Time to come clean: I just want to make $$$..!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The adcom comment was the biggest piece of troll Ive heard in a long time.
I interviewed and re interviewed and in all schools the "adcoms" were a combination of a junior dean, some professors, and thats about it.
People who give you information (if they are from the represented school) are all just as valid. You should be fine if they say you will be fine
I had a D in my second semester of bio, never retook. My excuse was pretty @$$ too, I said I had pain from a dental issue so I couldn't focus, LOL

just so we're clear: the person isn't on the committee, but they also weren't just any hey-you front desk person either. They went into good details about what I should consider doing, and how the committee will look at this, or that, etc., so again I will repeat, the words weren't just hot air. This person has a titled and is involved in something with the school! take it or leave it. And yeah, I agree -- I will be fine, especially after the things the person said.

And I believe you on not retaking. Someone also commented they got away with just 1 semester of physics

How are these schools just allowing exceptions to THEIR OWN pre-req rules that THEY chose to implement. lol
Every grad school program says "nothing below C's allowed" and here we are with it being okay. I wouldn't have tried so hard if I knew all of this in undergrad. hahah. I could've slept in.

I think one school even takes a C-

Limited demand
Im not trying to put the profession down as much as talk about the prospects but when you really dig deep into the truth about podiatry, investments [ both financial and time] , respect in the hospital, career opportunities you really start asking yourself is it worth it?
Podiatry school classes are really just as difficult as medical school classes but youre getting the short end of the stick when you graduate.
Additionally the average premed matriculates into an MD or DO school.
Hopefully that sheds some light on why they need to lower their standards much lower.
If you go to CSPM or some other schools they claim to "under admit"
this is something I've been wrestling with for a while now. good points!

I think you guys are misunderstanding eachother. They aren’t giving out breaks to anyone. You can’t apply to any schools without less than a C in pre req classes not all science classes. Limited demand or not they aren’t tripping over 1 student. There are no exceptions to the rule. There are people that were denied in a better situation than this such as very high masters GPAs.

The respect this and that is tossed so much and out of 6 different setting and hundreds of doctors I have failed to see any proof of this. I have seen more hate towards some MDs for their attitudes than any podiatrist that does a good job. It’s so over exaggerated on SDN it’s posts like this that scare people from the profession. There’s no “truths” like it’s some mystical creature. Go shadow podiatrist, while you’re look at the things they can afford. I’m not getting onto you but I’m posting this for future reference when future prospects look at this.

you sure? And no doubt, the respect thing is a little over stretched compared to real life. But I'm more concerned with employment opportunity, salaries, and that kind of stuff. with undergrad and grad combined, pod school loans could take me close to almost 300. being able to pay it back, live comfortably, etc, is the primary concern. A doctor's a doctor in the end. The respect thing can go kick rocks. I just want to make some $$$ ;):hardy:

so?

you can have 25 D's. all you need is 2 Bio classes with C or above. Requirement is not that you pass all your science or bio classes but meet at least minimum. Most likely you had other bio classes that made you qualify.

there are two Bio classes in particular that you can't get less than a C in, no? he got a D in one of the two required courses and didn't retake lol

If you can meet your personal goals by taking great care of patients and their feet then more power to ya. I doubt that toenail clipping is really and truly anyone’s lifelong dream and passion but someone’s gotta do it and why not you. My diabetic patients and I will thank you. Do they make you tell a story of foot care related deep internal passion for the app? I guess you could come up with one.

not my passion at all. medicine overall isn't my passion either. I mostly like the prestige & money. But I'll be very professional on the job though. no shady medical fraud nonsense, or awful people skills. And if I can pull in $200K+ just chipping and clipping, I wouldn't give a rats you know what. you can enjoy saving lives and limbs, just send me your diabetic patients, I'll even work on weekends too. I don't have a passion or fetish for feet. just trying to nail down a professional career that pays well and comes with prestige.

I also questioned the OP for only wanting to clip toenails and not do some cool surgical stuff but hey... I know a few people who would trim the hell out of toenails with no complaints for 200k a year.
cool surgical stuff like what? lol I don't know, but I'm just not so crazy for surgery like some of you are, that's all.

Members don't see this ad.

Low stress, won’t trash body, good pay, good gig and people (patients and their pcps) need it. I for one salute you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
no

General bio is a requirement. Any bio class meets that requitement.

wait.... what?? so getting a C in genetics will cancel out a D in Bio I / II? this is news to me, unless I'm misunderstanding your point

wait.... what?? so getting a C in genetics will cancel out a D in Bio I / II? this is news to me, unless I'm misunderstanding your point
yes, exactly.

