins, but there are a couple of things I suggest.

Focus on your mission. Your app points heavily to psychiatry as a major interest in medicine (could alienate a bunch of clinical faculty on the committees who prefer their specialties). Without having read your PS or your app materials but drawing from what you put in your WAMC, hone in on your pre-professional strengths and value gained from your experiences with your BHT (your largest experience by hours along with LOR support), ER volunteer (you say you also talk to patients there), and your shelter work (400 hours is fantastic for service orientation) in the next PS draft. While I think it's great you acknowledge the inequities issues, showing us your preprofessional competencies (at least the strongest ones) within the highlights of your W/A should be compelling to get an interview (with a strong mission fit). I mean, I can see service orientation, teamwork, cultural humility, capacity to learn more at minimum this way. I suggest making the essay less focused on the need to help others (?) and more on how you have helped others as a foundation for your medical training. OOTH, if you have had advocacy experience that builds on things you have done to make health access for unhoused individuals, then maybe write about it too in a different secondary.

T1D is a diagnosis. Think about how you have learned to manage the illness as a way to address questions regarding challenges you have had to overcome (as an example... could be Other Impactful Experience or "tell us something we should know about you" too. Think intentionally about how specific parts of your profile could be discussed with a little more depth in the array of secondary essays and likely interview questions you have encountered.

Kill the MCAT, as in shoot for a result that is >10 over your old score. Marginal improvement is anything up to 3 points over so you need to go above and beyond, which you can do if 509 is a start point. Once you get that result, while schools may average scores, ask us again for a school list. Frankly, shoot for 528 on all of your practices, knowing your real score is more likely lower. :)

Do your homework about culture, values, and resources that are most important to you to succeed. How much do students at the schools on your list know about BHT? How many schools focus on clinical experience for unhoused patients, and what specific programs at those specific schools makes you excited to participate? You have the experience of touring schools from your AMSA days, so you need to have a sharper discernment and cut through the marketing BS that we are more than happy to give you.

TL/DR: Yeah, I think your reapp plan seems plausible, but I have additional thoughts.

Last edited:
OP: As you get closer to preparing your reapplication plan, look over your secondary essays. A lot of these suggestions I have may just be nibbling at the margins, but there are a couple of things I suggest.

Focus on your mission. Your app points heavily to psychiatry as a major interest in medicine (could alienate a bunch of clinical faculty on the committees who prefer their specialties). Without having read your PS or your app materials but drawing from what you put in your WAMC, hone in on your pre-professional strengths and value gained from your experiences with your BHT (your largest experience by hours along with LOR support), ER volunteer (you say you also talk to patients there), and your shelter work (400 hours is fantastic for service orientation) in the next PS draft. While I think it's great you acknowledge the inequities issues, showing us your preprofessional competencies (at least the strongest ones) within the highlights of your W/A should be compelling to get an interview (with a strong mission fit). I mean, I can see service orientation, teamwork, cultural humility, capacity to learn more at minimum this way. I suggest making the essay less focused on the need to help others (?) and more on how you have helped others as a foundation for your medical training. OOTH, if you have had advocacy experience that builds on things you have done to make health access for unhoused individuals, then maybe write about it too in a different secondary.

T1D is a diagnosis. Think about how you have learned to manage the illness as a way to address questions regarding challenges you have had to overcome (as an example... could be Other Impactful Experience or "tell us something we should know about you" too. Think intentionally about how specific parts of your profile could be discussed with a little more depth in the array of secondary essays and likely interview questions you have encountered.

Kill the MCAT, as in shoot for a result that is >10 over your old score. Marginal improvement is anything up to 3 points over so you need to go above and beyond, which you can do if 509 is a start point. Once you get that result, while schools may average scores, ask us again for a school list. Frankly, shoot for 528 on all of your practices, knowing your real score is more likely lower. :)

Do your homework about culture, values, and resources that are most important to you to succeed. How much do students at the schools on your list know about BHT? How many schools focus on clinical experience for unhoused patients, and what specific programs at those specific schools makes you excited to participate? You have the experience of touring schools from your AMSA days, so you need to have a sharper discernment and cut through the marketing BS that we are more than happy to give you.

