Time for paternity leave during clinical rotations in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docren004

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here take time off for paternity leave during clinical rotations in med school? If so, how much time did you take off? Was it all at once, or spaced out? How did you make it work with your school and meeting your course requirements?

I'm also curious to hear about experiences of this during residency.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s really school specific and depends on your handbook, how much elective time you have, and whether there are chill rotations you can do while still being at home. You just have to ask your school what is possible and what other students have done

Reactions: 1 users
As alluded to above, it is going to vary by location. This goes for both medical school and residency. The people I know who have used maternal/paternal leave have taken it all at once. Some had to postpone their graduation/completion of residency.

Yes, definitely doable, I had coresidents take maternity/paternity leave all the time. It usually ended up delaying their graduation by a couple months, but as long as you are okay with that, then it’s doable.

Reactions: 1 user
In residency it will be both program and field dependent. Our GME benefits include a 2 week paid parental leave. In almost all cases, you can take unpaid FMLA leave. In our IM program, you could take up to ~3 months of FMLA leave before extension of training would be required.

Reactions: 3 users
In residency it will be both program and field dependent. Our GME benefits include a 2 week paid parental leave. In almost all cases, you can take unpaid FMLA leave. In our IM program, you could take up to ~3 months of FMLA leave before extension of training would be required.
Was eligibility for FMLA dependent on some previous employment time period in your state? For example, some states or employers, not sure which, require one year of employment prior to FMLA eligibility? Edit: But maybe my recall of FMLA eligibility timelines is for 'paid' FMLA - ie pregnancy in California.

Last edited:
Was eligibility for FMLA dependent on some previous employment time period in your state? For example, some states or employers, not sure which, require one year of employment prior to FMLA eligibility? Edit: But maybe my recall of FMLA eligibility timelines is for 'paid' FMLA - ie pregnancy in California.
Paid time off is typically state/federal regulated and varies. FMLA (which is federal) requires 12 mos of employment. The state I live in requires 6.

The need to repeat time in rotations (MS or residency) varies from place to place though.

Reactions: 2 users
Although the federal law requires 12 months of employment, employers can decide to offer FMLA at any time. Federal FMLA is unpaid, some states have paid programs.