I don't have bio 1 or bio 2. Not all colleges have general Bio course sequences. Neither I had bio labs. My labs come from Micro, Anatomy, Physiology and other bio classes. They are counted. Any bio class is ok for bio requirement. I had Genetics, Cell Bio, Community Bio, Micro, Immunology, Anatomy and Physiology. For chem and Ochem, the requirements are more specific.

For physics, even astronomy classes count, in fact most classes in physics department would count. Requirements do not specify.

English is the same. You don'
have to retake English I if you failed it, you can take some other writing or literature course.

You can't substitute Ochem with anything though. Some schools take Biochem in place of one semester of Ochem. That's it.

Reactions: 1 user
Last night I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking about CompSci vs. Medicine. I realized, it's hard for me to let medicine go completely because of ego. (1) I just can't take the L on this one. It's like I'm just giving up. (2) I think of all the people I told i would be a doc someday, and to go back and say I changed careers....??? So it's hard to stay away. I kept coming back to it no matter how much I weighed the pros and cons of both fields..!!

Here's a second problem: I took a look at what I owe already on student loans, w/o my grad loans added. If I add my anticipated grad loans, I'll be getting close(r) to 100k territory. So another 250k for pod school and I'm not sure podiatry is going to be a good "investment" down the line, considering realistic salary expectations and limitations of the profession. I stand to be corrected!
if I do follow through w/ my pursuit of medicine, I'm probably going for D.O. school instead.

going forward:

[1] This summer I'll be registering for 2 courses. Orgo and another chem course. The plan is to take 2-3 courses each semester, beginning this summer; strictly sciences. All in addition to my grad classes...!!!

[2] I'm going to apply in August to both pod and D.O. schools. I'll save the rejection letters for motivational purposes!

[3] I started doing some orgo worksheets today at work. I'm trying to get in a position where I can study 12hrs/day. By position I mean, quit being lazy, focus, phone off, etc. I'll aim for 4hrs to start with, then slowly pick up

[4] @ this point, I'll continue up on the career path I'm on, go on with the grad program's career opportunities because it's the only way I can pay for these science classes, app fees, etc. So I'll probably work in the comp sci field as I'm trying to bang out some decent grades for med school.

New GOALS:

- a B or better in ALL science classes & a 512 MCAT..!!!

- 2020 fall start class @ any D.O. school

Best of luck Dr. Phoot.

When you get in, school is gonna take everything you have then turn around and ask for more.

Keep at it.

Reactions: 3 users
If you're having issues getting accepted to pod school, DO school will be even more difficult. Your best bet is to retake all the main science classes that show up on everyones prereq course list and get an A, not B, but an A. You kind of have to start from scratch AND do better than an average 3.0ish student do make up for the lower grades from before. Good luck though.

Hey man

I gotta say if you are weighing one career against another then I would not suggest medicine as a whole. My dad is a residency director and he told me that during residency it really shows who is there for the right reasons and the wrong reasons. What he means by this is that these residents who have delusions of grandeur come out thinking that they should have everything given to them but the truth is that the hustle never truly stops. These guys who think they are going to make $$$ straight out of residency and being able to afford a Porsche right away are crazy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting nice cars and other luxurious items but if you are going into medicine only for the money and not because of other reasons then I would not do it. I mean this speciality and hell even medicine as a whole is delayed gratification. If you are cool with doing nails and being a TFP that’s great but you can spend all that time in a different career with less time and money invested and probably get to six figures. Just to reiterate there’s nothing wrong with wanting to make money and buy expensive stuff but there is probably smarter ways to do that.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey man

I gotta say if you are weighing one career against another then I would not suggest medicine as a whole. My dad is a residency director and he told me that during residency it really shows who is there for the right reasons and the wrong reasons. What he means by this is that these residents who have delusions of grandeur come out thinking that they should have everything given to them but the truth is that the hustle never truly stops. These guys who think they are going to make $$$ straight out of residency and being able to afford a Porsche right away are crazy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting nice cars and other luxurious items but if you are going into medicine only for the money and not because of other reasons then I would not do it. I mean this speciality and hell even medicine as a whole is delayed gratification. If you are cool with doing nails and being a TFP that’s great but you can spend all that time in a different career with less time and money invested and probably get to six figures. Just to reiterate there’s nothing wrong with wanting to make money and buy expensive stuff but there is probably smarter ways to do that.

I 110% agree with what you are saying....BUT....