TL/DR: Yeah, I think your reapp plan seems plausible, but I have additional thoughts.
Thanks for the advice. I agree with possibly alienating some adcoms with my focus on psychiatry and the unintentionally overarching helping others vs clinical medicine narrative. I’ll refine my writing and thouroughly examine my writing materials for any weaknesses and areas to add more preprofessional conpentencies.

I have an appointment with the HPSA next week and became a Student Doctor yesterday so hopefully I’ll have more insight into my application with their services offered.

Thanks for the advice!

• Love
Hello.
Anticipating having to reapply. I'm a little salty, but that's how the cookie crumbles. Feel free to look through my profile at my WAMC and school list if you want to comment about those, cool. I'm open to any feedback.
Most Recent WAMC

What I did want to share here is what I have worked on since submitting my application and what I plan to do to continue to improve my application in the (VERY LIKELY) event that I have to reapply. Since the submission of my primary in June, I have:

- Completed 150 hours of scribing for one of the psychiatrists I work with. We typically do not utilize scribes, however, with a psychiatrist shortage, he had to see many more patients. I assisted with note-writing under his supervision. No anticipated hours.

- Completed more research with major college. Maybe +200 hours. No publications/posters or anything special, but I did work on analyzing the quality of fMRI imaging, part of clinical assessments during the research process, and assisted with testing devices and logging their information/data/quality before use for subjects.

- Promoted to being a director (+1000 hours, but only 160 anticipated as I wind down to study for the MCAT again) at the psychiatric facility I work at. Big leadership and clinical role.

- Continued volunteering at the emergency department (+150 hrs), Foodbank (+150 hours), and community engagement (+100 hours). Tutor (+250 hrs).

- I am working on finding new specialties to shadow: Neurology, Allergy and Immunology, and Pathology. Applied for an observership program for premedical students.

- I am ramping down my activities because (1) I feel I have sufficient exposure to medicine/shadowing (2) I need time to study for the MCAT.

- Studying for the MCAT. The scheduled retake is in May. Previous score: 509 (129/123/128/129) through content review and UWorld, although, I did not use UWorld very well. Only took FL1 and got a 513 on it in March 2022. I am 100% sure I can improve my CARS and overall score. I will know where I'm at in February/March when I take FL practice exams.

What do you guys think of my reapplication plan/improvements to my application? What would I work on to put myself in the best position for the next cycle?
Your plan sounds good. Your experience is strong. Your GPA is excellent. Perhaps some of your schools were too ambitious (KP, UCLA, Penn for example), and as you know you need to raise that CARS score and your overall score. I also encourage you to apply DO as well as MD, especially if your MCAT doesn't increase.

In choosing programs, do choose programs that are strong in psychiatry as @Mr.Smile12 suggests, because that is the area you seem most drawn to.

Finally, look critically at your primary and secondary applications. Yes I think the MCAT played a major role in your rejections. However, did your primary application both answer why you want to be a doctor and allow you to show the pre-med competencies? Do you MMES and activity descriptions show you as a contributor with a service orientation who also learns as s/he gives? Do your secondaries show fit with the programs that you applied to? Did you not only show fit but actually answer the questions posed? And do the secondaries build on the primary and add to the reader's knowledge of you?

And whatever you do, don't submit last year's essays in this year's application. You want to show continued growth and maturation, not stagnation.

Finally, while I think you are very smart to be planning for a reapplication until you get an acceptance, realize you can still get an acceptance for this cycle. I have asked many admissions directors when they stop extending interview invitations, and some said end of January. Many said February. And a few said March. The brand new Frist School of Medicine is still accepting applications if you are willing to be in an inaugural class.