Those other paths to making six figures you mentioned, would require a full on different degree. We would have to go BACK to a 4 year univ to get an engineering or computer science degree, and then start from the bottom after school at the 60kish range and work for 10 years before you hit the six figure mark. For anything in the financial sector, we would also have to restart from college too. At this point, for all of us who already have bio/chem degrees. It just makes more sense to push through. It's kind of too late to pursue other paths unless you want to start over. There's not many opportunities for people with just a bio BS/BA. We'd have to do a masters and then a Ph.d. At that point, we might as well just finish med/pod/dental/pharm school and get it over with.

Those other paths to making six figures you mentioned, would require a full on different degree. We would have to go BACK to a 4 year univ to get an engineering or computer science degree, and then start from the bottom after school at the 60kish range and work for 10 years before you hit the six figure mark. For anything in the financial sector, we would also have to restart from college too. At this point, for all of us who already have bio/chem degrees. It just makes more sense to push through. It's kind of too late to pursue other paths unless you want to start over. There's not many opportunities for people with just a bio BS/BA. We'd have to do a masters and then a Ph.d. At that point, we might as well just finish med/pod/dental/pharm school and get it over with.

I totally agree I actually thought he got a degree in something other then the hard sciences. I apologize for misreading, it is St.Patricks Day after all haha. But you can also get jobs with a chem/bio whatever science degree in the healthcare sector working for companies that provide for surgeons such as quality control and instruments. Right off the bat I can think of a dozen people who did this in college and started working for big companies such as Boston Scientific, Stryker and Steris among others. Hell my dad’s rep was a bio major in college and had the grades for medical school and decided to work on the business end instead working for one of these big companies. I think people are scared of the great unknown when they decide not to do medicine or some professional career they were dreaming of because that’s all they wanted to be. But I totally can see where you are coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)

There are so many other health professions that don't require 4 years of rigorous study followed by a multi-year residency where you make minimal money working a ton.. NP programs, Anesthesiology Assistant, Pharmacy, PT, Optometry, perfusionist, speech therapy, Occupational therapy, etc

There are so many other health professions that don't require 4 years of rigorous study followed by a multi-year residency where you make minimal money working a ton.. NP programs, Anesthesiology Assistant, Pharmacy, PT, Optometry, perfusionist, speech therapy, Occupational therapy, etc

You can do this also! These professions are all great! The thing is phoot is that you are just putting all this time in just to cut nails and not do anything else. Nursing homes can be and are depressing as heck and I think a vast majority of people that put 7 years into a tedious medical education would not be willing to chip and clip day in day out...All for nails. I know I would not be able to and this field just offers a lot more than just slaving away everyday on nails and callouses.

In all seriousness Dr. Phoot no you’re not a scumbag for having desires for flashy cars, watches, etc. you’re a scumbag for not wanting the 1975 Porsche 911 turbo with a manual. SAD!
loll

Doesn’t contradict what I told him ‍♂️. No shame in wanting nice things I just don’t think medicine is the best way to reach his goals if he thinks he’s immediately pulling in 200k+ especially clipping nails in a home healthcare/nursing home setting.

Doesn’t contradict what I told him ‍♂️. No shame in wanting nice things I just don’t think medicine is the best way to reach his goals if he thinks he’s immediately pulling in 200k+ especially clipping nails in a home healthcare/nursing home setting.
I completely agree with you. I just thought the Porsche turbo comment was funny:)

@DexterMorganSK

Odds are I'll be a re-applicant.

I'm not sure about my #s but:

cGPA: 1.7 (remember nothing is forgiven. I have many retakes; my school takes an average of repeated courses & that was even calculated as a 2.2)

sGPA: 1.5 (long story; repeats, registered and didn't attend, F grades)

gradGPA: currently @ a 3.5, expecting to finish with a 3.8+ (not very hard science intensive)

anticipated MCAT: 497; pulling mid-high 480s on practice (I just want it to be over w/ honestly)

target school(s): Kent, Barry, *NYCPM

I'm applying fall 2018, then hopefully I can ask about why j was rejected, what I can do to improve, and then try again in 2019.

Here's the catch though:
Between now and by the time applications close, I can squeeze in quite a decent amount of upper level hard science classes and actually nail decent grades. I explained some stuff in my p/s too. So if I can just land an interview, I can get in.

I think w/o hesitation I'll jump on a pod school acceptance. Im not too gung go for MD/DO either so it wouldn't be like I settled. Pod for me would be like an arranged marriage where I meet the bride on my wedding day and she's <insert the hottest girl you can think of here>!!

Just made some mistakes as a teen. No cry baby stuff though. I was fully aware of what I was doing and I own up to it.

Or... maybe it just wasn't meant to be?
Hi, Where did you go for your Grad school and what program you did?

Not really. You do not have to go back to school.
I am a bioengineering major, I went to a software boot camp (there are two great ones among many in the bay area) and signed over for 100k + bonuses etc within 3.5 months of dropping out of podiatry school. I actually started preparing remotely when I started losing motivation to study for my embryo exam.
The cost of these bootcamps ranges from 6-20 k (20 k being the best bootcamp with like a 97% placement rate in salaries of more than 100 k)

Now lets say you want a degree. One example would be university of Syracuse or Georgia tech Online masters- computer science (tuition being 47 k and 5k respectively), you become a masters student in 1.5 years with dedication, and they require NO prior experience. The cooler part is you can expect 20-30 k more in income.

The cost of the bay area living is insane, I know I know I know.
15% of my class from coding camp works remotely for 85k or more (starting)

ultimately software isnt what I want to do, being a podiatrist wasnt either so I am switching to medical sales with a device company in houston that pays 70 k for 2 years of training and then between 100-200 k based on performance. Becoming a medical sales rep is something anyone, anyone can do. Most of these guys have communications degrees.

Finally, if you work hard for a year or so, studying to work at a software unicorn company like google, uber, airbnb, apple, facebook, etc is much like studying for an MCAT exam. Your salary potentials are (Quoted from reddit)170-200k total comp at L3 250k total comp as L4 (which takes about 1-2 years after joining as a new grad, so age 23-24), 300-350 as L5 (add another 2-3 years on to that) 500-600ish at L6 (add 3-5 years to that) 800+ as L7 (many people don't ever get here tho) 1M+ as L8

PS My point of reiterating this isnt to start a beef with podiatry but just make sure no one feels trapped because of their bio major. I too was in that situation where I thought i could only be a lab tech or highschool biology teacher until I actually dove into the job search a bit

Last edited:
While there is certainly a lot to like about Podiatry, I think the best gig right now for money is the Nurse anesthesia route. It’s 4 year of nursing school, then two years of Masters and they make 150-250k/year. I think that’s pretty sweet, only outdone by maybe dentists.

While there is certainly a lot to like about Podiatry, I think the best gig right now for money is the Nurse anesthesia route. It’s 4 year of nursing school, then two years of Masters and they make 150-250k/year. I think that’s pretty sweet, only outdone by maybe dentists.

I think they have to work as an RN for a some years, maybe a year, before they can apply for higher level nursing masters. But still, 7 years is still shorter than 11 for us. lol

They have to work 2 years ICU and it’s also hard to get into the ICU and there’s usually a waitlist because that’s everyone route. Tuition is 70ish k a year. It sounds great but I know about 10 nurses from college trying to go that route and only 1 that’s in ICU so far. Then you also gotta get accepted which may take more than one app cycle. It’s more like 125k to maybe 200k. I know a few personally. Add it all together and it could take you 7-8 years or 15+. Depends. it’s pretty close to pod.

Reactions: 2 users
They have to work 2 years ICU and it’s also hard to get into the ICU and there’s usually a waitlist because that’s everyone route. Tuition is 70ish k a year. It sounds great but I know about 10 nurses from college trying to go that route and only 1 that’s in ICU so far. Then you also gotta get accepted which may take more than one app cycle. It’s more like 125k to maybe 200k. I know a few personally. Add it all together and it could take you 7-8 years or 15+. Depends. it’s pretty close to pod.
Literally every nurse I know says they wanna go this route

Thats why I recommended medical sales.
If you have half a brain you make atleast 100k with most averaging in the 150 k range 2017 Medical Sales Salary Report | Medical-Sales-Careers
No true prior experience required .
The top 20% make more than 250k a year

I think they have to work as an RN for a some years, maybe a year, before they can apply for higher level nursing masters. But still, 7 years is still shorter than 11 for us. lol
You have to work for several years in ICU.

To get in ICU without experience right from college is extremely hard.

Even with good grades and ICU experience it's hard to get into Nurse Anesthesia program. The whole process is longer and more challenging than getting into a DO school

Medical sales / sales in general takes a specific type of person Im def not that person lol. But more power to anyone who is
Agree, plus it's not a profession. For most it's only a temporary job. After which you have no valuable experience.

I wrote similar comment before I read your post. What you say is exactly right.

My sister is a nurse. I have worked along side a nurse manager in a large hospital managing 125 nursing staff and I know how hard it is to get into ICU and and how hard to get into nurse anesthesia.