I hope you still get an acceptance this cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your plan sounds good. Your experience is strong. Your GPA is excellent. Perhaps some of your schools were too ambitious (KP, UCLA, Penn for example), and as you know you need to raise that CARS score and your overall score. I also encourage you to apply DO as well as MD, especially if your MCAT doesn't increase.

In choosing programs, do choose programs that are strong in psychiatry as @Mr.Smile12 suggests, because that is the area you seem most drawn to.

Finally, look critically at your primary and secondary applications. Yes I think the MCAT played a major role in your rejections. However, did your primary application both answer why you want to be a doctor and allow you to show the pre-med competencies? Do you MMES and activity descriptions show you as a contributor with a service orientation who also learns as s/he gives? Do your secondaries show fit with the programs that you applied to? Did you not only show fit but actually answer the questions posed? And do the secondaries build on the primary and add to the reader's knowledge of you?

And whatever you do, don't submit last year's essays in this year's application. You want to show continued growth and maturation, not stagnation.

Finally, while I think you are very smart to be planning for a reapplication until you get an acceptance, realize you can still get an acceptance for this cycle. I have asked many admissions directors when they stop extending interview invitations, and some said end of January. Many said February. And a few said March. The brand new Frist School of Medicine is still accepting applications if you are willing to be in an inaugural class. (For a sample of those adcom responses, please see Are You Toast? – Med School Admissions Officers Reveal Interview Timeline )

I hope you still get an acceptance this cycle.
Thanks for the advice, Linda. I printed out my application this morning and am examining it to see whether I demonstrated core competencies to be entering a professional program. I feel like I did, but perhaps I missed some important ones. I think I maybe have over focused on psych in my app.

I applied to Belmont and am crossing my fingers for an interview.

Next cycle will include CA, AZ, NV and TN DO schools (location preferences) as well as a more refined school list.

I made a mistake on the school list and said Penn, but it was actually Penn state 💀 Still ambitious on this list.

Thanks for the advice, Linda. I printed out my application this morning and am examining it to see whether I demonstrated core competencies to be entering a professional program. I feel like I did, but perhaps I missed some important ones. I think I maybe have over focused on psych in my app.

I applied to Belmont and am crossing my fingers for an interview.

Next cycle will include CA, AZ, NV and TN DO schools (location preferences) as well as a more refined school list.

I made a mistake on the school list and said Penn, but it was actually Penn state 💀 Still ambitious on this list.
If you don't get in this cycle, I think you are positioning yourself well for a successful reapplication. And as I said in my last message, you are very wise to be planning for reapplication at this point -- while hoping you don't need to do it.

Update: Got an interview from Belmont this evening (1/10). Still continuing with MCAT prep and reapplication planning, however.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Updates to inform those who look back on this thread/are curious where I am at regarding my plan with all the advice in this thread:

* I am studying to retake the MCAT currently and eyeing a mid June date. I have done much better in CARS prep this time around. ANKI is a life saver. I have not forget like anything I have studied.
* I requested re-submission of LORs for next cycle (if I reapply).
* I was waitlisted at Belmont on 2/27, which was only 11 days post interview. Perhaps it gets closer to the 4 weeks as mentioned on their website, I will be re-evaluated and potentially accepted.
* I have received no further interview invites (bummer, but it's ok). I don't anticipate any more because look at the calendar (March 4th).
* My activity hours (non-clinical volunteering and research) have increased. I have done a lot more research, although, no publications/posters.
* I have revised my school list according to suggestions here.
* Most importantly, I AM ENJOYING LIFE. Doing traveling, working a clinical job I enjoy, eating good food. It's important to remember that life is more important than medicine (or applying to medical school...).