In fact, nurse manager I worked with, also applied several times and could not get in so she became a nurse manager.

I am sure getting into DO is easier than going with CRNA route.

Literally every nurse I know says they wanna go this route
My sister wanted to go into women's health or midwifery. She started FNP. Which I think is also a good option with better pay and better schedule than a regular nurse.

Agree, plus it's not a profession. For most it's only a temporary job. After which you have no valuable experience.

People change from one company to another every few years as quotas go up but it is most definitely a profession and requires years of experience to climb the ladder. There is a reason they have levels of seniority, Associate, mid level, Representative, Senior Rep, Territory Manager, Regional Manager.
The top dog for eastern US makes 1.9 million dollars as a representative , not even a manager. Call it what ever you want, but many people do it for years on end, and the exit opportunities are fantastic.
People enter software sales from medical sales and make more than 300k starting

There is something to be said for not being coughed on.

Low stress, won’t trash body, good pay, good gig and people (patients and their pcps) need it. I for one salute you.

People change from one company to another every few years as quotas go up but it is most definitely a profession and requires years of experience to climb the ladder. There is a reason they have levels of seniority, Associate, mid level, Representative, Senior Rep, Territory Manager, Regional Manager.
The top dog for eastern US makes 1.9 million dollars as a representative , not even a manager. Call it what ever you want, but many people do it for years on end, and the exit opportunities are fantastic.
People enter software sales from medical sales and make more than 300k starting

While that's all true, those guys probably have long standing relationships with docs or hospitals or MSG's and get recurring sales. The healthcare field only needs so many salesman. lol
Once a purchaser forms a good relationship with his sales rep, most of the other sales reps are SOL. The doc will just keep going back to his homie.

While that's all true, those guys probably have long standing relationships with docs or hospitals or MSG's and get recurring sales. The healthcare field only needs so many salesman. lol
Once a purchaser forms a good relationship with his sales rep, most of the other sales reps are SOL. The doc will just keep going back to his homie.

That is the excitement in sales.
There are hundreds of doctors and you work to your strengths to increase your sales. I applied for surgical robotics, its a non-competition product and surgeons who refuse to change usually end up losing business to the people you were able to get your foot in the door with .

Hi, Where did you go for your Grad school and what program you did?
have to protect myself. sorry. But the program wasn't hard to get into (so if you're wondering how someone with low undergrad stats got into a masters, theres the reason). the school is in the north east with the option to do the program online. My program isn't very heavy science based. it's more in the real of healthcare administration. Any particular reason(s) why you asked? (not mad or anything; just curious)

He is not going to say.
;) you know me well, Papa!

Hey man

hold on... I did mention I wasn't expecting to start making bank right away. some time would be needed to settle myself. and if I didn't mention it, I'm sorry. weighing one career against another is by no means a reason to cross off medicine. it's something you really can't help but do. think about it. you're paying money for the program, you need to factor in what you'll make back.

Also, notice you said "PROBABLY get to six figures"?? it's hard out here, man. I'll write an update for y'all. medicine really is about one of the few GUARANTEED 6 figured jobs. prove me wrong. I'll post job searches, salaries from glassdoor, indeed, monster, google, and we can do a comparison if you like. It's hard out there! very few jobs will even sniff fam med salary. and even that's 10+ years of experience! there's no guarantee for those. medicine is a guarantee!

this is an easy fix and the least of my worries, if it's even a worry. instead of getting another bachelors, just get a masters. there are plenty of programs that tailor to students whose undergrad background is not in the field they're pursuing a masters in. I've looked into computer science masters and found several that will accept me without a CS background. this is definitely an option im considering.

Not really. You do not have to go back to school.
I am a bioengineering major, I went to a software boot camp (there are two great ones among many in the bay area) and signed over for 100k + bonuses etc within 3.5 months of dropping out of podiatry school. I actually started preparing remotely when I started losing motivation to study for my embryo exam.
The cost of these bootcamps ranges from 6-20 k (20 k being the best bootcamp with like a 97% placement rate in salaries of more than 100 k)

Now lets say you want a degree. One example would be university of Syracuse or Georgia tech Online masters- computer science (tuition being 47 k and 5k respectively), you become a masters student in 1.5 years with dedication, and they require NO prior experience. The cooler part is you can expect 20-30 k more in income.

The cost of the bay area living is insane, I know I know I know.
15% of my class from coding camp works remotely for 85k or more (starting)

ultimately software isnt what I want to do, being a podiatrist wasnt either so I am switching to medical sales with a device company in houston that pays 70 k for 2 years of training and then between 100-200 k based on performance. Becoming a medical sales rep is something anyone, anyone can do. Most of these guys have communications degrees.

Finally, if you work hard for a year or so, studying to work at a software unicorn company like google, uber, airbnb, apple, facebook, etc is much like studying for an MCAT exam. Your salary potentials are (Quoted from reddit)170-200k total comp at L3 250k total comp as L4 (which takes about 1-2 years after joining as a new grad, so age 23-24), 300-350 as L5 (add another 2-3 years on to that) 500-600ish at L6 (add 3-5 years to that) 800+ as L7 (many people don't ever get here tho) 1M+ as L8

PS My point of reiterating this isnt to start a beef with podiatry but just make sure no one feels trapped because of their bio major. I too was in that situation where I thought i could only be a lab tech or highschool biology teacher until I actually dove into the job search a bit

I disagree with SOME of your points. 100k in Cali is nothing. so I'm not even moved by that. what would that salary really be in another location? and that brings me back to my point about GUARANTEED 6 figure income.

Also, there's really no prestige in the route you're going. medicine has prestige. A CS degree is also a good credential to have / add to your education. it's more "proper" for me, than to go through a coding bootcamp and take whatever job I can get. I know the bootcamp grads make 6 figures but my equation doesn't only have money in it. prestige and professionalism counts for me too. I don't see myself in that laid back chilled IT culture where they're wearing hoodies, jeans, sneakers, writing code, drinking monster. I would prefer to go the CS route, get into something more "professional" like a healthcare administrator that deals with tech, I would prefer govt, academia. just a more professional setting vs. the chilled laid back bootcamp stuff. If I can't wear a suit and tie to work, I'm not sure my soul will allow me to sleep at night. money is HUGE, so is prestige / professionalism (FOR ME, of course). I can't do commission based work. if I'm not guaranteed my money, i'll always be concerned about what's going to happen to me. which brings up point #3 -- job security! The sales gig doesn't sound that secure

and I've looked into the 2 programs you're suggesting. I like the Georgia one. It might be tough to get in though, but we'll see.

I disagree with SOME of your points. 100k in Cali is nothing. so I'm not even moved by that. what would that salary really be in another location? and that brings me back to my point about GUARANTEED 6 figure income.

Also, there's really no prestige in the route you're going. medicine has prestige. A CS degree is also a good credential to have / add to your education. it's more "proper" for me, than to go through a coding bootcamp and take whatever job I can get. I know the bootcamp grads make 6 figures but my equation doesn't only have money in it. prestige and professionalism counts for me too. I don't see myself in that laid back chilled IT culture where they're wearing hoodies, jeans, sneakers, writing code, drinking monster. I would prefer to go the CS route, get into something more "professional" like a healthcare administrator that deals with tech, I would prefer govt, academia. just a more professional setting vs. the chilled laid back bootcamp stuff. If I can't wear a suit and tie to work, I'm not sure my soul will allow me to sleep at night. money is HUGE, so is prestige / professionalism (FOR ME, of course). I can't do commission based work. if I'm not guaranteed my money, i'll always be concerned about what's going to happen to me. which brings up point #3 -- job security! The sales gig doesn't sound that secure

and I've looked into the 2 programs you're suggesting. I like the Georgia one. It might be tough to get in though, but we'll see.

There are plenty of healthcare based software companies in the bay area... Genetech and 23andMe are two huge ones.
100 k in the bay area isnt a whole lot but you can live in the fanciest 1 bedroom apartment and still save 30 k a year.
Keep in mind that is a entry level income (and to be quite honest 100 k is low) most of my friends with a degree title started at 120-130 k.
Mid career you can expect at least 250k in total compensation if not more.
250 k goes a long way in the bay area.

Wearing a suit to work... you can wear what ever you want. If a suit is what youre interested in without looking out of place you could join a financial company. My dad's friend works for citi bank and the dress code is at least business to high end formal.
Prestige is typically going to go to who has the most impressive track record. Quite frankly no one looks up to a podiatrist except podiatry students . Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Bill gates, Mark Zuckerberg, even the smaller guys who have taken over (Satya Nadella) are world recognized idols.

I think doctors have a huge impact with the way they handle saving lives and some more than others. But I did not get that prestige outcome when I saw my podiatrist trimming nails for 150k a year. If anything I would find it insulting that my friends who only went to college for 4 years are making more as engineers than I would have in 4+ 3 years of podiatry training

Gotta say the title of this post is pretty misleading too. If you just want to make $$$, medical school is rarely the way to do it.