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Updates to inform those who look back on this thread/are curious where I am at regarding my plan with all the advice in this thread:

* I am studying to retake the MCAT currently and eyeing a mid June date. I have done much better in CARS prep this time around. ANKI is a life saver. I have not forget like anything I have studied.
* I requested re-submission of LORs for next cycle (if I reapply).
* I was waitlisted at Belmont on 2/27, which was only 11 days post interview. Perhaps it gets closer to the 4 weeks as mentioned on their website, I will be re-evaluated and potentially accepted.
* I have received no further interview invites (bummer, but it's ok). I don't anticipate any more because look at the calendar (March 4th).
* My activity hours (non-clinical volunteering and research) have increased. I have done a lot more research, although, no publications/posters.
* I have revised my school list according to suggestions here.
* Most importantly, I AM ENJOYING LIFE. Doing traveling, working a clinical job I enjoy, eating good food. It's important to remember that life is more important than medicine (or applying to medical school...).
Wishing you the best on your MCAT retake (if you end up retaking it). Obviously hoping you get into Belmont!!!:)

• Love
Man, I'm gonna be pissed if Belmont doesn't take you off that stupid WL. You're such a genuine, funny, and kind person. I always see you cracking jokes, helping out in the WAMC and decide school threads, and it's evident from the experiences you've listed here as well that you are a great person (as much as the 2nd quartile Casper may say otherwise :scared:).I too hope that you don't have to retake the MCAT, but I KNOW you're gonna absolutely kill it if you do.

You're GOATed for this btw

• Love
Man, I'm gonna be pissed if Belmont doesn't take you off that stupid WL. You're such a genuine, funny, and kind person. I always see you cracking jokes, helping out in the WAMC and decide school threads, and it's evident from the experiences you've listed here as well that you are a great person (as much as the 2nd quartile Casper may say otherwise :scared:).I too hope that you don't have to retake the MCAT, but I KNOW you're gonna absolutely kill it if you do.

You're GOATed for this btw

Thanks, Pablo!

• Care
Took AAMC FL1 on Saturday under testing conditions and scored 512 (129/127!/129/127). Testing in 47 days!

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
AAMC FL2 yesterday under testing conditions and scored 514 (131!/125/129/129). Hoping CARS was a fluke because I'm getting 80-90% in the AAMC question packs.

As I approach the final month of studying, is there any threshold MCAT score I should see before I full send in May? Smile suggested 519 to maximize my chances, I'm thinking 514-519 is going to be where I land.

Reactions: 2 users
AAMC FL2 yesterday under testing conditions and scored 514 (131!/125/129/129). Hoping CARS was a fluke because I'm getting 80-90% in the AAMC question packs.

As I approach the final month of studying, is there any threshold MCAT score I should see before I full send in May? Smile suggested 519 to maximize my chances, I'm thinking 514-519 is going to be where I land.
Good job! Proud of you! I had a 509 too with only 2 II this year (1 II --> R last year). The feedback I was offered from my state school last year was to score above their matriculant average (~512) last year, and the rest of my app was fine (and from the looks of it, your app is definitely way better than mine!)

I was able to score 514 this Jan, sent in an update about my new score and got accepted to my state school a few weeks later.

I think if you score 515 and above, you should be good to go (but definitely try to get as high as possible). With a great MCAT score, and what you've been doing, I think you will have an amazing reapplication with a solid chance to T25 schools.

If you want to know more of the specifics of my MCAT score and state school feedback, I would be happy to answer your questions in my DMs.

I've been following your journey on SDN, and wish you the best. Would love to see you succeed and even be my doctor!

Rock on brosephus

512 on FL3, with a breakdown of 129/124/130/129. Disappointed in CARS dropping but not too discouraged. Just aiming for 125+ on CARS. Science subsections consistently 129+ still.

I personally tend to think CARS has the most variability on test day...a lot of it depends on how you feel about the passages you are given. Keep working away at it, you're almost to the end!
Thanks! I’m using the AAMC CARS diagnostic to get more practice and hopeful steal another 2-3 points on test day.