There are plenty of healthcare based software companies in the bay area... Genetech and 23andMe are two huge ones.
100 k in the bay area isnt a whole lot but you can live in the fanciest 1 bedroom apartment and still save 30 k a year.
Keep in mind that is a entry level income (and to be quite honest 100 k is low) most of my friends with a degree title started at 120-130 k.
Mid career you can expect at least 250k in total compensation if not more.
250 k goes a long way in the bay area.

Wearing a suit to work... you can wear what ever you want. If a suit is what youre interested in without looking out of place you could join a financial company. My dad's friend works for citi bank and the dress code is at least business to high end formal.
Prestige is typically going to go to who has the most impressive track record. Quite frankly no one looks up to a podiatrist except podiatry students . Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Bill gates, Mark Zuckerberg, even the smaller guys who have taken over (Satya Nadella) are world recognized idols.

I think doctors have a huge impact with the way they handle saving lives and some more than others. But I did not get that prestige outcome when I saw my podiatrist trimming nails for 150k a year. If anything I would find it insulting that my friends who only went to college for 4 years are making more as engineers than I would have in 4+ 3 years of podiatry training

Gotta say the title of this post is pretty misleading too. If you just want to make $$$, medical school is rarely the way to do it.

keep bringing up Cali as a whole. Anything below 300k in Cali & don't talk to me, man. seriously. 100k in Cali is not worth relocating for. No thanks.

Yeah, prestige in part has to do with how you carry yourself, but presentation (how you're dressed) is part of how you carry yourself too. the names you listed aren't "prestigious" or associated with prestige. They're really just rich and well known, for something good they created. you also left off that they're outliers & exceptions, not the rule or the norm! for normal people everyone still takes their hat off to doctors. podiatry is just podiatry, but you know what, they can still say they're doctors and there's a shot to hit $200k+ income!

clipping nails as doctor XYZ just has a better respect to it than writing code as employee XYZ. that 150K at least is basically a guarantee in places not even close to Cali in terms of COL. so I don't think that sounds so bad.

med school is not the route to go to make money?

Look at this:

salary for pathologist:
302,610 USD

what other career offers those #s right out of training?

man, screw that. you had a golden ticket with podiatry and you blew it. shouldn't have left your program. should have just grinded it out. you would be making serious paper after residency. visit 4 - 8 nursing homes throughout the week, the rest of the time you can chill. i shouldn't have screwed up back in college!! if only i can do things over

California isnt expensive all over, I dont know why this is so hard for you to understand.
There are plenty of counties in LA which pay 150 k salaries and rent out 1 bedrooms at 1400 bucks a month

Idk what to tell you if you think prestige isnt being good at what you created, yet you think a suit is. Bill gates is a philanthropist who has literally changed the world, so are the other guys I listed. In a much larger global outreach than any podiatrist will get to.

You dont even need to be that big. If you work hard you can get into a google management position. My uncle works for Microsoft, only has 20 employees under him, makes 500 k a year and gets 3-4 weeks a year and about a million in charity funds to go to social service projects

Quite honestly 200 k is a decent salary for podiatry, its towards the top 25%. The average podiatrist will stay around 180 k for life. There is a friendly podiatrist in this forum who has basically been making 190 k with his bonuses for a long time now and not much progress.
Like I said if you want to live in the middle of no where, then there may be other ways to do it. I personally love the California life style and absolutely hated the midwest. What am I going to do with a 10 bedroom house? But thats personal preference. Should I chose to leave I can always pick up a remote developer job and live in Guam if I wanted to for 150 k a year.

A pathologist has to go through an MD/DO program which is difficult to get into, spend 4 years in medical school, and 4-5 years in residency making squat.
Assuming someone is accepted directly into medical school after college, which is not the norm, youre looking at being around 30 years old or older to make 300 k. You need to incorporate the average debt + the opportunity cost of not making money for a long time.

In 10 years if I dont clown around on my job, I can expect an income of atleast 250k if not more.
I didnt blow anything with podiatry, and if you think serious paper is 150 k good luck to you sir. The podiatrists making more than 250 k are on high end exceptions and not the rule. They also take a few years to come up to that number unless they were all stars in podiatry school.

As for the sales rep job Im pursuing, this is my 10 year prospects. .. Intuitive Surgical Senior Clinical Sales Representative Salaries | Glassdoor

Last edited:
California isnt expensive all over, I dont know why this is so hard for you to understand.
There are plenty of counties in LA which pay 150 k salaries and rent out 1 bedrooms at 1400 bucks a month

Idk what to tell you if you think prestige isnt being good at what you created, yet you think a suit is. Bill gates is a philanthropist who has literally changed the world, so are the other guys I listed. In a much larger global outreach than any podiatrist will get to.

You dont even need to be that big. If you work hard you can get into a google management position. My uncle works for Microsoft, only has 20 employees under him, makes 500 k a year and gets 3-4 weeks a year and about a million in charity funds to go to social service projects

Quite honestly 200 k is a decent salary for podiatry, its towards the top 25%. The average podiatrist will stay around 180 k for life. There is a friendly podiatrist in this forum who has basically been making 190 k with his bonuses for a long time now and not much progress.
Like I said if you want to live in the middle of no where, then there may be other ways to do it. I personally love the California life style and absolutely hated the midwest. What am I going to do with a 10 bedroom house? But thats personal preference. Should I chose to leave I can always pick up a remote developer job and live in Guam if I wanted to for 150 k a year.

A pathologist has to go through an MD/DO program which is difficult to get into, spend 4 years in medical school, and 4-5 years in residency making squat.
Assuming someone is accepted directly into medical school after college, which is not the norm, youre looking at being around 30 years old or older to make 300 k. You need to incorporate the average debt + the opportunity cost of not making money for a long time.

In 10 years if I dont clown around on my job, I can expect an income of atleast 250k if not more.
I didnt blow anything with podiatry, and if you think serious paper is 150 k good luck to you sir. The podiatrists making more than 250 k are on high end exceptions and not the rule. They also take a few years to come up to that number unless they were all stars in podiatry school.

As for the sales rep job Im pursuing, this is my 10 year prospects. .. Intuitive Surgical Senior Clinical Sales Representative Salaries | Glassdoor
I did door to door sales for a summer and it was freakin brutal. Such hard work, and so hard going days being rejected without making a sale. Its totally different than medical device sales, but sales in general is a tough gig. I did well though, and you definitely can succeed, but I feel like you almost have to have the sales "gene." You gotta have that personality, and be a closer, and be super self motivated and driven. However, if you are a natural salesman then you can be soooo successful in sales.

I would agree and say if all you cared about is money and prestige, dont go the pod/med route. Buy The Greatest Salesmen Ever, The Psychology of Selling and then any book by Grant Cardone and become a salesman.

I did door to door sales for a summer and it was freakin brutal. Such hard work, and so hard going days being rejected without making a sale. Its totally different than medical device sales, but sales in general is a tough gig. I did well though, and you definitely can succeed, but I feel like you almost have to have the sales "gene." You gotta have that personality, and be a closer, and be super self motivated and driven. However, if you are a natural salesman then you can be soooo successful in sales.

I would agree and say if all you cared about is money and prestige, dont go the pod/med route. Buy The Greatest Salesmen Ever, The Psychology of Selling and then any book by Grant Cardone and become a salesman.

I respect door to door sales. Med device companies to a lot too.
There is a ted talk on Emotional Quotient (EQ) vs IQ, that you pick up by speaking to people.
you deal with all sorts of people, get the door slammed in your face etc, its part of why so many med device companies actually require a year of this before joining their entry level roles.
I was able to bypass it because of previously working with the company

But yes, the good sales men make lots of money

I don't even understand why we are discussing medicine vs computer programming vs sales.

For most people who go to med school, medicine was the only passion anyways. Maybe it was between being a doctor and something else.

I don't even understand why we are discussing medicine vs computer programming vs sales.

For most people who go to med school, medicine was the only passion anyways. Maybe it was between being a doctor and something else.

Its mainly because OP said he wants to make money. The bottom line is podiatry isnt the way to make money.
The discussion of computer programming salaries, medical sales, even ib banking just goes to show that you should only go into podiatry if youre really interested in taking care of people's feet.

Podiatry is probably one of the least likely ways to cross 200 k in a short period of time.

What state are you from? The income is probably 3X more as well
The income is not that much lower from that in Cali. I lived in Cali before, so I can compare the life. 90% of my relatives and friends live there and work 2x harder to afford a living we have here where I live.

The income is not that much lower from that in Cali. I lived in Cali before, so I can compare the life. 90% of my relatives and friends live there and work 2x harder to afford a living we have here where I live.
What state are you from? The income is probably 3X more as well
Fresh nurse out of college can expect to get paid $30/hr.

The bottom line is podiatry isnt the way to make money.
The discussion of computer programming salaries, medical sales, even ib banking just goes to show that you should only go into podiatry if youre really interested in taking care of people's feet.
100%

Status
Not open for further replies.